It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absence of sunspots, bitterly cold winters, some predicting a mini ice age.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a bitterly cold winter.

Coincidentally, there has been a steady decline in the sun's activity.

This is not the first time that its been recorded. The “Maunder Minimum” which stretched from 1645 to 1715 corresponded with the most bitterly cold period that the earth experienced in the last 1000 years.

The Weakest Solar Cycle in 100 Years.

A team of experts looking into this phenomenon are at a loss.

Matthew Penn (of the National Solar Observatory)...“if this trend continues, there will be almost no spots in Cycle 25, and we might be going into another Maunder Minimum.”

They have raised the possibility that the sun's activity in the form of sunspots may stop altogether, is the sunspot cycle about to stop?

Whats this mean for us? Freezing cold temps? Florida, here I come. Screw this.

edit on 24-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Hey, all Big Media say the Earth is hotter than ever. If the Media say it, it must be true, right?

S&F for the thread. This Maunder Minimum may explain why the sun isn't behaving as expected, and why winters here in Canada are growing colder and colder. Last winter, Russia and India had cold records too. In Canada we still had snowfalls in May.

It's stricking how "global warming" trend closely follows the Sun's activity. Just like in the "global warming" charts, you see a big peak circa 2000s (about the time where Al Gore made his ever-successful movie), then a steady decline. Even according to mainstream "global warming" charts themselves, there is a decline of 0.4 degrees between the 2000s and present day.

edit on 24-9-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Good thing we have Global Warming/Climate Change to save us. Oh wait, they aren't the same thing are they? Climate change is just the changing of the seasons so nothing to worry about there. Didn't we used to call it Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter?

Stories such as the OP posted are gonna kill Al Gores portfolio and fan base.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ive heard a lot about this lately. Glad I bought the Armys negative 30 below sleeping bag, Gosh that thing is Hot, inside when using all 3 layers. LOL. Underground housing anyone.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Thank you.

I find this all a bit confusing. Apparently, the Maunder Minimum was a period during the late 1600s but these super nerds are explaining that this mini ice age corresponded to a lack of the sun's activity or sunspots.

Looks like this activity is designated into cycles. The most recent cycle, 24, saw decreased activity. If the trend continues, the next cycle (25), could be even worse, causing a drop in temperatures.

I'm already cold just reading about this, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
edit on 24-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Few people realize that a major cooling of worldwide temperature will cause much more devastations and casualties than global warming. If temperatures drop at the level of 1816, crops production will suffer, water will freeze in the form of ice instead of irrigating the lands, and energy consumption will peak (to warm people up).

All that with a population trending to 8 billions.

All I can say is, Ouch.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Good thing we're going to keep the fuel furnace and fill the tank, after we get the heat pump installed. But its been a typical early fall here, mixed weather but plenty of sunshine. Southern BC hasn't really had any changes in temperature from the norm.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Glassbender777
Glad I bought the Armys negative 30 below sleeping bag, Gosh that thing is Hot, inside when using all 3 layers.

That's because you're using it wrong.

First, you have to use it during winter, not summer.

And secondly, you have to be in the Army. Or else it'll work all wrong, of course.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Am I the only one who understood what global warming actually meant to temps? When the earths oceans heat up and ice melt happens as we witnessed over the past decade, it causes a shift in global temps which in the short term causes drought and higher temps but in the long run, where we are now causes all that melt off to rise and fall in the form of flooding rains, tornadoes, hurricanes, and ultimately a mini freeze.

I am a simple woman, I understand only the basics of principal, but this was abundantly clear to me 10 years ago and what it meant for the next decade, where we are now. I began to prepare accordingly. I understand that weather is no longer something which can be studied by past patterns , and the outcome of these changes should be looked at year to year rather than by past models.

I am a grower, a farmer and some of the best information I have received were not by graphs and projections but through the very old, the farmers who have lived through difficult changes and remember how to simply prepare accordingly.

Some years are warmer and some are colder. Some years are wetter and some are drier.

The past 2 years were very telling to the elderly farmers in the Midwest, it recalls years back in the beginning of the 1900's where snow was so deep they could walk over fencing and never have to climb over. years where they were cutting firewood through most of the winter.

It is not a great thought to think about how people have relied upon the power companies and grocery stores for their well being and this year just may be the kick in the arse people who can be more self reliant need to become in more than thought.

I wish I was more prepared, but I live around people who take everything for granted too no matter what I try to warn them about. I need wood and a whole lot more food than I have on hand. However with food prices so high, I can barely make it through the month.

The mres and water from FEMA will come in handy this year, but even those numbers are alarming because if you do the math, that's only enough for 'one' meal and one pouch of water for a few.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

antar
The past 2 years were very telling to the elderly farmers in the Midwest, it recalls years back in the beginning of the 1900's where snow was so deep they could walk over fencing and never have to climb over. years where they were cutting firewood through most of the winter.

Wow. Amazing how about only 1 degree can precipitate such a major climate shift.

I just HOPE we aren't heading back to that era. Imagine all the power consumption but this time with 8 billion of people... the pollution caused by the over-use of fossil energy sources, the dazing effect that'll have...

Thanks for posting!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see how their theories evolve but itsn't it too soon to assume this is not going to still happen? I see in an article the conditions were right so it should have happened as predicted but we are still quite young as far as measuring intervals.

The earths magnetic field is also weakening as it continues to drift. Could this be related? All of this could be explained from our own accumulated knowledge or it could be an anomoly not previously recorded. In the scheme of things we are babies in our learning. Overall I would like to see how changes in earth spreading and magnetic changes are correlated with the sun. Maybe something to do with this heliopause.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Winter's Coming!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

swanne

Few people realize that a major cooling of worldwide temperature will cause much more devastations and casualties than global warming. If temperatures drop at the level of 1816, crops production will suffer, water will freeze in the form of ice instead of irrigating the lands, and energy consumption will peak (to warm people up).

All I can say is, Ouch.

Thanks for the cheery outlook....lol. I wish it weren't true. You're absolutely right. We're in terrible terrible trouble if the world is moving into another mini-ice age. Humans really do like to eat....and that may become more than can be managed for a % of the 7 billion, if climate shifts just a but out of prime for planting seasons and healthy harvests around the globe. Places like California have already cut their own throats by their own choice in water diversion from food crops which used to literally feed the world. Now California is too busted to care for itself. Just ONE major food production center already in a state of partial collapse.....without more to add to it.

It wouldn't even take long for the dying to start. I'd give it 6 months. Maybe... once crop failure and replanting failure became widely seen and known.
edit on 24-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I've seen crops in California covered by huge sheets of clear plastic during cold snaps - to act like a greenhouse. I imagine with technology they would find a way to trap heat and create an atmosphere for growing in cold temps. I hope so anyway. I can see it happening for a few weeks but all winter? Maybe it would be good to do an experiment on a small scale here at home.

Another thing about a cold period would be how disease would then spread. They are currently expanding geographically and in severity. While it may halt some animal die off's malnutrition would get them if disease didn't (with an exteme shift in temps). Because new or stronger diseases are already established and spreading they would only get worse in the human population.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

swanne

All I can say is, Ouch.

People are too busy laughing about the whole global warming thing,whenever it is a bit colder than normally.
Over and over it was explained that this global warming ultimately will result in (at best) a mini ïce age"

There were a lot of very hungry people during the last Maunder minimum. There will be many this time.

Here in Holland all cables are underground, but in the states they are not. Seeing what happens whenever a lot of snow snaps all these cables, I fear there will be many very cold people this winter.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

notsosunny
Here in Holland all cables are underground, but in the states they are not. Seeing what happens whenever a lot of snow snaps all these cables, I fear there will be many very cold people this winter.

I've never seen snow snap cables, but a good ice storm will do a number on them. Snow covered trees collapsing on cable lines also does them no good either.

If we do hit another mini-ice age...war is just around the corner as people freak out from the lack of food, energy, etc, etc.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the poles about to flip, didn't they (scientists) say the sun would see a decrease in spots and flares and the have a huge eruption of them once the poles level out in their new polarity?
I also read that this is the first recorded event where during the pole reversal, the sun has two south poles?

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well it that is true, let get back to basic, canning for the long winter, drying of meat and more wood for the fire places and lots of candles or hell lot of batteries for the flashlights.

Yes I am been somewhat sarcastic, I can always move back home in PR. I bet is going to be wonderful to seat by the ocean without worrying about digging myself out of the snow.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Good post OP.

We better hope that we don't get a major volcanic eruption during this time, else we get a year or two without a Summer.

Source: wikipedia

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

According to ice core data earth appears to be nearing the end of an interglacial (warm period). The question to my mind is when? 1yr 100 or 3000?
Earth is usually cold with relatively brief warm periods.

en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe this is why the norway seed vault was created and the bushes have a family compound in south america somewhere.
edit on 24-9-2013 by sjorges2002 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2013 by sjorges2002 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join