It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well Hello ATS Members!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My name is Johnny but you can call me Exj! I stumbled across this website no more than 10 minutes ago from starting this thread and I am extremely interested in life sciences as a whole. I try my best not to limit myself when it comes to exploring any topic because I have a passion for logical analysis and expanding my mind. My immediate family and friends are not the type of people I can speak with about the kind of elaborate topics I already see people discussing on this website, however that has not stopped my curiosity from touching on things with them and people I meet online. I can admit that I'm in no way an expert in any particular field, however more often than not I can manage to produce a reasonable opinion and shed insight from my own unique perspective. That being said, why don't I share a little more about myself!

I will be 24 this November, my intense passion for understanding life sciences began a year or two before my 20th birthday. Prior to that I spent my time partying and being very social so my brain was a little preoccupied and cared very little for anything beyond what I was doing haha. It wasn't until I took some courses at my local community college that things really took a turn for me mentally, I began focusing more on the importance and significance of expanding my mind. My life became about asking specific questions, making logical analyses and staying away from the "party scene". I occasionally let loose but definitely not as much as I used to. Since then I believe I have reached a special place in my mind where I am free, from fear and uncertainty (mostly). To be quite honest, every year since that switch flipped for me I have been increasingly more happy in general no matter what negativity or hardships I run into. I don't let things upset me or sway my emotions the way I did when I was younger. I've become more positive and determined to share that with everyone in my life regardless of how well I know them!

Anyway, I can recall the specific moment in my life where I truly started to question things and become interested in life sciences; specifically topics ranging anywhere between Quantum Physics, Microbiology, Psychology, Applied Technologies and Astronomy (those are just the major topics, trust me I enjoy discussing many things).

It was in a Psychology 101 course, when the instructor started explaining how neurons transmit chemical and electrical data through what's known as the "Synapse" to other neurons in our brain respectively. He described this Synapse as "the space between neurons", immediately my hand went up. I asked him, "What exactly do you mean by 'space'?" He went on to tell me that it is just space (he came closer to me) and said "like the space between us...space." It took every fiber in my body not to continue questioning him, but for sake of embarrassing myself by making a big deal of it I simply kept my mouth shut. I left that class with some very specific questions and theories about this "Synapse" and something in me, at this point, took over and would not allow me to let it go...I had to figure it out.

My next class was actually Computer Info Systems, so I was able to start researching with all of these fresh ideas still floating around in my head. I went to website after website looking for a more detailed explanation of what exactly the synapse is or what it is made of. Much to my surprise, not ONE website I could find explained the composition of a synapse...they all described it as the space or area between neurons...this was not enough for me. All that I could think at that time was no, it is not like the space between you (psych instructor) and me, that space is comprised of Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide and H2O particles etc..we do not have pockets of "AIR" between neurons in our brain. If that was indeed the case then our brains could never hold themselves together, they would be piles of mushy grey matter with no distinctive features.

I cannot explain to you how much it bothered me that researching Synapses online told me nothing about its true composition. It wasn't until several days later that I was able to put pieces together and explain exactly what websites and even my psych instructor could not...that a Synapse does not have a composition at all, it is VACUUM space! Like the space between our Earth and the Moon or like the space between an atoms nucleus and the electrons rapidly orbiting around it! Finally things made sense! To this day I still don't get how not one website I looked at could explain it as simply as I was able to. Either I figured it out before a very large portion of media sources did or it was information that society, including the scientists who discovered our brain under a microscope, decided was of no importance...that describing it as "space or area" was good enough for the youth of America..

*As soon as Dark Matter sprang up all over science media you can bet that my perspective of vacuum space and the synapse of a brain slightly shifted. I do not have anything specific to share regarding it though because my understanding of Dark Matter is still very premature, however it is something I continue to question and I have no doubt that I will soon be able to answer it. With or without the help of advancing technologies in this field. =)*

I went on about my life, taking this new passion along with me and since then I have grown more than I could of imagined! Hopefully you've enjoyed reading this, I look forward to exploring this website more and learning from all of you insightful individuals! For now though I need some breakfast, take care all!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Welcome to the site!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ExjKae

I believe I have reached a special place in my mind where I am free, from fear and uncertainty (mostly). To be quite honest, every year since that switch flipped for me I have been increasingly more happy in general no matter what negativity or hardships I run into.

Looks like we've got a thinker here... a recipe that always smells like troll food!

You've come to the right place to be tested against negativity.
Welcome and good luck!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ExjKae

Welcome Exj
Well if the composition of your intro is anything to go by I think you will be an good addition to the group .
Enjoy your stay and the quest for knowledge

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Welcome to the site!

Thenks!
Your mini profile is epic by the way, nice one. =)

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

Looks like we've got a thinker here... a recipe that always smells like troll food!

You've come to the right place to be tested against negativity.
Welcome and good luck!

Haha trust me I know it! By now though I have adapted to this generation of trolls, in reality I feed on them because the more they indulge me the more refined my perspectives become on whatever topic. I enjoy casual debating so just when they think they are getting to me, I am actually asking for more. The only way to truly "troll" me is to completely ignore me.

Thank you kindly sir!

Originally posted by gortex

Welcome Exj
Well if the composition of your intro is anything to go by I think you will be an good addition to the group .
Enjoy your stay and the quest for knowledge

Glad to know my habit for elaborate thoughts will be appreciated here! Cheers bud!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
10 minutes ago? WOW! (orders a stop to the presses) We have a rare event! An honest to goodness NEW person to ATS! 100% new? No lurking at all? Now that deserves my special stock. Yes indeed.

Have a glass! Oh, and welcome to the asylum. The inmates are generally less than lethal. Just watch those crazy quiet ones that like to lurk in corners. They can spring on ya without warning!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ExjKae

Hello! Welcome to ATS!

That's cool you're into science. No one in my family really cares about science either...I come here to discuss all of my interests.

I notice you live in AZ too! which college did you go to?

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ExjKae

Welcome to the ATS Family...enjoy the ride...

Des

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
10 minutes ago? WOW! (orders a stop to the presses) We have a rare event! An honest to goodness NEW person to ATS! 100% new? No lurking at all? Now that deserves my special stock. Yes indeed.

Have a glass! Oh, and welcome to the asylum. The inmates are generally less than lethal. Just watch those crazy quiet ones that like to lurk in corners. They can spring on ya without warning!

I shall take that glass of delicious carrot juice and drink it in your honor! Cheers bud. =)

Originally posted by Midnight13

Hello! Welcome to ATS!

That's cool you're into science. No one in my family really cares about science either...I come here to discuss all of my interests.

Another valley kid eh? Nice to meet you!

The college I mentioned is South Mountain Community College, though I only briefly attended. I was working 35+ hours a week closing every night (Redbrick Pizza) during those days and sadly it was too exhausting for me to manage both work and school, and considering I paid for my tuition with no financial aid I decided to drop my courses. I dropped out probably only a few weeks after the story I told in my OP to be honest. Unfortunately for me I have yet to get back into school. Since then I have tried applying for financial aid but it doesn't seem to be an option at the moment, looks like I am stuck with work until I can get it all straightened out. >.<

I do my best to independently study things on my free time though so it's not like I get no education whatsoever!

Originally posted by Destinyone

Des

I feel so welcomed. *sniffles*
Thank you!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Welcome to the inner workings of the synapses of ATS... in the opening story about your college lecture it sure seems that your B*S* detector was working properly back then. Good for you, Exj, because you will surely need a good B*S* detector here on ATS!!

A moderator will be around shortly to give you some introductory links to the ATS behavioral studies program. Please let me know if you have need for assistance with plumbing, wiretapping, breaking and entering, planting incriminating evidence, any and all dirty tricks and so forth.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExjKae

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I shall take that glass of delicious carrot juice and drink it in your honor! Cheers bud. =)

Hello! Welcome to ATS!

Another valley kid eh? Nice to meet you!

The college I mentioned is South Mountain Community College, though I only briefly attended. I was working 35+ hours a week closing every night (Redbrick Pizza) during those days and sadly it was too exhausting for me to manage both work and school, and considering I paid for my tuition with no financial aid I decided to drop my courses. I dropped out probably only a few weeks after the story I told in my OP to be honest. Unfortunately for me I have yet to get back into school. Since then I have tried applying for financial aid but it doesn't seem to be an option at the moment, looks like I am stuck with work until I can get it all straightened out. >.<

I do my best to independently study things on my free time though so it's not like I get no education whatsoever!

Originally posted by Destinyone

Des

I feel so welcomed. *sniffles*
Thank you!

Ah, South Mountain ok
I go to Phoenix college.

Well that sucks how you couldn't afford it:/ I didn't even get much in financial aid this semester...but it's also fun learning things on your own like you said. I like to research EVERYTHING and read books
or watch nerdy science videos on youtube lol

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Welcome to the funny farm.
Lots of great stuff to learn here.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic."-Abraham Lincoln.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
Welcome to the inner workings of the synapses of ATS... in the opening story about your college lecture it sure seems that your B*S* detector was working properly back then. Good for you, Exj, because you will surely need a good B*S* detector here on ATS!!

A moderator will be around shortly to give you some introductory links to the ATS behavioral studies program. Please let me know if you have need for assistance with plumbing, wiretapping, breaking and entering, planting incriminating evidence, any and all dirty tricks and so forth.

Mm yeah I definitely felt let down by that instructor, however I don't blame him because like I explained it seems the vast majority of online resources at the time also did not discuss the composition of synapses, or lack thereof.

A moderator you say? Sounds intriguing, I thank you for taking the time to welcome me! I'll definitely let you know when I start planning my next super secret mission to steal from the rich and give to the poor...meaning me of course!

Ah, South Mountain ok
I go to Phoenix college.

Well that sucks how you couldn't afford it:/ I didn't even get much in financial aid this semester...but it's also fun learning things on your own like you said. I like to research EVERYTHING and read books
or watch nerdy science videos on youtube lol

Oh very nice! What are your primary fields of interest? =P
Yeah I read online and watch videos/tv documentaries all the time. Can't stand crap television, which is 95% of tv, so I am left with educational programs anyway haha.

Originally posted by badgerprints
Welcome to the funny farm.
Lots of great stuff to learn here.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic."-Abraham Lincoln.

Thenk you Badger! I'll try my best to do more learning and giving proper insight than anything else here on ATS, you have my word!

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ExjKae

My interests are theoretical physics (some stuff I get and others I don't), astronomy, geography, paranormal, history (mostly ww2) computers...

Yeah! the only TV I watch is science channel, history 2 (because history 1 is #) travel, and the big bang theory

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

My interests are theoretical physics (some stuff I get and others I don't), astronomy, geography, paranormal, history (mostly ww2) computers...

Yeah! the only TV I watch is science channel, history 2 (because history 1 is #) travel, and the big bang theory

Oo theoretical physics, I would most definitely enjoy reading some of your thoughts about anything related to that topic! Theory-crafting tends to be one of my specialties considering it takes a good logical analysis to make accurate judgments about all relative possibilities. I'm sure we could talk for hours about a variety of topics to be honest. Paranormal isn't really my specialty but I do enjoy putting my mind to the test when it comes down to it!

I actually just read your old thread about your sisters and the metallic balls in the eerie room with the whistling, definitely has me asking myself questions.
I only wish you were old enough at the time to look more into it while the event was still fresh.

Feel free to shoot me a u2u whenever, though I don't think I can private message anyone but admins right now..

Btw SciHD all day baby, all day. =)
edit on 8/4/2013 by ExjKae because: Almost forgot. xP

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExjKae

Oo theoretical physics, I would most definitely enjoy reading some of your thoughts about anything related to that topic! Theory-crafting tends to be one of my specialties considering it takes a good logical analysis to make accurate judgments about all relative possibilities. I'm sure we could talk for hours about a variety of topics to be honest. Paranormal isn't really my specialty but I do enjoy putting my mind to the test when it comes down to it!

I actually just read your old thread about your sisters and the metallic balls in the eerie room with the whistling, definitely has me asking myself questions.
I only wish you were old enough at the time to look more into it while the event was still fresh.

Feel free to shoot me a u2u whenever, though I don't think I can private message anyone but admins right now..

Btw SciHD all day baby, all day. =)
edit on 8/4/2013 by ExjKae because: Almost forgot. xP

I got into theoretical physics when I was interested in the possibility of time travel. I'm still interested in it...and I think it's possible. I believe in many worlds theory it just makes sense. It's hard to really verbalize this stuff, but I can see it through images much better
but yeah we can talk about it!

Oh yeah! that made me know that paranormal things ARE REAL. I believe they came from another dimension somehow....damn I wish I had pics of them!

I can tell you some strange stories. I have quite a few

I forgot how many posts you need or how long yo have to be here to send a U2U.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I got into theoretical physics when I was interested in the possibility of time travel. I'm still interested in it...and I think it's possible. I believe in many worlds theory it just makes sense. It's hard to really verbalize this stuff, but I can see it through images much better
but yeah we can talk about it!

Oh yeah! that made me know that paranormal things ARE REAL. I believe they came from another dimension somehow....damn I wish I had pics of them!

I can tell you some strange stories. I have quite a few

I forgot how many posts you need or how long yo have to be here to send a U2U.

Hehe time travel, I can share a bit of insight on the matter.

Quickly, as we know, gravity plays a large role in the effects of space and time. The higher the force of gravity, the more it warps the fabric of space and time around it. Alternatively less gravity affects less space and time. For example, if it was possible for a human to travel to a black hole and successfully orbit it without being sucked in..time would severely be affected for that person. Let's say he or she orbited the black hole for 2 years (the numbers are not accurate I just want you to get an idea), when finally returning home...50 years will have went by in the 2 years that human was gone. This is because the black holes massive force of gravity slowed time drastically and time on Earth will have stayed the same. In all respects you could say the person in this experiment traveled forward in time relative to our Earths time, aging only 2 Earth years while everyone else ages 50.

I first learned about this when I watched one of Stephen Hawking's videos about time travel on youtube. I'll link the 2 videos I know of so you can watch. =)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ExjKae

That would be cool to orbit around a black hole for 2 years and not age
I'd be 50 but still look 23! haha

I'll check those videos out! I'm actually going to the library right now (nerdy i know)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

That would be cool to orbit around a black hole for 2 years and not age
I'd be 50 but still look 23! haha

I'll check those videos out! I'm actually going to the library right now (nerdy i know)

Haha yar! I took you up on your offer and added you on skype, it will be easier to chat there than replying back and forth here on ATS. Talk to you later and have fun at the library!

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Glad you joined

Have a welcome cake

Enjoy your stay
Peace and love
-nat the blue eyed cat-

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join