It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some Texas (Libertarian) relocation advice.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Insurrection
It's more than likely I'll end up in Texas before the end of the year. I have a reasonable amount of flexibility as to what region. I have one requirement and one desire:

Requirement: Within a hour of a good children's hospital

Desire: Good ~growing~ Libertarian community

Austin seems to be an out-of-State favorite but my visits there yielder a lot more solid Liberal Statist types than Libertarian. Likewise a few areas around Dallas were Conservative Statist types. I think I'd personally deal with the latter better but would like any thriving Libertarian options.

Thoughts? Thanks, -Mags

Austin....i almost have to spit when I say that.

I am so far fundamentalist that I make the average libertarian look statist. With that political viewpoint stated....

.....Any large city will not support the libertarian viewpoints. Large cities are large governments, which are anathema to what you are looking for.

West Texas is sparsely populated, and is more aligned with libertarianism, although it is overrun with GOP supporters.

But Austin? You might as well move to San Francisco. Seriously. I spend a lot of time there, and have quite a few business relationships in the area. The city is more interested in propping up the lazy 20somethings living there. Were it not for the Capital, the tax burden would have already run off everyone.

San Marcos and New Braunfels are in that general area (about an hour a way, and only 30 minutes from San Antonio). They are very fun communities. Still, liberal leaning libertarian is the best you can hope for. But at least it isn't Austin.

There is a nice chilrens hospital in uptown Dallas that I used to pass when I travelled in for some work I was doing. Its right by Turtle Creek (near the Mansion Hotel). Dallas, especially uptown, is similar to New York in how stuffy it is. BUt you could live in Mineral Wells, which is a nice little town about an hour away. Over the next several years, I will be spending a lot of time there.

I am not sure if Lubbock has a childrens hospital, but Texas Tech has a robust medical program, and runs the Covenant Health Care system. There is tons of open area in West Texas. Rural life. At that point, just pick a spot on the road within an hour of Lubbock. Big Spring is about 1.5 hours away, but is growing quite nicely, and has been featured for a great new resort hotel in Texas Monthly and Texas Highways. There is also Midland and Odessa that are in the region.

I babbled off a lot of names in various areas. I hope that helps. BUt seriously, Austin is Nancy Pelosi's dream. Enter at your own risk.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Neysa
I live in the Katy area, west of Houston. It's a very conservative city and has one of the best childrens hospitals in the country. Texas Childrens Hospital

Personally, I think the more rural you get, the more conservative you get.

Rural conservatives are as libertarian as you can get. There is no law out in rural areas. So you just learn to get along.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I lived in Texas for two years (1982 and 1987).
It's been a long time, but based on those dates I'd stay out of Houston.
North of San Antonio might fit what you are looking for.
Close enough to San Antonio for hospital needs and yet
'old Texas' enough to do your own thing.

But like I said .. I'm basing that on living there 30 years ago .. so that might be outdated.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

Austin....i almost have to spit when I say that.

But Austin? You might as well move to San Francisco. Seriously. I spend a lot of time there, and have quite a few business relationships in the area. The city is more interested in propping up the lazy 20somethings living there. Were it not for the Capital, the tax burden would have already run off everyone.

I babbled off a lot of names in various areas. I hope that helps. BUt seriously, Austin is Nancy Pelosi's dream. Enter at your own risk.

*chuckle* Got that point across loud and clear. Thanks, -Mags

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Insurrection

OK, but i just want to make sure you know, Austin.....

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Thanks for all the pointers - for my child's particular needs it really looks like somewhere around Dallas is the best option. So I'll take the suggestions around that area and explore.

Any other pointers about living in the North-of-Dallas region?

Must-visit establishments while I'm scoping it out? Secret handshakes? :-D

Cheers, -Mags

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Best I can do for you is to recommend three restaurants: The Bolla (change in management, may not be as good....but was the best I have ever had multiple times), Samar (Stephen Pyles is a great guy) and St. Ann's. At St. Ann's they have potato chips they make in house smothered in a bleu cheese sauce....really good stuff.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Insurrection

Anywhere within an hour of Houston would probably work for you. Regardless of what others have stated southeast Texas has a rapidly growing Libertarian population and the cost of living once you get a few miles away from the city is very cheap compared to many parts of the country. Houston has Texas Children's Hospital, among many other highly rated hospitals in a central, easily accessed downtown location.

Another perk of the area is that no matter what you do for a living you would be able to find work within an hour or so from Houston, and there ARE jobs available in every field imaginable.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

BardingTheBard

Insurrection
I'm not at all under the delusion TX is a Libertarian haven.

Actually it is heavily libertarian... just most people have been tricked (along with the rest of the country) into describing themselves otherwise despite their underlying beliefs still being libertarian.

When push comes to *true* shove everyone will find out just how libertarian most of the people conditioned into the l/r paradigm really are here. I returned to Texas after reviewing the rest of the Union. This aspect is not an insignificant part of that decision.
edit on 29-9-2013 by BardingTheBard because:

Ok, lets put it to the test. The next election for Texas Governor is coming up. Put ol Ron Paul in the seat.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join