It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need An Effective Deterrent for Mountain lions from Our Property

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

Well it sounds like your shop is just on the way to the sheep buffet. They probably have a much bigger problem with them than you do and would probably partner up with you to handle costs if money is an issue.

I would think some motion lights with maybe some motion activated sound alarms would be enough make them take a different route to the sheep buffet. They want to avoid human contact, just make going another way easier for them. I would also do some brush trimming on my property to make it less inviting for them to prowl through. The more wide open your property is with less places to hide, critters will look elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Could you put up some bright motion activated lights and possibly rig them up to a sound source to spook them off?

I am completely blanking on the name of the agency I think you should contact, but I'm sure you can figure it out. This is irritating me, I need to find my restart button.

I thought Semper was joking, but apparently that man knows something about asses. Takes one to know one I guess. Annnnd I'm banned. What a weird thing that they actually hard charge mountain lions.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Tee tree oil is expensive and the thought of rain washing it away - probably not feasible if don't want to spend thousands. I would say urine from an animal that the mountain lion would stay away from (not sure which one this would be). Let us know when you find a solution as it would be helpful to many who live on ranches, farms, or just in their territory.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
A Mountain Lion is an Apex Predator and odor is not a deterrent. It will give way to a Grizzly, but I don't think that's an option in this case

If it is after the Sheep, not much you can do unless you want to shoot it. As I understand it Mountain Lions were so overprotected in California they are even causing issues in the larger cities, right along with the Coyote's.

If it makes a habit of visiting, I'd get together with Animal Control and your neighbor with the Sheep. Otherwise take care with your pets and be alert. Mountain Lions don't have much interest in prey that causes and issue. You may have already found out that usually just facing it, waving your arms and screaming will make it leave and look for less troublesome food. They are opportunists looking for easy prey.

Young children could be at risk however. If you have kids in the area and since your neighbor has livestock, think about Animal Control IMO. They have likely dealt with this before.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Again, thanks everyone for such great ideas. I'm getting the idea that these cats are pretty much less understood in our own country than the more exotic African cats. Trying to find documentaries on you tube was a hoot! Had to go back to Marlin Jennings and Wild Kingdom episodes! LOL! Well we are going to stay at the shop maybe as early as Thursday night but definitely the weekend and I will keep you posted. What we have access to immediately is motion activated scare crow ( Our Halloween Star of the Porch: Headless Harry), ammonia, ur own urine and lights. I have to say that after battling house cats invading our mobile home in the same town, we are not convinced of the urine deterrent. We bought a lion urine based spray to deter the cats from our mobile home and all it did was attract them!
I want you guys to know that I had thought of the possiblility of a bobcat but after a lot of time studying videos and other sights, we have come to the conclusion that it was a mountain lion....and that even if it wasn't we think that preparing for the worst is the better bet. And don't worry about our pets. We don't have a dog, we never bring our house cat to the shop (because we have so much decon out to eliminate rodents...sorry guys but if not for that we would be over run), and our parrotlet is tucked away in a locked barn at night when we stay there, otherwise the bird is at home.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The house across the creek from us with all the sheep is the most obvious source of attraction, but the length of the creek in town limits is full of people with livestock such as chickens, horses, goats, etc. And the County has restricted fencing in that they require a 2ft high open space the length of your fence as a flood control measure. So no one really wants to contact authorities. That type of fence won't keep anything out and critters are less a worry that tweakers or vagrants who use the creek as a highway, just as the animals do. All things considered I'd much rather the cat just decide to go away rather than kill it ourselves or call the regular departments.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Now you know what food they like as a treat, why not create them their own little rose crop away from your own?

As to the OP's mountain lion problem, couldn't an alternate food source be left out for them away from your property? Mountain lions have got to eat too.

edit on 7-8-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by elouina

Now you know what food they like as a treat, why not create them their own little rose crop away from your own?

As to the OP's mountain lion problem, couldn't an alternate food source be left out for them away from your property? Mountain lions have got to eat too.

Well, no. What we are guessing is that there are so many deer around here that they may be dragging their own kill to save it for later. Yet we have never smelled the death smell. We have been here nearly three years and this is our first encounter. I am really hoping this is a random drop in. However I think I will be investing in some bear pepper spray and making sure we have some stout walking sticks.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I wonder how a variation on an electric cattle fence might do.

Perhaps as a 'training' setup . . . with some rabbits as bait in a protected but seemingly accessible pen inside a perimeter of electric fence. . . set on a heavy duty big bull setting.

Alternately . . . motion sensor and/or weight-of-mountain-lion sensor . . . at likely entry points . . . electrically tied to a very loud harsh noise.

Alternately . . . a pack of 3-4 extremely large mastiff dogs . . . particularly the sheep protecting fierce types from Europe.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Hello Miss Vicky!

You would be best off using a directed electromagnetic wave device that operates at a frequency and amplitude that the Mountain Lion finds unbearable.

be warned, such a device may be restricted depending on your local laws.

Your other option is purchasing a pet bear or harvesting cat urine from a Bigger, Badder mountain lion.

Best of luck!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by teachtaire
Hello Miss Vicky!

You would be best off using a directed electromagnetic wave device that operates at a frequency and amplitude that the Mountain Lion finds unbearable.

be warned, such a device may be restricted depending on your local laws.

Your other option is purchasing a pet bear or harvesting cat urine from a Bigger, Badder mountain lion.

Best of luck!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Yes, I will be "vanished" if I posted where you could steal such an unguarded device. GLHF. On a happier note, now I can calculate how much GDP is being expended on shills for this site.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

I wonder how a variation on an electric cattle fence might do.

Perhaps as a 'training' setup . . . with some rabbits as bait in a protected but seemingly accessible pen inside a perimeter of electric fence. . . set on a heavy duty big bull setting.

Alternately . . . motion sensor and/or weight-of-mountain-lion sensor . . . at likely entry points . . . electrically tied to a very loud harsh noise.

Alternately . . . a pack of 3-4 extremely large mastiff dogs . . . particularly the sheep protecting fierce types from Europe.

________________________an acre of land covered in road base is a different environment. There are no small game to hunt, we have eliminated them. We are shop people...mechanics, sales, retail even. For us to even own one Mastiff dog is outside our radar...but a good idea to keep in mind should we ever rise to that challenge!

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
bear traps

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

net.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
Just what I have been thinking you scoundrel! Hahahaha! Now I am off in search of the Bigger, Badder
mountain lion from which I will harvest its' pee as I don't own that particular electromagnetic wave device you mentioned.

Hmmmm

Can I watch?

Never know when one might need to know how to harvest humongous mountain lion pee.

Besides . . . it could be an interesting dance . . .

or would that be . . . chase and counter chase?

Sounds like a good Laurel & Hardy skit, to me.

Or THE THREE STOOGES.

I suppose one could just introduce Chuck Norris to the Big Humongous Mt Lion and the critter would crawl up slowly in a kowtow'd posture and pee in the cup for you.

LOLOLOL.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Hmmmmmm . . . I wonder if you could rig some motion detectors up to a system of air hoses . . . and release valves . . . to cause the nearest release valve to let air out with a loud hiss.

it might sound enough like a snake or just plain uncomfortable on it's own to scare the lions away.

Install some cameras to check on effectiveness and the cat's reactions.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Rig your motion detector up to a recording of a guard mule. A mule can kill a cat with one kick. They won't like that sound and will likely stay away.

Otherwise, don't worry too much. Chances are, the cougar will never give you so much as a problem. Just don't get between it and its food source (the sheep). Perhaps suggest to the sheep rancher he buy an actual guard mule if heis losing livestock.

At any rate, good luck.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Like a coyote, mountain lions prefer to not be seen by humans. So shooting them is incredibly difficult. I do a lot of hunting and have only seen a handful of coyotes in my life. I have never seen a mountain lion, although I have seen signs of them many times.

Good luck. I have no idea how to deter them other than a donkey (donkeys will stomp the crap out of them....very entertaining to see if you like seeing a mountain lion get whats coming to them).

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Originally posted by missvicky
Just what I have been thinking you scoundrel! Hahahaha! Now I am off in search of the Bigger, Badder
mountain lion from which I will harvest its' pee as I don't own that particular electromagnetic wave device you mentioned.

Hmmmm

Can I watch?

Never know when one might need to know how to harvest humongous mountain lion pee.

Besides . . . it could be an interesting dance . . .

or would that be . . . chase and counter chase?

Sounds like a good Laurel & Hardy skit, to me.

Or THE THREE STOOGES.

I suppose one could just introduce Chuck Norris to the Big Humongous Mt Lion and the critter would crawl up slowly in a kowtow'd posture and pee in the cup for you.

LOLOLOL.

edit on 7-8-2013 by missvicky because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join