It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook "Mass identity suicide": 11 million users from US and UK delete their accounts!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Eleven million Facebook users in the US and the UK have deleted their Facebook accounts in view of recent NSA spy program revelations. The increasing number of users who delete their accounts due to privacy concerns and fear of internet addiction, are dubbed as committing "virtual identity suicide."

Approximately 9 million Facebook users in the US and 2 million people in the UK have deleted their accounts from the social network, the Daily Mail reports.
“People are becoming more cautious about privacy in hyperspace – this is mostly due to the recent NSA spy program disclosures," said Brenda Wiederhold, editor of the Cyberpsychology, Behaviour and Social Networking magazine

people becoming self aware and becoming smart!!
Will you also delete your facebook account?

Read More
Source : voiceofrussia.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk... .html
edit on 18-9-2013 by cheesy because: Giving Link source

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Unfortunately, Facebook still owns all your data.

No, Facebook Still Owns Your Posts

edit on 18-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Never signed up on FB.
I expect that flags me as a terrorist.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

of course, because our data already on them since we create Acount .. but if we turn now they can not track us again..
*dont mean to be a troll on facebook..just giving sugestion

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
With the exception of my PC I have never used any form of social media or electronics.
I have never owned a pager.
I have never had a cellphone.
I have never had a sat-phone.
I have never had a Bluetooth.
I have never had an iAnything.
I have never had a Blackberry.
I have never had a Galaxynote.
I have never had an e-reader.
I will NEVER use Google Glass.
I have never used Twitter, Zynga, Facebook, Google or any similar medium.
I never perform financial transactions over the internet.
I don't use Bitcoin or any other form of digital currency.
I am not shrewd...just ancient.
If not using FB makes someone a terrorist, then that would make me public enemy #1.

-Peace be with you-

edit on 18-9-2013 by Eryiedes because: (no reason given)

+40 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I am keeping my FB account - and to be blunt - I don't really care that the NSA now know I was mountaineering last weekend - what I want to stay private - goes on off line

people who complain about " face book privacy " - should remember that posting is optional and at the users discression - and some people post far too much information

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I just deactivated my facebook. Make it 2million and 1 UK users...
edit on 18-9-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I signed up for facebook to play a game at my daughter's request. I was careful not to reveal anything that can't be found easily, name, place of birth and current location.

I am amazed at a few people who continue to post their political rants on fb. I removed my 'like' of Ron Paul last year because of the NSA concern and only post an occasional reply or like to family and dance friends. I keep the account to play my one game even though I play on the game site I must have a fb account to do so.

Really interesting how many people have dropped out...good on them.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Me too mine went when I first heard the news , I know they have other ways , but it's was a form of protest and these punks need a few lessons in people power.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Great news. Alas, at nearly a billion users, Facebook itself still has a long way to go before it commits its own involuntary 'identity suicide.'

I deleted my own account long ago when I could no longer see the point of having it. I'm glad I did.
edit on 18-9-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I will not be deleting my facebook. I don't have a ridiculous amount of friends on it, and I truly use it to keep in touch, and follow the lives of the people important to us in our lives. I don't use a CC to play the stupid games, I don't add people I don't know - and I DO NOT share anything on there I wouldn't be happy telling someone in person.
I don't see why so many people think they are so much better than those that have a Facebook acc. Who cares - if you're online at all, they can basically get what they need from you if you purchase something, or have an email acc. I hold off on talking about things that I think are super personal until I can see my good friends in private over a few drinks, I don't share what I would not like public on Facebook, email or sms.

+37 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Without Facebook, so many sad people would have to phone 20 people every morning just to tell them that they had oatmeal for breakfast.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Anyone who thinks that they can "hide" these days by simply
deleting their FB account, is, at best, seriously mistaken.
With all of the facial/ voice recognition software, and cameras
and point of sale devices being internet connected, Good luck to you.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

EllaMarina
Without Facebook, so many sad people would have to phone 20 people every morning just to tell them that they had oatmeal for breakfast.

like !!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Ok , but how have you protested the PRISM intrusion in to everyone's life , have you had a reaction to it?
Or do you see it as being ok?

www.aclu.org...
Worth listening too.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Pinkorchid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Pinkorchid
reply to post by bkaust

Ok , but how have you protested the PRISM intrusion in to everyone's life , have you had a reaction to it?
Or do you see it as being ok?

www.aclu.org...
Worth listening too.

I don't know why this was directed at only me, when several others have the same viewpoint - but no, I have not, and I don't really have an opinion on it, being that I have not looked into it whatsoever. I'm not big on debates, so maybe just cut and paste the above to the next person in line with a similar opinion to mine.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I couldn't give a damn if they DO watch my every move online.
I use FB. And Im proud to say that I have provoked alot of thought in some people over FB.

So what if the NSA doesn't agree with my political views. I dont care.

I was put on the 'Terrorist Watch List' well before I ever joined FB or even ATS.
And how is ATS any different than FB? I dont use my real name on here or on there. And as another pointed out, posting is optional. Do any of you on here really think that they don't know who you are just because you use a 'handle' on here. They know and have a full profile on you.

And as another poster said, the things I want to keep private dont happen online.

I am fully aware that everything I post online (no matter the site) is scrutinized.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
"What does it matter if I don't do anything wrong? It doesn't and can't possibly effect me!"

Comes the mating cry of the puppet theatre. I'll tell you why...

www.priv.gc.ca...

www.lawpro.ca...

www.successtrackesq.com...

www.metrocorpcounsel.com...

www.mlslawyers.com...

THAT'S why but I'm certain you'll never read most of it and just dismiss the parts you do read anyway.
Just don't say you were never warned.

-Peace be with you-

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
If you're using the net, then all the major spy agencies have most of your details already. Not to mention all your home and mobile phone history. The data sweeping and filtering started back in the 90's. I cant believe so many people have been naive or ignorant to this.
Unless you're in to some seriously bad sh.t, then I wouldn't be too worried about it. I don't buy in to the idea that black lists exist full of people who visit sites like these - that kind of paranoia will really mess with you.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Chickensalad

You seem to be missing the point it is a public protested about issues of privacy , of course we know what they can do , it will probably if it gets going be one of the first online demonstrations of public opinion.
These things, as we have seen with the mass objection to War on Syria, has an effect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join