It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There's already a thread...."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It is getting to where about half the threads I click on and read end up being dupes of another thread (or spate of them).

At some point it must be decided that the ATS Search just doesn't work. Or, perhaps put up a primer on the best way to utilize the search. I would be curious to see the stats on the rate of dupe thread closures from when we used the Google search to the custom built search.

On a side note: were it not for those dupe threads, I never would have seen the information. So it isn't like the dupe thread issue is a bad deal, as it further spreads information. But the indignant behavior of some ATSers is absolutely frustrating to see, when we all know the search engine is blind.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

ATS is going through a major redesign. All parts of ATS are getting an upgrade and I would assume that means search as well.

We routinely close duplicate threads and then link to the originals. That way you can still get that content while being able to discuss it.

To be honest I have no real problems with search, unless the member in question, changed the title of the article. Which for any forum outside of BAN, that's perfectly acceptable.

I would suggest entering the first few sentences of the article you are searching for with " " marks.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yea, this should probably be in Rant instead of Board Bus.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
ask.abovetopsecret.com...

I use this search function. I HATE the other 'new' one. It doesn't want to work for me.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I don't understand the issue with Samuru Search, it has always worked for me when I type in the relevant keywords for what I ma looking for. Adding quotes can hurt or help depending on what you're looking for, but beyond that, I don't get the issue at all.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I don't post a lot of threads. So i can't say much about it.

In any event....this is mostly be griping about members adding their only input as "already posted". Or worse, the outright snotty comments.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I don't understand the issue with Samuru Search, it has always worked for me when I type in the relevant keywords for what I ma looking for. Adding quotes can hurt or help depending on what you're looking for, but beyond that, I don't get the issue at all.

Springer...

This.

I personally think people don't even use the search since it is just "understood" that the ats engine is broken...

When its not people just have to say " searched and didn't find it" for a few more stars and flags.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Springer...

could we please have a script that takes the key words from the tittle,
and adds them to a thread data base.

if a person starts a thread and tittles it,
when they click out of the thread tittle box an auto script runs a match to existing threads with matching key words
if the exact match is found an icon pops up with a link to samuri search results page with matches to cheack against

any who thats what i would do

xp

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Springer...

Dude, I know this is your site,

And its a truly amazing site,

but you have to accept that while yes you have crated a fantastic site that i truly love

the new search function its just awful and lots of members just hate it.

Cant we just have old search back?

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
There's already threads about this

Here

Here

And here

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

That's funny

But I too think that Samuru is broken. Just as bad as the last search function.

I still use it though because occasionally I'm lucky and don't do a double thread. But it still happens from time to time. The Mods catch it more often than not.

Though I did have one thread removed by a Mod due to duplication, and the thing is, mine was posted first. That was annoying.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

you think you're really funny....

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I'm just here for the beer...

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Springer...

In searching for certain threads that I know exist, I have used a variety of keywords (and least half a dozen variations with different words, etc) that I recall were both in the title and/or the OP, and nothing came up in the first two pages. I did the same search search on Google with the keywords, added ATS, and on first try got the thread I was seeking on the first 2-3 matches on the first page.

That is my problem with Samaru. Unless I know the EXACT thread title, it doesn't help. :/

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but one really simple thing that would improve the functionality of the search feature immensely is to be able to sort search results by date. This would help reduce duplicates on subjects that might be ongoing. So if new developments occur regarding say NSA spying, you could sort by date to see if the newest threads on the subject include those breaking developments or not.

Forgive me if that's been suggested or integrated with the new features (and I just haven't seen it yet).

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Is there a way to search for only the thread title? I just searched for this thread title EXACTLY, and got 50 hits!
Only one of them is this thread.

snrRog

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

The 'new' ATS will include a feature that you'll very much enjoy then

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

The new search function is broken. imo

I guess I can just ignore it and get "There's already a thread...."

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

It works for me 75% of the time. I don't know why it doesn't work the other 25% (operator error).

-SAP-
edit on 9-8-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I can type "lets end the fantasy" as the first 4 words in a thread I authored in Samuru search or whatever it is called. I can end up with the same quotations in a post about anomalies on mars with only the op and no other posts under the title and the same words 'lets end the fantasy' not everyone remembers exactly what it was they were searching for to find a thread they didnt sub to and if this happens for a simple vulger non sense post of mine I can imagine what it does when typing in other news headlines. I have tried it a few times with mixed results even including a news headline and nothing relevant other than quotes about chinese this and that scandal in an alien and ufo thread when I was talking about a political scandal. Sometimes I think it just does what it wants, kind of like the honey badger

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join