It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bradley Manning Apologizes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Quote me where I said that, if you would.

You said...

I was inclined to take his word for it when he gave me the immensely sparing answer: "Snowden was a jerk. What he did was stupid and harmful."

"Stupid and harmful" can generally mean "wrong". Given that you took his word for it, what other conclusion was I supposed to draw?

To answer your question, I don't agree with him outright. I acknowledged that he is in a better position for deciding what Snowden's actions have cost the government, and whether it was a worthwhile cost.

He just completed training for the Air Force. How is he in a better position? That's no insult to the Air Force or to your friend, but it's not like he was just accepted into Obama's cabinet or took over as head of the CIA. How does his opinion trump yours?

I also acknowledged that I'm not very "in the know" when it comes to what Snowden revealed, whether it was necessary to reveal it, whether we had anything to worry about, whether it was legal or not, and all of the details in between.

He basically revealed the NSA's fourth amendment-violating surveillance program. I believe that is very necessary to reveal. We should be allowed to know what our government is doing to our rights. Having said that, yes it is "illegal" to release what he released, and if you're thesaneone, that would make it wrong. However, if we just accept everything the government deems illegal, and do nothing about it, how can we remain free?

As such, I was conceding his superiority as far as being a reliable informant goes, in comparison to myself.

What makes him superior? You're entitled to your opinion as well. No one is superior to anyone else.

If nothing else, I was throwing it out there as a "well, this guy is a pretty cool and compassionate character, and he disagrees with what Snowden did, so there's that to consider".

It's fine to consider it, but why let someone else make your opinions and beliefs for you?

I am not in the position to make an informed judgment.

You're not able to form an opinion on how government should behave? As an American citizen (I'm assuming), you're able to and qualified to form that opinion. You don't need an education or some fancy job title to form an opinion.

Neither do I, but even distrust features a rainbow of shades. How far are you willing to distrust them?

I don't trust them at all. 0%. If they're able to get away with violations of liberty, they'll keep doing it, increasingly becoming more tyrannical. That's what I believe, and that's what we have seen to be the case.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaneone
reply to post by DivisiveConformity

What

something illegal is wrong by definition.

Sure. The Nazis told my grandfather and my father the same.
Although I don't like that Nazi card being drawn and drawn again against my country, it fits in this stubborn believing in the system, even if it is plain wrong.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Reduced sentence for people showing acknowledgement and remorse for the crime committed.
is he truly sorry? who knows, but this is just a legal tactic. Question / Answer.

Now

Should he get a reduced sentence? its difficult to say actually. although people like him have done the people a favor by at least shedding light on the sheer amount of secrets being kept (low level or not is beside the point), a soft sentence would encourage more to risk it and potentially cause national security issues.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Do you think this apology is genuine?

And why are his cross-dressing and gender-identity issues relevant to any of this? Is this dirt that was dug up to discredit him or did his emotional/identity issues affect his behavior and actions?

On a similar note, were the rape allegations the attempt to discredit Assange or does he too have emotional issues?

I wonder what we will learn about Snowden in the future.

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

His own defense is using the cross dressing argument to defend him so stop trying to twist it as dirt digging.

The punk that betrayed his nation finally sheds a tear and expresses remorse. It's about damn time.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said the only currency the military will take is Manning's humiliation, and he believed the apology was forced.

Source

It was his own statement not under oath, he cannot be cross examined on anything he said in his apology. He chose to make the statement. His corrupter is fuming mad but that's to be expected.

Oh and piss off if you don't like the source I provided.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
nevermind...

opps (Hmm ATS needs a delete post button)...
edit on 15-8-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
nevermind...

opps (Hmm ATS needs a delete post button)...
edit on 15-8-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

Coward. Your post was good. Though I think, what US Americans say and think will be less important in the near future. Everybody sees now that you are not only the bullies on this planet, but even betray your closest friends.
You will see the world's blank popo more often now, I guess.

The more people like you should not be afraid to voice their opinion.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

His own defense is using the cross dressing argument to defend him so stop trying to twist it as dirt digging.

Well, I wasnt aware of that.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivisiveConformity

Oh and piss off if you don't like the source I provided.

Yeah, given the source you provided, it's no wonder your opinion is what it is.

Your avatar is ironic, by the way.

It was a preemptive comment for posters like you. Hook, line, sinker.
I could have just used Al Jazeera for the warm fuzzy feely effect the same info would have provided for you.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

It was a preemptive comment for posters like you. Hook, line, sinker.

If you hadn't made your preemptive comment, I wouldn't have said anything. So, you really only hooked yourself. Good job.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Tinfoil is always hooking up himself.

It does not matter, in which thread he appears. I guess, he is just an anti-American who tries to undergo every patriot feeling and movement. Probably an agent from Russia or China. He sure is here to make the world aware how stupid the USAmerican politics are.

/Sarcasm off/
edit on 15-8-2013 by Siddharta because: deleted a u

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
MOD NOTE:

Just a friendly reminder to focus on the topic instead of each other.

Let's play nice and remember to discuss- not battle.

Post removals will continue unless we can get back on topic.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Genuine? I dunno, I'd have to see video of his apology but chances are his lawyers highly advised he do it in hopes of gaining some kind of leniency.

So wait... he was a cross dresser? I didn't know that but at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me nor does it change my opinion of him but to answer your question, yes it was dug up to use against him. That's standard operating procedure.
edit on 15-8-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siddharta
Tinfoil is always hooking up himself.

It does not matter, in which thread he appears. I guess, he is just an anti-American who tries to undergo every patriot feeling and movement. Probably an agent from Russia or China. He sure is here to make the world aware how stupid the USAmerican politics are.

/Sarcasm off/
edit on 15-8-2013 by Siddharta because: deleted a u

To get back on topic, I don't care how sorry he is, he doesn't deserve to be set free to live off the hero worship he is receiving for, in his own words "harm caused" to his nation.

He had baggage in his closet and by his own apology even now, he seems to really care if he gets to go to college. He probably had the same concerns to be able to go to college when the wiki leaks agents came a knockin. His defense should have used that angle, even when he was still spewing Assange's anti American brainwashing garbage that he was pumped full of at the beginning of his trial.
edit on 15-8-2013 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
There are no wikileaks agents. This is more the government kind. He simply was an honest kid and talked like his mouth was grown.
He did good to the world and it is unbelievabel that a nation should try to get rid of a kid that speaks out loud what he has learned.

You don't earn such kids in the USA if you put them into the broom closet. You don't deserve anything but opposition indeed.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

There are no wikileaks agents.

Oh, they apparently roam freely in mother Russia.
Snowden had one holding his hand when he left the Russian airport.

Snowden, whose revelations have fueled a debate in the United States about civil liberties and national security needs, was accompanied by Sarah Harrison, a WikiLeaks legal researcher

Source

One little line in that exhaustive story tells more than all the other paragraphs in it.

Care to retract your statement?

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
No, why should I? It is only natural, that they try to work together. That doesn't make them agents.

I would join them freely against your bad ideology either.

You really should change your avatar. Or are you trying to catch the sheeple?
edit on 15-8-2013 by Siddharta because: deleted an a

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

No, why should I? It is only natural, that they try to work together. That doesn't make them agents.

I would join them freely against your bad ideology either.

You really should change your avatar. Or are you trying to catch the sheeple?
edit on 15-8-2013 by Siddharta because: deleted an a

Then you would be an agent to add to their other agents.
Won't retract will you, hahaha. Love it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join