It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinct tree grows anew from ancient jar of seeds unearthed by archaeologists.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Boy I love this stuff! Judean date palm trees long extinct, known for their sweet fruit and shade since roman times are born again.

From its founding some 3,000 years ago, to the dawn of the Common Era, the trees became a staple crop in the Kingdom of Judea, even garnering several shout-outs in the Old Testament. Judean palm trees would come to serve as one of the kingdom’s chief symbols of good fortune; King David named his daughter, Tamar, after the plant’s name in Hebrew.

By the time the Roman Empire sought to usurp control of the kingdom in 70 AD, broad forests of these trees flourished as a staple crop to the Judean economy — a fact that made them a prime resource for the invading army to destroy. Sadly, around the year 500 AD, the once plentiful palm had been completely wiped out, driven to extinction for the sake of conquest.

I hope to some day taste them.

www.treehugger.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Cool I hope they can make a comeback. Now if it was that easy for all the other extinct species we could really celebrate.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Like the Old Kingdom is coming back to life!!

It's kinda a miracle...

The restoration of a tree species from a jar of seeds a couple thousand years old!
edit on 7-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: changed: form to from

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Great find thanks for sharing. Amazing seeds that old can germinate!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

YES! a chance to bring back lost species that could benefit all of mankind!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Way cool! That's really interesting. Kinda Jurassic parkish.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I like to read a lot of different perspectives on the state of humanity, now I don't know if this is something I read in nostradamus, or Casey Or the bible but if I remember correctly who was it that wrote about extinct species of plants coming back in the end times, would an event like a species of tree that was extinct fall into that category

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the post this is wonderful, did they not do the same thing with wheat found in a burial chamber in Egypt, I cannot remember.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

DonVoigt
I like to read a lot of different perspectives on the state of humanity, now I don't know if this is something I read in nostradamus, or Casey Or the bible but if I remember correctly who was it that wrote about extinct species of plants coming back in the end times, would an event like a species of tree that was extinct fall into that category

You got that Brother!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Daavin

they were tomato seeds but yeh same thing

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by toddy3174

Nein Nicht eine Tomato seed!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If this tree was wiped out in 500AD then how do they know they have one? This could be any type of date palm tree.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
A jar of these seeds unearthed? If forests of these things grew abundantly, then there would have been no real reason to save seeds, until the trees began to be wiped out by the invading armies.

Some smart dude (or dudette) had the presence of mind to create a lil seed vault for them in the desert... good on him/her!

A lesson for us all? (In the wake of GM seeds-- perhaps I'll dig a hole out back and find a suitable jar...)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

This is absolutely amazing and thrilling. Thanks, OP. Wonderful.

It gives me hope.

Blue Wolf

edit on 7-10-2013 by Caroline13456 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

buster2010
If this tree was wiped out in 500AD then how do they know they have one? This could be any type of date palm tree.

I am trying to find further research , but it sounds like the real deal.

Just think , with all the crap in the world...this could be cool!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is amazing, I love to see good news posted here. It would be awesome to taste an extinct fruit that was at one point a major part of people's diet.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

DonVoigt

Great...

Israel and the fanatical ultra orthodox Jews... I swear those clowns are right up there with Ron Hubbard.

From the OP link

From its founding some 3,000 years ago, to the dawn of the Common Era, the trees became a staple crop in the Kingdom of Judea, even garnering several shout-outs in the Old Testament. Judean palm trees would come to serve as one of the kingdom's chief symbols of good fortune; King David named his daughter, Tamar, after the plant's name in Hebrew.

I am not going to go out on a limb and claim conspiracy on this topic but I will say this....

If the end of days or the Apocalypse or what ever crap these BS books talk about ever does come to pass or anything remotely like it... It WILL BE as a direct result of something done or caused by Israel. Guaranteed!

I wouldn't doubt it if some of them WANT it to happen just so they can claim their book his holier.

On topic:

Wow, you found a seed. Good for you.

edit on 7-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MALBOSIA

A commonly grown staple food crop is an important thing.

Even thought i don't espouse judeochristian views, i see the value in this from a historical perspective, a cultural perspective, and a nutritional perspective.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

new_here
A jar of these seeds unearthed? If forests of these things grew abundantly, then there would have been no real reason to save seeds, until the trees began to be wiped out by the invading armies.

Some smart dude (or dudette) had the presence of mind to create a lil seed vault for them in the desert... good on him/her!

A lesson for us all? (In the wake of GM seeds-- perhaps I'll dig a hole out back and find a suitable jar...)

Super idea. Just need to find a suitable container, maybe something of baked clay with an airtight lid. Put your seeds in along with a note of description if they're not in a descriptive package. I'm gonna do this, just gotta figure out which seeds to put in.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Can police dogs sniff out seeds in a clay pot?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join