NSA broke privacy rules thousands of times per year

page: 1
33
<<   2 >>

log in

join
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

NSA broke privacy rules thousands of times per year


www.washingtonpost.com

The National Security Agency has broken privacy rules or overstepped its legal authority thousands of times each year since Congress granted the agency broad new powers in 2008, according to an internal audit and other top-secret documents.

Most of the infractions involve unauthorized surveillance of Americans or foreign intelligence targets in the United States, both of which are restricted by law and executive order.
(visit the link for the full news article)

More links:
www.businessinsider.com...
inagist.com...
edit on 15-8-2013 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)
edit on 15-8-2013 by IAMTAT because: Links added




posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This is Breaking news from the Washington Post...released tonight. I suppose it was only a matter of time before we found out as fact, what we all assumed would be revealed in time.
Still, the fact remains (as this internal audit reveals) that over two thousand incidents occurred where privacy rules were violated by the NSA.
I'm sure we'll soon be discovering much more as this story continues to unfold.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
MORE:
apps.washingtonpost.com...
edit on 15-8-2013 by IAMTAT because: Link added



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I just wanna come clean now:

Dear NSA,

I know you're reading this, I just want to say that the page I clicked on last year, the one involving the blonde and the horse, It was an accidental click, honestly.

Yours faithfully,

Zcm

In all seriousness, this isn't really surprising news
edit on 15-8-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT


This is Breaking news from the Washington Post...released tonight. I suppose it was only a matter of time before we found out as fact, what we all assumed would be revealed in time.
Still, the fact remains (as this internal audit reveals) that over two thousand incidents occurred where privacy rules were violated by the NSA.
I'm sure we'll soon be discovering much more as this story continues to unfold.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)


But but... This is just a small percentage of Americans. Well worth giving up a few liberties to catch a handful of terrorists, right? Besides, I mentioned that I have the NSA investigating itself this very second! Trust me, I am president and know what is best for you although you may not know it yourself.

Nah I don't agree with this. I was just saving the government some money by writing Obama's next press release.
edit on 15-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
But but but .........terrorists, and terrorism everywhere, an al-ciada........

And the whole industrial military complex that makes quadrillions off the nsa spying.....blackwater, Cheney, Bush, making all that dough as long as terrorism.......



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
WaPo reporting - parroting excuses for the NSA and FISA court.


typographical errors that resulted in unintended interception of U.S. e-mails and telephone calls.


a programming error confused U.S. area code 202 for 20


the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which has authority over some NSA operations, did not learn about a new collection method until it had been in operation for many months.


“We’re a human-run agency operating in a complex environment with a number of different regulatory regimes, so at times we find ourselves on the wrong side of the line,” a senior NSA official said


One in 10 incidents is attributed to a typographical error


Interesting read but I still have no faith in the NSA or their enablers. As far as WaPo is concerned their motives and credibility is currently extremely suspect.



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
I just wanna come clean now:

Dear NSA,

I know you're reading this, I just want to say that the page I clicked on last year, the one involving the blonde and the horse, It was an accidental click, honestly.

Yours faithfully,

Zcm

In all seriousness, this isn't really surprising news
edit on 15-8-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)


Thanks for the laugh in a not so funny affirmation of what we already knew.



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT
 


I think it is a Damn Lie. Those numbers are most certainly padded. Either that or when the audit was done they randomly selected cases.

In any event this is definitely Not a surprise, especially under the current circumstances with Mr. Snowden.

Which got me thinking. .. .

When I was a kid I did something that was really bad. My brother witnessed it and used that evidence to play me like a violin and always threatened to tell my mother if he didn't his way. Anyways, long story short, I went to tell my mother and told her myself because I couldn't stand the torment any longer. The outcome of that was disastrous in the end.

The point is. .. . .. . . WE ARE THE "MOTHER".

It is called Premeditated Damage Control. They wanted to make sure they told us before Snowden did.



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Tempus Fugitive

"Thousands of times per year"? Given the fact that the NSA monitors virtually all the world's major communication streams, I suspect more like thousands of times a second.

In fact, probably on the order of thousands of times a microsecond.



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago


One in 10 incidents is attributed to a typographical error




Here is a list of some of those typographical errors:

Terrorist = Tea Party
Enemy = Romney
Missile= Hastings
Russia = All of America
edit on 15-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
And they are trying to cover their A**. So who is directing this?


In one of the documents, agency personnel are instructed to remove details and substitute more generic language in reports to the Justice Department and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Tempus Fugitive

"Thousands of times per year"? Given the fact that the NSA monitors virtually all the world's major communication streams, I suspect more like thousands of times a second.

In fact, probably on the order of thousands of times a microsecond.
You beat me to it.

On an annal basis, I expect more like millions of times a year, maybe billions, not thousands of times a year.

I can't take "thousands of times per year" seriously.



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT
 


You might want to change your title.

It is clear that they do it millions of times a day. Just sayin'



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
On NPR this morning they said the NSA intercepts 32 petaflops of information not a year not a month not a week but a day. This number is obviously skewed as a pre emptive measure at Damage Control. Gen Hayden when he was in charge of the NSA was warned by his own lawyers the programs were illegal and he disregarded the information and went forward with more intrusive programs anyway. We will never know the truth but it will be shocking. The fact that the secret FISA courts were not informed of some programs is very disturbing. Hell the whole idea of secret courts is upsetting.

As I said in another thread the Who lyric
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" seems to apply to this fiasco.

I simply do not trust the US media to provide unbiased reporting on this matter.

edit on 16-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)
edit on 16-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Oh, thank goodness they violated us.

I feel safe now.



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I wonder to what extent the violation continues. Is the real number the one we just read or maybe is 10/100/1000 times fold...



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
I just wanna come clean now:

Dear NSA,

I know you're reading this, I just want to say that the page I clicked on last year, the one involving the blonde and the horse, It was an accidental click, honestly.

Yours faithfully,

Zcm

In all seriousness, this isn't really surprising news
edit on 15-8-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)


I thought this was only frowned upon, too late to delete my history now though i guess!

Heres another thought, if when captured on CCTV you are allowed to request a copy, since its you. Could i go to the NSA and ask for my browsing history from years ago on a computer that crashed and died? I lost the bookmark to a HILARIOUS pic of a cat in a hat on a mat.



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
In a recent press release, the NSA provided an explanation towards their inate refusal to adhere to the privacy guideleines set forth in the US Constitutioin.


Our bad. Sorry.



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold
On NPR this morning they said the NSA intercepts 32 petaflops of information not a year not a month not a week but a day. This number is obviously skewed as a pre emptive measure at Damage Control. Gen Hayden when he was in charge of the NSA was warned by his own lawyers the programs were illegal and he disregarded the information and went forward with more intrusive programs anyway. We will never know the truth but it will be shocking. The fact that the secret FISA courts were not informed of some programs is very disturbing. Hell the whole idea of secret courts is upsetting.

As I said in another thread the Who lyric
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss" seems to apply to this fiasco.

I simply do not trust the US media to provide unbiased reporting on this matter.

edit on 16-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)
edit on 16-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)


Yeah I had read on one of these stories where the NSA implemented a program months before notifying the courts.. the courts ruled that particular program as unconstitutional .. did the NSA shut it down as a result? .. we will never know.. my hunch? no.

One thing is for certain.. this is a public relations disaster as well as an international disaster.. the whole world is watching as the government gets caught in lies about this... if I were them, I would be very worried.. I don't think they know quite how much has actually been leaked by Snowden to date... the fact they publicly denied any abuses only to have those abuses leaked by way of this internal audit seems to prove that.. so I imagine they will be treading lightly as a result.. especially since other countries are getting a bit riled up about this.

Of course the smart thing to do would be to shut these programs down, but that's not going to happen..



posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You know,

Everybody keeps telling me to trust them, and it's pissing me off!

I just want it on the record for the spooks.

We no longer live in a world where we can "trust but verify", we get that.

The fact that people like Ariel Castro walk around for years, undetected, should slap you right in the head.

Innocent until proven guilty, is not trust by default!

Just knowing that people like him are only the ones that got caught, I just can't be ignorant to the fact that there are so many more like him still stalking the planet!

With that in mind, I'm just not convinced that such a temptation is beyond the reach of someone willing to say "don't tell the boss".

People are VILE, and those exist willing to put you in a cage, and feed you dirt until you die!
Prove me wrong.

There are just too many ways it can be abused, I'm certain it already has.

All the recent targeting wasn't supposed to happen either, but we didn't see you stop any of that.





new topics

top topics



 
33
<<   2 >>

log in

join