It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't the bible considered a historical fairy story?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
- Talking snake

- Adam lived to be 930 years old.

- Noah lived to be 950 years old.

- Noah's Ark fitting 2 of all animals and surviving for about 5 months.

- Jonah surviving 3 days and 3 nights inside a fish.

- Jesus walking on water.

This are just a few of the absurdities in the bible.

My question is... why not take the bible as a historical fairy story?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

The real reason why the bible isn't just simply discredited as an epic fairy tale is because it has so much historiological evidence.

I was a bit shocked when I actually read up on this.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Don't forget Methuselah = 969

Because someone, a very long time ago decided it would be a great idea to mix and match all the religions, and create a "new" religion to control masses with. And when you put the influence of the Roman empire, and then the inquisitions behind it later on, voila! You have a worldwide religion a lot of people are afraid not to believe in.

reply to post by Knives4eyes

True that.
edit on 8/24/2013 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 8/24/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

The real reason why the bible isn't just simply discredited as an epic fairy tale is because it has so much historiological evidence.

What historiological evidence?

Please give me an example.
edit on 24-8-2013 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It is considered a historical fairy tale, just not by its adherents.

The worshipers of the book are deathly afraid of questioning it because they have been convinced a place of eternal torture awaits them if they do.

Little do they know, they are committing a form of idolatry by believing a book is the infallible, perfect word of god. That's the only "proof" they have of their god and they worship it, so basically they believe that god is a book. Pretty delusional in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Who ever said the Bible was all literal? Alot of historic evidence does exist but these examples you chose can have metaphoric/symbolic meanings which you'll have to do your own research to find out and not just ask a question which you already have your own answer to.

Ex:

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the devil and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world. Revelation 12:9

Adam & Eve sacrificed paradise for knowledge. The Bible also describes Satan as the “deceiver,” and by definition, that means that Satan has to be your mind

For Adam & Noah's age short answer, as sin increased age decreased.

Jesus walking on water? This is reminiscent of the words of God to Isaiah:

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you” (Isaiah 43:2)
edit on 24-8-2013 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cass1dy09

Why do you believe that?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I talked to a goat and I heard it whisper to me that I was going to die in a horrible fire 10 days from that day. Well, that day is today and no fire yet.

Jk. People think it's real, the whole #ing thing. They ignore the bad or illogical parts, either claim it was from another time or we're interpreting it wrong. I don't get it, well I do but for the most part it escapes me. No one gives a # about what they believe. Honestly, no one cares enough. And it's not like anything can be done about it, before people were slaughtered because they didn't believe. Now, trolls/shills swarm the very few that actually care to stand against the bs.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

What historiological evidence?

Please give me an example.

I'm sorry but you should just look up what it means so it makes sense to you.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Well in Genesis it says after the flood, "the Lord said My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years." Surprisingly enough only 1 women has lived longer (122). As for living 900 years I can't give you a solid proof answer you're looking for. I can tell you God gave the first human couple everything they needed for their eternal health and happiness in the Garden of Delights and never intended death to be upon man until they strayed away as their choice.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Please consider it what ever you want to consider it.

Many people do think its a fairytail. so I am at a loss as to your question, so you think it isnt and why.

Or are you in some way suggesting that adherents to the bible have forced people into thinking its something they want them to think...How is that done,
Your premise is a little silly, and if I choose to believe its inerrant scripture, what is that to you.
Does my choice harm you, do you wish to dictate what I believe
Is this no more than a demand to define something to suit only yourself

Please consider the bible what ever you want to consider it.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
A friend of mine used to run a book shop. He took great delight when customers came in and asked -
"Where do you keep the bibles?"

He'd reply with-
"Over there, with the rest of the fiction"

One day his boss delivered a box of childrens bibles for him to place on the shelves, my friend spent the rest of the week shredding them and flushing them down the toilet. He said there was no way he was going to be involved with brainwashing children.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Well in Genesis it says after the flood, "the Lord said My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years." Surprisingly enough only 1 women has lived longer (122). As for living 900 years I can't give you a solid proof answer you're looking for. I can tell you God gave the first human couple everything they needed for their eternal health and happiness in the Garden of Delights and never intended death to be upon man until they strayed from him.

Your answer to my question is that... it's in the bible.

The bible isn't proof that something is real or that something happened. We are talking about a story that says people lived for almost 1000 years.

What could be a better question is... why take the bible seriously?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
People love their Mythologies.
Throughout the entire history of human History, people have been loving their Mythologies.

These Mythologies are a Psychological derivative of desire for an Omni-parent.
These Omni-parents replace the authority and magic a biological parent has when that magic of adults is lost when children grow up. Culturally, these Mythologies become the Omni-parent; always there, never losing its magical authority.

Religion is an artifact of the childhood mind to remain a child, to fulfill that need and craving for the authority of a parent.
Since these religious mythologies have been so pervasive all throughout the history of mankind, even into prehistory, these Mythologies will even show up in History, giving them historical context.
Moses may have very well been a real person, so also Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Achilles, etc.
As time takes these real personalities, the stories of these very real people become heavily embroidered, either by design, or just through the old Chinese Telephone game of retelling a story over and over and over.

Real people become gods and demigods. Magical events become the norm. We love our fantasies.
Often enough, a Mythology begins in fantasy, and then annexes stories of relevance into the warps and weaves of its fabric thus giving it credibility and rooting into the real world.

Thus, yes, religions; both still alive and dead, are largely Historical Fiction. Many events and places and personalities described may very well be true and verifiable, but, the magic attributed and found in these stories are embroideries, exaggerations, and even complete fictions woven in.

edit on 24-8-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

Adam & Eve sacrificed paradise for knowledge. The Bible also describes Satan as the “deceiver,” and by definition, that means that Satan has to be your mind

You are correct. In fact, Satan is actually what we refer to today as Ego.

The Ego is our greatest adversary. If we're not paying attention to our mind and thoughts we will eventually believe a lie, and thus sacrifice the real reality for an illusion and that is exactly what the Ego does and among other things.

Be alert and sober for Satan walks among the Earth like a roaring lion seeking all those that he may devour.

Take the 'like a roaring lion' part and think about what it feels like to be around an egotistical fool? You can almost feel their negative energy in the air.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Your premise is a little silly, and if I choose to believe its inerrant scripture, what is that to you.

Is it silly to be curious as to why people decide to believe in absurd stories?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

It's a mythological account of "actual events".

example...Jesus is a real person but his father was not a god.

He was an illegal immigrant.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Who ever said the Bible was all literal? Alot of historic evidence does exist but these examples you chose can have metaphoric/symbolic meanings which you'll have to do your own research to find out and not just ask a question which you already have your own answer to.

Ex:

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the devil and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world. Revelation 12:9

Jesus walking on water? This is reminiscent of the words of God to Isaiah:

“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you” (Isaiah 43:2)

It was the "knowledge of good and evil", not for knowledge. On a spiritual symbolic point this can represent a fall into dualistic thinking. And I do agree that the satan do represent the symbol of the ego. Demonic behaviour is ego behaviour where a person behaves without regard for the damage done to others only thinking of itself.

The snake had to be cursed in this religion since it is a symbol for the kundalini awakening/enlightenment in Ancient egyptian. You bash the other religions to make sure you are different.
edit on 24-8-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It is a book of religious belief and believe me I would rather live in a Christian zealot or moderate Jewish society or Buddhist society (in that order) than any atheist society as when you are sick in an atheist society they tend to put you out of your misery and go for a coffee break like you are just an animal, now if that is your belief I have nothing against you but I do not want you running my county or in a position of authority as your moral code is based on a standard without perceived oversight and therefor is likely to fail at the crunch.

Some but not the majority of atheists are benign Humanists but others say that the old/sick/infirm/maladjusted are just a burden that it would be better without.

So was parting the red sea a fair tale well please look at this then explain the proof it is wrong.
www.biblebelievers.org.au...
www.arkdiscovery.com...
www.youtube.com...

I don't know why I try to explain to your mindset as it reminds me of the devil saying to Jesus "If You be the son of God turn these stones into bread".
He said "My own shall come unto me so obviously those of you who do not are not".

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
People love their Mythologies.
Throughout the entire history of human History, people have been loving their Mythologies.

These Mythologies are a Psychological derivative of desire for an Omni-parent.
These Omni-parents replace the authority and magic a biological parent has when that magic of adults is lost when children grow up. Culturally, these Mythologies become the Omni-parent; always there, never losing its magical authority.

Religion is an artifact of the childhood mind to remain a child, to fulfill that need and craving for the authority of a parent.
Since these religious mythologies have been so pervasive all throughout the history of mankind, even into prehistory, these Mythologies will even show up in History, giving them historical context.
Moses may have very well been a real person, so also Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Achilles, etc.
As time takes these real personalities, the stories of these very real people become heavily embroidered, either by design, or just through the old Chinese Telephone game of retelling a story over and over and over.

Real people become gods and demigods. Magical events become the norm. We love our fantasies.
Often enough, a Mythology begins in fantasy, and then annexes stories of relevance into the warps and weaves of its fabric thus giving it credibility and rooting into the real world.

Thus, yes, religions; both still alive and dead, are largely Historical Fiction. Many events and places and personalities described may very well be true and verifiable, but, the magic attributed and found in these stories are embroideries, exaggerations, and even complete fictions woven in.

edit on 24-8-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

WOW! In a nutshell!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join