It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Osborne Unveils Tough New Rules For Jobless

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Once again this ugly topic brings people's true colours to the forefront.

Firstly it ceases to amaze me how vitriolic people are towards the unemployed. Whether its a lifestyle choice or not, at the end of the day its a meager living. The toffs in parliament spend more on a taxpayer funded meal than an average claimant gets in one week. Where is your outrage towards them? Or is it simply easier to bully the vulnerable and kick them while they are down?

I can bet that this new policy has been lobbied for by the companies that will clearly benefit from free labour. The government is twisted and corrupt beyond any and all repair, and this is just another backwards policy that serves only to reinforce divisions and line the pockets of the elite. If people are expected to work full time, they should be paid a full time wage. It really is that simple, and I hope this gets taken to the European courts, because im pretty sure it must break some laws along the line.

I understand why some people feel hard done by because they do a #ty job for #ty pay, and the taxes they take go towards providing for some family with more kids than fingers to count the different fathers on. But these are the minority. The vast majority of the benefits bill goes towards pensions, and the rest to genuine claimants who have no choice. The benefits bill is only a small percentage of tax expenditure. Far more money is stolen from you by your overlords.

You should be grateful you live in a nation with such a good safety net, and should be fighting to keep it. You never know when you might need to use it yourself, and if its gone when you do then its entirely your own fault.

And anyone who attacks people on ESA needs to experience what the people on ESA are going through, or shut the hell up.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2013 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

I've spent many periods unemployed since leaving school in 1984. I've always tried to stay focused and active when i've not been working. I've taken whatever jobs were available, just to get back on the ladder. I've even taken a job working for a man who was known (and still is) to try to sexually molest male members of staff. I've done just about every job out there at some point, and most were not only extremely unpleasant but involved working for some absolutely horrible human beings.

And yes, if i lost my job today, i'd be picking up litter tomorrow. And i'd do it so that i could give something back to a society that pays me my benefits. Don't forget, your benefits are not paid by the government. They are paid for by people just like you and i.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
...there isn't many jobs in my part of the world at the minute and the moment something does come up in the job centre ( which I check daily ) it is inundated with applications.

Move. Relocate. There's plenty of jobs in the South East. The only people who apply for jobs where I work are Poles and Nigerians because they seem to be the only people in the world who seem capable of moving to where the work is.

Although I appreciate that some people have real issues with getting jobs and are not mobile, I do think that there is a hard core of people who don't want to work, but expect to be rewarded for it. In fact, there's one who lives next door. He's go a nicer car than me and an iPhone. Where's the justice in that?

Regards

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Toadmund

woogleuk

Why should we (the taxpayer) pay for people to sit around on their arses drinking white cider and / or special brew?
Why should we fund smackdealer Bobs new 50" 3D plasma TV?

Have you ever experienced the joy of poverty?
If not shut up!
Not all the unemployed are looking to be parasites.

Yes I have, I was on the dole for 2 years before I decided to go self employed.

Tesco value cuisine was the best I could hope for, pot noodles a luxury.

I'm not having a go at those who genuinely want to work, but I see countless amounts of bagheads hanging around on giro day just so they can go score or get that lovely bottle of white lighting.

One of two things will happen with this scheme, it will either help those types get their working heads back on (or for the first time ever in some cases), or it will mean suspension of benefits and no doubt jail when they turn to even more crime to fund their habits.

The benefit culture of this country is a joke, it was designed to help people in genuine need, and whilst it still does that, it also encourages the scroungers to do nothing with their sorry lives.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Move?

Move house you mean? Are you SERIOUS? Have you any idea how much that costs? We are not talking about people with a spare grand or three sitting about to cover forward rent, or the actual cost of physically moving their stuff from one place to another. My God, some people are evidently living in cloud cuckoo land.

Let me lay it on the line for you. We are talking about people who are not sure wether they can afford to EAT every day, cannot afford to fuel, tax, insure, and maintain a vehicle, cannot in fact make a single positive move, because they are stuck on bugger all a month, locked in to their current situation. The overwhelming majority merely need jobs.

They do not need to relocate (and physically are unable to do so). They do not need better incentives (because not living on the pittance which JSA represents is enough). They do not need brow beating and hectoring from central government. What they need is for gainful employment to be made available, and that is the ONLY acceptable solution.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I agree with what you are saying TB, the two years I was on the dole I was doing everything I could to get a job.

There was nothing in my field in the area, and I struggled to get by.

But yes, there is a lot of people round here who seem to use the benefit system as their own piggy bank, they do abuse it.

I think people are misunderstanding my stance on this.

For those who DO want to work, this scheme will provide them an opportunity to keep their CVs up to date, it will also give them something to do, keep them active.

For those who DON'T want to work, it will have one of several effects, either get them motivated and out of the benefit trap, or expose them for the scroungers they are and they will lose benefits and have no choice but to find employment, be it self employed or other.

edit on 30/9/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

mykingdomforthetruth
blame the corporations like asda and tesco they are the reason you are unemployed with their hyper markets the destroy high streets forcing thousands of people out of work every time they open a new 1 the government are in their pockets and thats why you are #ed

Not just because of them - the councils and property owners (they are council pension fund owners, life insurance companies, holding companies and other such financial entities) were greedy too. The councils keep trying to charging motorists parking fees of up to £2/hour as well as creating confusing one way street systems. Families who were the main users of cars got fed up and drove to the out-of-town shopping centers instead.

As a kid, we could either go yomping back and forwards through the slush, snow and crowds in winter twilight for a whole afternoon then wait for a bus in the soaking rain. Or we go drive over to the shopping mall, go into the high-rise car-park, take an elevator to the levels, and take our time walking from shop to shop, then have a meal and then go home.

The only solution is to have underground shopping malls and car parks beneath the shops. In the Victorian era, they actually used to do this. There are various underground shopping malls that were abandoned:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I live on a housing estate with a population of around sixty thousand.
The unemployment rate is one of the highest in the country.
We also have one of the highest rates of long term unemployment.
Out town was ruined during the Thatcher years.

It's bad enough when it affects a few people in your neighbourhood but when you live on a housing estate similar to mine.
The whole community suffers.
This decision will keep thousands in my town on benefits and the only jobs they'll get will be workfare.

The bedroom tax has been a killer too, as that affects a few thousand families in our area.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Let get this straight....The only Jobs that will be available will be working in Charity shops, Poundland, Tesco, Asda stacking shelves and such.......Nothing worth actually putting on a CV...

If i Want to beef my CV I would just contact a few friends who have Businesses and ask them if i could add there company as my past employer and for a reference..

It's all BS.

No-one should get something for Nothing Claims the Man who inherited £4.5 Million, say's the Man who made £400.000+ Profit on his constituency home. say's the Man who got £100,000 tax payers money for a Horse paddock...and the list goes on and on.

Only George get everything for nothing.... These people are pure evil.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

destination now
reply to post by Toadmund

And now you are judging me with no information about my circumstances..

Well then, Karma came up and bit me.
I just got laid off today. (Funny coincidence as this post was the last post I participated in before I went off to work my last day.)
Just when I was barely starting to catch up on my bills, I don't know if I qualify for unemployment,especially with Stephen Harpers new draconian unemployment changes that penalises a person for becoming unemployed , winter is coming, bad time to go job hunting.

I suspect me having the disability of ADD helped me out of another job, unfortunately, even a job cleaning toilets is hard to come by. Since ADD is not a wheel chair disability it's not visible and I don't get any favours. How do non-ADD people think and function?
I don't know, but life is a hell of a lot easier for them.

What? Me worry?
Yes.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

So sorry to hear that Toadmund
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by ADD?

Hx
edit on 30-9-2013 by happinness because: spelling error - sorry

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Toadmund

destination now

And now you are judging me with no information about my circumstances..

Well then, Karma came up and bit me.
I just got laid off today. (Funny coincidence as this post was the last post I participated in before I went off to work my last day.)
Just when I was barely starting to catch up on my bills, I don't know if I qualify for unemployment,especially with Stephen Harpers new draconian unemployment changes that penalises a person for becoming unemployed , winter is coming, bad time to go job hunting.

I suspect me having the disability of ADD helped me out of another job, unfortunately, even a job cleaning toilets is hard to come by. Since ADD is not a wheel chair disability it's not visible and I don't get any favours. How do non-ADD people think and function?
I don't know, but life is a hell of a lot easier for them.

What? Me worry?
Yes.

Sorry to hear that...if you need any help or have any question on where you stand i can point you in the right direction...you in the UK?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

TrueBrit
Move house you mean? Are you SERIOUS? Have you any idea how much that costs? We are not talking about people with a spare grand or three sitting about to cover forward rent, or the actual cost of physically moving their stuff from one place to another.

Well, I suppose you can just sit and complain and find excuses for inaction.

In the first 15 years of my career I moved house nine times. It does not have to be easy to be the right thing to do.

Regards

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

happinness

So sorry to hear that Toadmund
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by ADD?

Hx
edit on 30-9-2013 by happinness because: spelling error - sorry

ADHD
Without the 'H'
Which means basically I am what regular people call a 'space cadet'
Try keeping a job when you have a bad short term memory, trouble paying attention to instructions and make stupid mistakes, it puts you on the hit list real fast. Why keep me when 100's of others without these problems want to work.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

paraphi

Lady_Tuatha
...there isn't many jobs in my part of the world at the minute and the moment something does come up in the job centre ( which I check daily ) it is inundated with applications.

Move. Relocate. There's plenty of jobs in the South East.

As someone who lives in the south east I can assure you that is total crap!
The idea that people should relocate to find work is complete nonsense, all they'd be doing is joining another very long queue of unemployed.

PEOPLE, PLEASE DONT LET FOLKS IN THESE FORUMS FOOL YOU.
THERE'S NOT ENOUGH JOBS.

THERE'S NOT ENOUGH JOBS.

THERE'S NOT ENOUGH JOBS.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

paraphi

TrueBrit
Move house you mean? Are you SERIOUS? Have you any idea how much that costs? We are not talking about people with a spare grand or three sitting about to cover forward rent, or the actual cost of physically moving their stuff from one place to another.

Well, I suppose you can just sit and complain and find excuses for inaction.

In the first 15 years of my career I moved house nine times. It does not have to be easy to be the right thing to do.

Regards

Good for you, but maybe some of us like where we stay and have Family we prefer to be close by.....ie Children from previous marriages we would really like to be involved with...Maybe.?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

No but it does have to be possible.

Look buddy, I dont know what kind of life you have lived, but when I was on the dole, I could barely afford a bus ticket into town once every fortnight to sign on, and had to walk to town the rest of the time to go to the library, pay to print CVs, and hand deliver them and completed application forms, to the businesses up and down the high street, and in the industrial parks and warehouse district. I used to walk about twelve miles a day, most every day of the week, just getting CVs in and showing my face around, so that I could increase my chances of getting a job.

The rest went on keeping enough food, drink, and soul left in my body to continue to actually LIVE. I had nothing left over to put away so that I could save up and move town! Thats an impossibility of massive proportions, especially for the younger jobseeker, as I was at the time. Now, either you have had previous experience of destitution, and just cannot face the reality of how close to the edge you personally came, or you have never been there, and therefore cannot comment with any authority. Either way, if migration is possible for an individual, they dont need benefits, they need a removal company. It is NOT possible for the vast majority of people whose circumstances are so desperate that they would consider taking government "assistance".

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

This will be abused to the max just like any other thing, they had something similar to this and in my area the local council were taking people on full time, however they were only working for there benefits and at the end of the deal the people were laid off and then more people from the government scheme were taking on again effectively giving the local council a free and constant supply of labor, pretty good deal for the council, meanwhile the claimants got nothing, never even had time to look for work, the job center were like "but they are learning and gaining new skills" no they weren't, it was stupid jobs that anybody can do.

Businesses will be rubbing there hands at this, why give people jobs when they can get a free work force off the government, basically they are abusing the unemployed while at the same time making it harder for them to get a job.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

VoidHawk
THERE'S NOT ENOUGH JOBS.

... and yet where I work we cannot recruit people from the UK to do bog-standard admin roles. My local hospital is recruiting from Portugal. There's loads of jobs, but people who either don't want to start from the bottom, have not invested in their own skills (yeah, a degree in Media Studies is really helpful), or they are not within convenient walking distance of their home.

I appreciate that loads of people cannot move home for whatever reason, but if where you live does not have employment opportunities then you either suffer that fate, or move. Jobs don't tend to move to the person.

Go on, give it a go... www.jobs.nhs.uk...

Regards

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

paraphi

VoidHawk
THERE'S NOT ENOUGH JOBS.

... and yet where I work we cannot recruit people from the UK to do bog-standard admin roles. My local hospital is recruiting from Portugal. There's loads of jobs, but people who either don't want to start from the bottom, have not invested in their own skills (yeah, a degree in Media Studies is really helpful), or they are not within convenient walking distance of their home.

I appreciate that loads of people cannot move home for whatever reason, but if where you live does not have employment opportunities then you either suffer that fate, or move. Jobs don't tend to move to the person.

Go on, give it a go... www.jobs.nhs.uk...

Regards

So you work for the NHS...Good luck with that when your job gets cut due to Privatisation....it's already happening by stealth.

But hey, you might be in with a chance with all the Malnourished and suicidal patients coming through the doors due to the Government cuts.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join