It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by brandiwine14

Yes, because that trauma you had is certainly the same a sitting on the ground holding your blown off fit in your hands. Or trying to hold your buddies intestines on place until the medics can get there to try to save him. It's exactly the same.

To be honest, I have had to do some of that both in and out of the service. Out of the service was - much - worse. I wasn't mentally prepared for it then and I suffer more because of that.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I am not making excuses here, but being in this industry, there are so many people that come into restaurants claiming their dog is a service dog. They even put their pets in baby carriages. We see it all of the time. You can claim to be depressed and get some certificate online that validates a dog being a service dog. Or simply slap a vest on it.

It's people like this that have taken advantage of the service dog status and have ruined it for the the truly valid people that require them. Most of these phonies are bat $hit crazy old ladies that are needy whiny PITA's and owners/servers can hardly tolerate them with a straight face. Again, I am not making excuses, just simply pointing out that this system is inundated with jerks that take advantage.

Also, it is easy to tell the ones that are legitimately enabled with their service dog. You don't typically see men that fake this type of thing. I never have anyway.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

You know; it is the pathetic attitude that people like you hold that caused one of my best friends to stick a pistol in his mouth and blow his brains out just weeks ago. If you have never been subjected to the horrors of war then how do you know what it is like. Some people, mostly sociopaths may come back from war ok but most come back with disturbing memories that lead to social problems. And people with your attitude only worsen the problem. And from personal experience nobody is mentally prepared for what happens in war. You can prepare your mind all you want but you can not help how it affects you when you return home. So don't tell me it is because they are not mentally tough when they go off to war because you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

An online certificate does not make a dog a service dog. Only those who have been trained by accredited organizations will get licensed as service dogs. I am in the process of getting one of my dogs into a program to be trained to not only be my therapy dog but to also be a certified therapy dog that I can take to hospitals to visit other veterans and sick children. Anyone who enters a business with a service dog must show valid licensing when asked by the owner of the establishment. I just don't understand why so many people have problems with service dogs.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Well, I went online and learned more about PTSD because of your posts in this thread. I guess I'll tell my friend and his other friend he knows that they might want to look into "therapy dogs".

I always understood dogs for blind people, people with severe mental handicaps and the elderly but not PTSD. My friend is a lot like someone else in this thread though, and has a "I'm going to tough it out"mental attitude. I'd like for him to be able to get out and enjoy summer weather now and then. I hardly ever see the guy anymore.

Yeah, I was ignorant -- and I'll man up to that. Thanks for calling it, otherwise I wouldn't have spent the time researching service dogs and PTSD. Learned something new today...
edit on 28-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOutcast

The lack of education here is appaling. Service "animals" are allowed in by LAW. They can be anything...bird, dog, monkey....whatever.

There is a woman here in Dearborn Mi with a service HORSE...minature yes...but none the less...a guide HORSE. And she also rides the buses with wheelchair access.

They should educate that manager...then fire him.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

dude, you rock. forget this guy. He has forgotten many not inline with HIS way of thought. Sometimes it is better to give up on people who just drain on life with negativity. Always looking for something wrong and jaded because they are that way and they assume the world is like that.

Placate to them today and make the ones you care about feel like they are less tomorrow when the vile minds ask for it all.

Service men and women: There is always someone who stands against just to be counted because they lack the self worth to even consider making others feel worthy and welcome.

You know who you care for. You know who cares about you. That's it.

Everyone else: That's why military men and women are pissed about this guy being discriminated against. Because they stick together like few do in todays age. Spineless and frail of character could describe those that take issue with a persons profession or their race or their particular personality. The military doesn't do that.

what you call "blind patriotism " on their part is just brotherhood and the most noble of human endeavours ...even for you...sticking together and being there. FAMILY.

Patriotism may come into play, but only to include the rest of the country in that family. In a very real sense, we share a community and as such share a form of family just by living next to each other, even on a basic and primordial level. REMEMBER THAT when you get "sick" of people and talk down to them.

It is vile to spit in the face of those that would count you as important to them.

So they are soldiers ....what the hell is your problem with them. They are still people ...

1-Are you better then them? no? then cut the crap.
or
2- Are you really? yea? Good for you then...die already you're done.

I can't believe people filled a whole thread about crap looking for a loop hole in logic to say "aha We got you"
all the while ignoring someones rights getting crapped on just because they "think" they know his type...as if that has any bearing.

maybe he hates praise and is a sloppy extremist liberal son of a hippie Goofball ....who happens to have PTSD and a dog. Hiw do you know?

Damn it.

edit on 28-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by Hollie

An online certificate does not make a dog a service dog. Only those who have been trained by accredited organizations will get licensed as service dogs. I am in the process of getting one of my dogs into a program to be trained to not only be my therapy dog but to also be a certified therapy dog that I can take to hospitals to visit other veterans and sick children. Anyone who enters a business with a service dog must show valid licensing when asked by the owner of the establishment. I just don't understand why so many people have problems with service dogs.

We know this. It does not prevent the crazies from coming in with their online cert. or vested dog. Like I said, it is those types that have ruined it for the legits. As well, almost all of those are older female entitlement junkies that try to find ways to get around the rules. There are way more of the phonies than there are legits. I promise. I see it almost daily.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Glad to hear and I hope that your friends get the help they need and get their lives back. No harm no foul I say. My dogs here at home have been more help to me than any pill I have been given. As far as PTSD goes, PTSD trained dogs can pick up anxiety in a human before the actual human notices it most times so the dog will go to the human when they sense the uneasiness of their owner. Service dogs have saved quite a few lives of my personal friends and I am sure many more have been saved because of them.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

To defend my position (whilst not needed) i was not attacking anyone, i clearly said i didn't agree with the outcome nor condone it, i was merely trying to raise a point of the views that i have come across.

Is he pushing a 'Military Agenda'? is this shoving the 'Military in our faces'?

when others supported the Homosexual couples in the other topics they were accused of being 'Liberal' and 'pushing the gay Agenda', this guy was not discriminated because of his sexuality, nor because of his religion or because he was in the service, but because of his Service Animal.

so why does this have more outcry than people being discriminated based solely on their sexuality?

link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Oh I forgot to say, I probably see maybe 2 or 3 people per year that clearly are in need of their service dogs. The crazy manic older ladies, a few times per week. I work at a fairly large dining room on a resort.

link   

Here is the guide HORSE I mentioned currently in Dearborn MI...on the bus. And it goes into restaurants as well. This pict is from 2009.

Some of the ignorance displayed here about service animals is incredibly uneducated opinionating on the part of a few ATS'rs.

Do some research, huh? I hope to God, no-one here ever needs the use of a service animal. Then you'd understand.

www.nbcnews.com/...care/.../seeing-eye-horse-guides-blind-muslim-wo...
edit on 2010 by mysterioustranger because: link

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

I fully agree. I too have seen people try to fake their pet as a service dog. That is why the licensing part is so important. It is sad that people take advantage of this but when have humans not taken advantage of anything. It is in our nature, but still sad and uncalled for.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by Hollie

I just don't understand why so many people have problems with service dogs.

I tried to explain why LOL. The reason is because of the whack jobs that are PITA's whiny needy unbearable twit biscuits that go online, get their little dog card, buy a vest, and claim they are dependent on their dog. Again, almost always they are women.

People that are with a REAL service dog, it is undeniable. And most of them are men. That has been my observation the past 20 years anyhow.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
One last thought about this whole thing...

It really shouldn't matter if the guy is a veteran or a purple poka dotted octopus from Tau Ceti. The guy had a legitimate, legal service animal.

I've dealt with other ADA compliance issues before. It's very REAL. Even years later I can spot places that don't have ramps or hand rails.

I suppose they really couldn't have left out his being a veteran, as it's probably the reason for the PTSD and dog. It just irks me that it's even an issue. Everyone should be treated equal. Everyone.

If this had been a Down's Syndrome person I doubt this would have stirred so many people's emotions -- and that saddens me.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

I guarantee you there were military men and women who stood with gay rights and their progress. namely the gay ones......lets not forget they come from ALL walks of life and lifestyles....like regular people do. Maybe they are regular people and the "pushing " is just them speaking their mind and hearts.....like regular people.

miltary - ness is irrelevant.

people. period.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

That is awesome. I remember when the local Detroit news did a feel good story on this woman and her horse. There are programs popping up all across the US where they are using horses as rehabilitation resources for veterans and civilians dealing with PTSD. I have thought about attending one of them since I spent my childhood growing up on a horse farm. Animals in general are therapeutic in many ways and it is despicable when someone tries to downgrade others for using them.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

i would never deny that, a main point i attempt to make is that i am a Human and you are a Human because of my sexuality doesn't diminish that nor does it make me less rightly than you or anyone, we are all Humans

but when stories such as this, or the Cake baker, and photographer become public we start to see where people think differently and start basing things on Sexuality, race, religion etc and we start to see where people divide themselves based on that as they start with the cliche "Liberal" 'Gay Agenda" "Republican" etc

regardless of this 'Progressiveness" people claim, stories such as this bring a wider view that we are not as progressed as we think, there is still ignorance in the world and people don't treat everyone as Humans but as Sub-divisions of their "Groupings"

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

and I couldnt agree more.

I knew there was a reason I liked you...

keep it up.

hold it down.

you're awesome

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I am a combat vet. I have severe PTSD. I have no more room to pass judgment than anyone else. I do have just as much right to an opinion as anyone else.

A "service animal" should be allowed to accompany it's partner wherever they go. They are needed to function. Blind, learning impaired, crippled, or loss of a basic motor function I can understand the need for a helper animal. To deny the person their service animal is cruel to say the least.

To deny a vet their "PTSD" dog is really just denying them their "cuddle buddy". The PTSD service animal does not act as a "function to the human partner" as many here want to keep making the comparison. Perhaps when he goes to eat he should simply leave the dog at home, take an extra Zoloft, eat fast, and hurry home to Fido. Problem solved.

No hassle, no drama, and no need to burden the media, the VA, or ATS.
edit on 28-8-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join