It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New shape-shifting metals discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

It is the prototype of a new family of smart materials that could be used in applications ranging from space vehicles to electronics to jet engines.

Called a "martensite", the crystal has two different arrangements of atoms, switching seamlessly between them.

It can change shape tens of thousands of times when heated and cooled without degrading

New shape-shifting metals discovered

WOW! This has shades of Roswell all over it. In the alledged crash the metal recovered from the crash was said to be like the new metals discovered here. Metals that can be shaped into whatever and then return to its original form.

Hands up anyone who thinks that this recent discovery does lead some credence of the descriptions given back in 1947? We are only just now discovering this technology. It certaintly made me think!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
That's pretty cool but we've actually had something very similar for a while...

It's called Nitinol - & is also a nickel/titanium alloy...
edit on 4-10-2013 by coldkidc because: I can't type...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Cool news this could be interesting ...

"You could make devices that convert heat to electricity directly. They could use the waste heat from computers and cell phones to recharge the battery and make them more efficient."

As for any link to the alleged Roswell memory metal who knows , maybe , maybe not

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

"Discovered" or reverse engineered? Who knows where this technology got started?
I heard from a VERY reliable source about a string like product. It's as loose as a piece of string, but when you give an electrical current to the material it's as strong as steal. BOING. You CAN'T bend it.
They played with it for hours.
The electrical charge was a 9 volt battery.
L.E.D.S have long been rumored to have been reverse engineered through Bell Labs and when they split up the phone companies, Bell took the technology and repackaged it.

Kinda like TANG? That couldn't have been made on earth right?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss
WOW! This has shades of Roswell all over it.

So... you didnt actually bother to read the article?

The news it talks about, is merely a better form of shape memory alloys that we have already (like the famous nitinol) that is more durable.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Dear Bagpuss, ATS Readers, Writers,

I must admit that its properties seem to mimic those of the legendary Roswell materials.

One must ask, or wonder have they known since Roswell times that these few metals when combined in the correct alloy, in the proper percentages of metals would somehow become almost magical in its properties?

Have they been working on trying to copy the properties since Roswell times?

Is it time to bring forth hidden technologies to try and resurrect the dying "west" economy?

Interesting news item and S&F from me dear bagpuss..lol.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
May I?

Taking Out the T-1000 | Terminator 2: Judgment Day | Classic Clips
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMUotV2WdiU
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Yep, it was just discovered 66 years ago.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

pravdaseeker
I must admit that its properties seem to mimic those of the legendary Roswell materials.

One must ask, or wonder have they known since Roswell times

There's a wonderful research tool called the internet, that could stop you "asking" or "wondering".

The first reported steps towards the discovery of the shape-memory effect were taken in the 1930s. According to Otsuka and Wayman, A. Ölander discovered the pseudoelastic behavior of the Au-Cd alloy in 1932. Greninger and Mooradian (1938) observed the formation and disappearance of a martensitic phase

In other words, long before Roswell.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Greetings alfa1..

It was meant in a rhetorical sense...

But as usual for ATS, one can always COUNT on a smart a** reply from someone.

Thanks for the info..

Pravdaseeker

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss
Hands up anyone who thinks that this recent discovery does lead some credence of the descriptions given back in 1947? We are only just now discovering this technology. It certaintly made me think!

Martensite was discovered by German metallurgist Adolf Marten, who died in 1914.

So I'm going to vote......nah.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
party poopers...

are you trying to tell me that T1000 was a lie?

this is why I love this forum - every day I can learn something new!

thank you alfa & co
edit on 7-10-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

top topics

join