It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News worthy murders? Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Not sure if this is in the correct forum.....
With the verdict of Scott Peterson, I was wondering. Why is it that some murders get such news coverage and others nothing at all. I understand murders involving supposed "stars"
like O.J. but why Peterson? Why the Jon Bonet Ramsey case? There are many, many murders committed, there are other murders of pregnant woman, of children, so why do some get such huge news coverage with people morbidly watching like a soap opera, and others get no attention what so ever.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I have wonder this also.

I dont understand how, in OJ,s case all the proof in the world he did it. Not guilty, Peterson, hardly any physical proof and he is guilty. Mind bogling.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Yeah, I see your point(s) LadyV and SpittinC'. In regard to O.J. who i think was guilty
was acquitted in order to prevent riots.

Sanc'.

edit: text

[edit on 14-11-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
You should have realized long ago that the mainstream media is as much news as candy is a well-balanced meal. The news networks of today pander to what will get people watching; murders are very interesting for many people, but of course they can't cover all the murders so they just choose a select few and emphasize their coverage on that.

The mainstream news is basically sleazy entertainment wrapped up in a package of integrity.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Just my theory: in the Peterson and Ramsey cases, both murders took place at Christmas, and there's something particularly heinous about the thought of someone being brutally murdered--by a family member, no less--during what for Christians is one of the holiest, most joyous times of the year. Also, you're supposed to be *safe* in your own home; being reminded on the most basic level that that's not always the case really grabs people's attention.

Or maybe it's just a slow news time.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
There was a peice on this I believe on CBS Sunday Morning, in combination with the time of the year, it could be the fact that they were attractive women living in nice towns, sort of a picture perfect landscape all crashing down. I also hate to say this but we hear alot more about white victims and murders then those of blacks as well.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have also questioned the reasons for this display. There are so many important, life threatening events going on in the US and the world I can't imagine why anyone would spend time watching this stuff.

It does happen, even among friends of mine. I am the one who is told to, "Get a life".
They can't imagine why I am not interested.

Yes, it is terrible. But as someone else said it is happening all over the states and the world. So, other than OJ, why pick these out for their entertainment value? I wasn't even interested in OJ.

People here have posted reasons as being the time of year and a picture perfect family. These reasons do not explain it for me.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's treated like a soap opera because it's in the likeness of one.
White family, middle class, pregnant white woman, mistress, financial problems.
Something horrific that much money will be made from in the coming years. Even money that will be made by Peterson and family.

Before the verdict was read the news was wondering if Scott was aquitted would he come out and speak and everyone said no way that the exclusive interview is worth too much money to just speak public.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If the killer and the victim was both ugly as hell, they wouldn`t get any attention at all. No soap opera material...

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Peterson - has to be because it was on Christmas Eve & his wife was 8 months pregnant. Whatever happened to the Robert Blake trial, every time I see him I remember that theme song from Beretta "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time....". I wonder if the media will play it if he gets convicted.

In some cases I think it's because influential connections. The family is either wealthy, has someone who works in the media, or government.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I remember when The girl kidnapped by the man and his wife, I forget the names, and the news ran it day and night till they found her.

Someone on the news mentioned that over a hundred children came up missing that same day without one word on the news.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
"If the victim ain't pretty she ain't gettin on tv"

Jon Benet was a pretty little white girl.
Peterson was a pretty little lady who was pregant!
I can just see the faces on Court tv light up when a story as dramatic as a man murdering his pregnant wife. Plus they were both white and rich and good looking! What a goldmine!

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
i hate to bring up this factor but I think skin color also plays a part in the media coverage as well as economic background of the victims.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Living in one of the highest homicide rates state in the US I can definetly say its getting out of control. Theres always something about the teenager that was murdered last tuesday or how Michael Phelps got a DWI. Its so bad I dont watch it anymore its just horrible. As an example here are the top stories today taken from www.wjz.com...

Michael Phelps Speaks About DWI Arrest
Baltimore County Cop Charged with Attempted Rape
City Teacher Under Fire for Science Experiment
B & O Railraod Museum Re-opens
Lion King Tickets Go on Sale
Father Charged with Beating Death of Toddler
Pedestrian Struck In Baltimore
Retired Judge Commits Suicide
Maryland Soldier Killed In Iraq
School Bus Crash
DNR Will Continue Fishing Rodeos
Bay Bridge Resurfacing Project Complete
Fishing Agency Won't Cap Rockfish Harvests

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Look at the tyoe of cases that get all the media attention. Most of the time they are pretty, rich, or famous. Sometimes all three.

Some times though if the case is strange enough are so horrible it will get the same attention. Things like Charles Manson we wasnt rich,pretty, or famous well we wasnt famous before he was arrested.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
its brain washing to scare the public into submission. redundant murders and accidental deaths are reported, and then stories of government success air to steer you in the direction of police state. listen and give your money to the government and all will be ok! fear creates compliance.

then the really pointless murders trials that eat up hours upon hours of precious television air time are there to distract you from the countless deaths and illigal operations our government is involved in overseas
so much pointless news, present to sap the journelistic integrety that would normally uncover these wreched truths of indecency. yuep you guessed it, FOX news by far the greatest culprit.

[edit on 14-11-2004 by sturod84]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Things like Charles Manson we wasnt rich,pretty, or famous well we wasnt famous before he was arrested.

Charles Manson...
Sharon Tate (victim) was the rich and famous Film Director Roman Polanski�s pretty and famous wife...

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The media run with what plays. The Peterson case caught the attention of the public because of its daily twists and turns. It began as a missing persons case, which started the national manhunt, as many cases do. It continued because it kept getting stranger and stranger.

The Coen Brothers could not have dreamed up a darker or more macabre tale infidelity and intrigue as this one and they've done some good ones over the years. This story has exactly the kind of elements that makes classics like Othello.

It just takes a certain mix of components to keep the public interest and in time you get a giant feedback loop going. Almost all missing person cases, if not quickly resolved, get some media attention.

The one's that keep our attention are the really juicy ones and this one was plenty juicy.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think its just something that someday will become known as the "CNN Syndrome". These stories, that would otherwise be local more-film-at-11 type stories, are needed by CNN to fill air time, but fill it in a way that draws advertisers. CNN would go broke if it just ran economic news, serious foreign affairs analysis, etc. They need "human interest" stories, since that suits the interests of a substantial percentage of their viewers. So they get pumped up, over covered, pored over by talking heads, examined in excruciating detail and so on. And so they become nation-wide stories that everyone talks about over the water cooler at work... indeed, because of CNN's reach, they become global stories... whether the rest of us give a damn or not.

There's no question that they overdo the coverage.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Things like Charles Manson we wasnt rich,pretty, or famous well we wasnt famous before he was arrested.

Charles Manson...
Sharon Tate (victim) was the rich and famous Film Director Roman Polanski�s pretty and famous wife...

Oh man I forgot about that bad example.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join