It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch a Jaw-Dropping Visualization of Every Protest Since 1979

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hi peeps..

Despite the title of this thread saying 'Every' I do not think that is the case. It should be every media covered protest... But that is the title of the article.

I am highly sceptical that this visualisation is entirely accurate but it definitely shows how the number of protests world wide throughout the last 34 years have sky rocketed.

I cannot figure out how to embed the time-lapse so you will have to go to the link but that is only one click away...

250 million protests worldwide, from 1979-2013, visualized in one time-lapse image

Penn State doctoral candidate John Beieler has created a time-lapse visualization of every protest on the planet since 1979. And it is jaw-dropping, and I mean that in a real way, not in a BS blogger-overhyping-this-incredible-amazing-thing way. No, this is truly amazing, because what you’ll see is tiny blips popping off here and there in the 1970s—a time we think of as highly politically charged—and nearly eclipsing the world starting with the late 90s anti-globalization protests and the second Iraq War up till our present moment.

I would love to see this overlaid with time-lapse visualizations of other factors: global warming, globalization, wars, food shortage, and the spread of the Internet.

Also fruitful: Comparing this data with media coverage and treatment of protest. Why is it easy to think of the 1960s and 70s as a time of dissent and our time as a more ordered, controlled and conformist period when the data so clearly shows that there is no comparison in how much protest there is now compared to then? Media distortion much?

www.ultraculture.org...

Clearly the people of the world are not happy. Clearly people want to change that. And very clearly many governments of the world do not give a flying ****...!

Governments are meant to listen to their people. But they are not hearing us. There are so many people suffering in so many different kinds of aspects and they just do not care. If it does not earn them money or power they ignore it. The planet and its inhabitants are suffering and it needs to change if we want to survive and evolve as a species...

So we need to make our voices heard...!

Peace

Fluff

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Very interesting. I don't know what constitutes a protest but that doesn't really matter to me. The increase is still obvious. You could probable use a different definition for protest and still come up with similar results.

Bottom line is society isn't working well for a growing number of people.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Nice catch fluff

Fascinating to see the advent of media coverage increase so dramatically over the last few years

At least I think it's that, if not looks like we aren't a very happy bunch at the moment

Cody

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Nice catch fluff

Fascinating to see the advent of media coverage increase so dramatically over the last few years

At least I think it's that, if not looks like we aren't a very happy bunch at the moment

Cody

Mmmm, they're still pretty sketchy on coverage. I was tracking media coverage in regards to protests both domestically and internationally. It was really pretty disturbing. Much went unreported and when they did report, numbers were frequently skewed through perception (hundreds instead of thousands--misleading but truthful still...in a way). There was a day organized on October 15, 2011 where there was an organized global protest. It was called 15O. I was watching the livestreams of about 13 different cities worldwide, including Berlin and NYC. There wasn't a single report of the protest within the US media though I do believe that the events in NYC were reported in the news--Fox, if I recall correctly.

en.wikipedia.org...

I wouldn't say media coverage has improved all that much. Much of what goes on barely makes a blip in the US media. Greece, Egypt and Syria are exceptions to that but I think that part of the reason for the latter two is their being Mid-East and the reporting for Greece is rather skewed at times. For all else, the general rule in the US media seems to be either don't report it or mislead about numbers, emphasize damage, and number of officers injured. Ironically enough, Martin Luther King Jr. complained about the same thing in his "I've been to the mountaintop" speech.

*Should add in defense of our journalists here in the US. Press passes were frequently not respected in hottest areas of protest and in many cities, journalists were ordered to stay several blocks away from the protests and were basically sitting in cars on relatively quiet streets. Those that did not respect the order were sometimes arrested and a few were hit by batons.
edit on 26/8/13 by WhiteAlice because: added the edit

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Kansas, really?

I don't know about that. looks like a steady riot goin on there

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Pretty wild...S&F

Unfortunately Guns and control of the military/police speak louder then voices...

They're trained to listen to orders... not the people's voices...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'd imagine that the role of the internet and social networking has a lot to answer for the explosion post-2004.

That seems to be the year that facebook was launched.

At least it shows that the internet isn't just for spanking the monkey.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby
I'd imagine that the role of the internet and social networking has a lot to answer for the explosion post-2004.

That seems to be the year that facebook was launched.

At least it shows that the internet isn't just for spanking the monkey.

While social media definitely makes the organization and sharing of information in regards to upcoming protests more readily available, you still need a motivation to actually protest. It's less likely that the protests increased as a result of social media but that social media allowed for an increased awareness and participation in protests and the formation of solidarity protests (like 15o). The reasons for the spike in protests in 2004 were most likely due to anti-war protests in response to the invasion of Iraq. Post 2007 would be largely the result of the financial crisis of 2007/8 and continuation of anti-war protests. What social media did was simply allow like-minded individuals to find each other and organize. Hence why all the interest in it probably by local law enforcement and governments.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Wow... It's like the proverbial red light blinking, faster and faster, then even faster, I almost expected to see the map blowing up toward the end

Sometime soon something will blow up somewhere, it's inevitable. Just hope it won't be in my corner of the world.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Those that did not respect the order were sometimes arrested and a few were hit by batons.

That is one of the many hazards of the job and any serious journalist should be buzzing off that risk factor, not whining in their vehicle while the story is happening elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Lol Ty Cody..

Well methinks we are not happy. If the peoples of the world were happy then they would not be any need to protest. But at the moment there are countless aspects of the way the world is ruled that is wrong and is not working..!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I think you are quite right. The media coverage has not improved a huge amount. But I think now with more peoples having access to social media we are privy to information that we would not have been privy to before. We get near instant info from peoples worldwide - as much as I dislike what many social media sites do with all our info it is an incredibly affective way of spreading awareness..

It is a shame that this time-lapse was not covering every single protest since 1979. Now that would be even better...!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Hi Akragon..

Yes this is a problem. But I always wonder what if every citizen who owned a gun decided to turn on its government..? Now as I do not live in the US I do not know for sure how true this figure is. But I do not think that anyone knows with certainty how many guns there are in America..

GUNS IN THE UNITED STATES:
Americans Own Between 262 Million And 310 Million Firearms

www.urban.csuohio.edu...

Or if every single citizen in every single country decided that one day they were going to stay home. What would they do..? Would they really kill us all..? Without many of us the world would not go round.. (Metaphorically speaking..
)

And what I do not understand is that the military and police are people too..! Are they not affected in their home lives in similar ways to citizens..? Can they not see that what they are fighting for and upholding are liars, murderers and thieves..?

I don't know.. I just wish there was something we could do to show them we are not happy and the current ways of the world are not working and are not sustainable...

edit on 27-8-2013 by fluff007 because: linky..

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The problem with social media is that it is reactive by nature and doesn't really encourage a whole lot of contemplation. Essentially, what it tends to becomes is an echo chamber with very little thought because sharing, adding a couple words, or liking something just takes a few seconds so it really creates a knee jerk response with frequently very little critical thought. I don't know how many times I debunked something that my friends had shared or liked that came across my feed as being a known hoax or how many of them I responded to with the declaration of hoax. The irony? Most claimed that they didn't have the time to fact check and just "liked" it (over 90% of the time, these things were easily debunked in a matter of seconds by a simple search).

Social media like Twitter and Facebook are essentially the home of sock puppets pandering tot hat few second reactive crowd. So while it could have a benefit in increasing awareness, it is so riddled with poor information, misinformation, or outright hoaxes that get regurgitated without thought thousands of times that it tends to become an echo chamber of the worst within humanity.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The real mind blowing this is how all of these protests has had next to no affect against what they were protesting.

The voices of the voiceless make no ground, and the rulers continue with their agendas regardless.

The sad part is that in all of these protests, the only time that ANY change whatsoever has been accomplished has been when violence got involved.

But we are above that here in the US. We are above the idea of violence because it is illegal. We are above acting out in illegal ways against our illegal and unconstitutional government. We are fed with the idealistic belief that we here are "civilized" and don't have to resort to such means for our voices to be heard.

But we have been screaming. The people have been yelling at the top of their lungs in the United States since the 70s and since then, all the government has done is hit the mute button, pat us on the head, and we all went home and continued making them more money.

It saddens me to no end.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Not bad, but it doesn't show the 1981 anti-Springbok Tour protests in New Zealand, that in some small way helped bring down apartheid in South Africa....

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

I do not think that 'every' protest as the title of the article states, has been recorded in this visualisation. Seemingly only the protests that gained major MSM coverage made the part...

It would be amazing to see a visualisation of every single protest. Now that would be well worth a watch...

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Heres the question: are you happy?

I would say that, on the whole, the people of the world are flat out pissed off. And to make the powder keg a little more volatile, they are polarized.

Interesting video.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by cody599

Heres the question: are you happy?

I would say that, on the whole, the people of the world are flat out pissed off. And to make the powder keg a little more volatile, they are polarized.

Interesting video.

Me ?

Yeah I'm happy

I work hard, I strive to learn everyday, and I'm lucky enough to awake with Mrs C every morning.

My kids are back in touch and I beat the arse of alcohol

Yeah I'm happy big guy

Next challenge please ........................ just not photoshop

Cody

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

In my day to day life i am happy, too. Great job, hottest wife on the planet, and i beat the arse of being fat, and am healthy once again.

But there is this displeasure with the world I will leave when I die. That world that I helped build to leave my children. And that displeasure just keeps growing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join