It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep impact comet observer breaksdown imaging ison

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
www.universetoday.com...-104511
Well well well,the spacecraft known as Deep Impact mysteriousy goes wrong trying to image ison."we did not get the observations we expected" says the lead scientists.
I don't know about you but this comet is starting to unsettle me.
So, just a coincidence? or are they hiding something?

edit on 4-9-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: changed word

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It's common to jam sensors before a sortie,so I guess it might no be a comet.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Well well well,the spacecraft known as Deep Impact mysteriousy goes wrong trying to image ison."we did not get the observations we expected" says the lead scientists.

Looks like the mystery is solved...

After considerable effort, the team on August 30 determined the cause of the problem. The team is now trying to determine how best to try to recover communication.

www.universetoday.com...

Maybe you'll get to see them after all...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

It is a little strange that so many highly anticipated missions fail, and they seem to fail for the lamest reasons. I recall that Mars mission that failed because they used two different sets of specs. I mean, come on!

I was looking forward to these pics. We don't get much news from space.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
the most intriguing thing for me is:

EPOXI took images of Comet ISON on January 17, 2013, showing that the comet’s brightness varied on a timescale of hours

also, if they know the trajectory...then it should be fine...right

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

What a vague quote"we did not get our expected observations" what did they get? Where is ison?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Hey, I wonder if that software an ATS'er brought to our attention could scan this photo and allow us to see whats there. Unfortunately i can't find the post but it was recently posted. He had taken a photo from NASA that was blurred out ( for our protection lol) and actually decoded the blur enough for us to see what they were hiding. Or enough for us to make it out. I can't remember.

I would think there would be software that could sense the camera not being able to focus and so you have all the huge pixels surrounding " said object ". I would think the software could fill in the blanks so-2-speak.

Between our Government going against the majority of the people on every important issue, pot, war, same sex marriage, and people constantly covering up information, people constantly putting hoax's out there... I can see why we're paranoid!!!

S&F

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Not sure but I think This is the thread you are referring to.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Where is ison?

Here you go...

theskylive.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

Where is ison?

Here you go...

theskylive.com...

hey thanks,ison doesnt seem to have a tail,and its closer to the sun than earth.
Neat link now bookmarked.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Allright then....that does it....sumthins up..
Here it comes, what ever it is.....right on time for the way things are going...globally, huh!!

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

Where is ison?

Here you go...

theskylive.com...

hey thanks,ison doesnt seem to have a tail,and its closer to the sun than earth.
Neat link now bookmarked.

You might want to go back and check the link again. C/2012 S1 (ISON) is just over 315 million km away from the sun right now. That places it out side the orbit of Mars by 100 million km.

The Earth averages just over 150 million km from the sun.

So no, it is certainly NOT closer to the sun that the Earth is right now. Give it some time however, as it's orbit will carry less than 1 million miles from the sun's surface.
edit on 4-9-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Maybe he meant that C/2012 S1 is currently closer to the Sun than it is to Earth.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Maybe he meant that C/2012 S1 is currently closer to the Sun than it is to Earth.

Maybe....but considering the comment about the tail, I'm pretty sure he's making a mistake and thinking it's closer to the sun THAN the Earth (which of course it's not) and should have a nice long tail right now.

But maybe you're right........

Doubt it. But maybe.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

"Should have".
Yeah, well. So far the track record on the early prediction of new comets' performance really hasn't been too good.

Yet, in spite of the unpredictability of the show, the orbital calculations continue to be accurate.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Let's not get dragged into another "OMG! this comet is an alien spacecraft" or "NASA is hiding the fact that it is heading straight for Earth" conspiracy thread. C/2012 S1 ISON is a normal comet, and it's orbit has been accurately calculated. There is no conspiracy here.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
Let's not get dragged into another "OMG! this comet is an alien spacecraft" or "NASA is hiding the fact that it is heading straight for Earth" conspiracy thread. C/2012 S1 ISON is a normal comet, and it's orbit has been accurately calculated. There is no conspiracy here.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

Killjoy.

If people want to think a comet is some kind of spacecraft, what difference does that make to your life?

It's not compulsory to read every thread you know!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Looks a lot like what they did was..buy themselves some time. For what?
Ofcourse not likely a craft, but should we be concerned for other reasons? Again probably not.
I'm sure if this comet was a threat everyone's safety would be priority one, and instead of reading about Syria the headlines would read...

Thx for the post op!
edit on 5-9-2013 by wutz4tom because: typo

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Maybe.

For clarity, here is the location of C/2012 S1 in the solar system as of today (September 5, 2013):

As these diagrams show:

- Comet C/2012 S1 is closer to Mars right now than the comet is to Earth.
- Comet C/2012 S1 is closer to the Sun right now than the comet is to Earth.
- However, Comet C/2012 S1 is FARTHER from the Sun right now than Earth is to the Sun.

Source
Note: viewing the diagram in the link requires the installation of a java applet

edit on 9/5/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

After ISON passes - I'll bet the spacecraft problem mysteriously gets fixed!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join