It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"What am I being arrested for?" "Because you're a ******** mutt!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

In a repudiation of a major element in the Bloomberg administration’s crime-fighting legacy, a federal judge has found that the stop-and-frisk tactics of the New York Police Department violated the constitutional rights of minorities in New York, and called for a federal monitor to oversee broad reforms.

A victory against institutional racism, hopefully the decision is not overturned upon appeal, and Bloomberg is most definitely going to appeal.

In a blistering decision issued on Monday, the judge, Shira A. Scheindlin, found that the Police Department had “adopted a policy of indirect racial profiling” that targeted young minority men for stops. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said the city would appeal the ruling, angrily denouncing the judge for deliberately not giving the city “a fair trial.”

Not giving a fair trial!? What a pig that man along with Police Commissioner Ray Kelly are. And Obama wants to put Kelly as Secretary of Homeland Security? Ugh!

*Warning vulgar language*

Published on Oct 9, 2012
A secret audio recording of a stop-and-frisk in action sheds unprecedented light on a practice that has put the city's young people of color in the NYPD's crosshairs. Read the full story at: www.thenation.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I can imagine just how angry a person I'd be if everytime I was in a public place, I was likely to be pulled up by police because I was too pale for the neighbourhood. These cops aren't keeping the streets safe, they are just pissing off the inhabitants, and getting relief from their life stresses via the job.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

It's worse than that, they are instructed to do this from their higher-ups.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I know what I'm about to say is unpopular, but it's still the truth so I'll say it anyways: There's a reason why they're profiled. Any statistic will show you that. Is it fair to those who are law abiding citizens? Absolutely not. But the anger should be geared towards their own community who keeps this going. Yes, I'm talking about the black community.

Throughout high school, my black classmates were in and out of trouble constantly. Many friends I made weren't there for graduation because they followed a different path. It isn't their fault, they're raised listening to rap that glorifies crime. Being a criminal "gangster" is in, it's "tough".

The fact is, the majority of "gangsters" are black or Hispanic. I can also see that there are many officers (and others) who allow their biases to get the better of themselves.

My 0.2 Amero's of course.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wow, that's pretty damning evidence there. But like someone on ATS already said, "They aren't even trying to hide it anymore."

Enough already, where's Chip Foose? Overhaulis politicus no?

Probably at the Ron Paul Institute of Peace ad Prosperity.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Already posted Stop and frisk laws

as in there, this isn't really a victory, all its saying is they can't target people for race, so still can stop and frisk, just have to violate rights equally...

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by Kali74

I know what I'm about to say is unpopular, but it's still the truth so I'll say it anyways: There's a reason why they're profiled. Any statistic will show you that. Is it fair to those who are law abiding citizens? Absolutely not. But the anger should be geared towards their own community who keeps this going. Yes, I'm talking about the black community.

Throughout high school, my black classmates were in and out of trouble constantly. Many friends I made weren't there for graduation because they followed a different path. It isn't their fault, they're raised listening to rap that glorifies crime. Being a criminal "gangster" is in, it's "tough".

The fact is, the majority of "gangsters" are black or Hispanic. I can also see that there are many officers (and others) who allow their biases to get the better of themselves.

There is a youth culture in minority (and poor) communities that favors crime and such behavior that needs to be discussed.
The culture is in the poor communities (for obvious reasons). This is a discussion with a ton of merit to be discussed. Sadly, race inevitably gets brought up every time I seen it mentioned because blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately poor also. This then feeds into stereotyping said ethic groups and turns into a bit of a loop.

We need to first understand the poorest youthful white kids are just as destructive as any other..there just isn't a lot of them to begin with. Not every poor black or Hispanic is a gangster, etc...so even in that there is a generalization. But either way, the culture itself is to blame, fueled on by the lack of decent role models and the like.

So, I am actually kind of agreeing with you. Profiling isn't just a random grabbing based on distaste of a skin tone, it is targeting a culture moreso than a color...or at least that's what its meant to be.

Last point though...

This whole profiling and all that came about because the west lost their head during 9/11
the hijackers and such were dressed up very nicely...so, if this is all about the terrorists, it would be more beneficial to stop the guy in a nice button down shirt than someone with a neck tattoo..

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Even if these fine police officers are ordered to profile people, they can at least treat those they question with respect. Their attitude is a disgrace.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

My post was more to do with the video, thus the title but I wanted to add in the court ruling yesterday so that people would know there's at least some that are fighting back and gaining ground. Yes, there's a long way to go here.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Another eye opening video.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by Kali74

Apparently you've never heard of the Italian Mafia.

Or the Irish Mafia.

Or the Russian Mob...

Or the Jewish Mob...

Or the....

And if you had "black friends" or "black classmates" growing up that you watched get sucked into a life of crime, I'll eat my underwear.

Perhaps that seems overly critical or suspicious, with little reasoning, but allow me to explain: You either grew up / went to school in the suburbs, or in the city. If it was in the suburbs, you probably had a minimum of black classmates, and they were probably given the same kind of middle class upbringing you got-- which makes them less likely candidates for a criminal lifestyle.

If you lived in the city, not only would you realize that there is no real shortage of "white gang bangers" (and no, I don't mean "the mob") but you also would have seen that some of those black kids in the city gave it their all and rose above their ghetto upbringing, even if not all of them did-- but you most assuredly would have understood that the real connection to crime was poverty and not race.

That's why I'm betting you grew up in the suburbs. Or at the worst an affluent section of a city.

Either way, your story sounds implausible, and having myself both grown up in a nice white suburb, as well as lived in one of the nastiest ghettos in my area, I can tell you have the kind of ignorance-based education one gets from too much TV, hollywood, and biased media.

PS-- In some locales, white gangs have become quite popular-- as you pointed out, influenced by hip hop, hollywood, etc etc. Blacks are not the only ones susceptible to this influence.

top topics

join