It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Car Makes Public Debut With Drive-to-Fly Demo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
How many of you growing up wanted a flying car? Well, Terrafugia is making your dreams come true! Today they test flew a flying car and it was successful in front of a public audience. Imagine early people starting to drive vehicles and also fly planes. Now you have both in one! I can imagine it would be a long time before anyone has a flying car because a lot of laws will have to pass, the price tag, etc. But I have hope that the future is bright for flying cars!

At the EAA AirVenture show in Wisconsin, Transition has made an appearance for several years, but this is the first year it showed spectators what it was made of, going from drive right into flight and back down again.

“It’s the convenience of having your car and plane in one package,” Richard Gersh, Terrafugia’s vice president of business development, said of the $279,000 car/plane, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “It’s the next ‘wow’ car.”

The plane, which has a top cruising altitude of 100 miles per hour, is not expected to make it to the public until at least 2015. A pilot license will be required to fly Transition.

Source

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's an airplane with collapsible wings.

I wouldn't count on seeing this parallel parking in NY anytime soon. Could you imagine the traffic? Or worse, the cost of liability insurance?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
A cruising altitude of 100MPH eh? wow...

Awesome car/plane. I wouldn't mind having one. I'd start an inter-city taxi service if i had one of these.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The PAL-V

pal-v.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
kind of a cool airplane, but looks USELESS as a car. it is rather large for a "two seat" car, doesn't appear to have much in the way of cargo space either, so i guess you can forget using it for a "getaway weekend" not to mention the price tag for this "toy" of $279,000. i would also assume that you would have to go to an airport in order to "take off" as an airplane, i just can't see them letting you 'convert" and take off from a public road. it also looks like it would be a bit awkward to drive with those folded up wings, not to mention that rather long tail extending out from behind the rear wheels would make turning a pain with that "swing room" it would need. i also have to wonder how well it would handle those pesky little impacts in parking lots and such, would it getting hit by a moron who can't park, or even a windblown shopping cart cause it to need a "safety inspection" to be sure it is still "airworthy"?

honestly you would be better off buying a "real" car and a "real" airplane. for example a Cessna 162 Skycatcher, is a "two seat" airplane, has a speed of 124 mph compared to this "plane/car's" 100mph. and ONLY COSTS $149,000.

i see it has 100 orders already i assume that that is mainly "rich techy" type people with money to burn, and collectors of cars and oddities.

all in all a "cool toy", with no real practicality.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
these are impressive for what they actually do but are no where near what i had imagined we would have by now when i was a kid and i am completely let down because for where we're at in technology there's not a chance i'll realize "the flying car" as i've seen in my head in my lifetime. darn you Jetsons!!

as a species.. i feel in my heart we're DE-evolving..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Not really a car that flys , more like a plane that drives.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42
The PAL-V

pal-v.com...

hmm now that looks a little easier to drive on the road, no folded up wings in the way and no extra long "tail behind the rear wheels. it does 111.8mph in the air so a bit faster, still no real "luggage area by the looks of things. i rather like how the "push prop" and even main prob fold in on themselves for storage. although i can tell just looking at it that unlike the "presentation video" implies, it would NOT be street legal in North America just due to the fact that there are not "wheel fenders" on it, so it would need a body style overhaul to become street legal at the very least. no price given for it that i can see so can't compare that.

all said and done i think i prefer this one to the other in most ways. thanks for bringing it to our attention earthling, i had not heard of or seen this one before unlike the other one.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Well would you?!?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
We are going so backwards.

Gas stoves with Model T ignition coils were good enough for Tesla around
New York City and his frequent flights to Colorado Springs, Colorado.

My father even knew about the iron stove flights of Tesla.
How did he know. Listened to the news before non Tesla news took control.

Tesla ventured out of his New York City hotel window at night

The conversion formula indicates that it might be adequate to propel a small, man-carrying saucer, such as the early electrical prototypes in which Tesla ventured out of his New York City hotel window at night, making nocturnal excursions over the city in a machine he called his “flivver” machine, which was described as being about the size of a “gas stove” 1. This astonishing scenario must have been what scared the hell out of the oil companies. Most researchers have erroneously associated Tesla’s “flivver” machine to the VTOL-type airplane which he patented in 1928.

When people saw a iron stove they wondered when will they be able to fly one.
The VTOL patent got in just in time with dual counter rotating engines the Nazis used in
their first helicopter demonstration. Another patent Tesla could not go after as all is fair
in war so no royalties for you. Marconi claiming WWII royalties in New York City got
hit with the Court realization Tesla was the radio inventor all along these very years.
Now for the saucer surprise cause the dual engine gyro stabilize his flying machine.
No more wobble but the jumping around in YouTube videos has got people saying
demons and things that just are not so.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Until they start looking like Deloreans, I don't care.
But seriously, the future is right around the corner.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

How is that a car?

Its just a small airplane..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Flying Car Makes Public Debut With Drive-to-Fly Demo

Not a flying car. It is an aero-plane... like those with folding wings used on carriers for over a half century.

A flying car has no wings... ah-la those by Moller.

To achieve flying 'cars' in the realest sense, we need to eliminate runways... because not everyone can afford to live in an aerodrome subdivision.

Nope.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The article said flying car and that's what I posted. Sorry, I didn't really research into the article and I thought it was interesting enough to share.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
The article said flying car and that's what I posted. Sorry, I didn't really research into the article and I thought it was interesting enough to share.

Que Sera, Sera
edit on 1-8-2013 by redoubt because: Conscience

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
These two technologies will take another few years to develop more into a practical vehicle for daily use, but i think our kids will be flying and driving in their flying car

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yeah not a flying car.
A flying car would have no wings.
This thing has wings folded up and is a plane.
This sort of contraption come up every five years supported by people that
know making a true flying car can't be gone due to you know who.

I like to think the VW Bug first made in WWII Germany had the best chance
since the tall tales of Tesla and his iron stove flights. I mean if an iron stove
can fly then a car with a air cooled motor in the trunk has a chance.

A car named Tesla comes along that is as bad as an Edison car with no
free energy for gas. Where do people get these conflicting ideas about cars
and Tesla and air planes.

Illuminati control is putting out these plane/cars and Tesla cars that ain't.
A Foo VW Bug was a hope for the 60's turned into a hippy mobile.
A Foo for every one just will not happen perhaps all the coils are monitored
and putting one in a VW Bug will be noticed. Is it Big Brother that is watching
or has he taken away all the knowledge already.

edit on 8/1/2013 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
By 2050, we will be parking our flying transportation like The Jetsons. Who says?

Ask Dr. Charles Tramont.

feruscreative.com...

new topics

top topics

join