It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima operator pleads for international help as radiation crisis deepens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

TEPCO, operator of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, admits it needs overseas help to contain the radioactive fallout, after 18 months of trying to control it internally. It comes after the latest leak at the facility was deemed a “serious incident...

"In that sense, we need support, not only from the Japanese government but from the international community to do this job."

rt.com...

This is not before time and would hope that help is forthcoming. This is an internation problem and effects the whole planet. It is common sense that an international team of experts should be set up to help deal with the ongoing problem.

Cancer rates are going up in Japan and contaminated fish is turning up all over the world. The problem will be ongoing for decades if it cannot be bought to heed.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

18 months???? If they can't even count, how could they have expected to sort out this disaster?

When exactly did this take place? Friday 11 March 2011!

Which according to my sketchy mental arithmatic makes it around 895 days or approximately 31 months and 23 days! But I could be wrong!

edit on 23/8/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/8/13 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
And not a moment too soon!

Excuse my sarcasm but, I'm tired of these "saving face" attitudes from these tepco folk.
When will enough truly be enough?

With great power comes an even greater responsibility

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Well, maybe they could aim the discharge hose into the nearest volcano.
In the time being, the whole site could be encased like a Boston Creme Pie.
All the while, Kamakaze Workers could run in and retrieve those fuel rods
one at a time until they are encased and stored properly.
Which evidently is a subjective term, as no one knows what the hell to do with all the
waste material to begin with now that the cold war elevation is over.

Well hot damn, we could just encorporate that material into scrap metal for consumption.
How about that new Prius !!!
It glows so bright, it doesn't even need headlights.
Hell it doesn't even need a battery.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
What help do they need? Ideas ,cash,man power?
ideas are free ,so open a forum dedicated to suggestions and have someone sort through and contemplate each one ,no matter how bizarre and out of the box they may be
cash? there is plenty of that around ,the problem is the returns for some may be generational ,probably not many takers
Man power ? how many would sacrifice themselves for the good of the planet? ( the silence would be deafening) by creating a human shield around the smouldering pile soaking up the rads with good intentions
Help may come when its in your face on the media everyday but its obviously not that important .

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I'm not the religious kind, but I just have to point out why "pride" is usually considered a sin. Their pride got in the way of everyone's well-being.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Well I hope they get some international help. Any country that can should help. This incident affects many things globally not just Japan. It is still going to take them a while they have alot of work to do. I remember reading somewhere recently that there was still something like 3000 rod things that needed to be removed and had to be done manually..

I shall try find the article. Fingers crossed they get some support and help..

Aahh not 3000 but 1300...

Even the tiniest mistake during an operation to extract over 1,300 fuel rods at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan could lead to a series of cascading failures with an apocalyptic outcome, fallout researcher Christina Consolo told RT.

Fukushima operator TEPCO wants to extract 400 tons worth of spent fuel rods stored in a pool at the plant’s damaged Reactor No. 4. The removal would have to be done manually from the top store of the damaged building in the radiation-contaminated environment.

In the worst-case scenario, a mishandled rod may go critical, resulting in an above-ground meltdown releasing radioactive fallout with no way to stop it, said Consolo, who is the founder and host of Nuked Radio. But leaving the things as they are is not an option, because statistical risk of a similarly bad outcome increases every day, she said.

rt.com...
edit on 23-8-2013 by fluff007 because: ETA

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It's about time . However , help shouldn't need to be asked for in this situation. This is and has been a worldwide problem since it happened. Glad they finally decided to come out of the closet

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
this is very frightening...

i think this is beyond the scope of human fixing, we may need intergalactic help...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Strangely enough, the problem at Fukushima will probably largely solve itself.

One is pulling for the "China Syndrome" here, where the fuel mixture melts its way deep into the earth. The deeper the better. We may have luck with the geology and find that the fuel is ultimately entombed at a great depth and thereby "contained" underground.

It is probably beyond technology as we know it to build a coffer dam around the site to isolate it from the local water table.

Some mining efforts to pursue the leaked fuel might be undertaken after the surface facilities are dealt with. I think the Japanese probably want assistance in dealing with those.

Then there is filter mining the ocean off the coast for the most dangerous radioactive elements. This is another area where international help in the form of money, research and materiel would be necessary. An important thing would be to locate underwater hotspots where radioactive elements are leaking into the ocean. One would hope they are doing this already.

Fukushima should not be handled like Chernobyl, capped and abandoned. It should be cleaned up in the most comprehensive way possible. It is a necessary learning experience for mankind. We have to learn to deal with the problems posed by radiation. Might as well make use of the opportunity that Fukushima presents. Doing this properly will help us deal with the next one. There will be a next one.
edit on 23-8-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Makes you worry about how much you really don't know.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think this Fukushima issue is overrated by a 1000
There are spoken about crisis and deep crisis and deeper crisis.. but only in written form
It´s like some people WANT Fukushima to blow up the world
But sadly its "only" one factory, the sea will eat up the spill in time
its a sea of dispersion possibilities..
airborne radiation is also overrated in this issue

Yes it is a big local problem.. and it will stay that way for a long time

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well its about damn time. What took them so long?!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Send all the murderers, paedophiles, rapists, who are sentenced for life in to grab them rods to atone for their sins.
While they're at it, send in the ceo's of bp and the oil tycoonists and all the other assholes that dared to aim a gun right at earths heart.
edit on 23-8-2013 by OmegaSynthesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
american media continues to remain fairly silent on this subject, too busy reporting on Kanye's baby, and Ben Affleck

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaSynthesis
Send all the murderers, paedophiles, rapists, who are sentenced for life in to grab them rods to atone for their sins.
While they're at it, send in the ceo's of bp and the oil tycoonists and all the other assholes that dared to aim a gun right at earths heart.
edit on 23-8-2013 by OmegaSynthesis because: (no reason given)
I like your way of thinking.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkingRelentlessly
this is very frightening...

i think this is beyond the scope of human fixing, we may need intergalactic help...

read and seen a lot about aliens but never heard anyone say they are the village idiots of space, so on that note, they ain't gonna jump in..

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

they can ask for all the help they want, but little to no actual help will arrive mainly because there is no one who can do anything to help, other then blow new smoke up everyone's ass.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
I'm not the religious kind, but I just have to point out why "pride" is usually considered a sin. Their pride got in the way of everyone's well-being.

actually in this case it didn't. i realize what fools they have been (tepco/japanese govt.) and how many literal lies have come from them, but scientifically speaking, they knew from day two that there would never be anything they, nor anyone else, could do to stop it and that's the sad truth.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I'm curious, with all the threads on ATS along with other forums and news sites, has anyone read even a suggestion on what to do to fix this problem?

It just may be there is nothing that can be done. I can't believe that in this day and age if the only thing that can be done is remove the rods and store them in proper containers that we don't have the ability to design a suit that would allow a person limited time without exposure that would radiate them.

Here is a thought, how about the intellects that are hard at designing ways to kill each other take a brake and put there minds to this problem, I mean is it not job security? If this keeps up designing better weapons will be obsolete, there just won't be anyone left to fight.

Do you suppose the Rothschild's are really ready to live in a city in a cave or do they know something we don't.........like there is no need to bother with Fukushima.........just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join