It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel claims joint US missile launch in Mediterranean for 'target practice'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Russia’s early warning radars detected the launch of two ballistic rockets in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, Russia’s Defense Ministry stated. Israel later claimed responsibility for firing the target test rockets.

RT's LIVE UPDATES on Syrian 'chemical weapons' crisis

The launch took place at 06:16 GMT Tuesday, according to Russia's Ministry of Defense.

The trajectory of the missiles is reported to have been from the central part of the Mediterranean Sea towards the eastern landmass. Both rockets have allegedly fallen into the sea, RIA Novosti news agency reported.

Russia’s President Putin has already been informed about the incident by Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu.

The Syrian embassy in Moscow currently has no information on the incident.

There were no rocket attack signals or blasts in Damascus, the Russian embassy in Syria noted.

Syria’s missile warning system has not detected any rockets landing on their territory, a Syrian security source told Lebanese channel al-Manar TV.

Initially, the Israeli military apparently had no data on the launch either. However, later Israel claimed a joint missile launch with the US in the Mediterranean Sea. Israeli authorities pointed out that they tested an “anchor” target missile used to check how well the anti-missile system known as "Arrow-2" functions.

US Navy Forces haven’t fired any missiles from vessels deployed in the Mediterranean, according to a spokesman.

The UK has stressed that they “have nothing to do" with the launch.

A NATO spokesman said the alliance was trying to verify the reports. Until then, the bloc will not comment on the incident.

Armavir, an early warning system against missile attack, is situated in southern Russia. It is run by the Russian Aerospace Defense Forces. They provide radar coverage of the Middle East. There are two radars there, with one of them facing southwest and the other southeast.

rt.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
i knew Israel would be involved.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
can't they wait firing their fireworks till new years eve?!

damn kids!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Why does America waste time doing joint ops with Israel? When has Israel helped America during combat? When America invaded Iraq for Israel where was Israel? Hiding at home. And Israel lying in the article is no surprise when does Israel tell the truth.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

Target practice?

More like lighting up the defensive radars(and listening to communications related to it) in the area to prepare for the strike that is coming soon.

Since when do we launch missiles from the Med without any announcement?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

it seems to me Israel are trying to provoke a clash with Russia and the u.s,launching icbms fake or not and sending Russias early warning system crazy could have been catastrophic for the U.S
edit on 3-9-2013 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

You're all wrong IMHO

Israel was flexing and showing Syria that the arrow (Hetz in Hebrew)
Is a viable weapon against ballistic missiles

It seems like a sensible precaution to me. And the reason we took 40 missiles in the gulf war without
reacting was to keep the arabic states in the coalition without csusing disharmony

Personally I'd have loved to wade in take out those that were trying to kill my kids.
But we were told to disembark at the last minute.

But then it's easy to judge when you don't have the facts and are safely behind you're keyboard
Isn't it ?

Cody

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Okay... What's the deal here??

Israeli Defense ministry: 'The Israeli Defense ministry conducted today with the US a successful launch of a test Ancor missile. This tested the ability of the Arrow anti missile system. At the command center there were representatives of the Israeli defense ministry along with US department of Defense' - statement via @NBCNews
Source

On the SAME page of news is a statement that NO US people or forces were in any way involved?

They need to get their lies straight, at the very least. It's not just rude, this is embarrassing. They try and start a war by pure stupidity on a test (IF That's what this was) and then it's the 3 stooges for who knew, did or said what!?

These buffoons want taken seriously? On ANYTHING? They've gotta be kidding.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

You're all wrong IMHO

Israel was flexing and showing Syria that the arrow (Hetz in Hebrew)
Is a viable weapon against ballistic missiles

It seems like a sensible precaution to me. And the reason we took 40 missiles in the gulf war without
reacting was to keep the arabic states in the coalition without csusing disharmony

Personally I'd have loved to wade in take out those that were trying to kill my kids.
But we were told to disembark at the last minute.

But then it's easy to judge when you don't have the facts and are safely behind you're keyboard
Isn't it ?

Cody

I believe that it is prudent for Israel to test it's antimissile system, especially in view of the current situation.

I also believe that it would have been prudent for us to give everyone in the Middle East (and the Chinese and Russians) warning that a test was about to take place.

Do you think that we just forgot to give any warning about a test that we not only knew was going to occur, but also participated in?
If we did forget, then some heads need to roll in the US military and the White House, as it was criminally stupid to do so.
I think it was more than a test of just the missile system.
Either way, it is a very dangerous game that they are playing.... risking a nuclear launch on us.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

launching ICBMs near Syria,and triggering Russia's early warning systems is pure dumbness.if it had been the U.S early warning system sent into chaos the u.s would be trying to sanction Russia right about now.this double standards # needs to stop the u.s was only crying a few months back about about NK testing its icbms.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

was it necessary to launch them in the med and towards Syria,they could have launched them,in u.s waters,israel want to start ww3 every single time things start to calm down the damn Zionists add fuel to the fire.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
yeah, extremely poor judgement to be carrying out missile tests in that particular area at this particular time.if this was a pre-planned test it should have been canceled It`s this kind of poor judgement that makes people skeptical when the government starts talking about "limited" attacks on another country.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
reply to post by butcherguy

was it necessary to launch them in the med and towards Syria,they could have launched them,in u.s waters,israel want to start ww3 every single time things start to calm down the damn Zionists add fuel to the fire.

I think it was a STUPID and RISKY thing to do, that is certain.

I don't think that it was only a test of the system, I think it was to feel out early warning systems, monitor communications systems connected with them and Syrian missile defense reaction. That is the only reason that I can think of to do it without announcing it.

I do not believe it was a case of 'OOPS, we forgot to tell anyone that we are doing a missile test in an area where everyone is on edge'.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What if these ICBMs were actually the first shot that was aborted just in the nick of time?
can you imagine what happened behind the scenes?

The other theory would be for them to test Russia's radar tracking capabilities, which is highly doubt.

Amazing how quickly all this got out in the news hey?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Its probably been said already. I mentioned in some other threads. This was an attempt to provoke Syria. If Syria had responded then Israel would have been justified in responding and it would have brought the US in faster. Why test an anti missile system, meant to take down high speed targets, on an anchored target? Why do a test in a high tension area and direct the test towards a country expecting an attack? Why not give a heads up it was a test? Why does Israel say its a joint test (after initially denying it completely) while the US says it wasn't?

Yeah.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

the OP report tells us that the target missiles were not launched from any USA ship stationed off the Syrian coast

so... either the Israeli's launched the target missiles from one of their bombers or had a ship in the western mediterranian sea shoot the rockets eastward to their anti-missile defenses in Israel...

which leaves the question.. just how 'joint' was this test between the USA & Israel...
sounds like the 'joint exercise' was only that the Israelis notified the US fleet that an unarmed target drone would be soaring overhead...~don't shoot it down or think your being attacked~ was the joint collaboration

the USA was unduly trusting in my view.... they forgot the USS Liberty huh... sure could have been another false-flag attack being staged on an unsuspecting USA naval fleet
edit on 3-9-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
They do these things every so often for training and to fine tune the equipment.
I'm sure the extra bonus doing it this time was to remind people that they are well armed
and not to let their civil war spill across the border.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I agree this is just another form of gathering Intel. I imagine a live unannounced test would provide some real Intel.

Sure it was stupid, but I do not think the U.S. is too worried.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Firstly arrow is not sn ICBM it's a ground to air missile

Secondly if you had reason to believe your neighbour may
attack you you'd make sure your weapons were in working order

But you wouldn't go blatting off rounds without letting
the sherrif know would you ?

The sherrif would inform those that need to know as well.

Same thing different scale

Cody
edit on 3/9/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Maybe this was an attempted false flag.

It failed and now they call it a 'test'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join