It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinct tree grows anew from ancient jar of seeds unearthed by archaeologists.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by MALBOSIA

A commonly grown staple food crop is an important thing.

Even thought i don't espouse judeochristian views, i see the value in this from a historical perspective, a cultural perspective, and a nutritional perspective.

Don't tell Monsanto.

Better they just left it in the ground.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago and seeing a picture of the sapling at maybe a few centimeter in height. I'm glad to see that it survived and is now a couple of meters tall.
I suspect that this jar that contained the palm dates with the pulp. With the passage of time, the pulp dessicated and the closed lid environment preserved the seeds.
I enjoy reading these stories. It reminds me of how the Wollemi pine in Australia was thought to be extinct, but someone found a small group/grove of Wollemi pine deep in some ravine. A project was started to make clones and actually cross-pollinating the remaining individuals to produce seeds and grow them. Now the Wollemi pine project is selling saplings and spreading them all over the world.
This made my day.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Date palms are one my prized beauties because of the variety in size & fronds (silver to canary to lil pygmies) as well as extreme drought-hardiness (great for xeriscaping in our rainliess mediterranean climate of coastal long beach/southern los angeles county)

Awesome! Looking forward to a followup on this species (or subspecies or cultivar)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
That is awesome

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

Great find thanks for sharing. Amazing seeds that old can germinate!

seeds are a marvelous piece of technology.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Simply amazing! This reminds me of those scientist trying to recreate the silly mammoth from that frozen specimen they found. Science and nature are beautiful. I wonder if they will send some seeds to the seed vault in Norway once they're available.

-BmwSauber

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

gardener
Date palms are one my prized beauties because of the variety in size & fronds (silver to canary to lil pygmies) as well as extreme drought-hardiness (great for xeriscaping in our rainliess mediterranean climate of coastal long beach/southern los angeles county)

Awesome! Looking forward to a followup on this species (or subspecies or cultivar)

Wonder how they would do here in the desert? My purple sages grow like crazy, as does my lantana and golden trumpets.

I would LOVE to have date palms. I am having to dig out some drought stricken/fire blighted shrubs, and might like to replace them with something more hardy and for a dry climate.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

MALBOSIA
On topic:

Wow, you found a seed. Good for you.

edit on 7-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

Pretty much your whole post was sheer ignorance, culminating in your saying bringing back an entire extinct species to life is a simple achievement that isn't noteworthy.

What else would I expect from someone like you though.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

StoutBroux

new_here
A jar of these seeds unearthed? If forests of these things grew abundantly, then there would have been no real reason to save seeds, until the trees began to be wiped out by the invading armies.

Some smart dude (or dudette) had the presence of mind to create a lil seed vault for them in the desert... good on him/her!

A lesson for us all? (In the wake of GM seeds-- perhaps I'll dig a hole out back and find a suitable jar...)

Super idea. Just need to find a suitable container, maybe something of baked clay with an airtight lid. Put your seeds in along with a note of description if they're not in a descriptive package. I'm gonna do this, just gotta figure out which seeds to put in.

If you come up with an idea for the airtight lid on a baked clay pot, please share. Very interested!

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA
On topic:

Pretty much your whole post was sheer ignorance, culminating in your saying bringing back an entire extinct species to life is a simple achievement that isn't noteworthy.

Hey hey, whats this "like you " BS?

Curious....

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

MALBOSIA

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA
On topic:

Curious....

Blind hatred towards Jews, where everything is their fault somehow.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Wait till monsanto get their hands on this seed and mutate it.

On a positive note 2000 year old tree is awesome.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
they want to do that with extinct animals too. It's almost a guarantee that it's already been done in many secret labs. What I think would be interesting though is if they did it and then released the species. Especially birds like the carrier pigeon. Just remake some bread them and then eventually when there's enough of them let them go into the wild to grow again. They would likely flurish now that people don't eat them anymore.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

What about resin or tar to seal the lid on the pot?

Trying to find out how these seed were found - (I mean) what container they were found in.

It'll be interesting to find out how different the genetics are to modern date palm.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

spartacus699
they want to do that with extinct animals too. It's almost a guarantee that it's already been done in many secret labs. What I think would be interesting though is if they did it and then released the species. Especially birds like the carrier pigeon. Just remake some bread them and then eventually when there's enough of them let them go into the wild to grow again. They would likely flurish now that people don't eat them anymore.

Or perhaps it's happening now through transgenics. Things like mixing coral or jellyfish genes into fish to be pets. Or crossing a salmon with an eelpout to make a faster growing salmon for food.

Then there are the things like transgenic GMO foods that pervade just about everywhere around the planet in the form of things like corn, soy, canola, and much more.

Let's not forget about the Montauk Monster too

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Philippines

spartacus699

Or perhaps it's happening now through transgenics. Things like mixing coral or jellyfish genes into fish to be pets. Or crossing a salmon with an eelpout to make a faster growing salmon for food.

Then there are the things like transgenic GMO foods that pervade just about everywhere around the planet in the form of things like corn, soy, canola, and much more.

Let's not forget about the Montauk Monster too

If they do alter fish like that they need to alter them in such a way that they can't survive in the wild. Perhaps a deficiency that requires special food that would kill them in the wild.

Montauk monster was just a creature with mange and bloating, nothing special.
edit on 8-10-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Quote from OP
"By the time the Roman Empire sought to usurp control of the kingdom in 70 AD, broad forests of these trees flourished as a staple crop to the Judean economy — a fact that made them a prime resource for the invading army to destroy. Sadly, around the year 500 AD, the once plentiful palm had been completely wiped out, driven to extinction for the sake of conquest"

In Biblical history and also by independent sources, there was a time when the Romans destroyed the Temple and left no stone upon another........ total decimation.

The modern time rebuilding of the Temple on the Dome of the Rock location has a prescribed chain of events for the Temple ceremonies, and a specific list of things needed to do this. Among those are robes, incenses, A type of Red bull, anointing oils and several things which in antiquity the Romans utterly destroyed, making some of these things all but unobtainable. It was done on purpose...... the officials and emperors knew well of the scriptures relating to the Rebuilding of the temple, hence their attempt to confound prophecy.
Having this information, it would appear that perhaps these 'Date Trees' were victim to the Roman destruction by design...?

But if there is to be a Rebuilding of the Temple and all the necessities for that in place, you can be sure nothing will prevent this from happening under God's direction. He has no doubt hidden these things until the last days (modern times ie. now) and their re-discovery will be forthcoming.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA

OccamsRazor04

MALBOSIA
On topic:

Curious....

Blind hatred towards Jews, where everything is their fault somehow.

Ultra orthodox Jews are no different than the same extremity if Christianity or Islam. These guys follow the book to the letter. I expressed my view on certain sect of a religion that might take the content of the OP a little too serious. You come at me with accusations of bigotry... Lame.

Is Israel a religious extremest state taken by violence in the 20th century and relying on violence and religious based propaganda in order to survive ever since? I know the answer to that one. YES!

You resurrect that plant in a region inhabited by religious extremists who's scripture describes such an event as the sign of the end.... and then call it a GOOD thing?
How do you know that plant wasn't supposed to be dead? Maybe nature intended that. Just because it was written in some fictional book, that is good enough reason to resurrect it?

The average Joe Jew wouldn't care or read into it that much. The focus of my statement was towards the ultra orthodox breed that may read into this like the rest of their book, too much.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

new_here
If you come up with an idea for the airtight lid on a baked clay pot, please share. Very interested!

I was thinking of a clay pot with a flat lid that fit as perfectly as possible using a natural resin or even a heavy wax as bonding agent, any ideas? How were the OP seeds stored? That might be the answer.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Wow... impressive. I guess life is full of surprises!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join