It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Format Has Got Me Puzzled????....Please Help a Confused Old Man....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This is not really much of a rant, just a little bit of frustration and thought that some of you could help me. I am having a little trouble here on the new ATS format, like many other people recently. I am having a little trouble concerning the firehose list of posts gone by…

In the old ATS format, when you clicked on the firehose link button you used to be then taken to a new page which was full of older posts and they were listed there for some time. When I click on the new hose button link now there doesn’t seem to be as many threads listed as what there used to be. I have even added threads and obviously the more threads that are added, the more quickly they go to the hose page and then disappear and I can’t find them again…

I don’t know if it is just me, but I don’t think that certain threads are being seen or read and ATS members aren’t adding their responses because the new format is not allowing them to because they disappear so quickly and members don’t realize that they are there…

Does this make sense to folks out there, or is it just me and my technophobia…haha....after all, it took me 3 years to get used to the old format...

If you can point me in the right direction, then please do so…

Cheers all……

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Go to New Topics page, scroll all the way down to the bottom, older posts should load automatically.
Hope this helps

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

Go to New Topics page, scroll all the way down to the bottom, older posts should load automatically.
Hope this helps

Yeah, thanx for that, my only observation with going to the New Topics page is that all the threads are now in mixed order, unlike the old format where they used to be in order of time lapsed...

Oh well, just have to get used to this way before it changes again in 3 years time...

Cheers for the reply...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
The 'Live' button from the top line opens the traditional 3 column spread that used to be on New Topics for the old layout.

I like the New display on this format because if you just keep scrolling down and down and down, it will eventually stop..but now you can do a CTRL-F word search to find headlines that match something to start a new thread on quite a bit older than the other system. At least it seems that way for how far it goes back now.

I dunno.. I'm still finding little things around the menus and screens. I think S.O. may also still be adding small things while fixing others. Just my hunch.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Gadzooks, I had not even considered that issue. you are right.

I should have, only earlier I was searching a pdf document in firefox's plugin and it only populates the part of the document you're reading.. so search is basically useless.

same dealio here.. ahh.. crap.

I wonder how hard it would be to simply aggregate all the data from the front end, and bung it all into a super duper script to make your own forums.
But I do like the new interface now it's grown on me.. like a rash you love to itch... ohhhhh

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
The 'Live' button from the top line opens the traditional 3 column spread that used to be on New Topics for the old layout.

I like the New display on this format because if you just keep scrolling down and down and down, it will eventually stop..but now you can do a CTRL-F word search to find headlines that match something to start a new thread on quite a bit older than the other system. At least it seems that way for how far it goes back now.

I dunno.. I'm still finding little things around the menus and screens. I think S.O. may also still be adding small things while fixing others. Just my hunch.

Thanx for that Wrabbit......I have been struggling a little on the new format, like so many others. I much prefer the old ATS, but I suppose we all have to move with the times. But thanks for the CTRL-F word search idea, that's a good one....just hope it all doesn't change before I get used to what we have now...

Cheers...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I like the new format. I think Skeptic did an awesome job.

But I DO miss the 24 hour, chronological firehose. It was so easy to catch up when I got up in the morning, or between jobs during the day. I don't like the "new" listing near as much, and as you've stated, they aren't in chronological order. That really irks me. The only other thing I miss, are the emoticons. I have quit using emoticons altogether at this point.

Meh. It's only two things. As annoying as they are, I'll get used to them, and life will go on.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Klassified
I don't like the "new" listing near as much, and as you've stated, they aren't in chronological order.

Sure they are...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
What are you seeing that I'm not???

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Have you tried "Recent Posts"?
I live on Recent Posts rather than Firehose, and I suspect the same is true of many others.
On that route, there is no reason to fear that threads are getting missed, because everything turns up.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord

Klassified
I don't like the "new" listing near as much, and as you've stated, they aren't in chronological order.

Sure they are...

Just start opening threads from the top down. The OP time stamps will be all over the place. In the old firehose, they were in order according to the time the thread was posted. In the "new", a thread that was posted an hour ago, can actually be on top of a thread only posted 15 minutes ago.

OK. Now I just went back and checked it again, and the first several are in order. They weren't just minutes ago. Are you messing with me Skeptic? LOL. Or am I losing it?
edit on 10/3/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Klassified

I like the new format. I think Skeptic did an awesome job.

But I DO miss the 24 hour, chronological firehose. It was so easy to catch up when I got up in the morning, or between jobs during the day. I don't like the "new" listing near as much, and as you've stated, they aren't in chronological order. That really irks me. The only other thing I miss, are the emoticons. I have quit using emoticons altogether at this point.

Meh. It's only two things. As annoying as they are, I'll get used to them, and life will go on.

Yeah, I also think that a great job was done with the new ATS site, but I did prefer the old chronological listing order to see what I had missed while asleep....

I do like the emoticons, but like you I do miss the thumbs emoticon up to show a little more appreciation of particular threads....

But yeah, there are bigger things to worry about, so just get on with it until it is mastered again...

Cheers

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord

Klassified

Sure they are...

Wow Skeptic that is mad...

The link you sent me showed threads in time order, but when I click on them without the link they are all in a random order...

Maybe it's me, I don't know...

Weird though, I shall keep trying...

Cheers

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

OK. Now I just went back and checked it again, and the first several are in order. They weren't just minutes ago. Are you messing with me Skeptic? LOL. Or am I losing it?

The order of the new topic firehose was mentioned on Sept 30 in the bug report thread and it started working for me when SkepticOverlord addressed it that same day.

I've been using it since then, and it has appeared to be in accurate reverse chronological order, but I did not scrutinize it too heavily.

It would be odd if it you are having varying sort orders today unless SO is playing with something at the moment.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Who knows. Maybe it's a random glitch, but I KNOW I'm not imagining things. I don't want to make a major deal out of it. A job this big is bound to have glitches here and there. It comes with the territory.

new topics

top topics

join