It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Osborne Unveils Tough New Rules For Jobless

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Awesome. I wish we could get this in my country aswell.
Way too many people here, just sitting around being lazy, because they are getting paid more than enough to keep living and actually save up some money while at it.

It would also stop all the immigration we have in my country. Once again, way to many people from other countries, come here just to get the benefits and sit around in what to them is Utopia. While a big part of them get their benefits while doing crimes to earn even more. They get send to jail sometimes and as many of our immigrants say: "Jail/Prisen is a luxury compared to where I come from." Wtf?!

I would love to see this all around the world. Get of your ass, go clean the street, your local park, help the elderly, whatever. Just do something and give something back, instead of simply taking.

Heck, you dont even have to work as far as I can read, you can go study something, improve your skills.

Edit: As others have already said. The benefits however should be changed to match whatever the minimum wage is, in the given country.
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

If she is on the back to work program they may be helping her look for thsoe type of work!

You cant just click yor fingers and suddenly find approriate work!
It hard enough for a healthy person to find work so its mcuh harder to find work that fits one health as 90% of work is a no no.

I have been on ESA and it was a pain to find a new job to fit my health. Luckly for now I have. But its not a simple matter.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

TDawg61
We had something very similiar 150 years ago except it was called slavery.

Yes, conscripted labor is very much like slavery. It is just that the slave master is the state.

edit on 1-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I've been looking for a job for 3 years, applying almost everyday. it's true. there are no jobs. go on all the different job sites too, state website too.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Cool Judge Anderson Avatar by the way (or is it Hershey - the psi judge anderson was better especially when battling dredd's alernative universe alter ego Death), The problem is there are simply not enough places to put the unemployed in this work for benefit's scheme (which mean's that there PARTNERS IN BUISENESS WILL HAVE TO BE PAID FOR THE BURDEN OF WORKING THESE PEOPLE FOR NOTHING AND THE FULL TIME WORKERS THEY ALREADY EMPLOY WILL BECOME AN UNECESSARY BURDEN TO THESE PARTNERS), The owners of the tabloid's are major political backers and tend to push there own propegandist view's with the same intent as the nazi's in the 1930's and that being to blacken those they do not want.
The new idea of making the unemployed attend class in the job centre is good to stop the 'few' whom are fiddling the system but since most of those that are doing so come from eastern europe and the stereotypical layabout that the tory and there propegandists have used to paint all benefits claiment's as are ususally in area's of high unemployment.
It all began when Mr's T abolished the law linking wage's to the infation index and was predictable from that point but no one wanted to hear so as people earned only enough to eat they ended up better off on benefit's as a direct result of the TORY REFORMS OF THE 1980's.

Now why is labour so intent on breaking it's tie to the union's whom founded the party, well it comes down to whom pays for and therefore owns the party.

The union's do not bribe the politician's (though they do have some dirty laundry themselves) but the private interest group's and private financial backers DO (Remember the cash for honours scandal) so with the fall in contributions from the TUC related to falling union membership as the workers could no longer afford to pay to be in the union with there falling wages and the unions had there powers taken by Mrs T anyway the amount of private funding into labour went up and NEW LABOUR was born. Now no longer representative of the working class or the majority party it alway's was it was now a slightly left Conservative alternative leaving the conservative party no were to go but even further to the TORY right.

You have to remember the typical voter has a 5 minute memory and is easily led by a pretty speech so while they usher in the new age of serfdom the TORY part is recieving standing ovation's from most people because they believe the paper's not there own sense of social decay since the early 1980's and south of birmingham most of the money made from the sell off of nationalised company's and utilty's was unfairly spent in the TORY heart land were they actually did not need the investment.

But hey our country is gone and at the current rate of ethnic displacement so shall we be in a few generation's so let's be good sheep and die so the TORYS can enjoy there slave's whom will wipe there arses for the amount it costs to survive.

Remember we are all in it together - some more than others.

edit on 1-10-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
These measures don't go far enough IMO. We should be selecting 2 benefit claimants from each county, where every week they go head to head in a televised fight to the death for their benefit. We could have it on ITV presented by Ant and Dec. It would be a ratings sensation. Call it , The Benefit Games, or something like that.

I have to point out I'm joking, although, by looking at some of the posts in this thread, a few would probably quite like the idea.
edit on 1-10-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

woodwardjnr

I have to point out I'm joking, although, by looking at some of the posts in this thread, a few would probably quite like the idea.

Do I get to use my crossbow in these games?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

purplemer
reply to post by tridentblue

I think its smart and could work. Right now people don't want to hire unemployed, only employed. So get unemployed working at anything, learning new skills and staying active. Welfare checks should subsidize pay, so businesses can get their labor cheap, and start thinking in terms of creating jobs. unemployed will have no gaps in resume

Yes like sweeping floors and scurbbings looks real good on a cv and is fantastic work experience. You are defending the creation of an underclass. If the jobs are not there. They are not there and no amount of floor sweeping is going to help

That's a fairly pathetic response isn't it? Floors need sweeping, toilets need cleaning - who would you have do it? Bring in immigrants because it's obviously beneath you isn't it?

I'm lucky to have been in employment for quite a long time but spent two periods out of work (and probably will again before too long) and no job was beneath me. You sadly are illustrating the life of entitlement some people seem to believe is theirs. It isn't.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

woodwardjnr
These measures don't go far enough IMO. We should be selecting 2 benefit claimants from each county, where every week they go head to head in a televised fight to the death for their benefit. We could have it on ITV presented by Ant and Dec. It would be a ratings sensation. Call it , The Benefit Games, or something like that.

And some posts also seem to suggest that there should be no curb on welfare for anyone..... now maybe if those fights were initially at a regional/county level there may be an opportunity there for a career for some people. Hmmmm.......

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

uncommitted

That's a fairly pathetic response isn't it? Floors need sweeping, toilets need cleaning - who would you have do it? Bring in immigrants because it's obviously beneath you isn't it?

Tell you who should be doing it?

Someone on minimum wage!

Prefrebly with little to know education or work experiance.

But deffinatly minimum wage.

Every slave/Serf/Peasent you get to do a free job is a actually destroyed.

They should tweak the idea of instead of makeing long term unemployed do slave labour they should instead hire them at minimun wage to do a job suitable to ones work experiance/education.

To put it bluntly if they offerd minimum wage for the work the idea would be a alot more popular!
edit on 1-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I'm a 45 year old Branch Manager with a small staff. We clean our toilets once a week and we all take it in turns. I wouldn't ask anyone to do something that i don't do myself, and i have my own pair of marigolds at work to prove it. If the floor needs sweeping, then i sweep it. If the showroom needs vacuuming, then i whip the J. Edgar out and vacuum.

I'm not a kid and although my salary is way below the national average, it's not minimum wage. Furthermore, i would not employ some-one who is not prepared to get their hands dirty.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

kudegras
Anyone here seen photos from the depression in the 1920's. People lining up for the possibility of a days work in which they would be paid in food stamps and not money?
Many without shoes, with a starving wife and children at home. I used to hear my Dad tell me how his Mum would skip meals days on end just so the kids got a feed and how my Grandfather would line up day in and day out with the hope of finding work.
Our stories are pitiful in comparison, I think in some ways working for the dole gives back a little respect. If I end up out of work I will take that with the hope I may learn a new skill.
The world has changed with mechanisation and computerisation, there are less skilled blue collar jobs around.
In Australia we have become a banana republic and rely on tourism and imports.
Our manufacturing industry is dying as we cant compete with cheap asian imports.
So there are now a lot of importers and work in the transport industry, you just need to look outside your comfort zone and learn new skills.

The manufacturing jobs went away because our enlightened leaders gave them away to encourage a new world order:

The Lima Declaration of 1975
nesaraaustralia.com...

Previously discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Scorchio

I'm a 45 year old Branch Manager with a small staff. We clean our toilets once a week and we all take it in turns. I wouldn't ask anyone to do something that i don't do myself, and i have my own pair of marigolds at work to prove it. If the floor needs sweeping, then i sweep it. If the showroom needs vacuuming, then i whip the J. Edgar out and vacuum.

I'm not a kid and although my salary is way below the national average, it's not minimum wage. Furthermore, i would not employ some-one who is not prepared to get their hands dirty.

It not the case of the menial work. Hell I have had to scrub out bins that conatined CAT 2 Bio waste! So I can and will get my hands dirty Thats not the problem. Fact is my old student jobs of cleaning ect I dont even put on my CV they would be waste of space, Infact I did put them on once and my old aganecy said to remove as they took up space!

The big problem I see is:
1) Being paid below minmium wage. If they paid minimum wage I think that would sort out 99% of my objections.
2) Those with high work experaince/education only cleaning toliets pciking up litter. Fact is they could be quite easly put into service in a counsil office or a emergancy service center and as well as doing work (for minimum wage) they could learn something that would actually be put on a CV. You kill two birds with one stone here? You get them working and getting some good experiance? If I lost my job, going to work say cleaning Ambulances out and looking after the equipment or doing lab work in a NHS hospital would do some valuble work and give me something to add to my CV. Lot better? Same with IT experts, Administartors ect The really crap work can be left to the druggies and uneducated wasters like it should be and there wont be a shortage. Makeing a high skilled person do only menial work doesnt benfit anyone expect give the lower skilled a sick twisted pleasure.

Remeber the point is not to punish people on benifits but get people back work! Thats the main goel back to work. So to show work can be both rewarding and actually give people valuable skills that can enhance them. Not wast valuble time, suck minmum wage jobs out the econemy and crush people spirits.

This could be a good idea with tweaks.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

But those jobs obviously aren't available so wages are irrelevant.

As i mentioned in another thread, it's about making a contribution. If i go to work to provide money for rent, bills and food, then i think it's reasonable to ask the missus to do the housework, even though she has a better CV than i do. Likewise, if the working community go to work, which allows people to receive benefits, then surely those recipients of benefits should do something to benefit the working community.

Surely, that's a fair exchange.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Don't give Osborne or any of the tories any ideas! Trust me I wouldn't put it past them...

They really are so far removed from reality it is un believable. Cameron doesn't even know how much a loaf of bread is. I know it varies from shop to shop, but the idiot couldn't even conjour up a guess! Choosing to blame his bread maker.

HX

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

crazyewok

uncommitted

Tell you who should be doing it?

Someone on minimum wage!

Prefrebly with little to know education or work experiance.

But deffinatly minimum wage.

Every slave/Serf/Peasent you get to do a free job is a actually destroyed.

They should tweak the idea of instead of makeing long term unemployed do slave labour they should instead hire them at minimun wage to do a job suitable to ones work experiance/education.

To put it bluntly if they offerd minimum wage for the work the idea would be a alot more popular!

Hi there, I did actually mean on at minimum the minimum wage, my point was that the poster implied no-one should have to clean floors or do the messy jobs.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Scorchio

Asking your mrs to do some housework whilst you are at work is clearly not the same as expecting people to do unpaid full time work! especially when most of these people would happily work if the government cronies got off their overpaid, overprivileged arses and started doing something to bring more jobs to the people.

It's slave labor, as I said before.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

happinness
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Don't give Osborne or any of the tories any ideas! Trust me I wouldn't put it past them...

They really are so far removed from reality it is un believable. Cameron doesn't even know how much a loaf of bread is. I know it varies from shop to shop, but the idiot couldn't even conjour up a guess! Choosing to blame his bread maker.

HX

This really is the ridiculous thing these days. I don't know about you, but I shop at a supermarket, although I will have a vague idea what each item I buy costs, it isn't engrained in my brain, I just know it was the one that seemed most reasonable for its purpose and it's the total bill that counts. Test yourself, go to where you keep your food and see if you get the price of each item correct.

Maybe all politicians should have these figures to hand, but what does it prove? Do you think Milliband would be any the wiser? (of course his aids will now make sure he has those facts written on the inside of his cuff)

Personally, the only one I use is a beer index to judge where it's more pricey to quaff.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Scorchio

But those jobs obviously aren't available so wages are irrelevant.

As i mentioned in another thread, it's about making a contribution. If i go to work to provide money for rent, bills and food, then i think it's reasonable to ask the missus to do the housework, even though she has a better CV than i do. Likewise, if the working community go to work, which allows people to receive benefits, then surely those recipients of benefits should do something to benefit the working community.

Surely, that's a fair exchange.

Not denying that. In therory it a good idea. And between me and you its a good idea! But we are talking politicians....... This could be very easly abused and used to create a sort of underclass/slave labour force. Real jobs could go as the cheap conscripts can do the job for half the cost? Why employ toliet cleaners in the high street when you can get a slave to do it? Thats a low skilled job gone. You now have someone with a poential law degree or science degree cleaning toleits and now a high school drop out or ex con now signing on cause his crappy job has been taken away from him. See the problem?

But you have a oppunity here too. Not only can you use this to give back but also use it to enhance ones skill sets and become more employable. And the become more employable bit is the most impoetant as at the end of the day it better for everyone if you get a real job. Take me? If my job falls through then I would happy help in a hopsital lab or Ambulance center even if its as a run about. Not only am I doing something important to the community but it also is something that I can add to my CV in a big way and even better Im in a situation were if I do well and a real in that hopsital or Ambulance center clears up Im now in a really good position to get that real job. Win/win for everyone right?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

No it's not.

It's giving something back to a community that supports you during a difficult time. Stop looking at it as government oppression because it's not. It's an opportunity to get out, meet people, and show potential employers that, should they employ you, they will be getting a team player with a strong work ethic.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join