It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government policy is disassembling me...with fervor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
To my fellow, ATS members, I've come here today to put into words, a report of how our country is crafting its people.

I am a regular lurker who doesn't usually speak up, unless I'm educated enough to communicate my thoughts correctly (which happens surprisingly rarely
). That's all to say that I'm not a regular, active thread-ing individual, so keep that in mind, and try to be nice!

As background, I am a returning student and am currently enrolled in pursuit of hopes of becoming a doctor one day... and a good one at that! I was valedictorian of my high school class, and already have a bachelors in Finance and International Business; which turned south since I had graduated just before the housing market collapse in 2008. But until my decision to try for medical school, I was patient, mindful of my time, saving up enough money to be able to go back to school; penny by penny, dollar by dollar. I wasn't able to find ANY job within my field of study, and I became homeless for the first time in my life. Fortunately, I was able to squeak my way into a job in IT as a helpdesk tech, re-located, and worked my proverbial ass off. I worked my way up, with studying and certification, and I was finally able to get paid enough to be able to save little bits for school (while keeping a roof over my head! whew!).

Without any family to turn to, or any friends to help ease my transition, this would become one of the darkest days in my life; a place in time I could think back on and become a stronger person as a result of it. This became increasingly difficult but I kept at it year after year, looking towards my goals; being able to provide for myself (and hopefully a family), while still actually enjoying my days (a dream I feel is becoming more and more distant from all of us). And so eventually, the day that my years of hard work would paid off came...finally! I was able to properly bow-out from my cubicle, and was happy that I'd be able to go back to school and hopefully become an individual who could really help others; who would care about patients, and compassionately care for them. I was able to somehow secure myself a laboratory job at my school; a God-send of a job, which worked with my rigorous class schedules. I could almost taste my dream. This was 2 years ago.

But as you all know, these past few years have been ridiculously unstable and now, we've got policies in place that are severely hurting someone like myself. I can say, without a doubt, that I am directly feeling the effects of policies enforced by Uncle Sam. Increased inflation and rising school costs soon emptied out my college-fund piggy bank (with federal financial aid continuously running into 'problems' and 'mistakes' which would promise me funds, while delivering none), and I started working another job. However, being broke and still having to pay for basic living conditions, don't work well together. It's like a peanut butter and steak-sauce sandwich. They just aren't meant to jive. So I first attempted federal financial aid and even needing to go as far as the welfare office. Unsurprisingly, I was denied both, until I was able to negotiate a verrrrrry small financial contribution from federal financial aid (which I was, and am, thankful for; it's money I didn't have before!). With this delicate balance of work, school, financial aid, limiting my food consumption costs, and other money saving techniques, I was somehow able to make due...for a while. Until....The Obama Administration's Healthcare Act.

Obama-care was intended to help everyone access health benefits, economically. One caveat in the policy is that any employees who work at least 25 hours per week, are to receive health benefits by their employer. Employees like myself, who worked up to 40 - 60 hours per week, were, ideally, supposed to receive those promised health benefits. UNFORTUNATELY for myself (and others), instead of receiving these benefits, I was CUT DOWN to less than 25 hours per week (24.5) in order for the school to avoid any forced actions by the office of the POTUS. In this way, they 'win.' They are able to claim 'compliance' while actively screwing over their staff, like myself, who's just making due (without any benefits). There are no exceptions to this rule, and I know this has also happened to people like me, all over the country. My last resort was military service; but laughably, I was denied due to medical conditions from my past, which I no longer struggle from. So no GI-bill for me!

This is all to tell you how long and hard I've worked and planned in hope of going back to school for the sole purpose of helping people (and of course keeping some type of roof over my head while doing so). In the span of a year, all of the support foundations I built for my return to school have been broken down one by one; and now I've got almost nothing left. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I had family or friends to lean on...but I have no family, and I've become too far removed from my friends. Regardless, as a single, independent individual, trying to operate within the rules placed by our society, I find that it has become an impossible task to try and juggle.

I now have 4 jobs, which may seem like I would make a lot of money, but they all pay almost minimum wage (if not minimum wage); it wouldn't be too bad if there were some consistency with the availability of work, but the billable jobs come and go. So with 4 jobs, I am still coming up short. I've spammed my resume every where with no luck. After years of straight-laced hard work, I'm speechless with how quickly it can all come crashing down, and all out of my control.

I face eviction in the next couple weeks, more employment down-sizing, and a dreadful feeling that I will find myself back on the street. If it be my fate, then I'll take that stride proudly... but I can't help but believe that isn't meant for any of us. I think of myself as a intelligent, problem-solving individual, but not even McDonalds will hire me. The small jobs I have now, were earned through great effort, and those are even on the edge of ending too, as the belt around our economy keeps tightening.

This has been a good ride, and I've really enjoyed being a student again, and also here as a member (even such a non-contributor such as I), but I think I'm beginning to see the end of my rope. I've found some of the most thought provoking, and thoughtful pieces of the internet, right here at ATS. Strangely enough, this is the last place I thought I'd be finding myself spilling my guts...its almost therapeutic actually. I can at least share my story before the lights go out (which I'm working hard to keep on lol). I just have such a hard time accepting the fact that all of my hard work has essentially been dissolved by the policies of the powers that be, in almost no-time at all. They didn't even break a sweat; while I could fill a kid's inflatable pool with mine, trying to keep myself fed enough to work and study.

I know this has been a terribly long post, and you are obviously not required to read it all (or any of it for that matter). But this post comes from a young, hardworking, mid-20's person, born and raised in the USA, who is now facing more dark days ahead. I can't wait for 2014, then I'll be REQUIRED to buy health insurance, or they will...guess what? FINE MY POOR ASS for more money I dont have. Maybe I'll get internet privileges in jail? haha Morocco sounds nice

edit on 29-9-2013 by bojimbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bojimbo

I feel bad for you and every other young person in your shoes OP......

But after reading your post, I admire and respect you and your determination in bettering your life!!!!!

Keep on keepin on my young friend! It is when you give up that all hope is lost........

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
All this is not to say that I'm some person, who deserves to have all that he wants. Quite the contrary, I feel lucky to have what I had, have, and that I have even come this far. I will continue to work as hard as I can, but as you may understand, I've come to a small 'tipping point' where there seems to be no apparent solution to my worries. I'd usually be working on problem solving during times like this, but I've literally almost reach the 'end of the line' of my viable options.

I find it discouraging that the very policies and enforced laws that are supposedly aimed to 'help the people,' are directly responsible for accelerating those same people's descent into poverty. One would think that negative data would result in a policy change... but all I see is the same ol' back-and-forth power struggle.

If this is happening to me, I can only imagine what is happening all over our country...and world. It just feels like this is deliberate, conscientious, and meticulously planned by those in power. I just can't see how they can continue on with these broken models which only serve to further exacerbate our already increasing number of nation-wide issues. If I had a result that was negative, I'd try to fix the problem, not just continue on, and hope that it'll all work out somehow...maybe if I were elected into my brain, I could leave the problems for the next guy! haha

If anything, I encourage all those who are struggling, those who are tired and weary from just treading water; work hard and stick with it. Even if we all can't make it, those of us who are fortunate enough to succeed, and stay successful, are enough to keep our struggle present and relevant. Please fight for each other, and support one another. Having people to lean on, I imagine, feels a little like the relief I feel from writing about things here.

But those of you whom I see everyday; taking what you have for granted, taking family and familial support for granted, feeling this ludicrous sense of entitlement; try to make better use of what you have. I'm not trying to bring up the whole 'poor kids in Sudan' perspective argument, but really, its oftentimes these individuals who are given everything, who don't care, and still make it through; who end up making policies like we have today. Policies made without any sort of realistic view/experience with what drives the day to day toil of the average (and sub-average) American, and our futures.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thank you seeker. I appreciate your words of encouragement.
I'm a little averse to things like this, so I'm sorry if it's an uncomfortable read.

I also feel bad for our country's youth. I'm not looking forward to hindsight in 20 years.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
There are still a lot of people in this country making a lot of money, you need to go where the money is. get a hands on skill, then move close to where the money is. people with money can`t live without their luxuries, like swimming pools, hot tubes,nice cars, vacation homes,private jets, etc. They don`t have the skills or the physical ability to supply themselves with the luxuries they require but they are more than happy and able to pay someone to provide those luxuries for them.
Through good financial times and bad financial times the well to do will always have plenty of money and plenty of demand for their luxuries.
When their hot tub stops working they will pay almost any amount of money to have it fixed.you just need to be there with the skills to fix it and a big repair bill, when it breaks.

edit on 29-9-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

I agree that there are still lots of people making good money even today. I'm trying to describe a layer by layer peeling of those who aren't in such fortunate positions.

Like you implied, it's all about location, and striking the iron while it's hot. But you've got to have a hammer before you're able to strike, and you need to find that location. Those are 2 variables hat are very hard to come by for some. I've already moved across country in search of work, which I have acquired (no matter how small). It's easy to depict a scenario where you are able to make some cash, with a skill, if you're lucky enough to win a bid without an 'employing company' that's awesome, but besides those that are few and far in-between, who's hiring?

But i certainly do appreciate the encouragement, friend. Here's a toast to finding a new skill set

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bojimbo

It's the younger generation we have that thinks like you, whom gives me faith in our country going in a positive direction!

Venting as you did is quite normal, and yes! you have a right to vent and speak your mind out of frustration!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Haha thank you... that's nice to hear... but I fear that most of my generation (myself included), have lost themselves to easy living, luxury, and ease. We're essentially losing traditional values, and heading full-steam into whatever this tech-driven 'advanced' society deems acceptable. I know I'm a creature averse to change; but realistically, I know that we do need to move forward. Yet the direction we are heading in doesn't give me much hope.

It's like we are becoming a species that requires easy buttons, step by step directions, and encourages an 'escalator' system of education... but only for those who are able to afford to pay into the upper crust. The new world will be built upon the backs of the unfortunate. I know this sounds pretty extreme...and it doesn't help that big brother already tries to control our lives... but I seriously I hope I'm wrong!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Quite the story of struggle bojimbo. You are obviously intelligent and dedicated to improving not only your personal future but that of your fellow man as well. I was wondering just the other night about crowd-sourcing (or whatever they call online fundraising) and how it might apply to people who have a great idea for a business or for someone like yourself determined to become someone useful to society. Banks won't finance people like us but other people would I believe.
What if billions of us nobodies in the world got together and chipped in $10 then we voted for those we thought were the best causes? That could be a considerable sum of money for many deserving folk. I really like the idea and it could be developed in to a stock-type situation where the donors receive money back if the person or business takes off.
Anway, I hope things work out for you and I think they will if you just keep doing what you have been; namely not giving up. That's how everything gets done by keeping on keeping on. May your dreams come true for you!
Cheers,
ATA

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Haha thank you for your words ATA. I only like to think I'm intelligent, but that's just for some positive reinforcement lol. I think I've properly diagnosed myself with some creative dementia. lol

I'm just a cog on a gear, situated on a wheel, tucked in a corridor, within our humungous machine for pigs.

I think you've got a real cool thought going on there, kinda like kickstarter meets ATS lol. It makes sense, right? If everyone just donated a dollar, we could move mountains! But that's also something I'm kind of allergic to, personally, I think. haha. I don't want to come across as a solicitation for money (for some mind bending goods and services, mind you
hahah jk); rather, I thought that for the first time, I could provide a first hand account of the effects that high-level policy makers have on your 'average-joe.' I'm normally reading the news and re-imagining the scene and information, instead of actually being the one affected. Although it's some rough seas for me, at this current venture, I know that at least I can maybe become just another (of the vast multitude of others affected) story that helps someone, somewhere down the line, much smarter than myself, make some real, beneficially tangible results.

But maybe, just maybe, the straw that breaks the camel's back could turn out to be an orchestration of a bunch of failing systems, all coming to a head, all collapsing and revealing the ugly truth beneath it all. Just like everything else in this world, if anything becomes so massive that it struggles to hold its own weight...it breaks (and it's usually cheaper to sell it as scrap metal, than to reconstruct it from its shattered pieces lol...oh the irony!). On this site, I've read through countless conspiracy theories, facts, and hoaxes. Although I personally believe that not all of them are true, I can't help but think that some theories could only exist if SOMETHING had happened. So maybe the corruption of power and abuse of position will reach critical mass and take itself out, and the next generation of leaders rebuild from scratch, cuz it's wiser than re-using the old guard's code of conduct.
Either way, my fingers are crossed. ahaha

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bojimbo

It's obvious that the people have to watch out for themselves. Government usedto do that now they basically pantomime to keep the money rolling in. We share info on the web and develop friendships as well. Why can't we make the next step and help each other economically? I think it's a workable idea and could be divided in to categories so people could help the cause of their choice say environment, medicine, technology, teaching, arts, etc. We do that with art and music already on a small but growing scale, it should be expanded to include everyone.
I'm going to cogitate on this and perhaps start a thread and see what others think about it. The next revolution needs to be a human (and humane) one.
edit on 29-9-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

bojimbo

Although I personally believe that not all of them are true, I can't help but think that some theories could only exist if SOMETHING had happened. So maybe the corruption of power and abuse of position will reach critical mass and take itself out, and the next generation of leaders rebuild from scratch, cuz it's wiser than re-using the old guard's code of conduct.
Either way, my fingers are crossed. ahaha

Anyone who believes the past 40 years represents the old guard's code of conduct
in any way, shape, or form
is suffering from the same lies the Main Stream Media has been peddling for those 40 years.

In a word, that person will remain doomed.

It's the old "convince the people there is something wrong so we can save them ploy."

For instance in the 70's there were a ton of people pushing for solar power.
Stanford Research Institute had invented the solar panel,
and their patent covered a design that lasted as long as glass.
Almost indefinitely.

But there was no money to be found,
there was always another more-important-crisis
and the media machine grinded on like we didn't exist.

But these days,
we can find solar companies everywhere.
The stuff doesn't last, and is expensive to install,
and it takes longer to recoup the cost than the equipment lasts,
but that doesn't stop the machine from saying things like "finally" and
"It's about time isn't it." Because (they suggest) it's the old guard that got us into this fix.

Mother #ing goddamn lies.

There is only one reason that society is so over cooked and burnt that it is done and inedible.

We have been atomized into individuals,
and the community building experiences of the old timers
are treated with the same level of distrust as the plague married to a pariah.

Mike

edit on 29-9-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Brother, I hear you on your points man.
And the damn solar panelsssssss!! It's such an obvious and transparent result of that 'outside interferance,' that is just so coincidentally suspicious that its almost insulting. lol. Just like alternative fuels....

I may have done well to emphasize that by the 'old guard' I mean the agendas (and the deceptions that they breed) that may be from 40 years ago, to as far as the beginning of the modern era... maybe even to 'recorded' history itself. During every age of man, there has been an accompanying set of problems that are not so unlike the ones before (conspiracies everywhereeeee). Maybe it's just human nature, but I'd like to believe as complex creatures (with fresh sets of opposable thumbs lol!) we can learn from our past and really strive towards changing our future... drastically. Just like how far and how extremely we've changed up until now.

But I agree with you that the exclusion of just the past 40 years will do nothing but become a drop in the proverbial bucket, my man.

I'm talking about a full-scale, top-to-bottom recreation of our governing structure. And as our world creeps closer to a unified body...a one world government, I think this mindset becomes all the more critical, no? I know its like beating a dead horse, and accomplishing such a feat seems near impossible, but starting off with a 'clean slate' might just be what has to come next. Otherwise I feel like we'll see a whole lot more sequels in the future history of mankind.

PS - DOOM co-op is awesome...my all time favorite (I and II especially) Your post just brought it all backkkk

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

ATA, I think you've got valid and really good points...

I totally agree with you... back in the day, before we became such comfy bed-mates with federal dependency, the community was different. Of course, I'm not really a good source of data for that one, but at least as a kid from the 80's, I used to always see neighbors, friends, and families reaching out in a way that I really don't see much anymore.

Now, I feel like so many people only view others, strangers especially, as a source of potential threat (if not now, maybe one day). Maybe it's the insane amount of information we receive everyday, right at our fingertips, that it seems like criminally minded people are on the rise (or maybe it really is happening)... but I can honestly say that I've met more people within the past couple years who were actively afraid of others, than I can add up in my entire life previously. But let it be known, as much of an accepting person as I may be, if someone were to approach a loved one wrongly, there'd be problems.
haha

Human (R)evolution...it's got a nice ring to it.

new topics

top topics

join