It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep paralysis only while taking naps!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It happened last week. I "woke up" and I can feel my body/soul coming out. My room looks exactly the same. I'm still attached to my body but I'm trying to float away in my room. I'm trying to tell myself to go back into my body but its very hard. Then something is moving my left leg and my arms...I couldn't see anything but I could feel it. And the strangest thing happened. This weird sloppy red handwriting appears over my closet and starts spelling out weird sentences and they keep scrolling right to left...I can't remember what they said because it moved so fast.

I don't get SP at night like I used to, but only during the day I get SP. I try to sleep only 15 or 30 min. if I sleep longer than that, I suffer. If I do get SP I wake up with a huge headache and reality takes time to come back.

Why is it that It only happens to me while during the day?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
From what I understand about SP it occurs most often when the sleeper hasn't yet entered deep sleep.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua
From what I understand about SP it occurs most often when the sleeper hasn't yet entered deep sleep.

Come to think of it, all of my sleep paralysis incidents occurred while I was napping and in more than half of them I was lucid dreaming which is not the norm for me.In fact last week this happened and while my body was reacting with terror to a perceived threat my mind was calmly trying to snap me out of it. I woke up in a calm mental state whith my heart racing and my lower body still completely relaxed (not numb, just completely relaxed).

That was a really strange experience..

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You need to see a doctor and be checked for narcolepsy. A 15-30 minute nap should not be long enough to enter REM sleep, which is required for sleep paralysis to occur in normal people. As a matter of fact, the test for Narcolepsy is a series of naps, and if the person goes into REM sleep a certain number of times during those naps, they are considered positive.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Actually that's why I limit myself to that amount of time because if I sleep MORE than 30 minutes like say an hour, I get SP.

I never thought about narcolepsy

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Midnight13

Sleep Paralysis is a symptom of Narcolepsy:
Mayo Clinic: Narcolepsy Symptoms

Sleep paralysis. People with narcolepsy often experience a temporary inability to move or speak while falling asleep or upon waking. These episodes are usually brief — lasting one or two minutes — but can be frightening. You may be aware of the condition and have no difficulty recalling it afterward, even if you had no control over what was happening to you.
This sleep paralysis mimics the type of temporary paralysis that normally occurs during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the period of sleep during which most dreaming occurs. This temporary immobility during REM sleep may prevent your body from acting out dream activity.
Not everyone with sleep paralysis has narcolepsy, however. Many people without narcolepsy experience some episodes of sleep paralysis, especially in young adulthood.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
For some reason, I think napping is more correlated for it just for the sheer fact that you are not sleeping for as extensive as an amount of time you would be if you were going to sleep for the night. It's also limiting you from entering REM because you haven't really dipped yet into the deeper parts of the cycle within a few minutes. I've also noticed that if you sleep on your stomach, it is less likely to happen if at all. If you sleep on your back, try napping while rolling over and see if there is any difference.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Myomistress
For some reason, I think napping is more correlated for it just for the sheer fact that you are not sleeping for as extensive as an amount of time you would be if you were going to sleep for the night. It's also limiting you from entering REM because you haven't really dipped yet into the deeper parts of the cycle within a few minutes.

Your REM Latency should not be “a few minutes” unless you are sleep deprived. You should not be going into REM during a nap, and again that is how it is tested for with an MSLT (Multiple Sleep Latency Test).

Originally posted by Myomistress
I've also noticed that if you sleep on your stomach, it is less likely to happen if at all. If you sleep on your back, try napping while rolling over and see if there is any difference.

That sounds a lot more like positional sleep apnea, which can also cause Sleep Paralysis by waking you rapidly from REM sleep. It also can cause you to be sleep deprived which in turn can cause you to have a shortened REM latency.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

It doesn't really matter which way I sleep. It does happen more when I sleep on my back, but thats my normal position. I tried sleeping on my side but i still had it.

now this is turning into more of a medical discussion and not a paranormal one

I get sleepy after i've been awake a few hours in the morning, tired during the day...i know i get 8 hours and i dont wake up at night a lot...

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
wow I have to keep on eye on this thread. I sleep poorly and only seem to dream when I nap now, and boy are they vivid. I have only had SP a few times and it seemed like it was because I was trapped in the dream and couldn't wake up.
I have started to wonder about narcolepsy too. Is it caused by poor sleep at night? not getting enough REM time? aging?
I feel a sunday nap coming on...

just found this.

In a typical sleep cycle, we initially enter the early stages of sleep followed by deeper sleep stages and ultimately (after about 90 minutes) rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. For people suffering from narcolepsy, REM sleep occurs almost immediately in the sleep cycle, as well as periodically during the waking hours. It is in REM sleep that we can experience dreams and muscle paralysis -- which explains some of the symptoms of narcolepsy.

webmd
edit on 4-8-2013 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This weird thing used to happen to me mostly whenever I napped, the only way I can explain it is a feeling like there was an electrical current running through my head, I could almost feel the electricity in my mouth, does that make sense to anyone? It used to scare the crap out of me. I dont tend to nap these days. Would be grateful if anyone could point me to a possible source for this?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Midnight13

That is pretty freaky, I would be afraid to nap if that happened.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

They believe that narcolepsy is a genetic neurological issue.
As we get older we start to sleep less efficiently in general, but also the possibility of some level of sleep apnea also increases. Just with aging, you are going to have loss of muscle tone, a few added pounds in weight, changes in hormone levels, and decreased respiratory efficiency. Now add to that if you have a hereditary predisposition for sleep apnea, and any physical defects (like having broken your nose over the years). People have for years believed that sleep apnea is linked solely to weight, but that is not the only factor.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Sound like Hypnagogia but the metal taste almost sounds more akin to an Aura. It can also be from meds you take, dental issues, or a number of other things. Like always, if you have odd things going on, talk to a doctor before seeking paranormal reasons for what is occurring.

edit on 8/4/2013 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

That's what I've read too. Also, OP I have had those afternoon ones before. Usually when I'm really, really tired. In fact, that seems to be the situation when I have had them no matter what time of day/night. I wonder if it has to do with the brain trying to rush me into deep-sleep (b/c it's what I need) and sorta jumps the gun on the immobalization chemical. Either that, or I'm so tired I'm in dream-like, la-la-land anyway, and my brain is confused...

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by horseplay
I have started to wonder about narcolepsy too. Is it caused by poor sleep at night? not getting enough REM time? aging?

No, there isn't anything you can do to "get" narcolepsy. It is primarily genetic, however, sometimes an autoimmune response coupled with genetic predisposition can be enough to onset symptoms (for example, the scare that flu vaccines were causing narcolepsy in children would have likely been affecting people already with the genetic predispositions to develop symptoms.)

Sometimes patients with narco (like me) don't test positive for any genetic markers. (That just means they don't know what ALL the genetic markers are, just some of them.)

The onset of symptoms usually happens very early in a patient's life, but it can take decades before it is ever diagnosed! If you've had un-fixable sleep issues since early childhood, that might be a hint that one has narcolepsy.

Narcolepsy is genetically inherited, but has a very strong correlation with auto-immune disorders. I have both an auto-immune disorder and narcolepsy, as many N patients do. It's not quite clear what the relationship is though.

edit on 5-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Monday March 11, 2019

FYI: Today is "National Napping Day" due to the loss of one sleeping hour this past weekend, when turning our clocks forward.

Proper Form For Napping: twitter.com...

top topics

join