It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Its because it said coaxed them together which naturally makes one think "unstable" but I doubt it is/could be dangerous. Sure some theoretical dangerwill pop up.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

One fascinating aspect of particle physics is that high-energy photons like gamma rays can spontaneously disintegrate into two particles - an electron and a positron (the anti-electron). But positrons will fall into the nucleus of an atom never to be seen again.

physicsworld.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Force-field comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hi, science fans.

I have heard/seen/read somewhere that "matter is solid light" !

That new behavior of light could make us discover new things
about matter and its wave/particules. . ?

It is like: What the Higgs boson will also show us ?
What those experiments with the light will show us ?
That's something for us to watch !

Good stuff in this thread !!

Blue skies.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

new_here
reply to post by canucks555

Something tells me they ought not do this. I can't explain why I feel this way, because I don't understand it myself. But something made my blood run cold reading that clip you posted.

Something tells me this alongside many other such scientific explorations have already been done years ago and is not that big-a-worry. People tend to disregard the military complex and the private sector easily. What worries me are the things we don't yet know or are never to know.

Very interesting information nonetheless.
edit on 26-9-2013 by ch1n1t0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Do the molecules ACTUALLY have no mass? Because last time i checked the photon carries some sort of kinetic property for solar sails to work (which NASA tested and they do)

photons do not have mass, and newton's laws of motion fall apart if you try to plug in photons.

you're applying newtonian laws (classical physics) to the behavior of light. this problem was sorted out by (among other things) relativity and E^2=m^2c^4+p^2c^2, simplified as e=mc^2.

the energy of a photon isn't based on it's mass or it's velocity, but it's frequency (E=fh, where h=planck's constant). photons operate with a whole different set of rules.

This is probably the best explanation for what you want.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Your soul is a molecular structure with no mass but it can me connected to molecules that do have mass. and it can also be severed from it as well.

Nothing new under the sun. God is Photonic

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

"It's not an in-apt analogy to compare this to light sabers," Lukin added. "When these photons interact with each other, they're pushing against and deflect each other. The physics of what's happening in these molecules is similar to what we see in the movies."

haha Luke, sorry Lukin talks about light sabers..
edit on 26-9-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Cool stuff but its nothing all that groundbreaking. I do believe this process it happens naturally a lot, even in supercooled rubidium gas, and no equipment would be necessary in space there is plenty of super cooled rubidium gas clouds around it seems, and they all have protons shooting through them all the time some of these gas clouds are many times larger then our planet. Photons if anything are like seedlings or it would be better said that they are a catalyst, even in that experiment they were the catalyst to changing or energizing the rubidium atoms around them as they passed through.
Rubidium-rich asymptotic giant branch stars in the Magellanic Clouds

They want to make them carry data/information so they can use it for quantum computing. Mmm OK, sure why not? But maybe they should contemplate that photons already carry data, for all they know we could exist in some sort vast and giant quantum computer which we like to call the universe.

But ya, Anyways! All matter is energy, all energy is form and function, photons are a just another form of function. But everything is energy. The capacity of which we are able to interact and perceive and process photons is the form and function of what they are. So, they shoot two photons through some super cool gas and they came out the other end entangled as one. That is because they are one already, just not by our current definitions and conceptions of things however. They could have also came out as a wave, they have that experiment as well I think.

Cool thread anyways. But for some reason such things sound much more cooler when lightsabers are involved.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Frequency is a measure of mass and velocity. Don't you understand?

Something has to frequent. And something must frequent at some rate.

Therefore, frequency...

Energy is potential. Energy expended, which is the only kind we are genuinely able to record and/or somewhat accurately predict, is kinetic.

Do not mistake the ability to be able to predict the outcome of kinetic energy to being able to understand the depth of potential energy.

-Something must move.

-There had to be a first something, somewhere.

-To assume light has no mass is to assume it is nothing.

-The definition of mass is something that matters!

This is why we are deluded into believing frequencies are some "thing" on their own. But they are not. Frequency is a measure of something... frequency is not an object.

You surely understand that much to be true?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Korg Trinity

Biigs
This could mean all kinda of crazy possibilitys.

Do the molecules ACTUALLY have no mass? Because last time i checked the photon carries some sort of kinetic property for solar sails to work (which NASA tested and they do)

Could this be something that could be collected, fabricated and then ejected for thrust in space!?

EDIT: even more than thta, can these be bind to another other atoms to make 'light' molecules?

edit on 25-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

O.k. the science of photonic mass...

Depending on your view point on the standard model... one thing that 99% of physicist agree upon is the difference between rest mass and relativistic mass.

Let me explain...

Rest Mass is the total mass that an object has when motionless and is the value used in calculating gravitation and energy requirements for movement.

Relativistic Mass is the mass equivalent of the energy in a moving object. So in the example of a photon, it has no rest mass as it is a form of energy and although a quanta of Light (photon) can be thought of as a particle it is in fact a frequency of the electro-magnetic spectrum.

If you imagine a giant mirror in space, and shone a torch onto the mirror, the light bouncing off this mirror, lowers the light's energy state (frequency) and this energy is converted into kinetic momentum in the opposite direction to the lights bounced trajectory. The mirror would begin to move away from the torch...

The rate at which this happens does not effect the actual relativistic mass of light... The higher the frequency of the light the more relativistic mass it has, Ultra Violet has more relativistic mass than say infra-red.

So.... in answer to the question would some weird construct made out of quanta of light contain any mass... absolutely it would... but only in the interaction with matter could this mass be exploited in some way.

The most useful this would be to us at the moment is in taking advantage of the possible computational advances that could come form vastly increasing say the qbit count in a quantum computer, or speeding up data networking by a factor of 1000's depending on how complex and stable these proto energy molecules are.

I hope this isn't just another wasted gobledy goop post and someone out there or in here actually can understand what I am saying this time......

Peace,

Korg.

I understood it quite well. In fact, I already explained it in much the same way which, unfortunately, is an indication that your explanation too will be ignored.

It seems that some posters "love science" but immediately obtain feet of clay when faced with having to read and comprehend science.

Harte

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I wonder if hardlight is a potential application?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Harte

Korg Trinity

Biigs
This could mean all kinda of crazy possibilitys.

Could this be something that could be collected, fabricated and then ejected for thrust in space!?

EDIT: even more than thta, can these be bind to another other atoms to make 'light' molecules?

edit on 25-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

O.k. the science of photonic mass...

Depending on your view point on the standard model... one thing that 99% of physicist agree upon is the difference between rest mass and relativistic mass.

Let me explain...

Rest Mass is the total mass that an object has when motionless and is the value used in calculating gravitation and energy requirements for movement.

Relativistic Mass is the mass equivalent of the energy in a moving object. So in the example of a photon, it has no rest mass as it is a form of energy and although a quanta of Light (photon) can be thought of as a particle it is in fact a frequency of the electro-magnetic spectrum.

If you imagine a giant mirror in space, and shone a torch onto the mirror, the light bouncing off this mirror, lowers the light's energy state (frequency) and this energy is converted into kinetic momentum in the opposite direction to the lights bounced trajectory. The mirror would begin to move away from the torch...

The rate at which this happens does not effect the actual relativistic mass of light... The higher the frequency of the light the more relativistic mass it has, Ultra Violet has more relativistic mass than say infra-red.

So.... in answer to the question would some weird construct made out of quanta of light contain any mass... absolutely it would... but only in the interaction with matter could this mass be exploited in some way.

The most useful this would be to us at the moment is in taking advantage of the possible computational advances that could come form vastly increasing say the qbit count in a quantum computer, or speeding up data networking by a factor of 1000's depending on how complex and stable these proto energy molecules are.

I hope this isn't just another wasted gobledy goop post and someone out there or in here actually can understand what I am saying this time......

Peace,

Korg.

I understood it quite well. In fact, I already explained it in much the same way which, unfortunately, is an indication that your explanation too will be ignored.

It seems that some posters "love science" but immediately obtain feet of clay when faced with having to read and comprehend science.

Harte

The essence of this thread.....
The sheeple want their lightsabers and learned light has mass because a laser rings a cymbal, damn the posts that ruins their versions of reality. When they find out there will be no lightsabers they will be damning the scientists again and claiming govt coverup, hahaha.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I'm sure the Catholic church feels the same way.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

That is because they are one already, just not by our current definitions and conceptions of things however. They could have also came out as a wave, they have that experiment as well I think.

Would that be this experiment?

I found that experiment fascinating, it made me thing about vision or visual representation. As we see the world through our eyes, it stands as a sequence of millions upon millions of pictures. Just like the TV you watch at home, it is literally made of pictures upon pictures (vision) while at the same time we are to believe the world around us is fluent.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you take a picture it's stationary right?
Well if you take a picture of a person he/she was there right, but were they really fully there? Was not a piece of them decayed on the floor such as a piece of skin or maybe a hair left in the corridor?

I probably made my point poorly, as poor as my understanding of science. But if a picture tells a thousand words it still doesn't tell you the story, all you can do is predict and theorize around that picture.

Pictures are not fluent in any way and cannot therefore capture waves.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
dbl post... sorry
edit on 9/26/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

NewAgeMan

new_here

Something tells me they ought not do this. I can't explain why I feel this way, because I don't understand it myself. But something made my blood run cold reading that clip you posted.

I don't know enough about it to even formulate a decent argument it. Does anybody out there understand how I feel?

Yes, I think I do. From the POV of a single photon, the whole universe is touching in an acausal, timeless, spaceless domain, and as such it's entirely conceivable that the whole universe is comprised of one very very tricky photon. Thus to lock them in place and freeze or actualize their potential is placing a constraint or a limitation on something that might be "Godstuff". The material universe is itself a form of crystallized light interacting like a pressure wave against the ZeroPointField or the Akashic Field, but that's entirely natural.
Thank you for this reply. It resonates with what I was feeling. I had only a vague notion of what you explained, but no words for it.

Do you know... do photons have 'eternal life' ? That is, do they 'go on forever' if not absorbed?
edit on 9/27/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

RothchildRancor

I'm sure the Catholic church feels the same way.

You're probably right, but I wasn't thinking this from a religious standpoint. Just a natural world stance.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

edit on 9/27/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

So somebody please tell me why photons can form together to create human beings?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join