It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recycling madness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yesterday I took a 30 year old aluminum ladder to be recycled. It very quickly got crazy. First they wanted to see my ID. Next the scanned the ID. Then they took my truck’s make, model and license. I thought that this was overkill but what happened next I still do not believe. They took my thumb print. And all this was for $3.30 worth of aluminum. What madness is this world coming to? Where are all these new laws coming from?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by remembering

Unbelievable!

This is a symptom of the nanny/eco/police state and the goal is probably to track down dead-beat dads or some such nonsense.

First of all, just walk away when you are asked to provide ID for just about anything.

Second of all, you should go to your town hall and demand the removal of everyone involved with the passage of this unreasonable invasion of privacy (aka regulation).

Third, if you get no satisfaction, you should consider leaving the town or state which will probably be economically beneficial considering how far down the tubes your community has fallen.

This is usually a vote with your feet situation once it gets that bad.
edit on 7-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Wow, that's some seriously twistered #. What on earth made you carry on with the transaction? I'd of left the ladders and walked off from the charade.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I know for a fact that its been like that for a while- not sure how long- but I helped my roomate recycle some copper(about two years ago). They did the same thing-I live in Nevada btw. Im not sure if they took his thumb print and dont think they took his car make and model- but they wanted his ID and took his picture.

A lot of it stems from people stealing copper from commercial buildings and abandoned homes.

I still dont think its right- but thats how it has been for a while. it is indeed non-sesnse.
edit on 7-9-2013 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

"sanity" indeed,
you've allowed them to take your fingerprint for a measly $3.30?
[hopefully you had the presence of mind to smear the print, making it useless ]

but pay me no mind, as I Am quite "Insane".

that said it's partly about THEM not permitting ANY kind of financial transaction going unrecorded

or untaxed.

even more insidious, it's also yet another salvo fired against the poor and homeless in general and junkies in particular, and will simply result in more burglaries, smash and grabs, etc. as the above have been arbitrarily stripped of an honorable means of making ends meet. next it'll be illegal to wash somebody's car anywhere other than a duly registered [with city hall] carwash

were you paid with a check, btw?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Don't recycle it then, dispose of it some other way.
I assume there is no law forcing you to use that particular service?

You chose to provide your thumb print whereas I would have chosen to walk away.
The more people who accept such things then the more we will see becoming a normal part of transactions.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the response all. Got cash not a check. Yes I did smear the thumb print. I thought about just walking out but I also wanted to see how far this madness was going to go. The did say that they needed to do it due the theft and recycle metals. I never heard that there was a problem with aluminum, but it seems that they threw that in with all the rest.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Sadly stealing and selling metals to recycle has become a big way to make quick cash for drugs etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Because of the high poverty and unemployment rates, materials are being stripped from buildings and construction areas by thieves.

The crap you were put through seems like a result of a result of a result of a result, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
People are stealing manhole covers, aluminum bleacher seats, air conditioners, power cables etc.... Anything that has recycle value. People go on vacation and come back to find their house has been stripped.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

So if the police show up asking about the whereabouts of a 30 year old aluminum ladder that was stolen from the some guy down the street they know who to ask next.

It seems like a lot of hassle...well, it is a lot of hassle. That's the reason though. I've seen everything from copper roofing being stolen, copper pipes being stolen and even copper telephone wire being stolen from neighborhoods. Imagine that, waking up to your whole neighborhood being without cable, phone and internet.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Blimmey! It cost them more to 'process' you than the ladders were worth!

Rainbows
Jane

top topics

join