It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling Out Prosperity Preachers (Like Joel Osteen)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Thought you guys might enjoy this little video. Now they are even making reality shows off of this exact situation. I wander how much these "preachers" are getting paid to be on the show...

Edit - I can't tell if my video link worked since I'm on mobile, but you can Google Preachers of LA trailer and see what I mean.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Here ye go...

Preachers of L.A. gives a candid and revealing look at six boldly different and world renowned mega-pastors in Southern California, who are willing to share diverse aspects of their lives, from their work in the community and with their parishioners to the very large and sometimes provocative lives they lead away from the pulpit.

edit on 8/28/2013 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Thank you! I think this video shows how these men are getting rich off of their congregation.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Just had this discussion on FB a few weeks ago. It was started by this.

Why I called out joel osteen

the guy is a clown.
edit on 28-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

These are the things you are to teach and insist on. If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between people of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge (drown) people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
1 Timothy 6:2-10

godliness as a means to financial gain
vs
Godliness with contentment being the gain

I also find it quite interesting that the Holy spirit through Paul chose the words drown and destruction in reference to the former. It brings to mind the days of Noah.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I t truly wonder how many in the Christian church are Christian.
I truly wonder how many ministers in the Christian church have Christ, not saying that Christ doesnt have them but...
The sermon on the mount doesnt receive much coverage any more.
5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5:5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

5:6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.

5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.”

I guess there are many in ministry who are also on a power trip as well, thats no better

Lucy NONE of us is like that isnt it, I bet

Best we study the word and our own lives to guard ourselves.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

If they were buying "get rich" books, and actually paying attention while reading them. They would know the secret to being "rich" is to save money instead of spending it and getting tons of bills; something, everyone already knows but do not care enough to do.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
The thing that struck me all my life about these guys, these "tv" preachers, is that all they accomplish is to drive the more intelligent away from Christianity , and the less intelligent and/or desperate draw closer for they are the ones who will open the checkbooks.

Truly these guys are, if anyone is, agents of the dark one.
edit on 29-8-2013 by elcapitano75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by elcapitano75

When judgement begins God (also known as Jesus or Yeshuah) will start with his house first and foremost. All those who claim to be men and women of God, who stand on the pulpit and preach to the congregation but are false will pay a heavy price. They will lose their soul and will be punished severely........in hell. There are many examples in the Bible that warns us of this.

Those that worship money and expensive items what does the bible say about this? Jesus said, Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Let them enjoy their short life span with their riches, they will pay with their souls.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
"...No one can ride two horses nor to stretch two bows,
no servant can serve two masters, he'll honor one of them and he'll betray the other..."

Forget OUR SIN, replace by OUR MISTAKE (Trying to find the best path through GOD)
Forget RELIGION, replace by SPIRITUALITY (INNER (and pure) WISDOM)

We can't serve two diferent "MASTERS", we must chose one of them
We know who is "THE ONE" here is the other

This other god is Our Ego!!!!
His Prophet is the materialism, the world where we live in,not the planet, but the reality we had been made for EONS (That you know as The Matrix)
And his sign (His cross, half moon, Oms, David's Star... whatever) is the money!!!

So we Worship our Ego through the Money as the materialism says like a Catholic Worship his god through the cross as Jesus (not the real Crist) says. Same for the others confessions.

There is no god, there is a SUPREME MIND!!! from where we came and where we go.
god is religion, control, materialism
SUPREME MIND, ITNESS, ONENESS, FATHER... Is conciousness.

You can remain here worshiping your god through the shortage of money.
Or you can worship our FATHER taken the opposite way.

Ask to yourself, "IT" has the answer.

Love for all

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I couldn't have said it better. Semper Fi from a fellow Marine, btw. I think you would find "The Fuel Project" interesting. Just google it. The guy talks about how the current model of church isn't biblical, and why people are really leaving. I think it's shameful that people have taken verses out of context, or flat out made stuff up. Jesus says the world will hate us because of Him, and that we should rejoice in suffering. Also, He says that you can't serve two masters simultaneously; God and money. Also think about how if some have wealth or means, it is a good thing, and they are to use that means to help others, but if you don't have wealth, that's ok, you're given other abilities to help the Kingdom.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

My personal favorite, from a purely entertainment standpoint, is Robert Tilton. I can't watch him without laughing hysterically. SNL couldn't do a parody of a televangelist any funnier than this guy. I remember years ago when he first appeared, I really thought he was kidding.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I remember when I was seven or eight I saw him on tv and said to my mother, "there is something wrong with him. He scares me." Even as a child I new there was something inherently wrong with him and his message.

I remember him saying in one episode, "there is a man in (forgot the state) who is having problems. You're lost. You don't know where to turn. Jesus is telling me that you need to send five hundred dollars today. You in (forgot the state) can find peace. Your family is coming apart and you've had health issues but god wants to bless you. He is impressing on my heart that you need to send five hundred dollars today. He has a blessing beyond measure ready for you. You just have to unlock the door."

After that I never turned on the show again.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
"foxes have holes, and birds have nests...
but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head."

- end of story.
If God's will for His followers is financial prosperity, Jesus was an epic failure.

Yes, remind me of the great quote "silver and gold have I none....". Such as it was it was clear evidence that the power of God isn't manifest in a person by their worldly holdings. Not by a shot.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by elcapitano75
The thing that struck me all my life about these guys, these "tv" preachers, is that all they accomplish is to drive the more intelligent away from Christianity , and the less intelligent and/or desperate draw closer for they are the ones who will open the checkbooks.

Truly these guys are, if anyone is, agents of the dark one.
edit on 29-8-2013 by elcapitano75 because: (no reason given)

They can certainly drive the intelligent away but the real damage is in driving away the called and equipped, substituting them for those that led the sheep to muddy waters, scattered lost, foundering on the barren hills. Its the old parable of the vineyard being taken over by hacks and self interested "teachers".

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You sort of have to see his facial expressions and mannerisms to appreciate the comedy. Google up Robert Tilton and check out some of the YouTube vids. Some of them are inappropriate, most all of them are hilarious.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I know several people who attend Joel's church of the sacred dollar.... brain washed zombies with no real grasp on what it means to be a follower of Christ. Notice carefully that there is no cross displayed anywhere on stage at the services.... only a flame symbol which reminds me of an "eternal flame" motif.

Joel's sermons are seemingly innocent with positive messages but there is an underlying tone that doesn't resonate with the love of Christ.

ETA: Grwoing up as a Catholic I was never taught that God provides prosperity and an end to suffering for Christians... in fact it was just the opposite... I was taught that to be a Christian could mean more suffering.

edit on 29-8-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I can't stand folks who pimp the Son of God like a two bit whore to make themselves rich. Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple. He did not offer to sell them a franchise.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Whoever receives and appropriates the true gift of God via the Great Work of Jesus Christ is already rich beyond measure.

Material wealth is secondary, but there's nothing wrong with it if used wisely and not merely lavished upon one's self and one's own immediate family.

I have a plan to get rich, but I want to help make other people money and give generously off the top to a good cause, but having been saved by Christ, I've already won the lottery so to speak, so the rest doesn't really matter.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Mathew 6:19-21 KJV
www.biblegateway.com...

edit on 29-8-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I agree that so-called preachers like Joel Olsteen are a bad joke but the large congregations that follow him are equally to blame.
When people desire money and comfortable life styles they tend to get distracted from a personal savior who "had no place to lay his head" (homeless), who cautioned against laying up riches for yourself and who advised that anyone following him should "pick up their cross".
Most people don't want anything to do with a savior who isn't going to make their life peaches and cream. Like children, they want Santa Claus. Just give the guy a wish list and wait for it to happen without any further effort on their part.
Like all those pre-tribulationists who think that their car will be unmanned when the tribulation starts....shouldn't you be gone already?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Matthew 19:21

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join