It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone crashes into crowd at US event

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Let’s All Watch a Drone Fall Out of the Sky and Smack a Person in the Face

Link

We knew it would happen sooner or later. Somewhere in Richmond, VA, a drone fell out of the sky into a crowd of people at a public event. It seems to be working fine and does a few low passes and then it just seems to go right into the crowd. Immediately, the drone is removed and passed to others and it is gone.

Drones will be used quite a bit in the coming years. I have seen them used at public events and I feel it is so we become used to them. Conditioned perhaps that they are always there. Then, when there are everywhere, it will seem like commonplace.

Will accidents like this be something we will see more off? What if they are using these for Law Enforcement, fall out of the sky and into a busy street? A school yard of children?

Skynet is active folks...

edit on 8/26/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed source link

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Link doesnt work. Additionally, in all the news sources I have seen on the subject, it does not appear to be a government drone, but one belonging to the member of the public, or so they say.

ASHINGTON - Police are trying to find the owner of a drone that crashed into a crowd during a running of the bulls event in Virginia over the weekend.

A video captured a spider-like drone flying above Virginia Motorsports Park in Richmond, Va., when it suddenly dipped and crashed into the grandstand.

SOURCE

I have seen the popularly of mounting cameras onto remote control vehicles increase. Usually in the form of a model helicopter, or quadrocopter.

I have written before on drones malfunctioning over US soil, most recently in Florida. It should definitely be considered a growing concern. Especially if members of the public get involved.

edit on 26-8-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It was only a tiny camera drone quadracopter thingy, when i read the title i thought "oh snap those things can be huge" thinking military missile drone.

Im so glad that was not the case.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Sky-net is active, and it's only going to get worse.
Hope nobody got injured.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Quoted for truth. Model planes crash all the time, often right into peoples faces. However, now that this thing is called a drone, it's suddenly something majorly important? People build these things as a hobby, don't just react to buzzwords, use your head.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Marsupilami because: god made me

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Looks to me like its lipo batteries were drained .
Im guessing that the pilot stretched his air time a lil too much.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hope the owner has good insurance so the guy hit will make out big time. As for exclusions from liability on your tick I would be willing to bet droans were not listed and it really doesn't make any difference anyway. Break out the checkbook

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Sorry if some of you thought it was a Reaper or some such. My point is that it seems to be conditioning that when you are in public you will see there. Even as some in this thread stated that it was a 'small drone' . It is still a drone, that is controlled by someone and can cause damage.

There is a huge airfield for RC planes in St Pete Florida and I am sure that at some time there have been accidents and honestly, if you were around them, i would expect that.

This however is a public event. It is showing that even at a public event you have no 'right' to be filmed and people seem fine with that. It is not a big deal at a football game, or a race, I understand, but what happens when these are deployed at Mardi Gras? Or the Macys day parade. Used to look for potential threat or even just scan the crowd. The technology is there and now there is no reason for stop and frisk, is there?

Again, my main point was this is simply one more step to condition and make it 'normal' to see them in the sky and to ignore them. This way, if any law enforcement is looking for someone who is doing something that should not be, just look for the lookout who is combing the skies for the drone.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Some are controlled by WIFI, others are controlled by R/C. It could have come under interference in some way, either intentional or not. WIFI hacking or GPS spoofing are common attacks on drones.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Technically it was a hexacopter... But ouch!! I have one of those and they're not light!! They drain their batteries in a matter of minutes, it probably just ran out of power. If it goes out of range of the controller as well it tends to just drop.

TV channels are starting to phase them in instead of using helicopters, obviously they're a hell of a lot cheaper. I have to admit that when I read the title of the thread I was expecting a Global Hawk/Reaper type drone

new topics

top topics

join