It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Core - Should You Expect to be Arrested for Asking Questions About it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Hopefully, this is an uncharacteristic example of how we can expect to be treated if we dare to ask penetrating questions about 'common core'.

Are there any parents here on ATS who have had similar experiences when pursuing this line of inquiry?

We do not know what happened outside the auditorium so, I am sure that there will be lots of ire regarding the seemingly hyperbolic title. Please do watch the video and read the article before you make comments as this is likely to be a knock down drag out debate and the more concise we all are about our positions, the better for everyone.

Of course, you could also ignore it and pretend that it isn't a problem that this parent's 1st amendment rights were violated in the context of a meeting about a policy that directly affects our children.

School Supers have parent arrested from Common Core meeting

As the pom-pom and rah-rah session neared an end about 20 minutes before the meeting close, parental frustration was mounting as our questions were still going unanswered. One parent, Robert Small, decided to interject to try to force some answers (see video at top of article).

He said: “I want to know how many parents here are aware that the goal of the Common Core standards isn’t to prepare kids for full-fledged universities, it’s to prepare them for community college.....Parents, take control. We’re sick of this. This is not a CNN political game. This is a public town hall... Listen, don’t stand for this. You’re sitting here like cattle. You have questions. Confront them. They don’t want to do it in public.... Parents, you need to question these people....Do the research, it’s online.”

Mr. Small was arrested after being removed from the auditorium and charged with second degree assault of a police officer and a second charge of disrupting a school function.

The video clearly shows that, if anyone was aggressive, it was the security guard, not Mr. Small. What may have happened out in the hall however, is unknown.

edit on 22-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Whats common core?

Wonder if thats a rent a cop or an off duty cop doing security. Either way, hes a piece of filth.

By no means am I blaming the man asking questions, but I have to wonder whether he would have been more effective if he had waited for the question and answer session to make his statement (assuming there was one).

Too bad his plea for others to support him fell on deaf ears. Stay seated, keep your mouth shut and do nothing, because that always works against tyrants.

When its their turn to be squashed, it'll be too late.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

edit on 22-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I cant wait for MY day.. The day some security guard touches me like that, I will maybe allow his jaw to ever function properly again..

Are there NO REAL MEN in that crowd? "hey, keep your hands off him!"

BADGES are R E D C O A T S

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
If there's anything that "they" hold near and dear aside from the control of money -- it's the control of education. To answer the previous poster's question, Common Core is a new way of standardized teaching for the entire US.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a U.S. education initiative that seeks to bring diverse state curricula into alignment with each other by following the principles of standards-based education reform. The initiative is sponsored by the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO).

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Thank you for this.

I'm beyond words. I don't think I could manage to add anything constructive to this thread it just makes me furious. I am sick and tired of watching grown adults being led around like children by amped up automatons. It sucks to stand up for what is right. Telling someone I'm not doing it, cause I did it and it came with its fair share of repercussions but I survived and I sleep well at night.

anyway thats not where this thread needs to go - sorry

Thanks again

S + F

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Having watched the video, I believe the man with the question should have gotten to his point faster. Time is money. Folks attending these meetings probably have other obligations too after the meeting has ended. He says he did research on the internet but he could have also taken more time to concisely word his question before standing up and starting a rant.

Fast forward to the security guard. You gotta feel sorry for that guy, he's just doing his job trying to get the man to stand down and save his question for later when the female audience member stands up and says we want him to stay.

The situation was not handled professionally as the host could have just listened for 2 more minutes before calling security and starting a 5 minute scene. Patience is a virtue.
edit on 22-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: (no reason given)

P.S. The security guard even showed his I.D. aka authority to move the man peacefully.

edit on 22-9-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: guard pic.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Apparently, this guy failed his community college class in communication. He was grandstanding, and he never got to his question, or his point.

I see nothing wrong with schools having a goal to prepare the average student for community college, rather than Yale. Personally, I've seen the best and the brightest, the biggest fish from a small pond, flunk out at Yale.

A couple of years at community college has the benefits of cheaper education, smaller classes, closer relationship to the teachers and community, and a way to get all those 101 classes out of the way and prepare for "real" school!

edit on 22-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

HanzHenry
I cant wait for MY day.. The day some security guard touches me like that, I will maybe allow his jaw to ever function properly again..

That's premeditated assault man...

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

From the Common Core website:

Mission Statement
The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy.

All the fanciful, verbose "mission statements" in the world are not going to save our schools from their continuing downward slide. Our society is sick, and the schools show it.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Such as 12 year olds running through the woods pretending to be slaves hiding from their white masters.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Actually the security guard was probably called to remove the citizen. We have all seen people who after the first word said to security are thrown to the ground and hand cuffed... So in this instance the guard actually used restraint considering it could have been much worse. His job is to react when called and someone on the board signaled or called for intervention and removal IMO...

If I wanted to throw slings and arrows at anyone it would be the one that called security in the first place.. Seems no one who thinks they are in charge wants anyone to point out the error of their ways.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Yep that's the common Core... My girlfriend has her degree in elementary education so she knows all about that.

Basically they think subjects such as Geometry, Algebra II, pre-calculus, calculus are uneeded as middle or highschool classes. They should instead focus on lower maths so that people won't learn unneeded topics while letting the basics go to waste.. BULL $%&#.

Also this will change English from any kind of reading of classic literature. Now it will be more technical and social studies related material. Creative writing of any kind should be lessened.

This was adopted because of a 4.4 billion dollar pay out. This is supposed to make more competitive workers in the workforce... Hahaha how do they keep a straight face?

And the dumbing down and increased robotic nature of American Society continues it's Zombie march forward.

I took Calculus I, and II, and I am very unsure how I could have done that without knowing basic math?

They site that only 5% of kids need anything up to geometry ion highschool. This is insane to me.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Full-fledged universities are a joke. They have become basically nothing more than expensive babysitting services. A good majority of the jobs on the market can easily be filled by the courses taught at a community college.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think removing this man because of his views about common cores was wrong and against what America is all about.

As far as common core is concern, it's basically making sure every grade level throughout the U.S. is following a common curriculum. They're focusing on the basics kids need to know before going onto another grade level. Currently elementary math curriculum's are introducing kids to upper level math concepts and the basic math foundations students need in everyday life is falling by the way side. Kids are entering into high school who can't spell simple words. They don't know how to read at a 9th grade level, and some haven't learned the basic math skills needed to function in an upper level high school math class.

Common core is really trying to get back to basics, because all of the new educational concepts are not working. It's really a way of setting a solid foundation and making sure all schools are making sure kids know the basics of that particular grade level before they progress onto the next grade.

I can tell you now, the way public education is set-up currently, a lot of kids are falling through the cracks. What politicians and school districts around the country have to understand, is not all kids perform at the same level. It's the reason why schools have honor's classes. Those upper level concepts and rigorous studies will always be available to high school students, but if we continue to ignore the basic skills needed to survive in every day life, we are setting up our kids for failure.

We still need people who have alternative skills in the technical fields such as auto mechanics, electrical, electronics etc.... Students have alternative options other than college where they can earn just as much and sometimes more than college graduates. Politicians and school districts need to start recognizing that, and stop developing curriculum's that are geared for only one path of success.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

HanzHenry

Are there NO REAL MEN in that crowd? "hey, keep your hands off him!"

BADGES are R E D C O A T S

And then you would be in jail. The guy says in the video he doesn't live there that he moved his family elsewhere. So why is he there?

edit on 22-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Full-fledged universities are a joke. They have become basically nothing more than expensive babysitting services. A good majority of the jobs on the market can easily be filled by the courses taught at a community college.

reply to post by buster2010

I will add, that there are some college degrees that are clearly a waste of time and money and only result in dead-end careers. I also think all colleges should be required to transfer all credits from any accredited college or university. It's nothing but a way to force students who are transferring from another college to spend additional money on courses they don't need, and increase revenue for the college or university. Colleges have become nothing but big businesses who have done nothing to reign in outrageous student tuition and living costs. At the same time they continue to construct new multi-million dollar buildings, apartments and call their alumni for donations.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
what I really like about this video is how the "officer" walks up to him and gets in his face - very civilized. I like how the ignorant badge carrying thug gives him the "I'm da man, you the pussy biatch" look. This is what is has come to, hiring a guy who acts like he got tough by "keeping in real in the streets" is assigned the job of ARRESTING a parent? Arresting? Be passionate about your kids, but just not near a thug.

I have no idea what went on here, I can't imagine the father, a FATHER, was some sort of threat to these educational douche-bags but that little bit of officer intimidation is shocking. Why have the meeting at all? Why not just beat the hell out of anyone that does not agree? The presence of this ignorant post-prison enforcer says to me, "your kids are our kids, and this thug will make sure you know it."

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

WeRpeons

reply to post by buster2010

I will add, that there are some college degrees that are clearly a waste of time and money and only result in dead-end careers. I also think all colleges should be required to transfer all credits from any accredited college or university. It's nothing but a way to force students who are transferring from another college to spend additional money on courses they don't need, and increase revenue for the college or university. Colleges have become nothing but big businesses who have done nothing to reign in outrageous student tuition and living costs. At the same time they continue to construct new multi-million dollar buildings, apartments and call their alumni for donations.

Not to mention what I think is the biggest waste of money in the schools is the sports programs. Coaches are paid millions to teach something that only helps a extremely small percentage of students. College will be the next bubble.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

crankyoldman
what I really like about this video is how the "officer" walks up to him and gets in his face - very civilized. I like how the ignorant badge carrying thug gives him the "I'm da man, you the pussy biatch" look. This is what is has come to, hiring a guy who acts like he got tough by "keeping in real in the streets" is assigned the job of ARRESTING a parent? Arresting? Be passionate about your kids, but just not near a thug.

I have no idea what went on here, I can't imagine the father, a FATHER, was some sort of threat to these educational douche-bags but that little bit of officer intimidation is shocking. Why have the meeting at all? Why not just beat the hell out of anyone that does not agree? The presence of this ignorant post-prison enforcer says to me, "your kids are our kids, and this thug will make sure you know it."

Had you been really paying attention the first part of the video was cut off. So before labeling someone a thug ask yourself what started all of it? We don't know because the video isn't complete.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

buster2010

crankyoldman

Had you been really paying attention the first part of the video was cut off. So before labeling someone a thug ask yourself what started all of it? We don't know because the video isn't complete.

Seriously? I didn't think that the off-duty cop was going to be defended at all here but, here's your shovel, start digging.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join