It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Core - Should You Expect to be Arrested for Asking Questions About it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
questions on 4th grade common core worksheet??

Also, from what I have read is that this will be a dumbing down of the average student to make way for ghetto-friendly topics
Students in inner cities just aren't grasping basics..making the test scores slump..so common core is to pick up these inner city kids and bring them to an average with everyone else..or ghetto-izing the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

No shovel needed. We haven't seen the whole video so we don't know what all happened. Go listen to the video again it is apparent that the guard had already taken stuff away from the guy before this part of the video starts. You can go on your little every cop is bad cryfest all you want but I want the facts of everything that happened. If the guy was there just to start trouble seeing how he didn't even live in that school district then he should have been thrown out.
edit on 22-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Students in inner cities just aren't grasping basics..making the test scores slump..so common core is to pick up these inner city kids and bring them to an average with everyone else..or ghetto-izing the rest of us.

What a truly ignorant comment. Do you ever listen to music? Watch a movie or listen to the news? Pimp hasn't been used just in the ghettos since the 70's it's been used everywhere for decades. So don't blame the ghetto for the ignorant kids from the gated communities that know nothing about the real world.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

You beat to me to it, I was just looking for this to post it.

I couldn't believe it when I saw this on the news. Teaching ebonics to our kids is now more important than geometry and algebra.......this is a sad and lolwy state we are in.
My first grader talks about Obama all the time, like he's a freaking king. I just say "he is our President"

As far as getting arrested for asking questions at a meeting that's meant for questions and answers.... well We have had 64 years since 1984 has been published. In that time our parents as well as us have chosen to ignore all the warnings. If we don't question them now and take a stand we will lose that chance forever.

Parents need to organize their own meetings and then take it to the school who can then take it higher. Right now it is currently legal to homeschool our kids. I don't want to, but I will if pushed too far. The less kids in school the less money the district gets. I'll be damned if I went through 40hours of hell in labor between the two of them to watch them grow up speaking ebonics and saluting the president.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yet without a standardised curriculum we get this:
www.slate.com...

I can see why this kind of thing isn't so popular over there in Jesus-Land.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Please don't assume we are all Jesus freaks because we have a problem with the curriculum.

They are teaching our kids "Po Pimp and Mobstaz", there is not a darn thing anyone can say that will make me think it's okay to dumb down my kids. Poor Pimp and Mobsters would be acceptable to me but teaching my children slang is not. The cutting down of words was an actual tactic used by the powers in 1984 and now it's being done for real. And now parents who question it are being arrested or shunned....why?

As far as that test.....that is really sad but like I said don't lump us all together.

edit on 22-9-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Oh holy hell. I can understand the idea of teaching kids to see the relationship between a scientific thing and a representation in society. However, the selection of the specific subject matter as correlated is questionably related to the scientific (hurricane, tornado). it's retarded outside of being questionable in terms of "pimpness". On top of it, out of the 5 bullet points, 2 are science related and factually informative and 3 are of a rather stupid association/assumed correlation. In a sense, the stupidity outweighs the science in those bullet points.

Blargh.

*Actually have to add what my fiance said on the subject of adding "Twista" to this particular lesson: "It's like that old person that is trying to be hip, it's almost like they googled twister and music and got "Twista". Thing is, most of the kids aren't going to even know who Twista is or care and are going to see it for what it is: an old person trying to look hip."
edit on 22/9/13 by WhiteAlice because: teachers are so cool, yo!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm not sure where everyone is getting that the Common Core is meant to dumb down students. It is much more rigorous than years past, to the point that some parents and teachers are upset that the students aren't developmentally ready to handle what is expected of them.

For example, last week I was teaching my 4th graders algebra problems I first saw in my 8th grade Pre-Algebra class.

Gone are the days of 8x6=48. Now the students have to be able to solve the same fact within a word problem (if they can read it), explain why they chose multiplication, and explain the process they used while multiplying. Kids are not expected to just know the facts anymore, they have to be able to explain the entire process of multiplication in an intelligent way.

I'm not sure where the community college stuff has come from either. Colleges have been complaining for years that the incoming freshman don't know enough math and a large percentage have to take a basic math class before beginning any kind of college math classes. The Common Core has begun to fix this, though it will take years before any results are seen. That is one problem with education. A new plan is put in place but it takes years of data to determine if it is doing any good. By then, it is too late for some kids.

The same is true with reading. Colleges complained that the incoming freshman didn't know how to read the textbooks. So the answer to that was to include more non-fiction reading in K-12 schools. It doesn't mean the kids are reading ONLY non-fiction, it means they are reading MORE than before. I don't think some people realize how little non-fiction was being taught. In the real grown up world, 90% of what people have to read is non-fiction, yet schools were only teaching literature. I'm not saying literature isn't important, because it is, which is why it is still being taught despite what many people think.

People complain about the common core a lot (just do a search on ATS), but they are never complaining about the right things IMO. I wonder why no one ever asks why there are math and language arts standards but there are none for science and social studies. There aren't even any standardized tests that cover science and social studies, at least not in my state. You know what that means. We spend a total of 4+ hours per DAY on math and language arts, which is 16-20 hours per week. We spend 1 hour per WEEK on science/social studies. THAT is the biggest problem IMO.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

It clearly says in that article that this a work sheet from a Christian school! Nice try though...also even with the states passing the common core..religious based schools/private schools do not have to make the switch. So we will still see this type of ignorance.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

"history does not repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes"

I am in total agreement with the poster claiming this is a further dumbing down of the curriculum

first it was tweaking the grading curves to bring up the graduation percentages, now it's about reforming the entire system to the advantage of the lowest common denominator.

never mind that johnny still can't read...

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Of course I've heard of it silly...I'm an adult though...NOT a 4th grader. I would really prefer my young girls not have street thug language in their vocabulary..or throwing gang signs around because it is cool. I want intelligent young ladies with class..not street thug trash. Jenny can have the block

edit on 22-9-2013 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

first it was tweaking the grading curves to bring up the graduation percentages, now it's about reforming the entire system to the advantage of the lowest common denominator.

It is important to note that the department of education was created in 1980 and had already caused tremendous damage by the 1990s. The time scales involved to handicap entire generations are surprisingly short.

Continuing to be mollified by the "we'll fix it in the mix" mentality is how bands get crappy demos and never get 'signed'. Only it isn't rockstardom we are talking about here but, life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join