It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Tea Could be Used As An Antibiotic By Adding Salt - eXCITING

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Green Tea Could be Used As An Antibiotic By Adding Salt say researchers and the method is quick and cheap.

It leaves a coating behind and could be used in many medical applications.

"Researchers at Northwestern University have discovered new ways of utilizing the properties of naturally occurring polyphenols found in green tea, red wine and dark chocolate. Dissolving polyphenol powders in water with a small amount of salt instantly produces transparent coatings that kill bacteria on contact, have....."

gizmag.com

People who have MRSA and other infections after visting hospitals which are a major source of infection after using conventional antibiotics unsuccessfully should keep this in mind as this could take could decades to implement and put into routine use

Big Pharma will also be opposed to it as threatens their profits so this might just get shelved with a nod and a wink.

sadness.
edit on 26-8-2013 by beckybecky because: more sadness

edit on Mon Aug 26 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link, added ex tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well this is fantastic! I love me some Green Tea... Unfortunately, I can see obama pushing a Green Tea Agenda now and the price of a Tea Bag will sky rocket....

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Wow,

I find that very very interesting. Green Tea you can pick up anywhere and cheap and salt is even easier to find, so this would be a relatively easy antibiotic to make quick and easy at home. I also am like a big disaster preparation type of person and i feel like this is a very good like solution to being sick during some kind of disaster where you don't have access to medical professionals.

Post-Apocolypticly Certified lol.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I have some major dental issues but infections are always a big worry. I rinse with green tea nightly before bed and so far haven't had any serious infections manifest. My partner won't listen to my advice and she has had 3 teeth pulled due to infections.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky
Green Tea Could be Used As An Antibiotic By Adding Salt say researchers and the method is quick and cheap.

Link To The Research Article
Background of the story:

The scientific researchers (Tadas S. Sileika, Dr. Devin G. Barrett, Ran Zhang, Dr. King Hang Aaron Lau, Prof. Phillip B. Messersmith)

This research was supported by grants from Baxter Healthcare and NIH (grant number R37 DE014193). T.S.S. was funded by a National Science Foundation graduate fellowship (grant number GRFP 2011124091) and the Ryan Fellowship.

The publisher also stated:
[The Authors. Published by Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. This is an open access article under the terms of Creative Commons the Attribution Non-Commercial NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.

The summary of the research is this:

"In summary, we described a novel bioinspired approach to the formation of colorless multifunctional coatings, exploiting the versatility and multifunctionality of plant polyphenols and their mimics. We believe that the simplicity and versatility of the strategy, combined with the low costs and wide availability of TA and PG, are attractive features that will lead to many additional applications beyond the ones we have described. Plant polyphenol-inspired coatings are not only possible through the use of low-cost precursors like PG and TA, but also through the direct use of extracts from polyphenol-rich foods, therefore representing a “green” family of surface modification strategies"

In closure...nowhere could I find in the research that this method could be used as a cheap antibiotic treatment...there is no evidence to support such a wild claim. These antibiotic treatment claims come from the mouth of the article writer for Gizmag. He himself is not a scientist, nor is he credible to make claims in any way.

Please OP, provide me with more proof...because I do not buy this at all.

edit on 26-8-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Very good info. S&F. I have to add that there are a lot of polyphenols in pine needles. White pine needles are the safest for most people but some people are still allergic to them, so take care to start very small if using pine needle tea. Green tea is milder and not many people are allergic to it. The salt thing is what interests me the most with this. It also appears that the powder is needed for this from what I understand. I am not sure if I am reading that wrong, what do you think OP. Remember that this would be classified as a medicine or as an occasional drink to keep overpopulation of microbes from happening. I wouldn't do it all the time or you will have to do some repopulating of the gut flora.

You are right, the Pharma companies will send out their computer experts to redirect people away from this info.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

The original article, which I assume you read does not say it is an antibiotic. You are right about that. Polyphenols have antimicrobial action, if you type that in, many many articles will address that. Antimicrobials are similar to antibiotics and often share some chemistry but are not classified that way, antimicrobials are added on food to slow the oxidation of the foods. A way around the bad rap antibiotics in food was getting was to reclassify some stuff as antimicrobials...antibiotic free that way. Either way, antibiotic resistance can occur in the microbe world by this practice.

I am not afraid of the antimicrobials on foods. I can neutralize them with common things if I want to. Sometimes they help to control overpopulation of the flora.

I'm not trying to discredit you, I am trying to teach you something to add to your knowledge.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I understand what you are trying to point out. It would help the uninformed reader out if you were to also cite similar articles to back up your thread. Simply relying on one article to point out something is not the ATS way...it is a nOOb way to go about it to get S&F's.

So...help me out here!

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Id caution against this for now.

Your body needs some bacteria, if everyone starts guzzling green tea with salt, and as it said it kills bacteria, you could end up killing all the good bacteria in your stomach.

perhaps topical applications?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Dbl..

Is ats acting weird or is it just me?
edit on 26-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I've had pink eye in the past, which is usually treated with antibiotic drops.
Last time when I was getting the feeling of needles in the eyeballs (pre pink eye), the doctor wrote me a prescription, but said don't get it filled if I can fight it off with a natural method. Green tea bags over the eyes.
It worked

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

I just made my own green tea super drink and now i think I will add some salt. My mix goes

Green Tea
Ginger
Raw Honey
Lemon
Spirulina
and now Salt

can you use any salt or does it have to be the
iodine salt?

edit on 26-8-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Oh thank God for this.

This will make it so those who did something 'not too bright' will now be able to stave off their inevitable demise as they succumb to the virus they got, for their punishment. Since they will be homeless, though, I expect there DNA and fingerprints will be collected when there arrested? Do they still give out free salt at the rest stops? Can just anyone get there hands on the tea? Because if they aren't dead, there doing something...

To protect us, from what's out there.

# 50
edit on 26-8-2013 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

I just made my own green tea super drink and now i think I will add some salt. My mix goes

Green Tea
Ginger
Raw Honey
Lemon
Spirulina
and now Salt

can you use any salt or does it have to be the
iodine salt?

edit on 26-8-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

i quote the article:-

Researchers at Northwestern University have discovered new ways of utilizing the properties of naturally occurring polyphenols found in green tea, red wine and dark chocolate. Dissolving polyphenol powders in water with a small amount of salt instantly produces transparent coatings that kill bacteria on contact, have antioxidant qualities and are non-toxic. The sticky nature of polyphenols and the low cost of materials could open the door to a wide range of uses for these coatings.

so powder the green tea add SMALL amount of salt.

read the research paper for exact details and save it before it disappears

Read the article as i don't want to be persecuted for giving out medical advice as that is against the law and i could get 40 years in federal prison.

big pharma will do it's best to stop this from being used.very soon an "research article" will come out saying green tea causes cancer.
edit on 26-8-2013 by beckybecky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I had (have I guess) new dental issues, too, and have been staving off an abscessed molar (and expensive dentists) with large doses of vit C (started with 20 - 30 gms or so then reduced that to 5 - 8 gm a day)... at least this one brand of powder is powerful enough to act like an antibiotic... so far. Killed the infection and thus the pain in less than 5 hours and has been trouble free for months.

Green tea might help as well... but I'm fuzzy about how this stuff differentiates between good flora and naughty flora, so taking pro-biotics, like yogurt, for intestinal health must be a good idea.

Dental infections are being found to be worse and worse for the entire body and are especially bad with creating heart attacks, while certain dental work, like mercury fillings, are thought to be scary-bad as well.

Might as well yank em all out and gum it, or implant tic-tacs in my gums every day.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I used green tea with salt to my digestion problems, but didn't knew it could be used as a antibiotic. Here is another: half cup of coffee with half cup of fresh orange juice: INSTANT POWER to the inmunological system.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asikakim
I used green tea with salt to my digestion problems, but didn't knew it could be used as a antibiotic. Here is another: half cup of coffee with half cup of fresh orange juice: INSTANT POWER to the inmunological system.

That sounds DISGUSTING!!!! hahaha

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Make your own. Go buy green tea powder aka maccha.
Mix it with salt. Preferably a good organic salt.
Even sea salt you buy at the store is crap, unless it's really harvested from sea water, which 90% of it isn't.

Get Hawaiian or Himalayan salt

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I did not find the word "Antibiotic" used once in the linked article you provided. Perhaps you meant to say antibacterial?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Tea poultices have been used on wounds for millennia and antibacterial properties are well known. Consider using a hot tea bag next time you have a sty. The tea has antibacterial properties and the heat can help cause the sty to express.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join