It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Obama to deliver statement on Syria at 1:15 PM ET 8/31/2013 Watch it Live Link

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Pres. Obama seems to be interested in only making a statement about American and international resolve regarding human rights and punishing rogue dictators.

There is no economic reason to attack Syria, especially since its petroleum production is negligible. In fact, since the revolution began, Syria has limited pumping to its fifty thousand barrel a day consumption, restricting its oil exports all together. The only reason that the announcement of a possible US attack caused petroleum prices to spike last week, was due to speculation that intervention could quickly spread to Israel and beyond, threatening the oil supply.

The fear is that Assad would attack the US ally, Israel and then the response from there might be thermonuclear. The Israelis have 500 pound and 1000 pound tactical nucs that can be dropped from jet fighters.

I'm not religious, but there is a passage from the bible for the latter days, which mentions a great war in the Middle East as part of the so-called end times devastation. In it, the passage basically states that Syria will attack Israel and that the Israeli retaliation will turn Damascus into a "cinder". I would say that is a limited nuclear attack.

Sort of interesting stuff, even for someone who finds it mostly ancient gibberish.

If things do go awry like this, expect oil prices to double around the world. Its time to dig up the food supply, guns and cash you've been storing for such an emergency. If not, you can always kill your neighbor for that last can of tuna.

edit on 31-8-2013 by g2v12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astrocyte
reply to post by Bigburgh

That would likely never happen.

The US is merely enforcing international law.
The US is a mainstay on the security council.

If the UN security council ever sanctioned America (which has an extremely low probability of happening) it would also imply that the UN had become the stronghorse for the most un-democratic countries in the world: Russia and China.

What a sad and sorry state of affairs that would be.

After reading your comment, it almost seems that you actually believe that the U.N. is a useful, caring organization that is simply out to stop evildoers, or something.

Thank you, I had myself a hearty laugh.
edit on 8/31/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigburgh
Ask congress? Congress is on vacation! He did this before! Remember supreme court justice Sotamyor.

Bush did the same thing back in the day....this does not bode well for the good ol' US of A.........Wow, and we voted these people in office.......we need help as a country...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos

Originally posted by Astrocyte
reply to post by Bigburgh

That would likely never happen.

The US is merely enforcing international law.
The US is a mainstay on the security council.

If the UN security council ever sanctioned America (which has an extremely low probability of happening) it would also imply that the UN had become the stronghorse for the most un-democratic countries in the world: Russia and China.

What a sad and sorry state of affairs that would be.

After reading your comment, it almost seems that you actually believe that the U.N. is a useful, caring organization that is simply out to stop evildoers, or something. ( since I can't get the scroll to place right ) YEP THIS IS MY DAN QAYLE MOMENT

Thank you, I had myself a hearty laugh.
edit on 8/31/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigburgh
I use to support interventions and what not. But when I got wind of helping alqaeda in Libya. It didn't sit well and became agitated. Then learning that alqaeda ended up with top of the line U.S. made fire arms in Syria sank my stomach. I and the person next to me come from a long line of military families. My friend right here her father worked for ( for fear of being monitored ) see eye a. Retired. And her uncle who handled the Iranian hostage patients. Heck I'll say his name, Dr. General Fritz Plugge retired now deceased. On Wikipedia. Or Google. So we needless to were a bit blind and obedient. But even she's sick to her stomach on this one.

I don't know how bad Assad is. Only what MSM and what's in print tell me. A former Med student of ophthalmology turned dictator I don't know. Nothing feels right about this.
edit on 31-8-2013 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2013 by Bigburgh because: arrival typo

Here does this help. I'm pretty much saying I don't put much faith in anything at this time and place.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
prof. Chaos. Sorry I ruined you're edit. I was try to validate your hearty laugh but the edit tool would not allow me to place the cursor at the end. Thus writing over your quote. Sorry about that. But yes what I said was dumb.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
Congressional approval is almost guaranteed I think, there's a lot of money to be made and they are in the pockets of those who profit from war, just look what they get from lobbyists to get legislation passed, a lot of those lobbyists work for the defense industry.

It will probably be foisted on congress as a boost to the economy somehow too, and definitely a great distraction for the public at large to get busy watching it like a ball-game, waving banners and flags, and eating bread.

Bread and Media Circuses. Never underestimate the level of stupidity people are capable of sinking to. If you want to have faith in something, have faith that people will almost always do the wrong thing and forget about it in about eight minutes.

The only deals that have been struck Vis-a-Vis the aftermath, are between Putin and Assad in June, where Russia and China get to do the business of the clean-up, and as Obama has already said there will be "no boots on the ground" You also need to listen very carefully to Putin's last comments on international TV, where he makes it painfully simple that any missile battery belonging to Assad is already well known. This is the catch-penny and you get to bet your boots then that, (1) any missile launched by the US or whoever will have to know just exactly where to strike and, (2) hope that those missiles land in the right place, because it surely will not have been from where the missiles are currently coming from. It also is unlikely that the UN inspectors know where the missiles came from, even if they are chemical weapons. So, that is basically it. well there may be a few caveats, there are Chechens in the Syrian rebel forces, but supposedly controlled by the Saudis and possibly the only direct link then to the US being possibly already involved by proxy. This Syrian thing is a total mess and, there was not even not much reference by Obama to Carrey's Whitehouse speech yesterday.

edit on 31-8-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
One thing is certain,some religious nutjobs are trying to make the bible reality. A day is a thousand years and a thousand years is a day.
Its all in the planning.
Either that or the bible is real and the battle of megido is on the horizon.
Eeeether way the future dont look too promisong.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Someone in here said there is a prophecy that Syria bombs Israel and the whole middle east goes up but I cannot find anything like this anywhere. Only that Damascus in in ruins in the end and Israel will be attacked from the north in the final battle. Bible prophecy is cool regardless of ones religious (or non religious) preferences. There is a theory that John (who wrote revelations), was having hallucinations due to gasses from the earth streaming into the cave he was in when he saw these images. They are pretty interesting when you match them up with current scenes. In any case, I did want to mention that I can't find anything to match up with bible prophecy and Syria for whoever mentioned this.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

did want to mention that I can't find anything to match up with bible prophecy and Syria for whoever mentioned this

Some of my research so far on current events that I always like to line up with many Bibles-Scriptures

Damascus will be destroyed in one night. Isaiah 17:1

God enters World Events Earthquakes-Huge sea wave East coast from Eastern Mediterian from Turkey to south of Gaza upper Egypt Zachariah 9:1-14 + 11:12-13 and Ezekiel 19: 1-2

God is displeased with the current temple and some of Jerusalem people he will destroy it because of its corruption Matt 27:3-10 also Luke 9:28 is parallel with this event. Also the Dead Sea scrolls # 8 is in parallel with this also.

7 gates( or mountains) and only 136 miles from Syria to Jerusalem

End Game and the sound of The Trumpet= 7 years Tribulation. It will be interesting to see who Israel will sign the treaty with________? (antichrist) ?

Hope this helped
Trinity

edit on 31-8-2013 by trinityalways because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2013 by trinityalways because: ok im done sorry

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by trinityalways
Some of my research so far on current events that I always like to line up with many Bibles-Scriptures

End Game and the sound of The Trumpet= 7 years Tribulation. It will be interesting to see who Israel will sign the treaty with________? (antichrist) ?

Hope this helped
Trinity

edit on 31-8-2013 by trinityalways because: ok im done sorry

Tribulation? seven years? on ordinary folk who want none of this bull#. Yes, and I heard the sound of the trumpet tonight, in the MSM vaunted video. It sounded exactly like a trumpet being blown by an amateur, (you could get the same effect blowing down someone's flue pipe) the same sounds could also occur naturally. Enlarge on the Trumpet bit please.
edit on 31-8-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by g2v12
reply to post by starfoxxx

Pres. Obama seems to be interested in only making a statement about American and international resolve regarding human rights and punishing rogue dictators.

There is no economic reason to attack Syria, especially since its petroleum production is negligible. In fact, since the revolution began, Syria has limited pumping to its fifty thousand barrel a day consumption, restricting its oil exports all together. The only reason that the announcement of a possible US attack caused petroleum prices to spike last week, was due to speculation that intervention could quickly spread to Israel and beyond, threatening the oil supply.

The fear is that Assad would attack the US ally, Israel and then the response from there might be thermonuclear. The Israelis have 500 pound and 1000 pound tactical nucs that can be dropped from jet fighters.

I'm not religious, but there is a passage from the bible for the latter days, which mentions a great war in the Middle East as part of the so-called end times devastation. In it, the passage basically states that Syria will attack Israel and that the Israeli retaliation will turn Damascus into a "cinder". I would say that is a limited nuclear attack.

Sort of interesting stuff, even for someone who finds it mostly ancient gibberish.

If things do go awry like this, expect oil prices to double around the world. Its time to dig up the food supply, guns and cash you've been storing for such an emergency. If not, you can always kill your neighbor for that last can of tuna.

edit on 31-8-2013 by g2v12 because: (no reason given)

In that case there are plenty of stray cats around to keep my going for a few months at least!!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

In that case there are plenty of stray cats around to keep my going for a few months at least!!

Strays are the first thing to go in hard times like war, famine or general collapse. Notice all of the missing strays in the Syrian news casts? Haaaa, gotcha.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

This is how I see it.

There is the law: use of chemical weapons is illegal; and then there is what we tentatively term the "United Nations" - what most people regard as an ineffective failure, suffering the natural effects of filibustering and gerrymandering between disparate blocs of nations with different interests.

When you have such a situation, you have a stalemate. Syria has indeed broken international law; it's use of chemical weapons is a clear no no. So how come, if nations do not come to any agreement, can we all of a sudden determine that this is the moral course of action? 2 - 2 = 0. So long as there continues to be these blocs of nations with opposing interests, it'll be difficult to ever enforce international law in any constructive way.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

And where exactly did you read that? Umm, I'm speaking of the UN as an existing reality; so long as it exists, it'd be best that it's direction be dictated by democratic countries, and not China and Russia. That is all I meant.
edit on 31-8-2013 by Astrocyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

“He is in a win-win situation: the Senate is a slam-dunk, he is going to win, while Congress is more complicated because of the Republicans,” Escobar said. “If they say Yes, he’ll go ahead and become ‘Nobel prize winner-bomber President Barack Obama’. If Congress says no, he can always say ‘Look, I tried! But they don’t want me to bomb anybody!’ “But I don’t think the US Congress will refuse the opportunity once again to bomb a Middle Eastern country,” he added.

rt.com/news/syria-crisis-live-updates-047/

they think this is a game..what a f××lish people..

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
He sending mixed messages.He's gonna go to congress to get approval if the motion is defeated he can use it as ammo for mid-term elections.I was expecting him to make some sort of statement about the British Parliament voting down the entry of the Royal Army.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I just watched Obama`s statement of Syria.

It seems like he wants to attack Syria but knows a lot of people in America don`t want a war in Syria. So, clearly he has got nothing to cash the check he just wrote. I cannot say how much support he has in Congress for a war in Syria.
Funny part of this is that there is still zero evidence to point to which group in Syria, including the Syrian government, actually used chemical weapons. The American imperialist clearly see something in Syria they want really badly. They are willing to jump head first into a civil war, which the US created by funding foreign paramilitary groups, to get whatever it is they want so much.
I hope that Congress has the common sense to not give the president the power to use the military against Syria, but history has shown that if enough money is tossed at Congress they will do as they are told.
edit on 1-9-2013 by freedomwv because: grammar and spelling

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
September 11th is Bashar al - Assad's birthday. Wonder if he will spend the day gloating over what happened on U.S. soil or hunkered down in a bunker?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
If you want to know why we're about to go into Syria, just like we did with Iraq, take two minutes and watch:

If you can't watch the video, the summary:

1. Buddy up and grant loans from the IMF/World bank to 3rd world country

2. Demand payment

3. Send in "Jackals" to overthrow dictator via covert "civil war"

4. If the "Jackals" fail, send in assassins

5. If assassins/civil war fail send in the military

It's a tried and true way to control a country, and has been going on for decades. I pray that the pen stroke is mightier than the cannon with Syria.

edit on 1-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join