It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigfoot Sightings Map: See 92 Years Of 'Squatch In The U.S., Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here is an interesting article in the Huffington Post illustrating a map with Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Skunk Ape sightings across the U.S. and Canada created by Penn State doctoral candidate Josh Stevens:

"Right away, you can see that sightings are not evenly distributed," Stevens writes on his website. "There are distinct regions where sightings are incredibly common, despite a very sparse population. On the other hand, in some of the most densely populated areas, Sasquatch sightings are exceedingly rare. The terrain and habitat likely play a major role in the distribution of reports."

Article source: Bigfoot Sightings Map: See 92 Years Of 'Squatch In The U.S., Canada By Josh Stevens (PHOTO)

To me this is an interesting map as sightings coincide with areas that have an abundance of food and water resources and places to hide for a top predator to survive and flourish. Since I live in the West, it is apparent to see the pattern where this creature has travelled and avoided the vast deserts and plains. But it can also coincide with the population density of those areas as well for sightings. The BFRO site is a good source of information since investigators follow up on submitted reports.
This is a project I had started a few years ago using Google Earth and pinning sightings to credible reports using several Bigfoot websites. This guy did a better job.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

And yet no good photographic or video evidence. Why?

CJ

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I have read a lot of reports from different Bigfoot websites and most of these occur by surprise, such as when people are driving on a highway or hiking. When I'm driving through the country, I never keep a camera on me. If I'm hiking, biking or hunting my camera/phone is in my backpack.
The best video evidence has been the Patterson-Gimlin film analyzed by Bill Munns. Look it up on YouTube. Hopefully with more people catching on to this phenomena, and the proliferation of GoPro video cameras we will get better footage than just blobsquatches caught on grainy film.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
OP I think this map is pointing out that Bigfoot seems to live just outside most major American cities. I don't really think this is evidence of Bigfoot, more like evidence against Bigfoot. Because most of the heaviest sightings occur near the cities that are closest to wilderness. Seattle, Portland, San Francisco Denver and Central Florida. Think about it, why would there be a large amount of sightings near Denver and Salt Lake City but not in the mountains in between? People are vacationing in those mountains all year long, they are less populated than the cities but still quite populated. Also, why would there be a break between Colorado-Utah and the NW cities of Seattle and Portland. Wouldn't Bigfoot THRIVE in these areas? There are less reports because there are less people to mistake a stump or a hunter for Bigfoot. Not saying he's not out there, but this is just a population map.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Kratos40
The best video evidence has been the Patterson-Gimlin film analyzed by Bill Munns. Look it up on YouTube.

Here's the video:

Although interesting, I'm still not convinced. With over 3000 alleged sightings, there should be far more evidence than what there has been.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

doctornamtab
OP I think this map is pointing out that Bigfoot seems to live just outside most major American cities. I don't really think this is evidence of Bigfoot, more like evidence against Bigfoot. Because most of the heaviest sightings occur near the cities that are closest to wilderness. Seattle, Portland, San Francisco Denver and Central Florida. Think about it, why would there be a large amount of sightings near Denver and Salt Lake City but not in the mountains in between? People are vacationing in those mountains all year long, they are less populated than the cities but still quite populated. Also, why would there be a break between Colorado-Utah and the NW cities of Seattle and Portland. Wouldn't Bigfoot THRIVE in these areas? There are less reports because there are less people to mistake a stump or a hunter for Bigfoot. Not saying he's not out there, but this is just a population map.

If you look at city urban/suburban development through the same time span, humans have been encroaching on wilderness at an exponential rate. These creatures may be trying to live in what is left of the American wilderness just as deer, bear and wolves.
If these creatures exist, they could be following the path of least resistance. By this I mean, travelling through established animal corridors instead of climbing over the precipitous Rockies or risking death in the Mojave Desert. Keep in mind that these are sightings, and not every person will submit a report. So there may have been witnesses in those mountains that people vacation in all year long.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

Kratos40
The best video evidence has been the Patterson-Gimlin film analyzed by Bill Munns. Look it up on YouTube.

Here's the video:

Although interesting, I'm still not convinced. With over 3000 alleged sightings, there should be far more evidence than what there has been.

There is actually longer version of this, but this shorter version is a part of it. Let us not forget, there are also "B-Class" reports where people hear the creatures or have found footprints. The map in the article only supplies visual sightings.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos40

How interesting that I get the antogonists immediately posting aftter my psost, but I get stars from propopents far after. Just an observation..

Chime in if you have an opinion....no one is judging you

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
My problem with Bigfoot is that with all the game camera and people out there.
you have no clear game camera photos or you have no reports of a big foot den. or wintering site.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This makes bigfoot one of the most widely spread populations of large mammals in North America. Yet not one particle of it has shown up, ever, to indicate it really exists (if we exclude pseudo science and wishful thinking). The "so called" best film of it is ambiguous at best, riddled with anomalies, very poor quality, shrouded in "iffy" circumstances and is very likely to be a fake (certainly also looks an obvious fake IMO). Nothing has ever been found to point to it being authentic (such as a bigfoot that looks like it). No bigfoot, or part of one, despite being seen crossing roads, around the edge of urban areas, seen by hunters.....If it moves in the US (which surely must be one of the most heavily armed civilian populations on the planet) it has been "filled full 'o lead" many times over the last 400 years or so. Avoiding extinction has been difficult for other large creatures.

There are plausible claims of creatures like this in other parts of the world that actually have a much longer history of sightings and a more plausible habitat, have plausible support from the fossil record etc. Though it's unlikely any of them exist as breeding populations of an unknown species. Especially in the US where it must be one of the least likely.

The so called "research" looks far more relevant to the cultural/sociological sciences than to wildlife biology.

No doubt some of the claimed sightings are harder to explain, but seem to indicate either a fascinating (if little understood) cognitive phenomena, or a supernatural one.

edit on 29-9-2013 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

top topics

join