It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran passes ‘pedophilia’ law to let men marry adopted girls

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Bisman

i dont see a problem.

Wonders how long this farse would be held if it were his daughter that someday was married off to some old fart....

Oh, the humor here at ATS sometimes...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

SLAYER69

Bisman

i dont see a problem.

Wonders how long this farse would be held if it were his daughter that someday was married off to some old fart....

Oh, the humor here at ATS sometimes...

well me and my imaginary 13yo daughter (for the sake of discussion) did not grow up in iran and iranian culture. so it would be impossible to imagine our current US lives being any other way. society dosnt even have a purpose for a 13yo marrying off. (this is why americans are scared and disgusted by anyone under 18 doing anything) because it just wouldnt work here. regardless of what is accepted.

im sure tehran is a hell of a lot more progressive. may not law-wise, but how the people live. lifestyles arent quite so old fashioned.
but tribal/rural iran this isnt the case. and im sure thats what the laws were meant to keep in check.

if my wealth and well being in the region was dependant on me marrying another guys daughter and him marrying mine. well age seems irrelevant. they historically acknowledged "old enough" as being able to procreate. and that makes sense since family size is where it was at in some cultures.

im the US no one has anything to gain from my 13yo running off with some old guy. not even peace between 2 families. it dosnt work here.
edit on 4-10-2013 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

I hear you but still.

Why not allow the person * In this case a young girl * the opportunity to at least grow up first?
We can sit here all day long and give examples of how it is or was in other locations but that still does not make it right no matter where it happens or in this case sanctioned by law * For whatever reason * You know damned well there are "Predators" out there that are just ecstatic at this sort of thing...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

i dont see a problem. they set the age to 13. that seems to have been humanities normal low age standard for the bulk of history. cultures have always deemed people to be adults by around then.

So you really think these girls being married off to men they barely know actually give consent to be married. If I'm not mistaken it is forbidden to disobey your father under Sharia, so if your father says your marrying someone its more than likely going to happen.

Simply because in the past young teenagers were wed does lead credence to the idea that it is ethical. Children should have the opportunity not only to choose for themselves but to have an education and not be used as a one of the baby factories in a polygamist household.

it seems the real law that im glad they passed. was SETTING the age. instead of letting people help themselves to 4 year olds and such. that seems more responsible what they did.

Yeah passing a law that says now you can marry 13 year olds and sexually abuse them instead of 4 year olds seems like a significant step in the right direction *sarcasm mode off*

the whole 18/19/21yo thing (depending what western nation you are) is actually a very recent thing in history.

Well its well established that better decision making is found in individuals over the age of 18. Do you really think a 13 year old has a enough life experience to be prepared to be in a marriage or the burdens of childbirth?

and all of our american dreams, nuclear families, traditional household economies have all proven to fail horribly. arent we so smart and moral.

Yes traditional western society is more moral than that of middle eastern nations. We actually let people choose their lifestyles and don't execute people for committing adultery or sleeping with the same sex.

didnt god (chrsitians and jews) himself tell us to have multiple wives? wives of woman whom havnt yet grown breasts. he gifted us wives, and allowed us to buy them.

Yeah it did and it was just as immoral then as it is now. Islam follows the same bronze age BS that Christianity and Judaism does, the difference being that Islamic nations are fundamentalist theocracies.

but no. we are bad now.

If by we you mean fundamentalist Islamic theocrats than yes you are bad.

edit on 4-10-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

buster2010

Yes there is no source better then an Israeli propaganda site when you want info about Iran.

Fair enough.

Show us an Iranian source reporting this for us.

Please

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Do you wish to refute the source or the information it provides?

Or simply dismiss it as Zionist propaganda?

So whats your position on child marriage buster? Is it ethical or not?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
This has nothing to do with Religion.

There are states within the US that allows children to marry at 14 and there are states that allow cousins to marry.

Must have been invaded by Mooslims, huh?

You know, I was all set and happy to prove ya wrong. I was just sure...absolutely sure..you had to be mistaken. Self, (I said to myself), there cannot be a state that allows a marriage as young as 14. Well, self didn't answer this time. I think self is too ashamed at what was found.

New Hampshire....Get help. Somewhere. Just...seek help. We're a civilized nation!

US Teen Marriage Laws around the nation

(Of course, the groom must be at least 14. Such wisdom and life experience they require for the poor lass to be guided by.)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There is a huge difference *Self should admit* that if a 14 year old *Chooses* to marry she may. There is a big difference from Marrying off the Child even if she doesn't want to eh?

Wonders if Self is Self aware here on this one?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well there is a big question in asking if a 13 year old has the mental capacity to ever choose to marry for the commitment and, depending on circumstance, very serious situation that brings about immediately and for the long term. I'd say no. I've met some 16 year olds who could really make it and emancipate. Some do. I've never met a 13yr old. There is a lot of life packed in those 3 years, IMO.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

I am sure now Iran just got another reason be bombed and invaded, right?

I been sarcastic.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

marg6043

I am sure now Iran just got another reason be bombed and invaded, right?

I been sarcastic.

Hey Marge can I ask you a question?

Why is it when anything that exposes Iranian issues that there are some who automatically bring out the "Bombing /War/Attack Iran card" instead of discussing the issue/situation?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Non Americans comment on American laws...get told where to go, it's none of your business.

Americans comment on Iranian laws...

Too funny.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

khimbar
Non Americans comment on American laws...get told where to go, it's none of your business.

Too funny.

Havent read too many threads here at ATS eh?

Non Americans are the biggest and loudest critics...

*Something must be in the water today...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Too funny.

Anyone who criticizes someone for questioning the ethics of a specific policy/law without proper justification is just as ignorant as those who fail to point out the injustices of unethical policies which are passed in their own countries and others abroad.

We are all human beings and we all have the right to point out deplorable acts and laws. No invisible state border can hinder that.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
We are looking at it from our point of view, and in that sense, its fine for us to talk about it, but all of our ideas on it only correlate to the Western way of thinking, where its just the norm for them.

I had a Middleastern co-worker recently who had a 16 year old wife and child at home, and he was also being divorced from another...and all thru this...he was actively "scouting" for a new other wife...around 14 years of age. He would just laugh about it...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

We are looking at it from our point of view, and in that sense, its fine for us to talk about it, but all of our ideas on it only correlate to the Western way of thinking, where its just the norm for them.

That "norm" is unethical end of story. The argument that "oh thats just how it is over there" is not a good one by any stretch of the imagination. Forcing or arranging a marriage for an individual who is just getting to the point where they can appreciate and truly experience life is repugnant.

My point of view does not come from a western value system, it comes from empathy. The child who is wed to her fathers friend against her will and is raped on her wedding night deserves a voice because she cannot be heard by anyone within the system she lives in because as you said it is "just the norm for them".

I had a Middleastern co-worker recently who had a 16 year old wife and child at home, and he was also being divorced from another...and all thru this...he was actively "scouting" for a new other wife...around 14 years of age. He would just laugh about it...

Well next time you talk to him ask him why he feels it is ethical to deprive a child of a childhood.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

mysterioustranger

That's just it, it shouldn't be the 'norm'! It is sick and twisted and disgusting for any man to even think it is acceptable to marry a child. I don't care how these people are raised, even children have some common sense and know right from wrong.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Openeye

Well this is messed up.

Though apparently child marriages are quite common in Iran

MEMRI

Many of these marriages are used as family dispute resolutions. Its like a George R. R. Martin novel over there.

Look this is ridiculous.why don't we invade iran?

we have thousands of tanks in irak and all we need to do is drive across the border and sort out this nest of vipers
and their evil nuclear intentions.

we must stop these peedos.

we must start preparing to sort out these terrorists and peedos and bad people.

we must show them the RIGHT WAY of civilsation.
edit on 4-10-2013 by beckybecky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

Yeah sure because invading a nation of religious extremists will prove very productive. Hell history has taught us that!

See I can play the sarcasm game too

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

Absolutely. That is the answer. We in the west have determined the right and correct way to live. And it is our responsibility to force these people to comply with that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join