It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pareidolia or Holy Hell that's a scary Ghost.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
A wedding Day photo from the year 1942, taken with a box camera.

Hoax?
Pareidolia?
Ghost?

This is a photo of my aunt's wedding day. The year was 1942, and the photo was taken with a box camera. On some of my feedback I'm told it's not really there! Well, I know it is. This picture has been passed down. Please give me some feedback. I would like too see what everone thinks. It was taken in Jasper, Alabama......
These pictures were taken before I was born -- that's a long time ago. And when I saw the photos they have never changed. There is a lot about this picture no one can explain, and I think it's something paranormal.-- Liz

paranormal.about.com...

Talk to me

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

If its a fake then its a fake...but if its real then that is one scary ghost, it looks like a female ghost and its reaching out towards the young bride as if to say Nooooooooo....don't marry him!!!! I wonder how the newlyweds fared through the years???? Is there any info about the young couple in the photo???

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing, very interesting photo.

There was some discussion concerning this on a previous ATS thread, nothing to conclude on.

Wedding Day Ghost?

Guns

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Interesting photo, thanks for sharing with us. However, I would most likely assume it's double exposure before jumping to more fantastic explanations. Older developing techniques were highly prone to double exposure. Perchance would you have other pictures from these set of photographs? You may be able to check them to see if there is one that matches the pose of the "ghost".

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Wow! That thing is scary.
I generally don't believe in ghosts, but I don't think this is a case of pareidolia - but more likely a hoax or at least a combination. There is definitely something up in that tree. The white part, which could be a sheet or something similar, has a clear shape to it, which is most clear when you look at the bottom part sticking out behind the tree.
The face could be generated by pareidolia, but it's a hard to call.
Could also be photo manipulation, but it's well done if it is - not impossible, but well done indeed.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I don't think anything paranormal is going on that it is pareidolia and I have several reasons why I think this. The first, in your second set the "ghost" has less facial definition than the one that is more zoomed in does. Typically with zoom image quality, clarity and definition degrade not get more defined notice how the "eyes" get darker. It is my opinion that when the image is being processed it is adding these features that makes the image look the way it does... I mean you aunts face wasn't half skeletal on her wedding day was it? The processing made it skeletal by trying to make sense of what is around it. That removes the eyes and hair from this "ghost" the processing blended the tree with the material in the tree and half your aunts face, it's why both look the way they do, and get more defined when zoomed,

Next, what would appear to be the "ghosts" right arm is actually part of your aunts dress look at her other shoulder it has the same "wing" so that removes an entire arm from this "ghost" so now we have a "ghost with no eyes, no hair and no right arm no face. It's a pareidolia, a very eerie looking one but still not a ghost.

The question becomes well, what is that in the tree? Making up what looks like a dress or night gown? In doing so a full debunk can occur, sadly the original image is so small it is hard to give a definite but still it falls into the same color range as the sky, and you can make out what appears to be the trunk of a smaller tree to the right of the larger, it appears to be the sky through leaves and branches that make up the gown or dress, and in my opinion that is exactly what it is as it zooms it too gets magnified out of proportion when processing tries to render the detail. Another possibility it's Alabama they are in field, and it could be a bit of wind blown cotton caught in the trees, that processing makes appear larger than it actually is.

When I went to college in Alabama I saw tons of wind blown cotton stuck on the sides of the road, in ditches, in trees, surrounding the cotton fields it looked like melting snow at first glance. So there is that possibility as well.

So in my opinion pareidolia created by zoom processing, a very creepy pareidolia, but a paredolia nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Pareidolia.
A strong case of it.
Or a good [HOAX].

It is a nice picture, though.
We only see what we want to see, this showing a great example of it.
I do actually believe in souls and things of that nature, having witnessed strange things myself.
But I don't believe this is a picture of one although the internets would have you believe otherwise.
The details are very clear, and look really good...but I'm not convinced.

Just like all the things we "see" from the extremely powerful cameras on Mars.
In my humble opinion, they are all objects we wish to see, rather than the objects themselves.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Probably a mixture... Does look alot like a double exposure, and it's strange that it gets clearer once being more zoomed in and usually the opposite happens. It's like someone's seen it pareidolicly then decided to enhance it once scanned, effectively turning it into a hoax.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
If real that is probably the best ghost pic I have seen. Very scary but very cool. I would also like to know how the marriage went.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Crikey zazz !!

It's bedtime here !

That is one evil image ! I take it she has passed ! ( no disrespect )

What is your families take on this ?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm going to go a different route and say it was possibly a real person trying to be funny and be in the picture.

Perhaps the first ever recorded photo bomb?

She even is wearing a similar dress, just without a belt. I also did not think the person looks scary. just looks like photo or film degeneration. But I am no way an expert. Just not scary to me.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

1942 photobomb?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I am going to say it is a hoax.

It just looks to me like as the picture is zoomed in, more detail comes out, and as it does, it looks almost like it is smudged or distorted and blended a little, but that is just from eyeballing it.

s&f for an interesting photo

edit on 14-8-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I learn to the side of manipulation of the photo.The ghosts hands and face look altered,and too good in a way.
Very spooky shot anyway.
It reminded me of the "demon dog"photo,you may have seen it:

Creepy or what?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

It is a twin and the side of the woman she is touching is turned skeletal in the photo.

What does it mean, was it a twin that died, why are they dressed the same except the belt the hair is the same, only the expressions differ, a feeling of desperation on the part of the tree woman. They seem to be the same person.

The cameras from those days were quit simple, I doubt it was caused by the camera.

What kind of life did the Aunt live? was she happy? Did the marriage go well?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The cameras of that time required longer exposure to get shots, and the negatives were easy to tamper with. I don't think it would have been hard at all to hoax a photo that old. There's good historical examples of it too, like those girls with the fairies, or this UFO above some trees that turned out to be a button superimposed and a chemical burn in the negative.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Wow this gave me chills. I personally have seen things show up in photos (although not this clear or scary). I fully believe in all kinds of stuff like this. However, that doesn't mean that I believe all of it is real. Given the fact that this is a wedding photo, I would assume that not too many people would want to ruin it. Saying that, I think this could be the genuine thing, unless years later using a computer someone modified it. But we would have to check out the original photo.

I wonder if they knew it was there?
edit on 14-8-2013 by Altair909 because: Forgot signature

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Also I noticed that the picture seems to be stretched, if you look at the center picture, the girl is wider than in the original, and really, there is no way you could get that much detail on the face of the thing behind her in the tree without doctoring it considering how old the photo is and from looking at the original photo just in that post.

I did a search online, and found this photo to be on a couple of ghost sites, but I just think it was doctored up and someone enhanced and distorted the face, although the rest is probably a sheet.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
If real I could not help but notice a facial similarity to the girl though the hair is white wisp's and it looks old, may be either trying to protect her, the scream like expression worry's a bit, some background on the family and the following years my be interesting but spooky though I have seen scarier in real life.
An old photographic technique called double exposure can also replicate this pretty well.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Kind of looks like the bride...I'm going with double exposure or some other camera anomoly.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join