It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Out Prosperity Preachers (Like Joel Osteen)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The claim of prosperity preachers - God will make people rich or prosperous if they have enough faith. The Reality - the only ones getting rich or prosperous are the preachers themselves. They are getting rich off the poor people who spend what little money they have on the 'feel good' books and other things pumped out by the prosperity preachers.

Now I'm all for people making a living, and I'm all for people getting ahead in life and bettering their financial status. And I'm all for preachers getting paid by people to 'do their thing'. That's all fine. I"m even okay with people finding a schtick and making a living off that. But what I don't like is when these people make millions upon millions by telling lies to poor people .. lies about religious faith issues ... lies that if they just have enough faith they'll get rich and all they have to do is buy a book that is for sale by the prosperity preacher and they'll feel better and know how to get rich.

All through the centuries, different religions have milked people of their money and goods and even their lives. Different religions have done this with lies. It still happens today. We see people willing to die for some obscene fanatical religious belief ... willing to kill for them. We still see people handing over everything to charismatic religious leaders.

These prosperity preachers are sort of doing the same thing that the fanatical religious extremists do throughout the world. They sucker people in. And although they don't dramatically call for the people to murder others, the preachers do get the people to give up what little resources they have. The prosperity preachers are vampires. I dare say - ghouls with smiles.

Rapper Calls Out Prosperity Preachers Including Joel Osteen

“You have these rallies where literally over 100,000 people will come to hear these guys talk about prosperity,” Linne told Wade-O Radio. “The people who are coming are impoverished like crazy and they’re buying into it thinking that this false theology is going to be their way out of poverty. They figure, ‘Hey, it must work because it’s working for these guys in America.’” ..

He calls out preachers who claim faith is an avenue to wealth, “treating Jesus like a lottery ticket,” and speak only of the blessings, rather than the need to suffer. He also raps that even if some of the things they preach are true “they’re only proof that Satan comes as an angel of light.”

Prosperity Preacher Joel Osteen New $10.5 Million Mansion

The couple has moved to a $10.5 million mansion in River Oaks, while keeping their former Tanglewood residence, valued at $2.9 million. ...

Several months ago, the couple and their children moved to a 17,000-square-foot stone mansion in the Tall Timbers subdivision in River Oaks. The Osteens' new home is situated on 1.86 acres and surrounded by an ornamental fence. The 411: It has six bedrooms, six bathrooms, three elevators and five wood-burning fireplaces, with a one-bedroom guest house and pool house. The Harris County Appraisal District valued it at $10.5 million.

Silver and Gold Have I Quite A Large Sum

Reading Forbes' list, I wasn't surprised to see that Paul Crouch, head of the Trinity Broadcasting Network, was near the top, with an annual salary of $409,306. His wife, Jan, was paid $361,000. Making almost $3,000 per work day, they bring new meaning to the phrase "daily bread." Public records also indicate that they live in a five-million dollar, 9,500 square-foot house in Newport Beach that has nine bathrooms, an elevator, a six-car garage, tennis court and pool with fountain. But there is more. A TBN-owned, 80-acres estate in Dallas is worth $10 million. And there are 30 ministry-owned houses in California and scattered across the country at the Crouch's disposal. They can easily travel to those homes using the ministry's $7 million Canadair jet. ...

Perhaps equally as troubling is the fact that also high on Forbes' list were two men who head large Christian relief ministries (ministries that are admittedly doing lots of good around the world for the poor and worthy to be supported). Richard Stearns, president of World Vision, received $384,772 in annual compensation, and Franklin Graham, president of Samaritan's Purse, received $368,115. In one sense, what they are doing is of even greater concern than what prosperity preachers are doing, because prosperity preachers don't claim to be heading ministries whose primary purpose is to help the poor. Yet World Vision and Samaritan's Purse do. These organizations that are raising money to help the poor are using a portion of what is being given to help the poor to make those who head them incredibly rich.

(More high salaries posted at the site. And remember these are just salaries, not counting books and pamphlets sold, etc )

Prosperity Theology

Prosperity theology (sometimes referred to as the prosperity gospel, the health and wealth gospel, or the gospel of success)[A] is a Christian religious doctrine that financial blessing is the will of God for Christians, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to Christian ministries will always increase one's material wealth. Based on non-traditional interpretations of the Bible, often with emphasis on the Book of Malachi, the doctrine views the Bible as a contract between God and humans: if humans have faith in God, he will deliver his promises of security and prosperity. Confessing these promises to be true is perceived as an act of faith, which God will honor.

The doctrine emphasizes the importance of personal empowerment, proposing that it is God's will for his people to be happy. The atonement (reconciliation with God) is interpreted to include the alleviation of sickness and poverty, which are viewed as curses to be broken by faith. This is believed to be achieved through visualization and positive confession, and is often taught in mechanical and contractual terms.

Prosperity Theology is NOT scriptural.
Prosperity Preachers vs Scripture

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Oh .. here's another one ...
Richest Celebs - Pat Robertson

What is Pat Robertson's net worth? Pat Robertson's net worth is $30 million dollars. ...

He runs a number of large companies, including the Christian Coalition, a Christian Right organization that exists to raise monetary and public support for conservative political candidates. He has made multiple predictions about the future of the United States based upon, "What God has told him", but so far, none of them have been accurate, though many have been quite controversial.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Religion is a part of the training industry, an industry filled with so called experts and talkers.
Waste of money and time.
Spend your money on a good book. How about the bible?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Simple rule of thumb, if your church looks like a Sunday nfl game, it's not Christian in the least.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
people have a natural desire it seems to follow someone, to deify or idolize someone....unfortunately its no different in religion.

no self respecting religious leader would accept the kinds of adulation and hero worship that the guys you mentioned accept very willingly. This leads me to conclude that they very well could be wolves in sheeps clothing.

however....as repugnant as alot of these guys are......they ARE quite entertaining. If you dont believe me just watch Benny Hinn sometime.....heres a favorite of mine.... albeit...a compilation of sorts of his best 'hits'....as it were...youll see what i mean

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet the net worth is higher when you include property they put in other people's name. Just a big scam that gives a poor name to religion. Seems like there are more preachers and pastors concerned about the bottom line than helping the needy.I have quit attending church because many churches that I have been to seem to focus more on material things than the word of God. Furthermore, most members are Angels on Sundays and Devils the rest of the week.

Just because I don't attend doesn't mean I quit believing in my faith. Just tired of the hypocrisy .

Peace

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Religion, if practiced honestly and faithfully, is pure. The problem is when false prophets come along, like Joel Osteen. For the record, the Biblical definition of Phrophet is a Preacher... NOT someone who predicts the future. Jesus taught that people should give of themselves, but not for personal gain. I do believe it is true that by giving for the cause of God that God in turn will bless you, but not with a $10 million dollar house. The idea is that a Christian should trust in God to provide for their needs, instead of their own works. An example of this is a choice I am making this very weekend. I have the opportunity to work overtime this Sunday. My family sure could use the money, but it would mean missing church. I am choosing church over work because even though I could use the money, I will trust that God will bless me and take care of my needs in some other fashion. I am not tooting my own horn here, believe me, I am just using a personal example to iilustrate my point. I am by no means perfect or sin free.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
"foxes have holes, and birds have nests...
but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head."

- end of story.
If God's will for His followers is financial prosperity, Jesus was an epic failure.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

FF, You deserve more than a solitary S&F for this one. I spoke out against this very thing when I was an elder in the church, oh so many years ago. Needless to say, my stance was not popular.

I just wish more Christians would take a stand against these parasites, and stop them from leeching the life blood of people who have worked hard for the money they have.

I'll stop there, this is a topic that gets my blood boiling very quickly.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

FF, You deserve more than a solitary S&F for this one. I spoke out against this very thing when I was an elder in the church, oh so many years ago. Needless to say, my stance was not popular.

I just wish more Christians would take a stand against these parasites, and stop them from leeching the life blood of people who have worked hard for the money they have.

I agree. S&F to the OP.

I too have spoke out the same points and as you said, "my stance was not popular", I faced the same.
There is this LARGE church in my area, that instead of helping the poor or the needy, they have added a restaurant to thier church, a cafe, a playhouse, and are still adding on.

I believe it was Jesus whom flipped tables at his fathers house because buying and selling was going on there.
I guess churches and religion is just turning for the worst.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

I was kicked out as an Elder of my church a few years ago for Protesting against a "Harley Ministry" That in order to be apart of you had to Own or Purchase a Harley Davidson motorcycle...

American Churches are rampant with delusions that being a christian should equal prosperity, it doesn't, it leads to a life of hardships.

If your walk as a Christian is easy, you aren't doing it right.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Here is the video of the rap. This young man offers up some very good lyrics!

From the Song...

And I hear it all the time when they speak on the block
Even unbelievers are shocked how they're fleecing the flock
It should be obvious then, yet I'll explain why it's in, peep the Bible it's in 1 Timothy 6:9-10

How absolutely right he is. It is sad to say, but a lot of those opposed to Christianity are right about a lot of their criticisms of it. They see the mega churches and their actions and falsely believe that what they are portraying is what Christianity is all about, or they rightfully see the deception that so many Christians blindly follow. I also fault those who have given up completely on organized religion. All too many times we see Christians that say "I have a personal relationship with Christ, but I don't believe in organized religion, that is from the devil." Well no, it's not! We have just allowed the deceivers to take the leading roles within the church, and we need good strong Christians to stand up within the church and denounce the wolves. It is wrong to take a defeatist attitude if you truly believe that you serve an all powerful God.

Also from the song...

Don't be deceived by this funny biz, if you come to Jesus for money, then he's not your God, money is!
Jesus is not a means to an end, the Gospel is He came to redeem us from sin, and that is the message forever I yell! If you're living your best life now you're heading for hell!

So true again, and so sad. Jesus Himself tells us:

Matthew 7:22-23
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

BibleGateway

Here Jesus is speaking to the CHURCH! He doesn't mince words when he says that MANY will come to Him on that day and will be turned away. These are people who think they are Christians, but were deceived into believing the lie.

I am so glad you are speaking out against some of the false teaching that is so rampant right now. It is very important because according to Jesus, there are many within the church that think they are saved, but will be turned away when they stand before Him on the day of Judgment.

If anyone is interested in learning more about some of the false teachings we are facing such as the NAR, Emergent Church, Ecumenicalism, Contemplative practices and spiritual formation, and Word Faith movement, may I suggest Apprising Ministries which is good for those who like to read. Also, for those who prefer downloading and listening to shows, Brannon Howse has a great show he does each week that covers current events within the church. Just click on the "radio" tab and it will bring them all up for you to choose from.

~OkieDokie

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The purpose of being blessed is to be thankful for that, and in turn, to bless OTHERS.

By bless, I mean help out your fellow man and woman because you have been given things.

I am Christian. I do not believe in megachurches or preachers like Osteen. Christianity, at it's core, is a guerrilla religion. What do I mean by that?

Matthew 6:6
"But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

One of my favorite verses, and one which I think illustrates exactly what I stated above. Christianity is not the church... it is not a show that comes on Sunday mornings. True Christianity... to me... is taking the Sermon on the Mount for action: Loving your brother like yourself. There's no need to go around tooting your own horn.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
They all talk about prosperity and putting in seed money to get returns. Haven't found that one in the scriptures but the Lord does bless those that believe in Him and put their faith in Him. He does provide in unexpected ways. I can attest to that personally.

However, Joel Osteen and company stretch the truth or down right lie to the church members all the while laughing as they head for the bank. Would love for Richard Stearns and Franklin Graham to come work with us, they would learn the true meaning of the words volunteer, charity and aid to the poor. No one in our organization gets paid and that means exactly what it says...NO ONE.

We have had people come to us and want to work with us but the second they hear the part of no paycheck, they can't seem to leave fast enough.

I don't want to get on a rant here but if you want to do the work of aiding the poor then do so and let the Lord provide and forget the paycheck. You won't have a $10.5 million dollar mansion or jet and don't be expecting to eat caviar and truffles but you will be provided for.

Another health and wealth preacher is Cleflo Dollar and the last name says it all. He's all about the dollar. Drives a Rolls Royce and lives in a million dollar mansion. People can't seem to give their money to him quickly enough. What ever happened to the church helping the poor and needy...Oh that's right, there's no money in it for the preacher so it's not on the agenda.

edit on 8/28/2013 by pstrron because: gramatical

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

My personal favorite, from a purely entertainment standpoint, is Robert Tilton. I can't watch him without laughing hysterically. SNL couldn't do a parody of a televangelist any funnier than this guy. I remember years ago when he first appeared, I really thought he was kidding.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
while im not christian but i have read the bible and this thread reminds me of

(Mat 7:22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(Mat 7:23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
while im not christian but i have read the bible and this thread reminds me of

(Mat 7:22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(Mat 7:23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These people are all what the bible warns believers about OVER and OVER again.

Tares in the wheat...

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think if people sought God's heart rather than His hand they would be just fine.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
While I do agree these guys are scum of the earth, this is a two way street.

It is a partnership.
Don't be so quick to place all of the blame in one place.

Without the cold, the warmth could not exist.
Without an up, there could be no down.
...and without gullible, ignorant, fearful people, these money grubbing soul suckers would vanish.

These people deserve to be separated from their money.
They are fools and that's what happens to fools and money.
They get separated. It is the natural order of things.

Plus, they ARE getting something for their money.
They are purchasing and receiving something.
Something very valuable in desperate times.

HOPE!!!

These poor ignorant people just want some hope as do we all.
This, because of the ignorant fearful nature of their being, is enough to hold them over until the next major disappointment comes along.

Remember, it takes TWO....

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well, P.T. Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute...

If you can find a way to make money, so be it. If you are to stupid and get duped, so be it.

Anytime we spend money on a product we are being duped in some kind of way. We're being duped into believing that the money is worth anything, and duped into believing we need whatever we're buying.

Way to go I say. Some people found a way to make money by exploiting others, everyone that is in business does it. It's no different than spending $350 on a Coach handbag.

Heck it's a pretty good scheme too. I bet one of those guys could do a corporation sole and get tax exempt status from the IRS. Shove that money into foreign real estate and "disappear" to Ecuador or Costa Rica.
edit on 28-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join