It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I had no idea they used service dogs for PTSD.

Maybe they should raise some awareness over this issue, so it doesn't happen again by mistake. (Not saying that's the case in this incident.)

But prior to reading this, if someone told me their dog was a service dog, and they didn't appear to be blind, I may not have initially believed them, either.

The owner's response here is unbelievable, though.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that people have allergies to dogs and this ADA law is kind of not very bright for specifically including restaurants. I'm not sure that it's fair if other customers need to leave to accomodate someone who has a service dog when realistically I'm not so sure a service dog is going to help someone eat their food or speak to the server. Why can't the dog just be tied up outside?

Don't get me wrong, this restaurant owner is a crazy buffoon, but it's the law that I think is a little silly unless someone can explain to me why someone would need a service dog to help them in a restaurant.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
reply to post by matafuchs

No one is able to draw parallels?

I just find it funny that many are A-OK with skirting one law but bastardize a bussiness for another parallel law.

Sorry, I just did not want this to become another 'gay fest' with people whining and complaining trying to make a comparison. There is none. This is not a baker who does not want to make a cake based on religion. The gay people involved in that were also happy. They are getting married. They have other places to go. This man, with PTSD, needs this animal to cope...get by. It is probably hard enough for him to leave the house and then he has to deal with this tool telling him he cannot come in and eat. If I was the vet I would call up some friends and make sure to eat there everyday. When they tried to not allow me, I would call the cops. When nothing else worked I would sit out front with my dog and a sign that says 'This guy hates veterans!" Then maybe disabled vets will get some...oh wait...they do have rights. Empowered by the US government. This country sucks.....

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The owner pretty much damned himself. He clearly stated that he would welcome veterans and other people with "real" service dogs and "real" disabilities. It is clear that this *&$#*&$#@% does not see PTSD or other psychological disorders as "real" disabilities. So he is discriminating against a specific subset of the disabled population. He dismisses service animals for psychological disorders as "fake". He totally deserves whatever he gets. I'd love to see his business crash. He has no problem with dogs in his restaurant, just certain ones.

Furthermore, to say that having dogs in restaurants is a bad idea is idiotic. The dogs are no where near the areas where food is being prepared. And food is often served in areas where there are many other animals present, like outdoor patios and street vendors. So it's a moot point. Dogs, especially well behaved dogs, are no more a threat to food safety than the people preparing it.

I totally hope this piece of subhuman feces restaurant owner gets what is coming to him.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I don't know if this was posted yet, but on the local TV news station (WCVB Boston), it seems the restaurant owner has changed his mind. He is allowing the patron to enter with his service dog now .....strange that.

The reason, the owner did not think the dog was properly trained, he says.

Oxford diner owner apologizes for tossing veteran, service dog out

The patron has accepted his apology, and is urging the upcoming protest rally to be changed to an educational rally in light of the owners change of stance.

That's nice to hear a pair of adults coming to an agreement and forgiving each other. S&F to them.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Furthermore, to say that having dogs in restaurants is a bad idea is idiotic.

Idiotic?

According to studies published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, scientific journal of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAA&I) up to 10% of the general population and 40% of allergic individuals react to cats and dogs.

One of the major causes of allergic reactions to dogs and cats is not the hair or fur, but what's under it:

dander or old skin scales (similar to, only much smaller than dandruff on the human scalp) which are constantly shed into the environment. These allergens are extremely tiny, like microns of dust or powder, that allergy sufferers seldom, if ever, know are circulating in the air, clinging to furniture, draperies and wall coverings.

Source

The only thing I think is idiotic is that people think that pets are kept out of restaurants because of something to do with food prep; as if pets are kept out of restaurants because they'd be in the kitchen licking and sneezing over all of the food.
edit on 28-8-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
reply to post by Zaphod58

i was referencing it to make a point, refusing to take the pictures because they are a Same sex couple is discrimination under law, and multiple people said a store has the right to refuse service,

a man gets told to leave a restaurant because his animal, so that would mean this restaurant has the right to refuse service?

That is totally different, handicapped is a complete different thing. In Ca every business and restaurant have to have a ramp and bathroom and parking for handicapped.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by TheOutcast
Probably not going to be popular with my opinion, but I agree that dogs shouldn't be allowed into anywhere where food is being prepared or eaten, regardless whether it's a junk yard hound or Lassie.
(Imagine a rat wandering around a restaurant but being told it was okay because it had served in Iraq, it's still a rat)
I'll reluctantly make a concession for guide dogs, but anything beyond that is a no-no for me.
edit on 28-8-2013 by TheOutcast because: to do editing type stuff.

Your shoe is much more likely to be a source of disease than a dog! Domestic dogs live in the same environment as humans, so why should they be considered to be of more risk?
It's a known fact that people who live with dogs tend to be more healthy than those who dont keep dogs!

To be fair dogs lick their ballz , roll around in mud , and generally mess themselves up at every available opportunity ........ that`s why they require a lot of care and attention .... but dogs that have a role such as guide dogs etc. are usually very well trained and cleaned on a regular basis as apposed to your average fun loving ball licking bullet-hole sniffing mutt . As an owner of a restaurant I wouldn`t want any animals at all through my doors to be honest , saying that , I wouldn`t be greasy enough to own a restaurant and charge stupid amounts of money for little portions of crap.

The funny thing is even with all of that the dogs mouth has fewer germs then a humans. They are under the table on the floor that everyone walks on with really filthy feet not on the table or chairs.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Then they are at just as much risk going to any outdoor public area, where cats, dogs, and other animals are abundant. Many people are allergic to a multitude of things. Even perfumes set off peoples allergies. So it's still moot.

I am not talking about pets, Im talking about service animals.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
Whilst I agree that this is pathetic of the owner , I need to point out that I do not like the way I`m having this man`s service background slammed in my face as if he is more important than anyone else simply because he was in the forces . Obviously written that way to stir up emotions and "rally the troops" , a shame really because the story is big enough without the whole "patriot" string pulling routine .

Wow, I had to let you know that for me.... Strictly speaking.... You nailed it!!!! I am sick to death of men and women being put on a pedestal only for the fact they're Military all the while screaming they're fighting for my freedoms.

" but, but i only killed innocent people so i could have oil and lithium and go to college! Whats the biggie?"

Gag!!!!
edit on 28-8-2013 by tracehd1 because: Correct

In a sense I understand and agree and yet when someone invades the USA or aliens come calling those volunteers will be a god sent and all that is between you and death. They don't choose where they are sent to "defend" but they will be needed and I personally am grateful to them for being there.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AthiestJesus

I`m sick for not worshipping glorified murderers who don`t know their arse from their elbow ?

Man I hope if they start drafting again you are not of age to be taken. Well i assume you would leave the country if it come to that is sounds like.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Not to mention humans scratch their butts, scratch their balls, pick their noses, fondle their gonads, wipe themselves, and rarely wash properly afterwards. On top of spitting and doing disgusting things to food for revenge or amusement.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Next, this is not a story about a vet.

But that is not how I see this story, it is about a soldier who went through hell and is now in need of some help and is denied it.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

For myself I didn't fight for oil or lithium or college money, I didn't even fight for your freedoms (I don't even know if you even deserve freedom to be honest).

I simply wanted to be the first kid on my block to travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people.............and kill them. ( not really I just love that movie line)

gallows humor man, all soldiers have it.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

reply to post by LightOrange

Then they are at just as much risk going to any outdoor public area, where cats, dogs, and other animals are abundant.

Which they avoid because they know that public areas don't have policies that exclude pets. This restaurant is not a public area, and that makes all the difference. People with pet allergies would have a reasonable assumption that a restaurant they are going to has a "no pets" policy, however.

Look, it would suck to have PTSD and need a service animal to help you cope, but I sympathize a little more for the people who are paying to eat a meal and have their throat close up, have to shoot themselves with an eppy pen, and be rushed to the hospital.

And all because of a dog that I would assume does absolutely nothing but sit there beside the table when he could just as easily be tied up outside like any other animal.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Char-Lee

Not to mention humans scratch their butts, scratch their balls, pick their noses, fondle their gonads, wipe themselves, and rarely wash properly afterwards. On top of spitting and doing disgusting things to food for revenge or amusement.

Are people allergic to humans' dander? Will any of these human activities affect another human being negatively to the point where they need to go to the hospital?

Honestly, you people have the weakest arguements I've seen on this site in a long time.
edit on 28-8-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
As with other related threads, I think all businesses should have a right to refuse service to anyone they want, no matter how careless and stupid they may be in doing so. Of course, if it's against the law, then there's not much you can do short of trying to change the law.

Even if it wasn't against the law, it doesn't change the fact that this is wrong. I hope that guy doesn't experience similar treatment from other restaurants. Just seems like insult to injury considering what he's faced during his time served (and what he's now facing as a result). That owner should be ashamed of himself.

edit on 28-8-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy

Originally posted by InhaleExhale
Yes because its against the law.

Same as the photographer refusing for the reasons of the couple being gay.

Thank you.

The point I was making.

Now why was 95% of ATS applauding the discrimination of a gay couple but those same people want the owner of this restaurant to loose his bussiness?

I know the answer but I want to hear it from you.

Do they? I personally believe you you have a business that deals with the public, unless someone becomes dangerous or acts in someway that drives away your customers, I think you should have to treat everyone equally always 100% of the time.
My Father-in law owns a restaurant...he threw a couple out of his place because they sat their little baby with a diaper on next to the register when they was talking to the cashier. Personally I was appalled that he did this, the area around the register that deals with filthy money and hands is not a clean are and the diaper WAS clean!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The restaurant owner has apologized for his ignorance about the issue of PTSD service dogs etc. He say he has every respect for forces veterans. But seemingly the dog was barking and making a nuisance of itself, it wasn't passively sitting there. The dog owner was repeatedly warned to bring it to order. And he'd also previously warned the dog owner (a regular customer) that the animal stank ... the dog had a bad odor ... and that he wanted the creature bathed before he could bring it back in. And it might be a service dog now, but to everyone else it was the guys for years.

The restaurant owner's account has been backed up by another veteran who was there when the incident kicked off. And the FB page established to crucify the restaurant by way of a boycott, well, their admins are now crapping their pants and claiming the page is "to educate about PTSD and the role of service dogs", not anything about a boycott (course not lol) ... the restaurant owner's been threatened with getting murdered, assaulted, you name it ... and he's seeing his business being destroyed into the bargain.

Way to go. I can see this one running and running in the courts.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
By law it sounds like the restaurant was wrong.

That said I personally don't want to go out to eat at a restaurant and be seated near a dog. You have no idea how clean this guy keeps his dog he could be bringing fleas into an eating establishment. Dogs also shed a lot of hair which ends up everywhere.

I love dogs and I can imagine that this one is a very special friend indeed but dogs don't belong in restaurants period.

edit on 28-8-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

It is not like handicapped line up with multitudes of dogs I doubt during one meal a single dog is going to contaminate the whole restaurant.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join