It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salvation Army says “Gays Need to Be Put to Death”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You know I read stuff like this and I tell myself. Are we really in the 21st century?
By the way some people are acting it's like we are not.

I, for one, will sure as hell not be giving any money to these dbags.

And that of course is a shame because what they do actually helps people that are needy.
Why don't they see that by taking up this position they will be hurting people rather than helping.

And really if you were a needy family. Would you want their money?

I sure as hell would not.

So way to go Salvation Army. You just screwed yourself and the needy people that could actually use your help.

tgvnews.com...

Christmas, it is the time of the year for holiday shopping, and also hearing the bell ringers for the Salvation Army collection donations. Those donations provide Christmas dinners, clothing, and Christmas toys for children in need. The charity collects millions of dollars in donations every year, and they distribute it to needy families, seniors, and the homeless in keeping with the spirit of the holiday season.

The Salvation Army has expressed their Christian beliefs in the past, stating that they do not accept the LGBTQ lifestyle, nor do they stand up for gay marriage. Salvation Army went on record recently, stating that LGBTQ parents should be put to death as the bible instructs. Major Andrew Craibe, a Salvation Army Media Relations Director, went on public radio hosted by journalist Serena Ryan, to discuss a recent call by LGBTQ parents for a boycott of the nonprofit for its anti-gay policies and beliefs.

Ryan questioned Craibe about Salvation Story: Salvationist Handbook of Doctrine, the manual used to train Salvation sa1Army “soldiers” and members. Several chapters refer to the sin of homosexuality, including a section that cites Romans 1:18-32, which includes a admonition that homosexuals “deserved to die”;

edit on 23-9-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Thanks for the catch. I wasn't sure what to expect when opening your note, or reading the source. It's hard to believe....but if the story quotes the on-air intervew accurately? Wow..... Just.. WOW....

I think the Salvation Army has the right to include or exclude anyone they choose since they are not a Governmental Organization. That's their due and their right, as far as I'm concerned. It stops being anything related to their rights when they carry that publicly and/or fail to correct a radio host who, we ought to be able to admit, chose language to guide and bait the crap out of this man. Still?? *WOW*....

I'm thinking...how would I respond? Would I just gloss over or fail to catch the "Put to death" part of the reference? Well... I can honestly say that no. I absolutely would NOT miss the reference because it colors the entire discussion to follow if not corrected on the spot.

The fact this guy not only failed to correct it ...but went on the support it in an indirect but very real way in addressing the points based on it? Well... That is someone who represents the very worst of Christianity.

*** BTW .. For those not aware, Salvation Army runs Homeless shelters nationwide, among other things. They also do thrift stores all over and generally work at 2 things as their mission in life.

#1. They help the needy and particularly homeless.

#2. They work very hard to save Souls for Jesus Christ. Whether it be a personal motivation, organizational one or both for each person...doesn't really matter. It's always annoyed me that you need their hour long sermon before getting the little plate of food they offer.......but it's still their right. Right up to the point they spread it like this.

What a bad bad P.R. issue for them at this point. Just terrible..and going into the Holidays (their #1 fund raising season). They guy ought to at least be removed from any position of speaking for policy. He's worse than Biden!

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The Salvation Army does so much good work for people in need and you would let the ignorant statement of one person in their organization negate all of the positives?

Overreact much?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by grey580

Well, that explains the 'army' part, I always thought that was odd.

Yet another reason for people to be armed if they have threats against their lives.

Anything to push your gun agenda?

-------
Now to the OP. If they killed all of the gays who would take over for all their priest posistions?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Jefferton
If they killed all of the gays who would take over for all their priest posistions?

The Salvation Army doesn't have priests.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
In all the years that the Salvation Army has been helping people, no one has ever talked like this. They are unabashedly Christian, but I've NEVER heard one single hateful thing come from them. I will not let the chatter of one person taint an entire organization in my mind.

I would have no issue donating to the Salvation Army.
In fact, I highly recommend it.
If I was in need, I would have no issues in accepting help from them.
They do excellent work. The people are always nice. They save lives.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by grey580

Well, that explains the 'army' part, I always thought that was odd.

Yet another reason for people to be armed if they have threats against their lives.

You know what,

I hope they ban guns, all guns , then put anyone who owns a gun, be it a potato gun or a AR-15, in a FEMA Camp with a a whole bunch of frustrated predatory homosexual guards from the Salvation Army and whilst they are at it amend the first amendment so that its prohibited for anyone to be "pro-gun". Just so I can stop reading your gun-loving agenda on every ATS thread.

Really we get it you like your guns,

now please can we keep this thread on the that is the Salvation army saying all Gays need to be killed, something I personally think is a disgusting remark and I hope that something is done about it.

edit on 23-9-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Metallicus
reply to post by grey580

The Salvation Army does so much good work for people in need and you would let the ignorant statement of one person in their organization negate all of the positives?

Overreact much?

And I recognized that in the original op.

But when that sort of rhetoric is in the training manual then there's a problem.

Are you trying to tell me that it's not? That it's ok to put this sort of thing in the training manual?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
How can we be in the 21st century when there is a decent amount of people get their logic and ideas from a book that is created on the 2-3rd century?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I chose to live out of my car for a few weeks rather than accept the "generosity" of this group. Sure, they would give you a bunk bed and a shower, a meal or two a day, even find you a minimum wage job of which they would take 30% of what you made. Meanwhile, you also had to donate whatever free time you had left to helping them out with various volunteer projects or Jesusing it up or going to group counseling to confess your sins or whatever. No offense to any Christians out there...hey, believe what you want...1st amendment and all. I was just a little too worried about communicable diseases since most of the people at said shelter were all men with substance abuse problems, mostly heroin(can we say hepatitis?). Sure, there are a few who escape somehow, but most just get sick of the program and end up back on the streets with a needle and spoon...

Some people REQUIRE this kind of structure as they do not have the capacity to make good decisions, and I usually spent what was the last of what little I had after buying food in the little red kettle...

I'm going to do a little digging on this one...if it is true...looks like that money is going to be saved up and given randomly to someone who needs it more than me directly.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Speaking from the perspective of having two mothers, this is just another disappointment. Not a shock, not an outrage...that would imply that this was somehow unexpected or unusual. Nope. Just disappointed that they haven't learned better. But someday, I think these people will either have to let go of their bigotry...or be lost in the dust trail as we head into the future.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I agree Flyers. In my pesonal contact with the Salvation Army, I've never had anything but good and positive experiences. I mentioned the sermons annoy....but thats a personal thing and my problem when I'm in their house...not theirs.

This guy...kinda shocks me. Either the Salvation Army has taken a real hard core line in recent times, as others have in feeling pushed on moral issues ...or this guy is just brain dead for speaking on what is obviously taken to be their policy as he said it (or just failed to say "NO! We do NOT believe that".

I suppose, where this guy is in charge, homeless gays can just starve and die? Damn.... They do need to do some damage control because you're right...this is NOT the face I've ever seen of that organization.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There are many other worthwhile charity's tout there aside from them. I have donated to them on occasion but from now on I will stick with the ones associated with veterans.

With the salvation army I have always been uneasy with how they sell donated goods at their stores. I am sure there are many people out there who could have used those items. When people are freezing up north and their stores are full of cloths it never made much sense to me. Oh well it is their business model.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

here is the snopes page www.snopes.com...

here is a link to the actual bible passage www.biblegateway.com...

here is the death part

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

per the snopes page they did issue an apology

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ok, here are 2 standards pushed by Christians, Do not judge and do not commit murder. What part of this does the Salvation Army or any other Christian organization not get? According to Christian theology God is the only who can pass judgment. The Bible that is always quoted by Christians teaches do unto others as you would have done to you. I can't stand the hypocrisy of religion and it's leaders.
edit on 23-9-2013 by 2manyholes because: typo

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Whats sad is many people think like this, as many people claim this is a 'progressive world' and the 'gay agenda' and 'Liberal agenda' are taking over, there are many who believe like this, i have encountered many who have not been afraid to claim this to my face.

what if they said all straight people should die? or all Christians should die? how would people react

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

I really appreciate the follow-up and added info. Especially about the apology. It sounds right to hear that in response to such thing and I'm glad they did it. I'll get to reading more about this tonight when I get home and have time to get into it more, but your note helps at least take the annoyance out of someone having presented a public face like this in the first place.

On a practical note and what I'd started to mention on the other one? The radio guy did seem to really set him up for this by using that language. It's something all of us should watch closely for when dealing with any form of Media we don't actually work for ...and heck. even then? I would still watch wording carefully. Talk about a message I am sure the Salvation Army had absolutely no Earthly intention of sending to anyone. Sure not like this....

At least here, we catch 'the rest of the story'...like you just shared. How many people only saw the first headline, made a snap emotional reaction and judgement and will never see any of what came after?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join