It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran passes ‘pedophilia’ law to let men marry adopted girls

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Geez. I dont need an explanation or any "Oh YEAH? Well....blah, blah." I was just commenting about the ways in general of other countries. Its their way of doing things. Not ours. Nor mine. Same thing with every other country in the world.

They believe the way they do...Should we care? Of course. Will it change any single thing over there? Absolutely not...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Malynn
reply to post by beckybecky

Absolutely. That is the answer. We in the west have determined the right and correct way to live. And it is our responsibility to force these people to comply with that.

Oh brother. Somebody stop this planet.

I want off already.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Openeye
The argument that "oh thats just how it is over there" is not a good one by any stretch of the imagination. Forcing or arranging a marriage for an individual who is just getting to the point where they can appreciate and truly experience life is repugnant.

My point of view does not come from a western value system, it comes from empathy.

TRUTH...
I'll leave it at that.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

He, he, he, I read that and I just could not stop laughing, see the Attack evil Iran never ends, is always something new that comes out to keep reminding us how evil, backwards, out of day, stone age, cave dwellings and whatever they are, we need to keep hating them.

So with this new "unthinkable" deed of the latest news we need to hurry up and bomb them before they come for our 13 years old girls here in the US.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

If you couldn't ascertain that my post was 100% sarcasm I don't know what to say to you Slayer.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

If literal it demonstrates ignorance.
If sarcastic it's just pot stirring.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

And what is the purpose of this thread Slayer? Other than looking down our noses at a culture we don't belong to nor understand? That seems both ignorant and pot-stirring to me.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I was just commenting about the ways in general of other countries. Its their way of doing things. Not ours. Nor mine. Same thing with every other country in the world.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit extreme but this issue really gets to me.

Sure countries around the world do things differently, but some deserve to be treated with the outpost disdain. These problems are far to great to be greeted with any form of courtesy.

They believe the way they do...Should we care? Of course. Will it change any single thing over there? Absolutely not...

I do not agree

Education and activism are some of the best ways to influence change in nations in the middle east, IMO they are the only way to change anything. God knows our governments solutions have not been working, political and military solutions only anger the majority of middle eastern states. The only thing to do is attempt to influence the people so they can in turn influence their governments.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Well, it's better than most Islamic countries out there. Anyone remember the recent eight year old bride who died on her wedding night of internal bleeding?

Sure you do, but here's a link to refresh that memory. (Protip, she's not the first child to die of underage marriage either. Remember the Prophet Mohammad and his bride?)

Another muppet here claimed this wasn't a "religious" thing, of course it isn't. It's a Muslim thing. Thankfully, some Muslims are waking up and realizing this is wrong. Unfortunately, they're the minority.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

Other than looking down our noses at a culture we don't belong to nor understand?

That culture just so happens to involve human beings that are being abused by laws that subjugate women, outlaw dissonance, and murder individuals for loving someone of the same sex.

That seems both ignorant and pot-stirring to me.

You can't sit there and tell me how addressing these issues and opening them up to a forum for discussion crosses any ethical lines or is not worthy of some sort of dialogue.

What would you rather have, this pot stirring, or silence?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

hi malynn...thanks for jumpin in...my only point is the whole world, everywhere... is different, from all the rest. Period.

I didnt speak FOR or AGAINST...just that we are observing their way as wrong (it is to us of course)...but other countries do not see it that way. In fact some believe OUR way is the way of Satan. And they can believe that...we cant change what they think....

Lastly...they cut off one of your hands for stealing...or one of your feet for trespassing...or cut out your tongue for blaspheming GOD....by our standards...we are appalled. Its their form of justice.

Another absurdity my friend from Yemen said. He said I should go to visit his country: a really beautiful place. But when I get off the plain, he'd stand by and watch them KILL me because I was an adulterer because I was married once before. (none of that dbl standard makes any sense to me, when HE ws married more that once. He said yeah...but Im Arab!)

I asked what would happen? He said they would bury me up to my head in sand, with just the head, sticking out so they could stone me to death.

Incredulous...I asked what he would do for me about this. He said he'd grab a stone too to kill me....after all. I was an adulterer.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I am trying hard not to imagine my thirteen yr old daughter being married right now. She still teeters on the edge of childhood some days! Even if this happened a hundred years ago and it was/is culturally acceptable you cannot tell me that the social-emotional child development has changed that much. A kid is still a kid and I have seen lots of thirteen yr girls and boys and none of them has ever even remotely come close to being an adult or anything close to being ready for the emotional and physical duties of marriage. Bad idea. In more ways than one. I'm not looking at it as a cultural or religious thing, to me it simply is a matter of child development. Just because the body is able to reproduce doesn't mean the brain should.
edit on 4-10-2013 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2013 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Malynn
And what is the purpose of this thread Slayer? Other than looking down our noses at a culture we don't belong to nor understand? That seems both ignorant and pot-stirring to me.

Is that how you perceive it?

If this was a story about 13 year olds being legally married off in Michigan I'd say the same thing. At that point it must be anti Michiginian eh?

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
peoples opinion of what having a childhood is, changes quite a bit as the years roll on.

I mean nowadays an american child doesn't have responsibilities till he's nearly 30.
that's a lot of valuable growth time.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Didn't Woody Allen marry his adopted daughter? I remember that. Talk about eeeeeeewwwww
That kind of thing is some serious psychological hijinks .... I can't even imagine .....

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Bisman
I mean nowadays an american child doesn't have responsibilities till he's nearly 30.
that's a lot of valuable growth time.

You know at first I was going to disagree with you but on second thought I cant really disagree because many of this younger American generation these days simply don't bother TAKING responsibility for their own actions.

But that's a topic for a whole other thread all together.

edit on 4-10-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Well at one time it was common for people did marry at the age of about 14, it is pretty young, but not disgusting if the man is about the same age.
But what is sicko, is men marrying men and women marrying women, in fact two of the same sex isn't marriage, because marriage is between a man and woman.
Won't be long and the sicko's will want to marry their pets!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Openeye
reply to post by Malynn

That culture just so happens to involve human beings that are being abused by laws that subjugate women, outlaw dissonance, and murder individuals for loving someone of the same sex.

Human beings are abused and subjugated in every culture. No less in ours than in theirs. Regardless of what laws are in place. Because people are animals. And as others have pointed out in this very thread we've only decided in the last 50 - 100 years the "appropriate" age of marriage. My grandmother was married at the age of 16. Which is 3 short years older than 13. According to the rhetoric of our current, modern culture someone of that age wouldn't be mature enough to decide for themselves that they're ready for marriage. So does that make my grandpa a rapist or pedophile?

Also, didn't Woody Allen marry his adopted daughter? She wasn't 13 but I'm pretty sure she was pretty young. He isn't ostracized and in jail. Last I heard he was still in the entertainment industry.

You can't sit there and tell me how addressing these issues and opening them up to a forum for discussion crosses any ethical lines or is not worthy of some sort of dialogue. What would you rather have, this pot stirring, or silence?

I think most topics are worthy of some kind of dialogue. The question being, is the dialogue worthy? When people posts topics like this on ATS they aren't interested in "addressing the issue" and fostering dialogue. They're interested in being judgemental, and getting their hate on of Islam or Muslims with other like-minded members. So in this instance, personally, I'd rather have silence.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Only if you came in to the thread talking about how backwards and barbaric Michigan is. Which you know as well as I do will be repeated ad-nauseum in this thread about the middle east and or Islam.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Bisman

i dont see a problem. they set the age to 13. that seems to have been humanities normal low age standard for the bulk of history. cultures have always deemed people to be adults by around then.

it seems the real law that im glad they passed. was SETTING the age. instead of letting people help themselves to 4 year olds and such. that seems more responsible what they did.

the whole 18/19/21yo thing (depending what western nation you are) is actually a very recent thing in history. and all of our american dreams, nuclear families, traditional household economies have all proven to fail horribly. arent we so smart and moral.

didnt god (chrsitians and jews) himself tell us to have multiple wives? wives of woman whom havnt yet grown breasts. he gifted us wives, and allowed us to buy them.

but no. we are bad now.
edit on 4-10-2013 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

You don't see a problem... How about the body of a 13 year old not being physically able to cope with sex from an adult man and the subsequent pregnancy and birth? Serious birth problems are common for pregnant teenagers.

Yes god may have said to marry young wives in the bible but that was thousands of years ago, when peolple would be lucky to live to 30. (The god of the old testament was also a nasty piece of work judging by some of his tantrums.)
Having 13/14 year old wives ensured survival of the human race but it often resulted in death for the girl or being completely 'worn out' in a few years and then dropping dead. It is no longer necessary or acceptable to put girls through that.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join