It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Difference between Ghosts and Spirits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
To understand why "ghosts" appear, you need to know that there are different kinds of paranormal "ghosts." When most people think of a "ghost" they imagine a floating white thing that moves around and makes scary noises.
A ghost is actually energy of a human that keeps repeating itself. It is not a spirit.
A spirit is the "soul" of a person that can actually communicate with the living if the spirit knows how. Most spirits do not know that they are dead so it is important that you let them know that it's time to move on to the other side.
Back to ghosts: A ghost is a replay of an event. For example, you might see a ghost walk down the staircases every night at 3am and then dissapear. That's the only thing that it does. It repeats itself. Like seeing a battle scene from a Civil War fight.
Back to spirits: A spirit can manouver things, communicate, become visible, etc. For example, a spirit might open doors, touch you, speak (different things usually) do things you ask it to do, etc.
Orbs: Orbs are angles. If you get an orb on a picture, it is an angel. That is why it doesn't take a specific form like a spirit.
Demons: Demons are bad. Don't mess with them. They are controlling, and will make you think that it is a spirit. Usually demons are not cought on film because they choose not to be.
I hope this can be of some help to some people on how to tell the difference.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I've never really heard of any difference between ghosts and spirits. Is this your theory or do you have any decent links?

Edited spelling

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
while I agree that there are different types of entities, the words ghosts and spirits mean the same to me, but I understand where you're coming from.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I seem to have a different opinion here. A haunting that repeats itself and doesn't show any intelligence, like a movie being played over and over again, I call a residual haunting. Any ghost that moves around and shows signs of intelligence I call a spirit or apparition. When objects fly around the house I call that a poltergiest.

Orbs, I just call them dust most of the time. In certain case I believe they could be residual energy. I believe residual energy is needed for a apparition to materialize.

Angels and demons are just spirits or apparitions in my opinion. Confused yet?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
My source comes from a book I have called How To Be A Ghost Hunter byRichard Southall. For a link to a picture of the book click here...

www.paranormal.about.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Me confused and I cant talt anymore right

Na, thats great way to define them all but angels and demons are more like spirts to me.

How do you a ghost on camera. I going ghost hunting at my cousins soon so I want to know how to get them all on film

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It's very hard to get them on film. The best way is to have an inferred camera or a camera with a good amount of night vision. Set a few cameras up in the place you are going and let them roll. You might also want to have a tape recorder with you to try to catch any EVPs. (Electronic Voice Phenomona) Talk to the spirits out loud and ask them to show themselves. I always say, "My name is Amanda. What's your name?" That seems to have an effect on some spirits because you're actually directing a question or statement to them and letting them know that you are there to help. Don't be suprised if you get touched by a spirit if they are active. Most spirits do not know they are dead and are just curious. If you have any more questions feel free to U2U me.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
What is a demon? Can a spirit decide to become a demon?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I like the definite difference between the Explanations of Ghost's and Spirit's. I more or less lump ghosts into the same category as the residual haunting description. More or less if someone has passed, and either their dramatic situation repeats unintelligently, or if their is actual independent activity, I still refer to that as a ghost. I guess it is more of a coverall label for me.

I have some ghost activity in my home. They are recently deceased family members. I'm not actually frightened by it, becuase I know they would never hurt me. However the supernatural is in itself intrinsically unsettling.

If I were to see an apparition of these deceased family, It all depends on how I saw them if I were to be "spooked" by it or not.

Apperently my cousin and her daughter saw a complete apparition of my Deceased aunt, and she my aunt was of all things headed to the bathroom to ahem do her duties. I got a kick out of it, who knew ghosts had the urge? But it just reinforces, that I think she has zero idea that she is dead. She died suddenly in her room, and likely didnt even get the chance to put the thought together she's dying.

Thanks for the bandwitdth,

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a ghost is like an impression in time, that keeps repeating itself... but a spirit... perhaps never was a human. but that is not to say it is not a sentient being. angels and demons are one and the same, according to judeochristian demonology... it's a matter of sides... but christians don't believe in ghosts... the japanese have a word 'KAMI' which is like an elemental of sorts... like a force of nature, comparable to faries and stuff like that, at any rate, angels and demons are spirits as well... the 'orbs' that the one post described exist universally in every culture, even in africa, usually they aren't good at all. People that go 'fey' (that is people who are terrorised and driven mad by the fairy-folk, or SIDHE(pronounced 'she') see such orbs... but usually the orbs are associated with a malevolent force, often times as a form of psychic vampire... some say once a person loses their virginity, these 'orbs' lose interest in their victim, so says the 'encyclopedia of vampirism'

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
oh, yea... demons are really nasty. if you're feeling brave, or stupid enough to mess with one, at least protect yourself in some way, erect a circle(if ritual majick is your bag) or cover your nose and mouth so it can't get in. demons also like to screw with emotionally voulnerable people and pose as the deceased. be carefull...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
How would I go about messing with a demon? I'd be more than happy to, and then report my findings, because I dont believe in demons.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Repeated events are usually referred to as "Phantasms" or "Phantoms" Most paranormalists avoid the use of the word "spirit" as it has far too broad a meaning to too many cultures. "Ghosts" are usually used to describe entities which are able to respond to stimilui in the environment. At least this is how I've always heard it...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alec Eiffel
How would I go about messing with a demon? I'd be more than happy to, and then report my findings, because I dont believe in demons.

that's actually a very healthy attitude to have, friend. to deny something exists is to rob it of power, thus it has no dominion over you. keep it up and you'll never have to believe in demons, as you will never have to deal with one. in order to encounter a demon, one must call attention to one's self and open one's self up to it. If BgirlRAIDERETTE has encountered diabolical forces, i question what she did to cheese one off that bad...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
How do I call attention to myself? And open myself up to it? I dont really understand what that means. Im interested actually, I dont believe in it really, but it would be fun none the less. Couldnt I just call one a nasty name or something? Or do they have more self-control than I do? heh

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Oh, and I really hope someone answers this: Can a spirit become a demon? Like a normal person, who has passed on, who perhaps harbors extremely negative feelings and acts on them terrorizing people. Do you consider that a demon? If not, then what is a demon and what is it purpose, what sets it apart from a human whose simply passed on?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
can anyone answer my above question?

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Okay. Thank you for clearing up and discriminating among these phenomena which are so hard to pin DOWN.

So, you say, a ghost is like a tape recording of what a spirit did once.

Okay.

And a spirit actually has some brains, memory and skill. Okay.

Have you seen this one? How would you classify it?

This image comes from the Millennium Group in spring 2002.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by irdulili
oh, yea... demons are really nasty. if you're feeling brave, or stupid enough to mess with one, at least protect yourself in some way, erect a circle(if ritual majick is your bag) or cover your nose and mouth so it can't get in. demons also like to screw with emotionally voulnerable people and pose as the deceased. be carefull...

Agree 110% with fact bout demons that can take form of any deceased (like family/friend and so forth)....

But knowing not everyone is Christians ,and i who study spiritual warfare as a Christian know or should know God warns us NEVER to take on any demon on or make up stories (for instance saying a house is haunted),never challenge a demon as you just open doors that should have stayed shut

The reason is that we as man are full of sin & a demon will & can use that against you in warfare,the fact that certain people (even Christians) think there are no such thing as ghosts/spirits are totally incorrect as the bible tells us how many times about spirits/ghost (same thing) for eg some people call The Holy Spirit / Holy Ghost.

The only time we have to fight (warfare spiritually) is when demons do attack a person (possesses) him/her.

We are but flesh and although Jesus gave us the authority over any demon through God,we as flesh cannot seem to grasp the fact that He who is inside of us is much stronger than them who are in the world (spiritual) & trust me you get tough tough ones..they are no jokes ,they don't play they can seriously hurt someone

Then on the good ghost/spiritual thing...be careful cause they (demons) are the BIGGEST betrayers there are & will make you think they mean well,the only spiritual form that mean well is an Angel as when a person dies he will only arise with the 2nd coming..we are being fooled i am being fooled by them

Trust with your WHOLE HEART & SOUL ,you will know (do not even draw a circle around you as that was never given from God as a protection device ,only prayer and faith (AND PUTTING ON THE ARMOUR OF GOD) & the fact that we were released from hell through Christ ,He was not just punished & crucified to death for our diseases & sins ,but went to hell after His death for us as well for 3 days before God resurrected Him

Just what i believe in or my opinion

[edit on 20-11-2004 by ChandlerBing]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
There are so-called "Christians" who do nothing but run and hide their heads while all kinds of cosmic, subjective and spiritual attacks occur, right here.

Am I supposed to applaud?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join