It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Significant Inaccuracies Found in Terrorism Stats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Uh Oh! Tell me it ain't so! The very stats they use to justify the Police State slowly being erected around us in framework, if not action........is based on lies? Well.. Can we call them lies?? You tell me, ATS. Indeed..... You tell me by the end of reading this.

A government audit of the Justice Department's terrorism-related statistics revealed that all were inaccurately reported, and most were significantly inflated.

Five years ago, the Office of the Inspector General found problems with the Justice Department's reporting of terrorism-related statistics and advised it to revise its internal controls.

This year's follow-up audit was intended to determine if the Department's corrective actions improved the accuracy of its statistics.

Ahhh.... but they had a follow-up audit this year. Surely, that showed happy news and good improvement, right? Errr.... Hellooo?

But, instead of improvement, the audit found that the Department "inaccurately reported all 11 statistics we reviewed during this follow-up audit. Most of these 11 statistics were inaccurately reported by significant margins."

For example, the statistic reporting the number of terrorism-related defendants judged guilty in 2009 was inflated 13 percent, and 26 percent in 2010. The number of terrorism-related defendants sentenced to prison in 2010 was overstated by 19 percent.

Okay, so they actually mean to say.....and they aren't kidding mind you.....that even when cooking the books, by this much? They can't manage to be subtle enough to get away with it or strong enough to shut anyone up about reporting it to God and everyone. Pictures of small children with dangerous things like knives and guns come to mind sometimes when thinking of Government.

In the U.S. Attorney's 2012 budget submission to Congress, the Justice Department reported that 168 defendants were sentenced to prison for terrorism-related crimes in 2010. But in a review of 56 of these cases, auditors found that one defendant was sentenced in 2007, and eight were sentenced in 2009.
Source: Courthouse News

Now, in reading the article, you'll find a nice couple paragraphs worth of song and dance by the responsible parties, trying to shift blame and throw a happy face on a pile of goo. However, I'd just ask we all keep in mind..this WAS the follow-up to see if PREVIOUS promises of 'we'll do better' would get anywhere ...and this is where they found it had gotten even worse.

I guess when they say their NSA nonsense has stopped xxx terrorists, we have good reason to laugh at the idea they speak any truth in those words.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Terrorism is the new(ish) buzzword, and the money involved in countering it is vast. Where there is no threat, the public must be made to believe there is one, in order to justify the massive expense of keeping us all safe from the shady, often undefined bogeymen.

As an example, I used to attend some of the ASIS annual security expo's and conferences. Pre 9/11, the main focus was on the usual crimes affecting businesses and the corporate world, such as Kidnap and ransom of staff, fraud and investigation, access control of buildings and CCTV etc. Post 9/11, the focus suddenly shifted and went full tilt boogy into "anti-terrorism" mode, with keynote speakers from the FBI, CIA, MI5, Special Branch, the military etc. Now, 99% of the attendees at such events will never see or suffer the effects of terrorism or terrorist related acts against their staff or properties, but everyone started using all the new buzzwords and phrases and lapping it up like we are all under some imminent threat. It grew into a whole new industry and now it seems like 50% of all talks at such events are terrorism related. Yet, in the real world, where is all this terrorism, outside of the FBI setting up patsies to arrest?

The Woolwich attack, a simple street murder by a disgruntled individual (likely that MI5 were in that up to their necks and had the guy picked up and tortured, thus responsible for the reciprocal action) I'd hardly count as terrorism. It didn't change anything and I didn't see any terrorised people!

People are making a mint out of the fear, and the government is using it to bring in ever more legislation to curb free speech and bring justify mass surveillance, but I still don't know anyone who is terrorised!

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
SHHHHH! Silly Wrabbit, facts are for schmucks. The government craves our fear just as much as we do, no matter how much of a lie is built to generate it.

I've been telling this to people for a few years. I think a similar report came out in 2007 or 2008. Nobody believed me, or the articles then, go freakin' figure. We have to have something to be fearful of in this country.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

SHHHHH! Silly Wrabbit, facts are for schmucks. The government craves our fear just as much as we do, no matter how much of a lie is built to generate it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
S&F/// It makes me sick as an American when I read or find out the falsehoods and numerical lies use to push some government program... And they wonder why "trust in government" is at an all time low....?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

And they wonder why "trust in government" is at an all time low....?

Frankly, I wonder where the concept of "trust in government" came from. It is not in our tradition and to hear people refer to it as normal is distressing and dangerous.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Aren't statistics, in and of themselves, just a fancy word for "the lies our government tells us"?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

gladtobehere
You mean, its safe to go outside?

Taking these figures into account, a rough calculation suggests that in the last five years, your chances of being killed by a terrorist are about one in 20 million.

edit on 17-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

You had a better chance of winning the $400M Powerball when you didn't purchase a ticket than of a terrorist killing you.

But let us not quibble over facts, there are profits to be made by the prophets of doom.

First it was the Red Scare, now it is the terrorist scare.

Same poo sandwhich, just a different loaf of bread used.

Derek

top topics

join