It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Filibuster Obamcare has started!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

To be fair i didn't being mother Teresa into this thread, someone else did to force a good/bad visualization against senator Cruz. What i merely did was telling people of the abysmal conditions she kept the impoverished under in her home mission because of her belief that being poor and humble made get closer to God, which is fine but she forced other very sick and hungry intro forced poverty to sustain her "godliness".

But as that member pointed out it's a thread on its own so let's not stray farther.

For those complaining about his wife. Really? Where he or his wife writes the check their paying their insurance with their money. The government doesn't pay the 72% Durbin, Reid Obama and co enjoy and will continue to enjoy as the rest of us lose work hours and benefits.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Shadowcast because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

EarthCitizen07

I am not even a tea party supporter. I am an occupy supporter, but occupy has gone silent of late, so anyone that fights the machine is welcome by me.

Occupy failed because they made an early decision not to have leadership.

The TP is failing because it was hijacked by ideological extremists and funded by Billionaires. ...Thus a party that was founded to protest the bailouts of banks, now loves corporations and is now just angry at the poor...which ironically grew in size after the banks screwed us all over.

We are going to need to fix the playing field first, then genuinely launch a 3rd party. But launching a third party into the cesspool of our campaign system we have now is just a sacrificial exercise, an offering to the wealthy and corrupt.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

From a very pragmatic, non-partisan perspective.

Repeal? Never going to happen. The GOP don't have the votes now, they won't have them after the next election...they need a Veto proof majority. Aside from that, if by some unprecedented insane crisis moment that favors the GOP come next November and somehow they actually gain enough seats to have a Veto proof majority...by then parts of the law are in place and any repeal will involve throwing millions of Americans off healthcare...Do you think that is going to happen???

Replace?...Again...never going to happen...ever.

Retool? Possible, but not until after the November elections, early 2015 at best. until then the GOP need Obamacare as imperfect as possible for campaign stump speeches coming into congressional elections. If the TP caucus holds their control through the Nov. elections then nothing will get fixed until 2016/2017 after the presidential elections, again because fixing it isn't something the GOP want to do under any circumstances, when it is to their advantage to have the law as imperfect as possible for campaign purposes.

So...this debate is simply for campaign purposes...that's it.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Shadowcast
reply to post by Indigo5

To be fair i didn't being mother Teresa into this thread, someone else did to force a good/bad visualization against senator Cruz. What i merely did was telling people of the abysmal conditions she kept the impoverished under in her home mission because of her belief that being poor and humble made get closer to God, which is fine but she forced other very sick and hungry intro forced poverty to sustain her "godliness".

Just a quick reply...you are confusing those she helped with the Nuns of her Order. She did not "keep the impoverished" impoverished?

Mother Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, a Roman Catholic religious congregation, which in 2012 consisted of over 4,500 sisters and is active in 133 countries. They run hospices and homes for people with HIV/AIDS, leprosy and tuberculosis; soup kitchens; children's and family counseling programmes; orphanages; and schools. Members of the order must adhere to the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience, and the fourth vow, to give "Wholehearted and Free service to the poorest of the poor".

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ok here is what I dont get.

If the affordable health care act is really as bad as republicans say it is, why don't they just let the bill pass, and the ensuing "train wreck" will guarantee the GOP election victories for years to come? Then when they achieve this election landslide, they can just repeal it then? It doesn't wash. And please don't give me the "because they care about the country" line of bull, all politicians care about 2 things, money and getting re-elected. Their behavior seems more to me like they are afraid it WILL work very well, and their political goose will be cooked as a result. Just an observation. In the words of Shakespeare, "Me thinks thou doth protest too much".
edit on 26-9-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

EarthCitizen07
reply to post by Indigo5

One of the best posts you made in a while. I sort of agree with you, but remember just because you work for a bad company does not make you bad yourself. Its like criticising someone who works at walmart and calling them a loser.

Can you imagine the TP Headlines if Michelle Obama was working for Goldman Sachs to the tune of managing 14 Billion in funds?

And yet the TP hero's wife works for the Wall Street Banks/Massive Bailout recipients that the TP itself was founded to battle against? And all is kosher and good...

Just sayin...Now...I have nothing against Ted Cruz's wife, I don't know her personally...

Cruz and his wife, Heidi Cruz (née Nelson), have two daughters. Cruz met his wife while working on the George W. Bush presidential campaign of 2000. Cruz's wife is currently head of the Southwest Region in the Investment Management Division of Goldman, Sachs & Co. and previously worked in the White House for Condoleezza Rice and in New York as an investment banker.[94]

But Cruz?

He spent exactly 1 year in the real world before he joined Bush-Cheney.

He doesn't have his own wealth, aside from taxpayer funded payroll.

He is a poser and BSer.. THIS IS CRUZ'S RESUME...How does THIS GUY end up the TP hero?...Poser

After Cruz finished his clerkships, he took a position with Cooper, Carvin & Rosenthal, which is now known as Cooper & Kirk, LLC, from 1997 to 1998

In 1998, Cruz served as private counsel for Congressman John Boehner during Boehner's lawsuit against Congressman Jim McDermott for releasing a tape recording of a Boehner telephone conversation

Cruz joined the Bush–Cheney campaign in 1999 as a domestic policy adviser, advising then-Governor George W. Bush on a wide range of policy and legal matters, including civil justice, criminal justice, constitutional law, immigration, and government reform.[39]

Cruz assisted in assembling the Bush legal team, devise strategy, and draft pleadings in the Florida and U.S. Supreme Courts during the 2000 Florida presidential recounts, winning twice in the U.S. Supreme Court.[41][36]

After President Bush took office, Cruz served as an associate deputy attorney general in the U.S. Justice Department[1][41] and as the director of policy planning at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission

Texas Solicitor General[edit]

Appointed to the office of Solicitor General of Texas by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott,[3][42] Cruz served in that position from 2003 to 2008

After leaving the Solicitor General position in 2008, he worked in a private law firm in Houston, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, often representing corporate clients, until he was sworn in a U.S. Senator from Texas in 2013
edit on 26-9-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How much does it cost to go through medical school? That means four years of college and medical school. I have heard up to $250k by the time its all said and done. Then work four years graveyard shift at some hospital before becoming a full fledged doctor able to open your own office or work at a hospital normal shifts.

The cost of education is too high. Plus I already mentioned that big pharma takes a big hit in international sales because they negotiate with foreign governments. These are the real issues why healthcare is so expensive in usa. Its a complicated interwoven web of problems that needs to be addressed and solved before healthcare costs go done. Of course the government cant do much about this on its own.

Once americans cant afford to pay what they pay now, then healthcare will automatically deflate itself to reasonable levels. It wont happen overnight. If 33% cant already pay for their insurance premiums and with this continous recession the numbers could go upwards of 50%. Perhaps that is why government stepped in to stop the deflation of healthcare TO FORCE EVERYONE to have it.

Supply and demand could have taken care of everything but big business doesnt like loosing and going out of business.

Also college and university tuition is way overpriced in general.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Heck no we don't want Health Care reform in order to control the cost of health care and begin the process of making it accessible to one and all and so that Insurance companies can't deny coverage, it's something championed by Obama and Obama is pure evil therefore "Obamacare" is also evil. Down with the Affordable Health Care Act, down with Obamacare!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

eLPresidente

sonnny1

netbound
Can anyone here validate that jobs are being lost due to Obamacare?

Sure.

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, laid off 275 employees this year, and planned on dropping roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years.

"Health care reform mandates" are to blame for up to 400 jobs being dropped at Orlando Health.

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker confirmed 1,000 jobs were lost due to Obamacare.

Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center cited "the challenges of health care reform" while announcing the elimination of 950 jobs.

The medical device tax also claimed positions at Boston Scientific. The company first announced in 2011 that they would be cutting between 1,200 and 1,400 positions. Then in January of this year, they announced further layoffs for up to 1,000 employees.

Smith & Nephew, a global medical technology firm, dropped 100 employees.

A Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance office was closed, resulting in another 100 or so employees hitting the unemployment lines. The reason? Complexities in federal regulations and mandates implemented by Obamacare.

In March of 2010, medical device maker Medtronic warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions, and scheduled another 500 by the end of the fourth quarter in 2013.

Reading Hospital announced layoffs for 210 workers, and the elimination of another 181 jobs through attrition, citing federal health care reform requirements.

Abbott Laboratories announced a series of layoffs that would result in approximately 1,900 people being out of work. The company cited "U.S. health-care reform and the challenging regulatory environment” as a reason for the job cuts, then proceeded to donate money to politicians wanting to change Obamacare.

The Obamacare Job Graveyard
edit on 24-9-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

No man, didn't you hear the darkknight? all business owners are evil and are only watching out for themselves, don't blame obamacare, blame every single evil business owner out there!!!

Sorry, but if the shoe fits............

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Big business is to blame. They can ride out storms due to *economies of scale* macroeconomic theory(they purchase and sell in high volume and at a discount), they have enough money to effectively lobby government and get favors, they get plenty of tax breaks.

Small business are victims.

Huge difference between the two!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

eLPresidente
Indigo5, what is wrong with having a GREAT healthcare plan? If I worked my way up to a VP position at Goldman Sachs, I would be demanding a GREAT healthcare plan too.

True, not everybody gets to be a big shot finance executive but not everybody can break dance to impress girls either. You have to earn it.

Did Cruz's wife earn her position at Goldman and healthcare plan? not exclusively true but most probably. The fact that Cruz himself may or may not be attached to that healthcare plan bares no connection to his wanting to defund obamacare. He is claiming to do it for his constituents, the people who have been calling, emailing ,and tweeting him to stop the "trainwreck" as so labeled by the lead author of Obamacare.

So what is the problem?

There is a mythology in this country that most people work their way up to the top. Maybe a few do, but for the most part its social class, connections, and whose family you belong to. There IS a class system in this country, and most people "get to the top" not because of hard work, but because of who they know. Where some people go into obscene levels of debt to get a college education, then spend years working just to pay off the debt, there are others whose wealthy parents bankroll their entire education, and when they are finished there is a place waiting for them at the table because of the social/business connections their parents have. Its a CLUB not all of us belong to. For one of the people in the latter catagory to pretend to have struggled to the same degree as the former, is obvious and insulting to most.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Okay, how is that any different than what I said? Maybe if you married an extremely rich woman you would have great healthcare to. I used to date a super rich chick, if I married her I would have amazing health care. It's all about opportunity, and he took his a lot farther than you or me have apparently.

And if you're so angry about the tax payers paying for Ted Cruz's healthcare, then you are on the wrong side by supporting Obamacare my friend.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I... I just want coverage so I don't become bankrupt if one of my ovarian cysts bursts. It would also be nice, but not needed, if my BC was free... That's all I want America, why can't I get that without everyone going at each others throats?

I say let the market speak. If it's really as bad as they say, let it loose upon the people. Maybe that will get some more people riled up and out of their armchairs. No one noticed when it was first proposed and passed, maybe they will notice now.

I know the place that holds the contract for my companys work has already posted that they will be cutting back hours and extending how long you have to work there to get benefits. Not good news for the people there, but we will see if it's permanent or just the place being too cautious.

I will be looking at the exchanges when they become live, and I may purchase insurance through them. When you're on that tiny red line of not having enough hours at work to be full time

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JRockABM

The national health care in Germany is reaching it's 200 year birthday...The NAZI party had nothing to do with it.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberLegit

You're argument only proves what many knew all along. The single payer method "IS" the only logical consideration of the issue.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

NewAgeMan

Heck no we don't want Health Care reform in order to control the cost of health care and begin the process of making it accessible to one and all and so that Insurance companies can't deny coverage, it's something championed by Obama and Obama is pure evil therefore "Obamacare" is also evil. Down with the Affordable Health Care Act, down with Obamacare!

I don't give a damn what you have or want to have. My issue is with YOU forcing ME to have the same damned thing, when I don't want or need it.

I take care of my own health, no insurance required. If I had wanted a pill-pusher to get involved in it, I'd have gone to med school.

I'm not buying into this insurance ponzi scam, I'm not supporting corporate greed by buying ANY kind of insurance. From the looks of things, I ought to have legal standing to take the government to court in 2014 or 2015, after they've "fined" me or "taxed" me or whatever that penalty is called this week. What they call it changes constantly, depending on what the government/corporate eel is trying to slip out of at the moment.

They can all bite me.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Not much into politics, but this so called filibuster (which in end was not that really) reminds me many parodies back from 80s and 90s, something like Mr. Been show.

He referenced 'great' speech by Ashton Kutcher that he twitted (good speech that you can post in 140 characters) and his favorite book - Dr. Seuss - Green eggs and ham - which apparently he did not read, as if went further down the book after I don't like it Sam-I-am, he would notice that it is exactly what clueless republican party should do - try it to like it.

It is sad that our money, tax payer money goes into pocket of politician like this... that don't even can't grasp meaning behind elementary school level book.

And I was not afraid for his health during his over 21 hour non-sense, as he is covered under government medical program, while trying to limit who else should get medical coverage... what a hypocrite... whole GOP.
edit on 27-9-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Nothing like a 21 hour fake filibuster. 21 hours of a guy stroking his own ego.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

NewAgeMan

LIke I said, had the government not passed the ACA in a few more years a lot of HMOs would have had to either lower rates substantially to entice clients OR go out of business. Insurance is no different to any other business, that means supply and demand should dictate everything in a capitalist society.

What they are doing now is the exact opposite. They are using government as unfair leverage to force everyone to buy insurance at exorbitant rates. Its called racketering in criminal science terms. Big business and government acting in unison.

A lot of people know its bad, but I am not sure they know WHY its bad!
edit on 27/9/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So what? Billionares control the democrat party as well. At least Ted Cruz is on the correct side of the issues and has the nerve to do something about it.

I could say trillionares but that would be "a conspiracy theory". Do some research on the rockefellers and rothschilds.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join