It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rowan Williams tells 'persecuted' western Christians to grow up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Medical workers are not there to pick and choose who they want to treat based on their own beliefs. They're there to do their job - which is treating people.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

He's a charlatan, cultural marxist and another example of the failure of 20th / 21st century christianity.

Stuff off Williams you traitor!

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
I am a Christian, and I completely agree with Rowan Williams on this. Persecution has no soft end. There is either terrible persecution, Christians stoned in the streets, butchered by packs of slavering atheists, homosexuals, and persons of other faiths, or there is not.

I'm not going to annoy by reposting your entire post, to which I respond.

Everything you said: I love you.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
reply to post by Cinrad

Medical workers are not there to pick and choose who they want to treat based on their own beliefs. They're there to do their job - which is treating people.

A medical worker's job is to make money. Attempting to legally treat people is the means by which they are able to earn money.

If there were no money, they would not be treating anyone. Who has passion to care without money these days?

A worker's job is to make money. A healer's job is to heal.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

Originally posted by FFS4000
It's to make up for all the laws that used to be in place forcing people to church on a sunday, even if they had no interest in being there

Man I hate talking to people who go to church because they have to or think they have to to please God or to please the memory of a long dead authority figure from their past, those people are dried up old bones, a discredit to Christ. I would be more than happy to get rid of all organized church and let the true Christians shine and the religious ones sink.

I agree and disagree, you cannot lump every soul in the church into one category, and church institution and organizations do a lot of good in my the community. Four churches in our area, which is mostly poor, feed and clothe people and there is the soup kitchen and the church run homeless shelters.

When the atheist take over this mission Christians can step down.

www.persecution.com...
edit on 093131p://bSaturday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So acquiesce to bullying and intimidation? I don't think that's the way we're wired.

At least not me...... those of you who agree with Williams.... go right ahead and enjoy. Sissies. You know the best way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
So acquiesce to bullying and intimidation? I don't think that's the way we're wired.

At least not me...... those of you who agree with Williams.... go right ahead and enjoy. Sissies. You know the best way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them.

Our wiring is against our better judgment, firstly.

Secondly no one says "be a sissy." What I say is "you have seen nothing yet, little baby."

It is a little annoying to hear people whine like little girls when words offend them so easily. The best way to deal with a bully is to put on impenetrable armor. And the only way to put on impenetrable armor is to develop thick skin. Thick skin is a callus that comes by much constant irritation, endurance, and eventually, to maintain the callus, technique. Then the only way one could hurt you is your heart, if they could ever penetrate your skin. Depends on how much willpower you have (or God has for you, which I know is more true, because I used to think I had willpower until many things).

If you play acoustic guitar, you know how it can be painful and the calluses eventually develop, and especially if you're sliding and picking wildly, you can still bleed, but it is hardly a big deal. But if you hand an acoustic guitar to someone who has never played, or even to an electric guitarist, or even someone who is used to small strings and low action; they will enjoy for a few moments and then say, "I don't know how you do that. It just hurts too much after a while."

Because I kept going. I didn't whine when it hurt. I just kept going.

Rip my fingers apart, what do I care? I care about the music, not my skin.

That's the point.

Now playing guitar is more difficult than most "persecution" self-proclaimed Christians suffer today. But it's a million times easier than really being treated like a dog; a cute dog by some, an ugly one by others, but a dog nevertheless.

Of course, these days, people treat dogs real well. We've traded places I suppose.

But at least the humans don't beat us every chance they get over here; not yet. They just demean you until you realize that you are what they think you are, a useless animal.

Then you eventually learn that is what your flesh really is. All it wants is animalistic in nature, really. Once you learn what your house is, then you learn that it is not the house that matters, but what is inside the house that matters.

No bully can take away what is inside of you. Only you even have a chance of removing that, and not easily at that.

Self-proclaimed Christians today live WAY TOO FOCUSED on the flesh. Worried about where you live, what you eat, how much money you make, are you providing enough for your kids, do you drink a beer before you pay the bills, do you do this and that, and the other.

And they use scripture to attack and say, "Bwahah you fail at the law, even what Jesus or Paul or Peter said!" And I say, "Yeah. I fail. Not on purpose. But I fail. Thanks for noticing. I wouldn't have known that you were failing if you didn't just reveal to me by your hypocrisy... but I see that you're failing, too. Well that's good, at least we have God's grace on our side, right? And by the way, my kids don't have to have chocolate milk and chocolate chip pancakes every morning to live. Thanks."

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Thank you for your good post, and I agree with much you said, truly I do. But it's a "pick your battles" situation, and some areas are too important to simply let pass. Look at history, and what has become of groups of people who passively accepted the dogma and indoctrination of others.

As Americans, we have been ingrained with "stand up for what you believe" since we were born, beginning at home with our parents, and continuing through teachers at school. For most of us, it is as much as who we are, as our eye color. There are people who would have us not be this way. Who would have us shut-up, and accept whatever they toss our way.

I'm certainly not talking about picking up a gun, here, nor am I talking about lashing out at every little disagreement or slur. Fighting persecution is not for the thin-skinned.
edit on 8/17/2013 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted for you Aloysius

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

So which is the smart party, here? Is it the atheists, who live short, selfish, stunted little lives – often childless – before they approach hopeless death in despair, and their worthless corpses are chucked in a trench (or, if they are wrong, they go to Hell)? Or is it the believers, who live longer, happier, healthier, more generous lives, and who have more kids, and who go to their quietus with ritual dignity, expecting to be greeted by a smiling and benevolent God?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Christ was a communist.

Capitalism is antichristian.

See? I can make unreasonable statements unsupported by fact as well!
edit on 17-8-2013 by TrueBrit because: corrected punctuation issue.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BellaSabre
Thank you for your good post, and I agree with much you said, truly I do. But it's a "pick your battles" situation, and some areas are too important to simply let pass. Look at history, and what has become of groups of people who passively accepted the dogma and indoctrination of others.

As Americans, we have been ingrained with "stand up for what you believe" since we were born, beginning at home with our parents, and continuing through teachers at school. For most of us, it is as much as who we are, as our eye color. There are people who would have us not be this way. Who would have us shut-up, and accept whatever they toss our way.

I'm certainly not talking about picking up a gun, here, nor am I talking about lashing out at every little disagreement or slur. Fighting persecution is not for the thin-skinned.
edit on 8/17/2013 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

We are in agreement.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

so urce

Fixed your link. Gonna look at it.

edit on 17-8-2013 by wildtimes because: Weird "space" put in where it doesn't belong? Oh well.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
reply to post by Cinrad

Ever heard of the Milgram Experiment?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Thank you, wt, for fixing that pesky link!
Did you get a chance to read it?

Here's another thing people have to realize about where this idea of "persecution" is coming from. It is something inherent to their belief, a tenent of their type of faith. Here is an article from 18 YEARS AGO.

It is the coherence of the Christian Right's cultural institutions and ideological message that makes millions of people want to participate. This is a political movement built on the foundation of some very tightly held religious views. We need to understand the religious sentiments of our fellow citizens.

For evangelical Christians, one of the most politically relevant tenets is the idea that they are being persecuted by secular society. Sacrifice and martyrdom are essential themes of the Christian faith. Translated into right-wing politics, the theme enables people to claim that queers and other minorities are somehow attacking the dominant culture when they demand equality.

We have the most powerful political movement in the country continually claiming to be persecuted by "the left," which the right defines as the Clinton Administration and centrist lobbies like People for the American Way. It is illogical, but the religious persecution theme keeps activists mobilized and enables them to feel comfortable about trying to deprive other people of their civil rights.

source

When those in government or who aspire to govern create a defacto national religion by teaming up with and giving political clout to those certain brands of Christianity that espouse this idea, then those that crave power over and control of citizenry will constantly proclaim they are being persecuted in order to gain sympathy and support.

IMO, when faced with threats from the outside, the American (Far) Left looked inward as to the cause, self searching. (Thus was used the humorous idea of "political correctness" against an insufferable member.) The American (Far) Right, however, when faced with threats from outside placed blame on "the other". It was Communists and Godless people for those on the political and corporate Far Right; the Devil-made-me-do-it and non-Christians or liberal Christians for religious folk.

When those with a mindset to blame others wield power, persecution of others can become rampant. and, if left unchecked, can do as Ghandi said, "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Jesus, also, wanted as much compassion for "the other" as for oneself.

Any religious adherent anywhere who goes overboard on the theme of sacrifice and martyrdom makes the world more dark.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

He's a charlatan, cultural marxist and another example of the failure of 20th / 21st century christianity.

so he follows the example of JC, and is therefore a failure.....OK....

Stuff off Williams you traitor!

One wonders just exactly who he is a traitor to....

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Posted for you Aloysius

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

thanks - did you mean to post something relevant to the OP - perhaps about the x-ian persecution complex - as well??

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Posted for you Aloysius

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

thanks - did you mean to post something relevant to the OP - perhaps about the x-ian persecution complex - as well??

So by the thread posted for you Aloysius, if you don't believe in a fairly tale you are a nut? Hmm, that's interesting. Zombies, cannibalism, slavery, and polygamy here we come I guess... gotta stay sane, right?

Derek

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Viesczy

huh??

What are you talking about?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1

Originally posted by TruthLover557

Honestly, I don't want my money that I am forced to give the government to be put toward funding abortions.

I honestly don't want the money I am forced to give the government used to keep churches tax exempt.
$92 Billion a year. Just because they "believe" something might be out there, and spend all their time telling people that there's a good chance they are right.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike.
$92 Billion a year could fund universal health care.
I'm sure Jesus would approve of that.
The only people who don't approve are those who "don't like that particular bit of the bible."

edit on 16-8-2013 by Badgered1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2013 by Badgered1 because: Syntax

edit on 16-8-2013 by Badgered1 because: (no reason given)

Fine by me. I don't go to church anyway. Also think it would be delightful to see the Church of Scientology, among other groups, lose its tax-exemption status. Yes, $92 billion a year could fund universal healthcare for a day or so, but people will keep dying and the government will keep asking us for more money on the promise that we can keep that from happening. Personally, I would prefer the $92 billion go back to the people who earned the $92 billion. I don't like most of what the government decides to fund with my money.

I'm sure you would know what Jesus would approve of today. Now, tell me, if I don't approve of the government's healthcare or this idea of universal healthcare, what "particular bit of the Bible" do I not like? Fill me in.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Another Christian's viewpoint echoes RW

The other day I saw this tweet by Persecution.org. They tweeted this story as if it happened yesterday. The arrests were in 2011. These men were not sitting in prison or even jail, they were charged with a misdemeanor and that was the end of it. They probably wanted to be persecuted, they perhaps wanted to have a greater story to tell, but the Judge did well in not obliging them with any more attention than they already sucked dry. *note the comments to that tweet, already 70 had RT’d it and others buying the lie that this is a persecution story! Sheesh, people, get a critical thinking cap.

[url=http://news4themasses.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/fake-pastor-arrested-for-preaching-not-guilty-of-misdemeanor-charge-hemetca-calvary-chap/]source[/ url]

ETA sorry, cannot edit out space in last url in link! Post looks fine when constructing, even on edit, but shows up with url space after replying. Sorry!
edit on 25-8-2013 by desert because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join