It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleaning up some anti GMO disinformation that has been littering the internet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I guess you missed my question.
Can you provide evidence that neonicotinoids are incorporated into GM plants? None of your source have said that, except for the one I first commented on.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I also have a personal question for you Sir. Have You ever Eaten food products made from GMO Plants ? If so , how are you feeling lately ? Regardless of the Enviormental Impact these GMO Crops have on Wildlife in general , their effects on Human Health over a period of time , ( say 10 to 20 years ) , has yet to be determined by the producers of said crops , have they ? The Injestion of Any Pesticide into the Human Body in any sense could not be considered Healthy , can it not ? Even the FDA has had reservations about approving their use , why not you ?
edit on 7-10-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

So you understand that your first source was lying and are now changing the subject. Got it.

Have You ever Eaten food products made from GMO Plants
Pretty sure I have. Pertty sure you've been eating them to. But since they aren't labled I can't be absolutely sure.

If so , how are you feeling lately ?
Pretty good.

Regardless of the Enviormental Impact these GMO Crops have on Wildlife in general , their effects on Human Health over a period of time , ( say 10 to 20 years ) , have yet to be determined by the producers of said crops , have they ?
Well, since they've been on the market for 19 years or so I'd say that there dosen't seem to be much in the way of health effects.

Even the FDA has had reservations about approving their use , why not you ?
Really? But the topic isn't pesticides is it?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The GMO Seeds are treated with Neonicotinoids . Is that not True ?

" Neonicotinoids are often used to treat seeds before they're planted to protect the seedlings from insect damage.

"They are a seed treatment -- a powder that's applied to the seeds," said Adrian Card, a Colorado State University extension agent for Boulder County. ............." When the seed germinates, it takes the insecticide into the seed "..................... As the plant grows, the insecticide is systemic."

Because the insecticide is taken up through the plant and incorporated into the plant's tissues, neonicotinoids can be found in pollen. "

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Maybe.
So are non-Seeds treated. So are neonicotinoids sprayed on plants.
So, saying that GM plants are killing bees is a nice bit of disinformation. Isn't it?
edit on 10/7/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Phage

Maybe.
So are non-Seeds treated. So are neonicotinoids sprayed on plants.
So, saying that GM plants are killing bees is a nice bit of disinformation. Isn't it?

" neonicotinoids can be found in pollen. "

How are Bees Not effected by that ?

GMO Crops are designed to be Insect resistant by incorporating a Pesticide within itself , no ?

edit on 7-10-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

How are Bees Not effected by that ?

Who said that? Not me.

This is nothing but disinformation...your source:

European scientists have linked bee epidemics to neonicotinoids, which are incorporated into plants grown from genetically altered seeds produced by Monsanto.

Are GM plants genetically altered to contain neonicotinoids? No.
Are GM plants produced by Monsanto the only source of neonicotinoids? No.

Can't you see how you have been manipulated? Do you like being manipulated?

GMO Crops are designed to be Insect resistant by incorporating a Pesticide within itself , no ?
Some are, yes. None with neonicotinoids. And you know that virtually all plants naturally contain pesticides, right? Plants like tobacco (nicotene...get it?)
www.fortfreedom.org...
www.hort.purdue.edu...
www.botgard.ucla.edu...
www.amnh.org...

But this has gotten hopelessly off topic.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well , I agree to disagree with you , OK ? Fact of the matter is , our Bodies are Temples , and putting anything into them that is Not Natural ain't Natural............

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Hollie

I did not bring up heirloom seeds because I am saying that ALL seeds are GMO free that are sold to the general public.

How can you make such a claim? In the labeling debate, non-GMO farmers aren't allowed to label their products as GMO-FREE because there is no testing method available to substantiate their claim. Are you holding out on some new technology that the rest of us don't know about?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

In the labeling debate, non-GMO farmers aren't allowed to label their products as GMO-FREE because there is no testing method available to substantiate their claim.

The OP is talking about seeds as you directly quoted. Not products containing GM materials.

www.burpee.com...
www.rareseeds.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
*coughs*
No, not at all, Monsanto just owns all the seed companies in the USA, and they're so so so honest.
Their seeds have been contaminating crops and are planted in places they should be, *somehow*, but poor poor Monsanto is misunderstood.
Theyre killing our bees, covering it up, but they want to help us.
They won't feed their own families what they want to force us to eat, but they're trying keep us all fed.
Bill Gates has hoarded all the heirloom seeds they have made it illegal for farmers to keep, or go to jail, but they're being completely honest with us. It's all for our own Gggooooood...
They would never ever..... Lie.
No no no, not poor misunderstood Monsanto.

Hey, I have this bridge. It's in Brooklyn, wanna buy it? Cheap.... Few dent and dings, but it'sa fixer upper.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Tinkerpeach
reply to post by jude11

They may be a criminal corporation but as far as threatening the worlds food supply, that is just fear-mongering.

Nobody is dropping dead from Monsanto seeds or even getting sick.

Nobody is dropping dead your right.

Non GMO crops are, however.

Canola is one of the four genetically engineered crops grown in Canada. Canola is Canada's most second valuable crop, after wheat. Almost all the canola grown in Canada is genetically engineered. Widespread contamination from GE canola has eliminated organic canola in most areas of Canada (non-GE canola is grown on Prince Edward Island for export to Japan).

LINK

As the article points out, canola was sort of messed with even before GMO but only as far as selective breeding.

Forget selective breeding. If you don't by Round up, you don't grow canola.

If Monsanto, Bayer and Cargill goes out of business, Who is going to take the responsibility of caring on with the seeding of soil that cannot take any other product brand?

Would that not make Round up and products like the masters of the earth. Talk about too big to fail. If these guys got together and said "no food for you" like some soup Nazi, what are you going to do about it. Can't grow your own seed.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Your post is very well put together and can convince most of the people. However, I disagree with your claims and those of Monsanto.

You see,fundamentally what comes from nature is free. Trees make oxygen for free. The sun evaporates water and forms clouds moved by the winds, those clouds heavy will precipitate on a mountain top and the water trickles down to be filtered and nourished with minerals naturally through the rock and the such, all for free. Bees make honey for free. Nobody invented an apple or a carrot . All the processes I named cannot be reproduced by man as perfectly as they are executed in nature. Here are a few examples of our attempts at emulating nature, we are smart but our hearts are not in the right place. We try to make air filters, none are as nice efficient, provide a home for animals, are as durable and self sustaining, make shade cooling the earth surface as do trees. We try to emulate the healthy effects of the sun, but none are as radiant, warm, beautiful and life giving as the one and only sun. Also, we try to make fruits and veggies, but none are as tasty and as nutritious as the ones naturally grown. So, we see a pattern emerging here don't we?

Monsanto spends millions of dollars on research which in turn makes seeds unnatural and expensive. They try to control nature instead of working with it. They patent nature. Those are the goals: money and control. Not self sustaining processes of perpetual growth. Instead, controlled growths that can be quantified and measured. The pollen from the crops or should I say patents can spread and contaminate the rest of natural occurring growths giving Monsanto legal rights over nature, and nature cannot defend itself. Nobody owns it. Or maybe it can and it will react in its own way, but that is not my or your concern. You will be long gone before we might see the real effects, if any are too occur.

So, out of principle, I strongly recommend everyone to not support companies that are owned or funded by Monsanto, because we don't need anyone, let alone a corporation who is not even a living entity, unaccountable, to patent nature.

So, yeah! The seeds in those packages are GMO free. So what? Your still putting out a fire with a bottle of oil labeled water. Don't give your money to anyone when you know the history, intention and philosophy of said entity or individual that don't serve our best interest.

Wouldn't you agree?
edit on 7-10-2013 by bitsforbytes because: I am only human

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit

Care to elaborate further on why you feel the Links i Posted are somehow irreputable ? I guess your Scientic Expertise is more reputable than theirs ?

Yes I will, however you don't need scientific evidence to know that GMO seeds are not sold to the general public. All you have to do is try and buy them, but you can't LOL. This is not about expertise, it's just fact. Also, I HATE even posting links to these examples, but I will do it for you.

Anyway, Natural News, with their large and loyal reader base, constantly spreads disinformation about GMO seeds. Actually that site publishes a lot of garbage. Look at the example link I provided. In the list here that Natural News provides of non GMO seeds (the occupyMonsanto link), only ONE company is owned by Monsanto and that is Simenis, and Simenis does not sell GMO seed to the public, period. The rest of the seed companies are not owned by Monsanto, and NOR do they sell GMO seeds. Not one company on this "blacklist" does this!

www.naturalnews.com... urces.html

Now look at the example article from Mercola. In this article, Mercola claims that Monsanto and the other giants such as Syngenta, Dupont, etc., have bought up over 200 seed companies. But Monsanto only owns 18 brands and only 2 of those are actual vegetable seed companies that are available to the public, and neither sell GMO seed. The article groups Syngenta in with that huge ownership of seed companies, however the seed retailers are not owned by Syngenta. Johnny's Seeds, Heritage Seeds, and American Seeds do buy their vegetable seed varieties from Syngenta, but they are simply retailers. Syngenta does not offer their GMO seed products and brands to the general public either. DuPont doesn't even sell vegetable seeds, just commercial commodity crop seeds that I know of. Their seeds are sold under Pioneer, and Pioneer only has a few seed brands of either GMO or high commodity seed crop which is not available to the general public. Bayer and Dow do not sell vegetable seeds to the public either, that I know of anyways. The point really is that no, Monsanto and the other big players did not buy up 200 seed companies. If you look at the chart Mercola provided, these companies actually absorbed other bio-tech companies that were engineering and manufacturing large agri crop seed to begin with.

articles.mercola.com... ic...

You also posted some random Wordpress blog about honey bees. Not one source is included to back up the writers claims. That is one lazy author because there are possibly many sources to support the claim being made. The author fails to even spell Monsanto correctly in his/her title.

This is the stuff I am talking about. Being anti GMO is one thing, but we cannot be ignorant about it.
edit on 7-10-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Bone75

In the labeling debate, non-GMO farmers aren't allowed to label their products as GMO-FREE because there is no testing method available to substantiate their claim.

The OP is talking about seeds as you directly quoted. Not products containing GM materials.

www.burpee.com...
www.rareseeds.com...

www.examiner.com...

but recently, Burpee has fallen under controversy over allegations of buying and sellingGMO seeds.

Yeah, they just buy from a Monsanto subsidiary, also very honest.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

Yes, I agree. I am simply dispelling the lies. I don't want someone with good intentions to sound like an idiot, and it happens on a daily basis, especially on this site, when it comes to GMO seeds. I mean I seriously had an argument with someone that honestly believes every garden patch in America is growing GMO seeds.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Wasn't GMO wheat found mysteriously growing in a farmers field in Oregon this spring? And then another case was found in Oregon a few weeks later?
Aren't farmers everywhere complaining of cross-pollination?
Should man really be creating new species?
No wonder I have insomnia some nights...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

PtolemyII

Phage
reply to post by Bone75

www.burpee.com...
www.rareseeds.com...

www.examiner.com...

but recently, Burpee has fallen under controversy over allegations of buying and sellingGMO seeds.

Yeah, they just buy from a Monsanto subsidiary, also very honest.
Ptolemy, you will never EVER find GMO seeds for sale to the general public. I explained why in the OP. Burpee buys high demand hybrids from Seminis. Seminis does not sell GMO seeds to seed companies, home garden centers, nor plant growers.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

This is why all of us who have grown our own for years, and have hated Monsanto for years, won't touch anything even remotely related to a Monsanto company.
If you cannot do dna testing on the seeds you buy, no way to know unless you trust the company.
Companies NOT OWNED OR AFFILATED TO MONSANTO, are like 2%of all seed companies in the USA.
Fairly crappy odds.
Given the only one here supporting you is the master of government disinformation, of ATS, I dare say no one is buying your claims.
Oh well.
I still have that bridge in Brooklyn.... Interested?
edit on 10/7/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join