It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Practices Nuking U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
20,000 to 40,000 Nukes?????????????

I never imagined such a number. That's disgusting.

Just imagine how many we got?!?!?!?

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
People you seeme to be drifting away.

Who cares how many nukes we got. The number is high. Doesn't matter 2000 or 200 000.

This is only a hint of what's to come.

Korea, china, iran, syria, russia etc... this is going to be one hell of a summer

[Edited on 19-5-2003 by Liberator]

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
"The newspaper says that as soon as NATO Secretary General George Robertson leaves the Russian capital, Moscow will immediately launch the largest military exercises it has seen in years. During the exercises, the newspaper says, Russian strategic bombers and submarine missile-carriers will simulate nuclear attacks against several military targets on the territory of the USA and Great Britain. "

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
i read in a book sumwhere that back '45, the A- bomb had a blast radius of 3 miles approx. But today, if u get nuked by the biggest nuke...FURGEDDABOUTIT!!! (donnie brasco
)... you're looking at some crazy 50 km pure, unadulterated, Die Hard $#iT
!!!

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Daystar, I did a topic on the subject.CLICK. You'll find a link in my first post. All you want to know is there.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Pretty scary news, I agree, especially when you look at the numbers.

But anyone wonder if maybe things like this are just a giant worldwide distraction for the people? If so, what would they be doing that would prompt such a huge distraction?

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
that will provide useful info in the future

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
"U.S. Wins The War!
They totally destroyed us 2.3 times, we totally destroyed them 4.6 times! Go America!

Makes alot of sense doesn't it?...

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Thorfinn you sarcasm is totally justified

if someone was mental enough to use a nuke, who in the blu f**k would need thousands of them?

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 12:57 PM
link   
well, in case *some* of them dont explode you can always count on a back stock

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by abstract_alao

Originally posted by Illmatic67
20,000 to 40,000 Nukes?????????????

I never imagined such a number. That's disgusting.

Just imagine how many we got?!?!?!?

And just think, while you turn your nose up in disgust, those nukes have kept you free and non-Russian speaking for decades.

We no longer have nearly the special weapons as the old days. Places that used to house them are now shut down.

And, by the way, having 30k of them is not the same as being able to launch 30k. Most of them are stored. And as the rest of already said, why have exercises involving Chechya when you could practice for one day having to fight the U.S.?

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
"U.S. Wins The War!
They totally destroyed us 2.3 times, we totally destroyed them 4.6 times! Go America!

Makes alot of sense doesn't it?...

Do not expect that every weapon launched will be a weapon detonated. They aren't all that and a bag of chips. With my luck, though, every Soviet missile aimed anywhere near me will detonate flawlessly!

posted on May, 20 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think you missed the point. The point is, is the fact that we have so many of these powerful weapons is the actual joke.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Why is that the joke? I like jokes, what did I miss?

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The scary thing is that the Russians have admitted that they don't really know how many nuclear weapons they have or where they all are. This was covered in a 60 minutes (I think) some time ago. They are supposed to be correcting this situation, but I still don't know if they have determined just how many weapons they have or where they are located. Also security on some Russian bases seem to be lacking. This can present some frightening scenarios (Russian generals selling nukes for big bucks). The fact that we been practicing shooting at each other should come as no suprise.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 04:46 AM
link   
There's no little concern about the state of the US silo'd weapons also, j-flieger. Many have not been regularly, or sufficiently frequently, upgraded and many of the most skilled personnel have long since left or retired from the military.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I think, by the way, that it's fairly hard to dismiss Thomas's point about the success of MAD as a doctrine although it is morally repugnant, not to mention ruinously expensive.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
And the range 20,000-40,000 is absurdly inexact: one imagines a number was simply plucked from the air - and who could easily verify it?

Correct that figure is absurd, the Russian's have roughly 8500 nulear weapons. They could produce more as they have many of the decommissioned warhead plutonium pits in storage, but so could the US.

Don't forget, the Russian also practice nuclear war with China as well. As they have for the past 40 years.

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Even 8500 war heads is a lot. I have heard that even a small exchange (100 war heads for each side) would produce a nuclear winter with a drop of 10 degrees Farenheit. Also just how decommissioned are the decommissioned warheads in storage? Just how hard would it be to bring these weapons to an operational state?

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Also just how decommissioned are the decommissioned warheads in storage? Just how hard would it be to bring these weapons to an operational state?

There are several hundred nuclear weapons cores in storage at the PANTEX facility in west Texas. In this facility, all the cores are physically removed from the weapon and put into individual storage. Granted, all you would have to do is put the core back into the weapon, although doing so would likely be an hours long project, and that is assuming that the personnel doing it were properly trained.

<< 1    3 >>

join