It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A pro-active approach to the Voter ID bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Senator Kinnaird is taking some positive steps to help anyone who might not have the proper ID to vote in the 2016 elections.

During an interview, Kinnaird explained she planned to work with churches and community groups to reach out to people who might lack the required ID. She said that project would be especially challenging for students on college campuses, who may have trouble gathering the needed documents and reaching a Division of Motor Vehicles location to obtain and appropriate ID.

Link to source

After hearing all the reasons why showing proper ID was going to be detrimental to the Democrats way of life, it seems one democrat is taking the bull by the horns. Instead of gathering a group to collectively whine and cry about a bill she didn't like, she decided to do something about it. Kudos to her. These are they type of people that should be in the Senate and House. Even though I am not a democrat, I applaud her efforts.

Now there is no reason for any more apprehension on this bill.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Hummmm, .. . .

Is this really a way to Circumvent the "New REAL I.D. Card" System?

edit on 19-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Circumvent? no, is removes the excuses of those "poor" folks who just don't have the money to get an ID.

If voting is a priority for you, then getting a valid ID should also be a priority since this bill has been passed. (in NC)
And this nice woman is going to ensure that everyone who needs an ID can get one. Just like the free cell phones that are available to them.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I can see only one means of responding to the voter I D laws which have been passed by many of the state legislaures around the country'
First demand that ALL voter ID cards be supplied by the state at state expense.
No my drivers license is not for voting; it is for driving. I paid for it out of my pocket. If it is to be used as ID for voting, it's cost is as good as a poll tax which is illegal.
If the state requires me to have ID in order to excercise my right to vote the state should supply the ID which they require. It should also be used for only one voting cycle which will further decrease voter fraud because I will have to re-register each time I wish to vote and receive a card good only for that voting cycle.
Yes, this will put the financial burden on the state for voter ID cards, but it is their law they are responsible for it's imposition; not those who wish to excercize the right to vote.
If enough people will register and insist upon the state supplying the ID cards which the state requires do not like the law, they can then elect people who will recend these laws.
We are, after all, a notion of laws and we demonstrate our will by excercizing our right to vote.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

I cannot disagree with your logic, but giving us the ability to use our DL for ID as well as a State ID makes a bit more sense. That way, everyone who already has valid ID can use it, and anyone who somehow lacks any form of valid ID can get one from the state, which I agree should be free to the individual. When issued to someone 18 or older.

I was just impressed that this woman decided to do something instead of just talk. I like those kind of folks.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Yes, this will put the financial burden on the state for voter ID cards, but it is their law they are responsible for it's imposition; not those who wish to excercize the right to vote.

Isn't there state taxes?
Financial burdens always end up back on the individual somehow.
Using a drivers license (if a person has one), is just something else that can be used.

Up here, if we don't have picture ID, in some cities, 3 pieces of mail to our (voter registered) address is enough.
Or even someone at the voting station that recognizes you can be ID.

In any case, ID of some sort is always required.

In the US, it seems like some of the people think that no ID of any type should be needed, and the others want one specific ID and to make it as hard as possible to get it

This shouldn't be so hard for a first world country to figure out

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

It is not my intention to make a voter id hard to get. It is my intention to put the onies of implimenting laws which require a "specific voter id card" to be on those who insist on our having one. In some cases these laws were pushed through by one political party regardless of any history of voter fraude and were in areas which had a large minority population which had not voted for them in the last election. I find this both suspect and offensive.
As to the expense of tax payers money for these cards, I say good, it was these same politicians who were screaming about lowering expenditures who passed these laws so they should have to pay for their implimentation so they can realize that every action has it's consiquences.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Poor people have to have ID to apply and receive Food Stamps, Public Housing, Welfare, Medicare, etc. Saying it affects the poor is a myth perpetrated by the left leaning media. If voter ID laws are passed and enforced (which is another problem in liberal cities) it could eliminate enough voter fraud to cause Democrats to lose elections.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Here in Texas we have an annually issued "Voter Registration Card" which is all you need to vote (assuming you're in the computer). Otherwise, you can vote with a water bill, electric bill, etc. as your ID (assuming you're in the computer). Oh man, if you're NOT in the computer, you MIGHT get to vote provisionally - or these days - they might just "register you on the spot" at the county office who notifies the poll workers you're "okay to vote".

The problem is of course, you could live in any county in Texas, be registered in any other county or multiple counties and there's no cross checking to determine that you may have voted multiple times, in multiple jurisdictions. The OTHER problem is that last election, election department officials were handing out voter ID cards to the bus loads of folks coming from Ohio and Illinois to vote in Texas. Really, there were hundreds of folks that did this. In local elections, it's the same problem except folks go back to their home town and vote in elections even though they live in another town or even a different county and MAY vote in those elections as well.

Without a picture ID that has an address - how would the poll workers determine you are who you say you are AND you're legally registered to vote within the legally mandated time frame (typically you have to be registered a certain amount of time BEFORE the early voting starts)?

ganjoa

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

In some cases these laws were pushed through by one political party regardless of any history of voter fraude and were in areas which had a large minority population which had not voted for them in the last election. I find this both suspect and offensive.

The US needs more political parties to lessen the polarity.....

They (both political parties) should be doing some type of massive campaign to make sure that every citizen of age to vote has the means to do so easily. Whether it be ID, or enough time to vote, free transportation to the voting stations. And enough voting stations so they don't need to spend hours in line to vote.

Although, like you said, one side doesn't want the other side to get votes. So they use demographics and statistics against the people. And make it hard.

Confusing system to say the least ......

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Lol, wtf.

People need IDs for everything today. It's not that difficult.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Great idea! This is what everyone should be doing Dems or Rep alike!

And in defense of the voter ID Bill, if someone stole your identity, how would you feel? Well someone once stole my identity to vote one year, after a long hiatus by me. I nearly lost my right to vote, even as I held my up to date registration slip in my hands. But some nice lady heard me complaining near my car and got me set up to vote anyways. Someone was keeping track of those that had a history of not showing up.
edit on 20-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join