It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greendays new song American idiot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What do you guys think of this song
Don't wanna be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation under the new mania.
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind# America.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alienation.
Everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
For that's enough to argue.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia.

Don't wanna be an American idiot.
One nation controlled by the media.
Information age of hysteria.
It's calling out to idiot America.

Should they be fined for this? even though its freedom of speech

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Short answer to your [odd] question. No

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
That song pretty much sums it up.

Why should he be fined?

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Freedom of Speech!!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Transmission Deployment

Its a good song.

Think back to the "Sex Pistols" and many Punk bands. All released songs that upset someone but they were good.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Transmission Deployment

Of course not! This song is perfect example of what the founding fathers were protecting when they drafted the Constitution. The ability of citizens to voice political and social dissent is precisely what our "freedom of speech" is meant for.
Anyone who would even consider banning such lyrics, or punishing their author is extremely suspect in my view, and a danger to American freedom

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Isnt it just a song.................if you dont like it dont listen to it !!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Seems quite obvious that this song is nothing new. The 'flava', the wording, the lyrics may be different, its quite apparent that no one remembers such type songs from the Vietnam Era?

Nothing new at all....

seekerof

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mindwalker
Isnt it just a song.................if you dont like it dont listen to it !!!!!!!

Just a song? A song wouldn't be anything if it had no meaning. The words flowed from someone which gives it meaning.

This by no means is the first song that would offend any americans. There are plenty of songs just as this only people seem to recognize them more now than ever.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Green Day sucks, sorry to say. Sure, Dookie was great, but Warning wasn't worth the coaster it became.

Sure, the song may have some meaning, but that's not why green Day made it. They want the money, and the easiest way to do that is to play in to people's emotions and become controversial.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Green Day sucks, sorry to say. Sure, Dookie was great, but Warning wasn't worth the coaster it became.

Sure, the song may have some meaning, but that's not why green Day made it. They want the money, and the easiest way to do that is to play in to people's emotions and become controversial.

Perhaps, but you could say that about any musician,author, poet or media outlet that makes money from their creations. I would tend to disagree with you in this case. Since Green Day has always been relatively anti-establishment, I imagine that this is a topic they would have written about even if they werent getting paid to do it.

[edit on 13-11-2004 by apw100]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
lol..............................

Its funny how just a song pisses u off. who cares. I must say it has a little of reality about the media and subliminal things but i dont like the swearing at american people.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think the lyrics are on target in the song. I don't really feel controversy in the song, I just see fact. Truth is that the USA is a media controlled nation. The majority of its people are influenced by media, just take a look around and its in front of you. Many people don't have the ability to see through it all. The media does turn us into a bunch of followers. A bunch of sheep that are led to believe everything that is put in front of them. If the media tells you its true it must be true right? All of those stories you read in your history books in school must be accurate right? Well I'm glad to know that there are sites (like this one) with people that don't have the wool pulled over their eyes.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
I think the lyrics are on target in the song. I don't really feel controversy in the song, I just see fact. Truth is that the USA is a media controlled nation. The majority of its people are influenced by media, just take a look around and its in front of you. Many people don't have the ability to see through it all. The media does turn us into a bunch of followers. A bunch of sheep that are led to believe everything that is put in front of them. If the media tells you its true it must be true right? All of those stories you read in your history books in school must be accurate right? Well I'm glad to know that there are sites (like this one) with people that don't have the wool pulled over their eyes.

you are aware that the song in question is a form of media itself...right? so is ATS...

[edit on 13-11-2004 by Creepy]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I don�t think there�s much controversy to it like someone said its all been done before. Is there any truth in it? To some extent maybe. After all it was the Americans that bought the world Bumfight.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I like the song, though it defeated its purpose by being on the mind of every brainwashed teenager who don't understand it but like it because it says America." I am not lying here, I asked one of my friends if he understood that it was bashing at the brianwashed masses, of which he is part of, and he says that he doesn't, but "likes the part where they say america."

[edit on 27-8-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I like the song, and the only people who would want it censored are the very "American Idiots" the song is referring to.

Are you an "American Idiot?"

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
No, they shouldn't be fined. They should be slapped for saying that the media sends you subliminal messages and controls your life..... soon thereafter, they appearded on the cover of AP magazine.

the "idiots" theyre talking about are their fans who bought this stupid magazine, and this equally stupid record. Now, all bands will go for publicity, hell, I'd go on the cover of AP if I could. If I ever do, I should be slapped too.

they were also a part of one of MTV's totally random campaigns. When I think of subliminal message mind controlling media, MTV is the first thing that comes to mind.

Good job guys, rebel against the media- but catch us tonight at 7pm Eastern Time on MTV: the coolest thing ever!

Green Day- you were once so unwired, now you're another soundbyte.

[edit on 11-13-04 by Scat]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
Green Day- you were once so unwired, now you're another soundbyte.

[edit on 11-13-04 by Scat]

I'm sure when the members of "Green Day" are surfing these forums, and come upon your post, they will be driven to suicide.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I hate that song. Seriously... it drives me crazy. To me it seems like it's doing the exact same thing it preaches not to fall for.

But the rest of the CD however... rocks pretty harcore. I can overlook one song that I don't nescessarily like for the rest of it. Another song of theirs to look out for thats political on this new cd is "Holiday"

Holiday

Hear the sound of the falling rain
Coming down like an armageddon plague (HEY!)
The shame, the ones who die without a name

There's a song sounding out of key
To a hymn called faith and misery (Hey!)
A plead, the company lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
On holiday

There's a drum pounding out of time
Another protestor has crossed the line (HEY!)
The line, the money's on the other side

Can I get another amen (AMEN!)
There's a rag wrapped around the score of men (HEY!)
A gag, A plastic bag on a monument

On holiday

"The representative from California has the floor"

Seek out to the president gasbag
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel tower
And criticize the government
Bang bang goes the broken glass man
Kill all the fags that don't agree
Triumph by fires, sinning buyers
Thats not a way that's meant for me
Thank god, check out we're going on a holiday

This is our lives on holiday

I wasn't even gonna buy the CD, but then I heard some of it and its pretty sweet. If you get easily offende dby political stuff though, I'd advise agaisnt it. Not all of the songs are as heavy as American Idiot or Holiday (which in my opinion isn't THAT heavy, just threw it in there for the hell of it), anybody who's a Greenday fan should own this, and like was already pointed out, it's nothing new.

[edit on 27-8-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join