It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking in public....should this be banned?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm a non-smoker and for many years have had to endure the smell of smokers smelll!!! It really isn't fair that we non-smokers have to endure the stench of cigarette smoke. How would a smoker like it if a non-smoker decided to spray smelly, cheap cologne all over a smoker so that that smoker could smell just like the person who was wearing that smelly, icky cologne? Smoking is gross and it shouldn't be allowed in public places, bars, restaurants, etc. California is pretty good about not allowing smoking in public places. Even on our kids soccer fields, there is NO smoking allowed! Just because a bar is a bar, does that constitude that it should be a smelly place for smokers? When will the non-smokers have rights for clean smelling air? Smoking causes cancer to non-smokers at a rapid rate! Just once, I'd like to meet a heavy duty smoker who actually cares about blowing smoke into the path of a non-smoker. It would be nice if a smoker would learn to be considerate to others. It's as bad as coughing right into someones face!

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I'm sorry, but I am quite sick of the government getting this seriously into our lives.

In America at least, it should be up to the place to decide, and if they lose business because of it and shut down til there are not more, well that's what the market wanted.

We're capitalists boys, we're TRYING to let the market decide. I guess the Federal Government has forgotten that.

It's a state thing - not a government thing. People assume when laws are passed such as "no smoking" laws that it is a government thing, but it's not. That's why some states have them and some don't. It will always be a state by state thing. If all states join in, it will still be a state thing.

Oops, forgot to respond to the topic - I am allergic to smoke so I would vote yes, bann in public places where there is not an option for non smokers. Can't really do anything about out doors but to walk away.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by Godsent]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Teller

John Cleese once said that he was in a restaurant eating a meal when a couple on the next table finished eating and started smoking. He asked them to stop while he ate and they refused. So he went over and farted at their table while they ate dessert. What's the difference indeed, except farts can't killI suppose!

Yes well that�s utterly stupid just like john cleese. Maybe he should have gone to a non-smoking restaurant.

Originally posted by LostSailor
Im a smoker....

I can understand not smoking in working places and other areas like this. But what do people expect when they go to a bar or night club? Actually, bar and night club owners in cities that have this ban are starting to complain about it because they're losing buisness. Also, most of the people that are so for banning smoking in these places, never even go to them. This is just taking the whole "lung-hugging" way to far.

I'm almost seeing the anti-smoking thing in America as the prohibition of the new age. Pretty soon I'll be a criminal just for having a smoke. What the hell is goin on?

You have the right to walk away from me when I light up a smoke. Maybe you should go outside when I have a cigarette.

Second hand smoke.... you have more chance of getting a brain tumor from your cell phone or cancer from drinking tap water. Seriously

My god we actually agree on something.

Shoot I can do one better than that even... Automobiles should be banned. Cars kill more people then smoking and drinking every year!!!

DOWN WITH THE AUTOMOBILE!!!

We could end up mates. But exactly automobiles pump out enough stinking pollution and not only kill people and wildlife they harm the planet on an unprecedented scale. But do we see them banning the car do we see adverts telling us how harmful cars are to the environment. Do we see big stickers on them telling us these things in big suggestible lettering? No. That�s why this whole banning of smoking is a taking of rights.

Although i agree on non smoking in work places and restaurants [regardless of the cleese comment] to ban it in pubs and clubs? To deny a working man a pint and a cigarette is pathetic.

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
You can choose not to eat at McDonalds (which obesity is almost as bad as smoking) which is known to have extremely bad food for your body, and WILL contribute to health problems.

Case in point. Many Denny's in my area (a local favorite for the after bar scene, goths, misunderstood poets, etc) went non-smoking. This was bad for the crowd that packed them in the evenings and early morning.

They are still packed and people smoke outside or not at all.

Sounds scary...

Obesity. Is a dreadful thing. I can�t stand the site of fat people they take up far to much space they take longer to get out of the way. Example at a fire drill i got stuck behind this fat guy and i couldn�t get past, we would have burned to death by the time he got outside. And why? Because he was to FAT. Because he couldn�t lay of the fatty foods. But do we see health warnings at the bakers or at the sweet shop [loli shop if your an aussie]. No we bl@@dy don�t. Pathetic.

As for those goths and misunderstood poets they are the whole problem with the world. They are the ones that should be fighting back. They need a good verbal kicking to set them straight. I had this with a punk rocker the other day. He walked passed me with his dog and the dog sniffed at my leg, so i look at him [just look] and he says SORRY. SORRY. I felt like crying at this point. What�s the world coming to when a punk rocker says sorry?

Originally posted by JSaulKane
According to ash.org.uk (published in 1999), smokers pay about �10.5 billion in VAT and duty in the UK, but according to NHS figures, only �1.7 billion is spent on tobacco related diseases.

Here we go the absurdity of it all. I wonder where that money goes. Illegal wars shamefully for the smoker. I have met people who have smoked all thier lives well into thier 80's and the non smokers who they lived with were fine, all those who adhere to this hysterical talk about second hand smoking are just that, hysterical. GW uses the same tactic with his war on terror mmm maybe there�s a parallel conspiracy with that? Although i do accept some people may have allergies lots of people have those to all sorts of things, one being nuts. Sorry you will just have to be more careful in avoiding smoke.

Originally posted by Journey
I just quit smoking, about 2 months ago- and now I feel as if they ought to baned totally, not just in public places. 26 years of addiction!

The dangerous president. Nothing worse then a smoker that has quit. This scoundrel [nothing personal mate] will only make things worse, the whole situation will have a knock on effect. There will be more of this guy out there pissed because deep down inside they still wish they could have a smoke but if they cant why should anyone else.

I recently gave up my car for a pushbike. I ride 10 miles to work everyday and 10 back. I have to breath the stinking fumes of them cars on my ride. I think those drivers are irresponsible to MY needs and should also give up there cars and get on there bikes and all those silly mums in there four wheel drives that cause congestion they should get on the bus with all the poor families. Before i quit my smoke.

Originally posted by Majic
Then, when Smokey saunters up to the pile of dry brush, oil-soaked rags and dead logs you�re sitting on and asks �Mind if I smoke?�, you can just whip out your bag, hold it in his face, say �Mind if I shake?�, then start shaking flour all over him while making comments like, �Mmmm! There�s nothing like that smoooooth Asbestos� flavor!�

Important Note: After 9/11, some people might get the wrong idea if you sprinkle a fine, white powder all over them. Obviously, it would be foolish to overlook how sensitive and potentially volatile such a misunderstanding would be, so in addition to commenting on the quality and flavor of the Asbestos you are shaking, be sure to occasionally yell, �Don�t worry! This isn�t anthrax, honest! Nope, it�s definitely not anthrax, so don�t go thinking it is, because you would be really, really wrong!� Doing this will allay the fears of even the most skittish and suspicious smoker, security guard or law enforcement official.

whoop, whoop, loon alert loon alert.HA HA
. I think i simple yes would have done. And no i don�t think a coppers fear would be allayed. You would most likely be arrested for numerous reasons.

Originally posted by dawnstar
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If the studies on global warming doesn't link global warming to our use of fossil fuel, then I believe the studies on shs are even weaker.

And, well, I really do doubt the intentions of those studies, especially when the lawyers that all the legal battles very quickly went on to battle the junk food resturants and such.

And, well, have you looked at price of those cigarette cessation aids that are sold....boy, some big corporations are really cashing in on this one aren't they?
It's a very Big Business!!
And, well, if you trace the money, you will probably find that the researchers are funded by people are are cashing in...

-----------------------------
Majic, I just used the same argument that you did to refute global warming. If the results of that test isn't credible to you, why should the studies on second hand smoke? How in the world can anyone take in all the variables that might cause a medical problem....chemicals at home, chemicals at the workplace, chemicals added to their environment around their home, in their food, in their water.....and walk away saying that second hand smoke killed anyone? God, Kodak in Rochester increases the risk of those living closeby for pancreatic cancer...guess what...all those people are more prone to diabetes...so, are how feasable is it that the weeklly big macs and fries that they consumed really caused the problem.

Is this a pick your own poison thing or what?

If you are going to accept one, you should at least accept the other, since the integrety of the science is about equal.
Instead of scapegoating.

This is the best answer. Money. That stuff should carry a health warning to.

As for smokers stinking. Well there are a lot of things that stink. Including YOU. Or are we all to assume you smell of fresh flowers day in day out. Your chit not stink no. I have to ride my bike past sewage works everyday there�s no way round so....

No, smoking in public should not be banned. Not on the street. Not in the park not anywhere in the open. Establishments should have the right to decide whether they are smoking or not, until they ban fatty foods and cars at least.

Ridiculous and a sad sad sad sign of our times.

[size=10]IMHO

edited for my bad literature

edited oops missed a bit

[edit on 12-11-2004 by kode]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Second hand smoke.... you have more chance of getting a brain tumor from your cell phone or cancer from drinking tap water. Seriously

Second-hand smoke as a health issue is only half of the issue with smoking indoors in public. It makes my clothes and hair smell and irritates my eyes. If I decide to not partake in this nasty habit then why should I deal with the side effects? Luckily I'm not much of a bar-fly anymore but I can remember leaving a club because I just couldn't bear it anymore. It's really not that absurd to ask someone to kindly go outdoors to get their fix. Smokers think they're losing a right because they are so used to blowing their smoke whereever they please. The restaraunts with the non-sectioned non-smoking area are hilarious but it's a nice gesture.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I want to start off this reply by saying...THIS IS BS!

Im a smoker. I've heard about the smoke bans in NYC and the 8 dollars a pack price. I think if they keep making these utterly ignorant laws on smoking, the governments going to have some riots on their hands.

I mean, c'mon...do people not see how stupid a ban on smoking is in a freakin bar! A pub is the kind of place to sit back, forget your troubles, and have a drink and a smoke. If they take this away from us, theres gonna be trouble.

-TSK

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
I want to start off this reply by saying...THIS IS BS!

Im a smoker. I've heard about the smoke bans in NYC and the 8 dollars a pack price. I think if they keep making these utterly ignorant laws on smoking, the governments going to have some riots on their hands.

I mean, c'mon...do people not see how stupid a ban on smoking is in a freakin bar! A pub is the kind of place to sit back, forget your troubles, and have a drink and a smoke. If they take this away from us, theres gonna be trouble.

-TSK

It will never happen because the western world is scared. It fears. It�s lost its balls and does what its told. Its full of ignorant people who look no further then the latest peoples poll

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   

John Cleese once said that he was in a restaurant eating a meal when a couple on the next table finished eating and started smoking. He asked them to stop while he ate and they refused. So he went over and farted at their table while they ate dessert. What's the difference indeed, except farts can't killI suppose!

Yes well that�s utterly stupid just like john cleese. Maybe he should have gone to a non-smoking restaurant.

Oh god and there was me thinking I had posted that Cleese anecdote as a serious argument towards the cause of banning smoking in public.
It seems to me that any time you mention any segregation of smokers they become very defensive. But alas that is the rod of all addicts: denial is a beautiful comfort isn�t it.
The answer is simple. Ban smoking, not make smoking and non smoking sections: that is just laughable, in all public CONFINED spaces. I hate it even in the street when someone walks past me and blows their smoke toward me. But this is not going to give me secondary cancer or make me smell too much, so allow it. If it is in the open air, fine, from an anti-smoker as me I cannot see any argument for banning it except for in enclosed public spaces.
A new and growing argument here in the UK by the anti Ban brigade is that it will only make people smoke more at home, make people stay at home more than go out to bars so children of smokers will have a greater chance of developing secondary smoke related diseases. WOOOH. So the same people who say you cannot ban smoking in the public arena because there is no proof of passive smoking cancer and related diseases are the same people who say if you do ban it more children will get cancer and secondary smoke diseases because smokers will stay at home. Great Logic Again.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by The Teller]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   

A new and growing argument here in the UK by the anti Ban brigade is that it will only make people smoke more at home, make people stay at home more than go out to bars so children of smokers will have a greater chance of developing secondary smoke related diseases. WOOOH. So the same people who say you cannot ban smoking in the public arena because there is no proof of passive smoking cancer and related diseases are the same people who say if you do ban it more children will get cancer and secondary smoke diseases because smokers will stay at home. Great Logic Again.
[edit on 12-11-2004 by The Teller]

Well it seems their jumping on the ban brigades bandwagon for their own advantage. Didn�t mean to offend you with the cleese comment. I agree on the banning of smoking in confined places were people have to be together like transport and workplaces but within places of choice like pubs and clubs it shouldn�t be. I think there would be clubs and pubs that would be non-smoking where all the non-smokers can go that�s fine, there is no reason why this cannot be done. To outlaw it in all pubs and clubs is wrong. Pubs and clubs are places of relaxation where people go to enjoy a vice or two or three.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode

I think there would be clubs and pubs that would be non-smoking where all the non-smokers can go that�s fine, there is no reason why this cannot be done.

Because it is a logistical nightmare, that is why. First you need ALL staff to be smokers and ALL patrons to be smokers. So if a barman say leaves the job and an opening is vacant, the pub needs to employ a new barman. So a non smoking experienced barman goes for the job, is declined the employment, he takes the firm to an industrial tribunal and wins on the grounds of non employment through discrimination. Just like a minority worker or a woman could do. That is just one stick in the spoke of the segregated machine of smoking and non smoking places. Also a friend has a dinner, three of the nine guests don't smoke, but as they have been invited by the host to the restaurant by a smoker it is unseemly to protest about him and all the others smoking. This is one of the social implications of your idea. Basically it comes down to choice, you can smoke and deny the non smoker their rights and possibly kill them or you can smoke in your own environment. Why should the person who has become a victim of the Multi Billion dollar tobacco corporations, a heath hazard to themselves and those around them have ALL the rights? That is the situation now as it stands.
It is tantamount to say I have the right to own a gun, but I also want the right to shoot wherever I want and if I kill a few people with stray bullets throughout my life then that is a worthy sacrifice to pay for my freedom.
Oh and by the way I was not offended with the John Cleese thing, just wanted you to know it was a comic aside to this debate and nothing serious. I too think it is silly, but that is exactly the reason I like the story.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Go ahead people, give the government permisson to strip away yet another freedom from the people. Do you really think the government gives a rats ass about our welfare? If so wouldn't hazardous waste dumped in our waterways, bovine hormones in our beef and dangerous drugs backed by the FDA to name a few, be outlawed as well. Control, control, control. That's all it's about. Open your eyes people!

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
When i started this thread, i never thought i would have got so much response and in depth replies.

The debate is excellent.

We got lots of opinions, but the concensus seems to be that its the governments who are taking our civil rights in a lot of things as well as smoking.

Much appreciated for all the response..

[edit on 13-11-2004 by Bikereddie]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If I owned a bar or pub in a city that outlawed smoking in such establishments I would charge a $5 fee at the door to enter. It would not be a cover charge but mearly 'dues' to enter my newly established 'private' club. Welcome members.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
Go ahead people, give the government permisson to strip away yet another freedom from the people.

So wexactly WHAT is the difference between governments stripping a person's freedom and a government denying another person's freedom?
If they ban smoking they are oppressing smokers rights, if they don't they are oppressing non-smokers rights. So surley it is sensible in theses situations to address the rights of the victims, and potential victims above those whoe cause the problems by smoking.
Okay so let the government allow drink driving, afterall it is oppressing the drinkers right to drive when smashed out of his brain. Or let the government allow companies to pollute the earth killing thousands and creating a potentail enviromental disaster and do nothing about it...oops I don't think that was a good example if you are American.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
```

at least all those cigarettes produce light/whitish-gray smoke....

Unlike all those CITY BUSSES outgassing all that dark sinister looking
carbon-soot-smog at each stop light and bus stop, 18 hours a day...
(see, the distractions works...ya'll focusing where your told to focus...)
```

smoking and or porn, cannot be banned...only curtailed
so, just, live-with-it !

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
Go ahead people, give the government permisson to strip away yet another freedom from the people.

So wexactly WHAT is the difference between governments stripping a person's freedom and a government denying another person's freedom?

Why don't they pass a law stating that non-smokers aren't allowed in bars or public places?

Sorry I'm a bit hungover this mornin' and probably shouldn't be posting threads.

But c'mon people I'm sorry my smoking makes you smell bad

That's all second hand smoke is proven to do.

I'm allergic to pollen in the spring time, lets do a mass extermination of plants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 13-11-2004 by LostSailor]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It is politially correct to do anything you want to smokers! Yes it is. No one cares if the cigarette taxes go up. We hear that it is for smokers medical payments, (say what?)

Then we hear it is for education for young people not to smoke. I heard that a good part of the cigarette companies payoff to states were supposed to go for that too.

I know that I least some of those monies just got thrown into the general funds to help balance state budgets.

I did not once hear non smokers complain about the misuse of those monies. In fact I believe they don't even know about it. They believe what the government tells them.

It is so PC to bash smokers now that the government will actually tell you that they need that extra cigarette tax to help balance the budget. And, by the way, this will stop kids from being able to afford cigarettes.

Teen agers and kids are still smoking. It is me, an older American, that cannot afford to smoke any more. I do suspect all the non smokers are clapping their hands and saying "See now you will be more healthy, and it is because of us." So you see I was forced to quit smoking. What happened to my rights?

The bars/restaurants just for smokers wouldn't work because it would put all the no-smoking businesses out of business. That is why we have to have laws to get rid of the smokers bars.

I believe that we got into this PC position because smokers do not want to hurt others. And when the second hand smoke and other medical information began to come out, smokers tried to avoid any situation where they would be hurting someone.

The restaurants/bars that have smokers/non smokers are a joke. Of course the non smoker is still getting the smoke. So, why can't there be smoking/non smoking places of business. Also then the employees could work in the place that was appropriate for them.

Well, I feel better now that I got that off my chest

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The ONLY place the government should ban it is in government buildings, Town hall, Police department, well thats the ONLY government buildings we have here
but you get the Idea.

The freemarket should decide the rest. It should be up to the owner of the place to decide to have smoking/no smoking or both. I dont smoke myself but that doesnt mean everyone should quit.

I think a lot bigger question is should parents be allowed to smoke in the room with their young kids? If not how would you enforce it?

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Because it is a logistical nightmare, that is why. First you need ALL staff to be smokers and ALL patrons to be smokers.

No its not i know lots of non-smokers who don�t mind being around smokers. In fact i know non-smokers who are against the ban. I know non-smokers that when i go round their house and say do you mind if i smoke they say no not at all we are not as silly as them hysterical anti smokers.

Some people don�t mind and they would be the ones who work in the smoking bars and clubs them that don�t can go work in a non-smoking establishment.

So a non smoking experienced barman goes for the job, is declined the employment, he takes the firm to an industrial tribunal and wins on the grounds of non employment through discrimination.

No he doesn�t because he is told that it is a smoking establishment. If he doesn�t want to work in a smoking establishment then he has no need to apply. Instead he can apply to work in a non-smoking establishment.

Also a friend has a dinner, three of the nine guests don't smoke, but as they have been invited by the host to the restaurant by a smoker it is unseemly to protest about him and all the others smoking.

Im sure a night spent with some smokers isn�t going to kill them. Besides they have the choice to say no i don�t wish to attend because i don�t like smoky environments.

Why should the person who has become a victim of the Multi Billion dollar tobacco corporations, a heath hazard to themselves and those around them have ALL the rights? That is the situation now as it stands.

The smoker doesn�t have all the rights. Smoking is banned in lots of places. It�s the smoker that has no rights. People have been smoking since the dawn of time you know. It�s not just a moden day phenomenon.

If they ban smoking they are oppressing smokers rights, if they don't they are oppressing non-smokers rights. So surley it is sensible in theses situations to address the rights of the victims, and potential victims above those whoe cause the problems by smoking.

The rights of the victims. Victims have a choice whether to frequent an establishment that permits smokers.

The nail in the coffin for smokers will be as i said earlier. The ex smokers as they start to grow there misery and nastiness will force this ban into effect. It will be the same crowd that will agree to ID cards the same crowd that will let the governments stick chips in them. You see this crowd have been pressurized into quitting. They have been beat.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Now, I am an ex-smoker, but I still smoked after cigarettes had gone to $7 a pack, and had been banned in all public places. For the most part it was really no inconvenience, and fewer allergy attacks in bars/venues where there was no longer smoking.
However I live in a neighborhood loaded with night spots, and annoying drunks now take the bar to my sidewalk/doorway. This is not nice at all!!! The noise level is far worse, the drunken mischeif is worse, etc. The smoking ban has created problems for even non-smokers like myself by forcing us to have a bar in our friggin doorways (every night at 3am someone accidentally hits my door buzzer, I get sexually harrassed far more often if walking home late at night, cigarette butts/bottles/cups EVERYWHERE, a few people also decide while they're outside smoking, may as well take a piss instead of going back inside and waiting for the bathroom)!

However, there are some "smoking" bars/lounges, and Those which have smoking rooms. I think this is probably the only compromise that could work. This way, smokers can go to a bar where they are not frowned upon, and non smokers can avoid 2nd hand smoke if they choose to, and the bar would not be moving out onto the streets every night.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode

not at all we are not as silly as them hysterical anti smokers.

I think the use of the word hysterical has just removed you one place from the legitimacy of your post. Is it hysterical to state the obvious, or hysterical to profusely deny the obvious. Glad to know you are a paid up memeber of the British American Tobacco conglomerate brainwash machine.

So a non smoking experienced barman goes for the job, is declined the employment, he takes the firm to an industrial tribunal and wins on the grounds of non employment through discrimination.

Originally posted by kodeNo he doesn�t because he is told that it is a smoking establishment. If he doesn�t want to work in a smoking establishment then he has no need to apply. Instead he can apply to work in a non-smoking establishment.

I trust that if you knew anything about equal rights in the workplace, especially under UK law which is what this thread was initially about, you would know this was wrong. All people regardless of gender, ethnic class, or social scale have the right to apply for the same job.The only premise to deny them the job is unsuitability under experience or skill levels. So any person WOULD have the right to apply for a bar job, and if they were a non smoker and it was proven they were not offered the post because of this could and would be able to sue the company for discrimination. Imagion this happening in every town of every city in the whole country. And even if they did smoke and worked in a smoking enviroment like a bar and developed asmoking related disease could still successfully take action against the bar. This HAS and will continue to happen.

Why should the person who has become a victim of the Multi Billion dollar tobacco corporations, a heath hazard to themselves and those around them have ALL the rights? That is the situation now as it stands.

People have been smoking since the dawn of time you know. It�s not just a moden day phenomenon.

Oh right so Neanderthal man went outside his cave at 11am for a cigarette break then did he?
God I need a smoke!!!!!

[edit on 13-11-2004 by The Teller]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join