It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why wasn't the Chicago playground attack called a terrorist attack?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Three people died in the Boston Marathon Massacre and it was called a terrorist attack. Then just recently we have 11 folks gunned down gangland style in a Chicago Playground and somehow it is NOT called a terrorist attack. Why not? Is it because the victims were black? Or is it because the perps were black?

It is my belief that ALL gangs should be treated as domestic terrorists. Terror is their stock and trade, it is how they make their money. You do not join a gang so you can help little old ladies cross the road or help low income people with their house payments.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Did they have an agenda - meaning did they do it to make a statement to the world? Or was it random violence. That may be the difference.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

It's not a terror attack unless it's orchestrated by the government.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

They probably wanted to kill somebody in a rival gang, or someone owed them money. The rest were collateral damage. Still a terrorist attack regardless of their motive.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Not a whole lot of information has passed my eyes on this subject. I saw a thread with a link that didn't really give a lot of information. I don't know why some stories they dig right into and give us so many details on the lives of the victims and the suspects but where's the details on this?

I mean can you personally shed more light on the details or are you just wanting more people to be angry? I think it is terrible but what is it you are asking anyone else to do? i don't even know what happened to the suspects. Did they die, were they caught? What happened? If they are not on the loose then what do you want to happen... Do you want to bomb Chicago? What are you striving for here?

While sometimes it is said that we should crack down on gangs... even before they become violent, some people only want to see more gang activity until we have gangland USA and can blame it on a certain location, a certain group or a certain race. I know to be very weary of that movement... so I have to ask, what is your goal here that you want to see come to fruition?
edit on 5201330AM9AM37p22America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

These are the hypocrits of our US gov't - these gangs are decreasing the population, which is the goal of this gov't, so that's not a problem. Look at the murder rate in Chicago - one of the most anti-gun law places in the US.

Don't put much thought into it - they don't want you to./sarcasm

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

It would be plastered all over the news if a white person had somehow snuck into black/hispanic gangland Chicago, and killed someone - but it didn't happen - so ignore - they are decreasing the population just like the obama administration wants/sarcasm.

PS Chicago has the strictest gun laws anywhere in the US. So crime is not a problem.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

groingrinder
reply to post by Dianec

They probably wanted to kill somebody in a rival gang, or someone owed them money. The rest were collateral damage. Still a terrorist attack regardless of their motive.

Not according to the FBI.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines terrorism as “the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.”

Terrorism needs to be distinguished from other crimes because if you lump them all under one category it makes preventing and combatting it harder. With a terrorist there is generally a grievance that the government can hear and squelch (if they so choose).

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I am with you OP. I think any attack that strikes the feeling of terror into another individual/s is a "Terrorist" attack but I don't define a lot of things like the government does unfortunately. The same goes for a "Hate Crime". Go figure. I think they use the term that works for them most at the time of the crime. I am not sure why some stuff is covered more than others either. I have not heard a lot about this case so I just ASSume that there is nothing to be gained politically by airing it 500 times a day. It's sad the way it seems to work. I do think they place more value on some victims/crimes than others and if that is so, then it is more than a shame.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Terrorists are usuall driven by Ideology.

Gangs are usually driven by money.

True, they both can act the same. They even work with each other at times.

They both are bad. So what does it matter if we call them another name?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

NotAnAspie
I know to be very weary of that movement... so I have to ask, what is your goal here that you want to see come to fruition?
edit on 5201330AM9AM37p22America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

I would like to see all gangsters categorized as domestic terrorists. Then I would like to see them prosecuted as such. Are you in a gang? Do you love the gang lifestyle? Do you lust after gangsters? It really ticks me off to see law abiding Patriots who served in the military singled out by the government as potential terrorists, but the government ignores real terrorists right under their noses. Gangs have an objective to conquer and hold territory. Gee that sounds like domestic terrorism to me.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

What matters is the level of pressure brought against them. Domestic terrorists get persistent national law enforcement attention. Gangs get nada. More people are killed by gangs than are killed by Patriots unfairly villified by the Administration.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Dianec

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defines terrorism as “the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.”

That sounds like gangs to me. Second line.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The whole gang thing is just world politics played out on a smaller scale.
They fight over territory, resources, etc, just like governments.
Is all war and conflict terrorism, regardless of the scale?

Probably.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOutcast

More "children" were killed in the playground chicago murder than in the navy shipyard - why didn't that make the 24 hour news cycle instead?

Certainly seems like a more violent crime?

Is should have been given the Sandy hook treatment - but it wasn't -
edit on 27-9-2013 by Happy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Crypts and Bloods killing one another doesn't scare the public enough ,so the govt can make ridiculous new laws ,to make us sheeple .

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

groingrinder

Dianec

That sounds like gangs to me. Second line.

Yes it does, but all within that definition must fit the crime. I hear what your saying though. Terrorism gets an immediate and dramatic response by everyone (3 people being killed shut down a city). What we need is to stop sensationalizing "terrorism". In fact - by doing so terrorist win - they have succeeded in spreading fear - they want to be heard and boy have we done that - and by overreacting we reinforce "this is how to get my objective met - they really perk up at this..." In turn it is also easier to recruit new people - as ideologies/grievances are widely broadcasts. Let even one person identify with the terrorist and you set up an identity crisis if the conditions are ripe. And - I must add, we have them searching for ripe conditions (the NSA) so making a bad situation worse. They just don't think things through. Who advises them anyway. Ok off the soap box.

They need to treat all violent crimes with an equal response. More people needed to deal with a larger disaster but make the numbers and response fit the crime, not the label. Then you will see that the word terrorist does not hold so much power anymore and it won't matter. It will all be crime.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

groingrinder

NotAnAspie
I know to be very weary of that movement... so I have to ask, what is your goal here that you want to see come to fruition?

I would like to see all gangsters categorized as domestic terrorists. Then I would like to see them prosecuted as such. Are you in a gang? Do you love the gang lifestyle? Do you lust after gangsters? It really ticks me off to see law abiding Patriots who served in the military singled out by the government as potential terrorists, but the government ignores real terrorists right under their noses. Gangs have an objective to conquer and hold territory. Gee that sounds like domestic terrorism to me.

so basically by asking me these silly ass questions and being angry that ats members are not wanting to bomb chicago... you are saying that this is in support of the gang lifestyle and that is basically what you are bickering about.

You haven't brought information on the story... for all we know those suspects could be caught or dead and if so... what more can we do? Do you want their immediate and unquestioned execution? No trial? What?

I know of no so called US patriot that has been sent to Guantanamo and is being held as a terrorist so unless you are just trying to get people riled up with phantom claims, be more specific.

As for terrorists in this country.... No... NO GUANTANAMO. They need to be investigated and tried in a court of law and we should not just go bomb some country as a response to their crime. We have an order to deal with criminals and while it may not be perfect, it sure as hell beats the classified way they handle terrorism that the public tends to get very little truth on.

The only way we even know they are punished PERIOD is if it is done in a court of law the way we are supposed to be doing, not behind some curtain in a shady manner that gets some people tortured and some people a free pass out of the country to go make havoc somewhere else as a tool of the CIA.

Are you going to bring some more info on the case to show us what else you think needs to be done or am I going to have to do it?
edit on 5201330AM9AM23p28America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

We need to think wisely before we start throwing around the label "terrorists" it is a very strong word.

in fact media helps terrorists by terrifying there viewers and people in believing anyone and everyone is a potential threat when the exact opposite is true, isolationism can create diseases in the mind.

btw it's all to push for gun control, because your right if they really cared they would spill gang shootings all over the news.
edit on 27-9-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Remember, Chicago was the central hub of the Weather Underground. There are a lot of people in both DC and Chicago high offices who consider them "freedom fighters" and legitimate war protestors (because like, nothing proves how wrong it is to kill people like killing people, ya know?) rather than terrorists. Also consider the fact that in the eyes of those same people in DC the Syrian "rebels" are modern freedom fighters, even though they are comprised of the same terrorists who we've spent billions/trillions supposedly trying to exterminate for the past decade+...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join